IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Out of curiosity. Should I have tried harder to get a Brooklyn to try out? etc.

I don't know the Schitt, so I can't tell. But then you should try to invite someone with a(n) (unmodified) Brooklyn at your place, because that's the way to tell differences. Or else, visit someone with your Schiit. I know several Dutch people with a Brooklyn, most of them at the Dutch high-end forum, but also Mr Kamstra here.

Marc

Hi,

I'm new with Brooklyn, so I have few question about working this dac:

- I observed that it runs a little bit warm to hot, the same behavior you observed?

- when switching from digital inputs to analog or when I shut it down I can hear some pops, not that powerful to stress my self, but shouldn't be there. You have the same?

- what about analog input, the signal it is digitized and then converted back to analog?

- big question about power supply, I want to try Teddy Pardo rated at 12V and 4,5A, do you think it is enough if I run without headphone amplifier?

- I'm using it with power amplifier as a dac and preamplifier and I use analog volume, when I increase or decrease the volume from small to high I can hear some fine clicks, pops. It is normal?

I'm using last firmware, dac it running 2 monoblock from Jeff Rowland 201.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Firmware here is still 2.20. I use the Brooklyn as DAC and pre-amp, just as you. I can hear no clicks when increasing or decreasing the volume. I use the analog volume control (too lazy to differentiate between analog or digital, so just a matter of taste). BTW if I use the knob on the front for that, you can hear it spinning (!)

I know someone with another DAC, which gives considerable clicks with volume changing. Awkward.

It's a black one, and after being on for a day it gets nicely warm, not to hot to touch it though. I really don't mind. But give it enough space to dissipate the heath, err, warmth.

Switching between inputs can give some clicks, that's how it is constructed.

It would be nice if Mytek could tell something about the way analog signals go through the Brooklyn. I still find that quite vague. Not that it matters much to me. Just curious, like you.

Marc

Firmware here is still 2.20. I use the Brooklyn as DAC and pre-amp, just as you. I can hear no clicks when increasing or decreasing the volume. I use the analog volume control (too lazy to differentiate between analog or digital, so just a matter of taste). BTW if I use the knob on the front for that, you can hear it spinning (!)

I know someone with another DAC, which gives considerable clicks with volume changing. Awkward.

It's a black one, and after being on for a day it gets nicely warm, not to hot to touch it though. I really don't mind. But give it enough space to dissipate the heath, err, warmth.

Switching between inputs can give some clicks, that's how it is constructed.

It would be nice if Mytek could tell something about the way analog signals go through the Brooklyn. I still find that quite vague. Not that it matters much to me. Just curious, like you.

Marc

I see you most likely live close by. Maybe you'd like to compare the Brooklyn with the Gungnir Multibit.

[br]

I had opportunity to test in my chain an preamplifier from Jeff Rowland, model Capri S2, I was curious about those clicks which appear when I change source in Brooklyn and also I wanted to know if I really need true preamplifier or Brooklyn it is good as it is.

The clicks you cannot hear now, because with preamplifier you never use maximum volume in general.

About Brooklyn as preamplifier, in my opinion sound it is more transparent then through additional preamplifier, and JR Capri 2 it costs twice than Brooklyn.

Still, the sound on Capri had more body, but I believe that power supply on Brooklyn will correct this and still cost less than additional preamplifier, power cord and signal cables.

Just to give you idea about system used for testing: mytek brooklyn / Jeff Rowland 201 / Triangle

The clicks you cannot hear now, because with preamplifier you never use maximum volume in general.

Just tested this. Normally, I use the preamp part of my beloved LFD integrated amplifier + the preamp part of the Brooklyn together. The LFD at half maximum output, so that I have enough larm, and using the Brooklyn to regulate the output (with the remote control).

But for the test I disabled the LFD preamp. Now I can hear some verry tiny clicks, from about -50 dB till 0 (loudest), but only with my ears at the speaker.

With the LFD as preamp together, the clicks start to emerge just before 0 dB.

The clicks in switching between inputs are there, surely. They are not harmfull, but in your mind. So... don't mind!

Marc

Common, similar recommendation from Harbeth to use very common and cheap speaker cable. Even car battery it is good from a point of view, it is not designed to deliver very fast power.

Brooklyn with good power supply it is a killer, performances comes closer to Manhattan. Same situation with Harbeth HL5 Plus, with good cables you get soundstage, coherence, fine details and it will cost you 4500+1000 €, you can fill up rooms up to 30 m2 or maybe more. The next speakers cost 12k€ ... so people's buy cheaper model and try to improve it with less cost.

LM

I would not suggest a car battery, or most other types of batteries. I have tried them in the past, and they tend to sound "dark" and overly warm, with a closed-in soundstage. If you like the idea of a power supply that will get your gear separated from dirty AC power, Vinnie Rossi is supposed to be coming out with an ultracap power supply that will work with the Brooklyn. I have ordered a smaller ultracap power supply from Uptone Audio to try on my Microrendu, which is streaming to my Brooklyn DAC. If I like what it does better than my current DC power supply, I will be getting the bigger one from Vinnie when it comes out.

Just discovered that the Brooklyn does not play mono tracks. I have here a life radio recording of Norma with Maria Callas, dating from 1955 (I was 2 at the time). It is of course mono. So all the tracks are just plain mono, 16 bit 44.1 Khz.

The Brooklyn keeps silent (in awe?) when I feed these to it. My Olive 4 itself can play the music via its own internal dac though.

With Audacity I changed one of the tracks from mono to 'left channel', imported it on the Olive, and now the Brooklyn is content with it, and outputs it in the left channel, as might be expected.

So a solution is to duplicate the mono tracks tot left and right channel streams, and import the whole business again, and edit them again. But my hope is, that Mytek can do something (simple), so that also those very old, grey haired mono tracks can be played by the Brooklyn.

Marc