IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

I just wanted to report out that over the weekend I connected up another turntable of mine (VPI Traveler) to the Mytek phono stage. I used both a MM and a low output MC cartridge. I was very impressed! I was really surprised that the Mytek had enough gain for the low output MC cartridge. The sound was very smooth, detailed, warm and open with both new and old vinyl pressings. I was so impressed that I decided to test my main turntable (Pro-ject Xtension 10) with a Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II MC cartridge. For this table, I've been using a Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II phono stage. Again, I was very impressed with the Mytek phono stage. I still need to do some A/B tests but again, I was very pleasantly surprised by the performance.

I just ordered Brooklyn Black (Demo) from Music Direct tonight.Happened to check their site and got the good deal.

Now I can compare it to a borrowed Benchmark 2 which I've had for 10 days or so.

So after 3 weeks the Brooklyn wins out tonewise and feature wise over the Benchmark 2.

Is any one else having a problem with a pronounced pop when stopping/pausing a DSD track in native DSD with microrendu. It happens in a second or two after display on Brooklyn changes from DSD to 88.2/24.

I'm on the latest firmware update and using Roon.

Thanks

Greetings from the suburbs of Chicago!

I am a new owner of the Chicagoan -- oops -- I mean Brooklyn :)

A few questions if you all would be so kind to answer.

Regarding burn in : I plan on burning my new unit in by using USB from my laptop. My question is do I have to have the Brooklyn's outputs plugged into my amp? I am assuming the outputs need to see ohms resistance to be burned in as well as the rest of the electronics chain. Any thoughts on this?

At some pint in time I will buy or use a power supply. This is new to me. can I use a AGM deep cell battery? Perhaps it is not that simple?

Also Gearsluts seem to have a high opinion of this unit : [h=3]TeraDak DC200W 12V 13A TS - 200 NAS HiFi fever linear power supply[/h]Any opinions on this unit?

Thank everybody :)

Nice! My opinion is the Brooklyn is the best value out there and kicks butt as a DAC, I really like the sound of it and I also have an AURALIC Vega that I really enjoy but the Brooklyn continues to impress me.

Could you compare them for me?

( Brooklyn vs Vega)

I wanna know that , is it different much?

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

Greetings from the suburbs of Chicago!

Regarding burn in : I plan on burning my new unit in by using USB from my laptop. My question is do I have to have the Brooklyn's outputs plugged into my amp? I am assuming the outputs need to see ohms resistance to be burned in as well as the rest of the electronics chain. Any thoughts on this?

I think that it suffices to let the unit on for some time and feed it with some music. In the menu you can specify that both the line out and the headphone need to get power. No need to attach anything else to it.

Usually one thinks that burning in is mainly a function of the currency that shapes the electronics, but in my weird world I also think that the unit has to get used to your place and human being. a015.gif

Marc

So after 3 weeks the Brooklyn wins out tonewise and feature wise over the Benchmark 2.

Is any one else having a problem with a pronounced pop when stopping/pausing a DSD track in native DSD with microrendu. It happens in a second or two after display on Brooklyn changes from DSD to 88.2/24.

I'm on the latest firmware update and using Roon.

Thanks

Yes, I am also getting the same loud "popping" noise you mentioned with the Brooklyn, using my Microrendu, and I am using JRiver. It is pretty bad, and I have to turn the volume down every time before stopping, pausing or changing to a different file type from the DSD track. My Brooklyn also tends to ocassionally not lock in properly when switching from DSD tracks to other formats, setting itself at incorrect sampling rates on the new track, and causing a terrible, ultra-high pitched distortion/squeal. I have to shut the Brooklyn off and re-start it in order for it to re-set itself and select the correct sampling rate. I am also running the latest firmware, and have had this problem for quite a few months.

Could you compare them for me?

( Brooklyn vs Vega)

I wanna know that , is it different much?

I think I like both DACs for different reasons. I think the Vega is closer to a warm analog sound as compared to the Brooklyn. I remember when i first listened to the Vega and I was so amazed how "not digital" it sounded. It is very polite and has a deep soundstage. However, it is less forgiving on recordings that aren't great whereas i find the Brooklyn very forgiving. I also like the punch and bass from the Brooklyn and it boogies very well. The Vega also lacks many of the features that the Brooklyn has. But at the end of the day, for complete sound quality alone, I would still pick the Vega especially when I run the clock in "exact" mode. But like I said, the Brooklyn is amazing, there isn't a win or lose on either DAC. Both are a testament of technology advances in computer audiophile and I feel very fortunate that I'm able to experience.

Hope that helps,

I think I like both DACs for different reasons. I think the Vega is closer to a warm analog sound as compared to the Brooklyn. I remember when i first listened to the Vega and I was so amazed how "not digital" it sounded. It is very polite and has a deep soundstage. However, it is less forgiving on recordings that aren't great whereas i find the Brooklyn very forgiving. I also like the punch and bass from the Brooklyn and it boogies very well. The Vega also lacks many of the features that the Brooklyn has. But at the end of the day, for complete sound quality alone, I would still pick the Vega especially when I run the clock in "exact" mode. But like I said, the Brooklyn is amazing, there isn't a win or lose on either DAC. Both are a testament of technology advances in computer audiophile and I feel very fortunate that I'm able to experience.

Hope that helps,

Thank you so much. ^^

Actually i love analog sound. Before i bought brooklyn, Vega and PS direct stream junior are also on my list.

I don't know that i chosen a wrong choice or what? Brooklyn produce very clear sound and very good detail but like you mentioned, it sounds digitaly. I compared it to my old DAC (Nad M51), M51 sounded more musical and more fluid than Brooklyn even though M51 sounded noisier than Brooklyn.

When i play some piano or violin tune, i always miss NAD M51.

But Brooklyn is good for rock and metal music.

By the way, have you ever compared Vega to Ayre QB9 DSD or PS DS Junior? How was it?

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

Thank you so much. ^^

Actually i love analog sound. Before i bought brooklyn, Vega and PS direct stream junior are also on my list.

I don't know that i chosen a wrong choice or what? Brooklyn produce very clear sound and very good detail but like you mentioned, it sounds digitaly. I compared it to my old DAC (Nad M51), M51 sounded more musical and more fluid than Brooklyn even though M51 sounded noisier than Brooklyn.

By the way, have you ever compared Vega to Ayre QB9 DSD or PS DS Junior? How was it?

I personally don't think you made a wrong choice at all. It's definitely not a night a day comparison between the two. My brother listened to both and he really liked the Brooklyn, he was very blown away. Also, to add to the equation that i'm not running my DACs through a PC, but running them both through the Auralic Aries. I'm also running an Sbooster LPS on the Brooklyn and the Aries. Plus, I have Not tested the sound of the Brooklyn through the XLR Balanced to my amp (using nice interconnects), but I'm running the Vega through the XLR Balanced, mainly because the Vega takes more advantage of the balanced connection. That would probably be my next test though.

In addition, you throw MQA into the mix, and that Brooklyn sounds unbelievable, my brother almost fell out of his chair. The Vega obviously doesn't support MQA.

Thank you so much. ^^

I didn't miss my Vega for minute after buying the Brooklyn.

On the Vega, I had constant, random skipping in Exact mode. Secondly, in general, I feel the sound quality of the Brooklyn was much better especially after replacing the internal SMPS with a high quality external LPS. Bass is much richer, and highs better articulated without the midrange warmth of the Vega. Fed with a good power supply the Brooklyn really opens up with a natural presentation and sound stage size that rivals the Vega. The volume control on the Vega left much to be desired, where on the Brooklyn I never felt the signal was damaged from either the analog or digital attenuation modes. Lastly the Brooklyn has user upgradable firmware where the Vega needed a journey to China to accomplish the same.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Just put the Mytek through my CR Developments Charisma pre amp for the first time and initial results sound good. As a few people before have said it sounds better being run through a pre amp. I still can't think why as straight lines are usually preferable?

Just put the Mytek through my CR Developments Charisma pre amp for the first time and initial results sound good. As a few people before have said it sounds better being run through a pre amp. I still can't think why as straight lines are usually preferable?

It should be noted that Michal at Mytek designed preamps in a previous life which might indicate why the Brooklyn sounds great with its internal preamp as well as why the phonostage sounds great also.

I and a friend both found that setting the Brooklyn for ANALOG (with gain set for 100) in conjunction with a preamp gave the best sonics. Another friend actually found that doing the same but with Bklyn set for DIGITAL sounded best.

I think you need to experiment since it not a case of what if globally better...but what works best for you.

As always, YMMV!