IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

15 hours ago, dbastin said:

Given there has been discussion here about SFP+, you may be interested to hear Taiko's new switch can be SFP+.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/taiko-audio-extreme-switch/

Interesting! Strange that it’s just one port in and one port out. The Innuos Phoenix Net is three out, though only RJ45. But it allows me to have my server and two streamers all on one switch. It’d be cool if Innuos added optical!

plus... pics are low quality/out of focus 😂

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

44 minutes ago, barrows said:

OMG, really...  >$5000.00 for a switch with only two ports, and supplied with a cheapo SMPS...  No discussion from Taiko what might even make it good, just that the case is super expensive (machined from a block of copper and chromed).  Does it have a good clock, for example... no mention of such.  Low noise internal circuitry, no mention of such...  All they mention is the case???

The last few pages of the Taiko-hinged QSA thread on WBF is disturbing in a very similar way. Almost tempted to report to honcho Amir.

53 minutes ago, barrows said:

OMG, really...  >$5000.00 for a switch with only two ports, and supplied with a cheapo SMPS...  No discussion from Taiko what might even make it good, just that the case is super expensive (machined from a block of copper and chromed).  Does it have a good clock, for example... no mention of such.  Low noise internal circuitry, no mention of such...  All they mention is the case???

I remember an Innuos piece at the last RMAF being the subject of rave reviews. I gave it a good listen and didn't see/hear what the fuss was about.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

12 minutes ago, barrows said:

The difference with the watch analogy above and high end audio, is that the high end watch aficionado understands the actual performance of the 6 figure watch is no better that that of the $20 watch, in high end audio, many are led to believe that extremely expensive gear actually performs better than more moderately priced options, which in most cases, is total BS.

There is significant delusion on that WBF QSA thread. Actually two threads. Quantum alert. I don't like feeding ASR. Anyway - as you say - it's all OK.

42 minutes ago, Jud said:

I remember an Innuos piece at the last RMAF being the subject of rave reviews. I gave it a good listen and didn't see/hear what the fuss was about.

I found the PhoenixNet really cleaned things up and made an audible impact. But I also think I have a terribly noisy router, so I can see how YRMV. (The PhoenixNet has four ports and embeds a Sean Jacobs PS).

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Not exactly true. They shared some on their concept. It won't make it any penny cheaper tho.

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2023/01/new-taiko-audio-extreme-switch-and.html?m=1

8 minutes ago, robi20064 said:

Not exactly true. They shared some on their concept. It won't make it any penny cheaper tho.

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2023/01/new-taiko-audio-extreme-switch-and.html?m=1

I do not see any mention of the technicalities of their switch in the linked advert...  no mention of the design implementations which make their switch "good", just discussions of various ways to connect things and the case.  To be entirely clear, my referral was to the information on their website linked above.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

13 minutes ago, barrows said:

I do not see any mention of the technicalities of their switch in the linked advert...  no mention of the design implementations which make their switch "good", just discussions of various ways to connect things and the case.  To be entirely clear, my referral was to the information on their website linked above.

The lack of more / other detail might be intentional. I would be also more interested in what was exactly optimized in the software side by the TACDD interface, but I'm afraid not a whole lot will be openly discussed (and I can partly understand the business reasons).

...it's a switch, technically, but not designed to support multiple devices in the network. It is meant to integrate directly with the Extreme.

Some of the functionality inside the Extreme will be off-loaded to the switch. The statement is this, and other electronic design elements, will further reduce noise when used with the new network card. It was ~7K for switch and card, with DAC cable and SFPs (copper-coax, not optical). 

The real excitement is with the pending battery solution. Here is some info, if interested:

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/extreme-switch-network-card-bundle/

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-739

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

45 minutes ago, barrows said:

Exactly Alex.  The EtherREGEN is packed full of high end engineering choices, and the best parts for the job, designed with very little compromise.  And the selling price was very reasonable for what one was getting.  I am looking forward to the new version with Gb throughput!

It does look like Nordost has actually designed their own switch, at least from the form factor... 

Or just paid $20 more for a random Chinese manufacturer to redesign an existing gigabit one into a round shape PCB.

2 hours ago, robi20064 said:

Or just paid $20 more for a random Chinese manufacturer to redesign an existing gigabit one into a round shape PCB.

Made in USA, so... no.  It is also doubtful that Nordost would be able to meet the MOQ needs of an existing switch manufacturer.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Sure, but have they explained anything technically unique about the piece? I find it interesting that although their excellent marketing has garnered dozens of reviews of that $3,200 switch (paired with their $2,750 power supply, $300 QSource feet, and $340 DC cable), not one review in the entire year since introduction has opened the unit up and posted a photo of the board.  Forgive my overstepping, but I truly believe that at those prices companies ought to "show their work" and explain any technical uniquenesses.

I cannot speak for Nordost, but they do discuss some details at their web site, but they are (likely purposefully) a bit vague.  My point was just to suggest that at least they did do (or hire someone to do) a "ground up" board design.  In any case their pricing is consistent with their sales model and required dealer margins in the "accessories" market (I also expect that those who purchase in person, from a brick and mortar dealer will be able to negotiate a "deal", which is common for this sales model).  Also, their sales model allows at home demos, so a potential customer can audition the product with no risk.

Clearly, Nordost's sales model is quite different from that of UpTone, or Sonore for that matter, which is fine with me, different strokes...  I understand their approach, while, being somewhat technically oriented myself, I would prefer to know more details, I understand why a company might choose to not share those (few consumers can be trusted to actually comprehend and understand what all the details mean as a way to discern between products).  When the potential customer can take the unit home for a demo, knowing technical details which they may not have any understanding of is fairly irrelevant-even if I personally, would like to know more.

SONORE computer audio

On 2/21/2023 at 9:02 AM, dbastin said:

Given there has been discussion here about SFP+, you may be interested to hear Taiko's new switch can be SFP+.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/taiko-audio-extreme-switch/

They also have a PCIe network adapter/switch, and a router in the works.

Both are probably only called a 'switch' because (I presume)  they are fundamentally a switch (even if only 1 port in and 1 port out).

I have been wondering when someone was gonna 'hot rod' SFP+ with audiophile performance parts.  But I was hoping for a much lower price tag.

Given this comment ...

... I am curious how EtherRegen would measure against SFP+ specs (is it stressed eye etc? ... I am not expecting a firm answer, just curious).

I also note people are preferring SFP+ modules when used with EtherRegen (eg. Afterdark).

So back to topic, I suppose EtherRegen might have even lower jitter, noise, etc than SFP+ so using SFP+ modules are complimentry icing even if the output of Side B is 100MB.

Hence, using EtherRegen as a FMC with fibre > SFP+ module > ER - moat - Side B (or vise versa) I presume has compounding benefits  (??).

To be clear, there is a difference between an SFP(+) module and 10GBase-X (10 GbE). Many 1 GbE devices accept SFP(+) modules and run them at 1 GbE. In the very beginning of this thread I discussed using SFP(+) modules with 1 GbE equipment.

The "stressed eye pattern" isn't part of the SFP(+) specification, rather the 10GBase-X specification (802.3ae) see: IEEE 802.3 - Wikipedia

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 2/27/2023 at 2:01 PM, barrows said:

The EtherREGEN is packed full of high end engineering choices, and the best parts for the job, designed with very little compromise.  And the selling price was very reasonable for what one was getting.

On 2/27/2023 at 10:38 AM, barrows said:

a cheapo SMPS...  No discussion from Taiko what might even make it good

Probably you missed this info about the Taiko Switch. And I think Taiko can say the same; “The switch is packed full of high end engineering choices, and the best parts for the job, designed with very little compromise”. 

Reading about it can be very informative, don’t get discouraged by the price (“whether the selling price is reasonable or not for what one is getting”) . Attached an 18 page PDF with information found on WBF in thread 'Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème'.

Reviews start coming in this week and one can only expect it to be better with a good LPS as you observed.

(…) I think that this is only the second time that a server manufacturer has actually built a hi-fi switch from scratch.

The finding that the output from one Taiko switch into an Extreme is better than the output of two 3rd party switches into an Extreme is exactly the sign of a successful design and implementation. It should be so.

the clamshell-like casing of the new Taiko offers quite some benefits in terms of both EMI ingress and resonance control. (…)

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/post-859834

BE6C0E52-4D75-4A93-ABB5-A5C09AF5AF2F.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 13.26.06.pdf

13 minutes ago, barrows said:

I am sad that I wasted my time

Sorry for that @barrows. I was not aware that manufacturers have to share exactly what is in their boxes to merit your attention. And that’s ok. It just limits your choices in an other way. I understand it is not for you, but I took away many interesting cues for my basic system from the Taiko thread @ WBF.