IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

On 1/14/2023 at 6:45 PM, SQFIRST said:

I find that the Roonserver is similar to any source component in the system and benefits from good power supply and careful setup. I am open to learning new things and changing course that creates better listening experience so I am interested in hearing any different experience others have.

My server that Roon runs on is a Dell Poweredge in which I have installed a Mellanox 100Gbe NIC. This NIC is powered by a bog standard PCIe bus/PSU. The low noise/jitter requirements to operate at 100GbE are a marvel of modern technology. These NICs have been engineered with their own onboard power systems and are not dependent on a fancy PSU. Similarly modern PCIe buses at PCIe-4/5/6 require vanishingly low noise/jitter in order to work, and they work. Admittedly common mode noise can be generated but again the fiber is a perfect solution for that.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

45 minutes ago, jabbr said:

My server that Roon runs on is a Dell Poweredge in which I have installed a Mellanox 100Gbe NIC. This NIC is powered by a bog standard PCIe bus/PSU. The low noise/jitter requirements to operate at 100GbE are a marvel of modern technology. These NICs have been engineered with their own onboard power systems and are not dependent on a fancy PSU. Similarly modern PCIe buses at PCIe-4/5/6 require vanishingly low noise/jitter in order to work, and they work. Admittedly common mode noise can be generated but again the fiber is a perfect solution for that.

Makes me wanna try 100Gbe

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

@jabbr thank you for sharing. It is an impressive setup. I can certainly appreciate the jitter control and subsequently, better audio quality aspect in your implementation. My current network state is a simple home user setup. Now that I know about the tech in the Mellanox it will certainly be on my radar. Thank you again for your pointer on balanced power isolation as I implemented that on the power section for my roonserver and it is significantly quieter now.

6 hours ago, dbastin said:

If you change a cable or power supply on your dirty side, can you hear any difference?

I still haven't made an AB, today I have a Wireworld Chroma 7 between the server and the router.  I will do this test.  

The problem is that all the other network cables on the dirty side are common, they will certainly narrow the differences, if any.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I did it because ... I could ... and already had a run of single-mode fiber from my basement to my office. Video/photo editing might see a difference. I tested various 10,25,40 and my 100Gbe NICs and honestly can't hear a difference. The 100Gbe does have infinitesimally low jitter/noise and that fact that it works, and the fact that it doesn't require any special PSU for the PCIe bus powering tells me that Mellanox (and other NIC vendors) must have engineered impressive on card power. No doubt ultra low noise linear power chips behind ultralow noise voltage converters etc. My 100Gbe switch plugs into the wall, and similarly although you can do 48V DC power, it all gets voltage converted anyways. There's no ability to externally clock this stuff and since the phase noise requirements are vanishingly low really there is no need nor way to optimize it further.

But by all means I'd love for someone with great hearing to replicate my results!

18 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I did it because ... I could ... and already had a run of single-mode fiber from my basement to my office. Video/photo editing might see a difference. I tested various 10,25,40 and my 100Gbe NICs and honestly can't hear a difference. The 100Gbe does have infinitesimally low jitter/noise and that fact that it works, and the fact that it doesn't require any special PSU for the PCIe bus powering tells me that Mellanox (and other NIC vendors) must have engineered impressive on card power. No doubt ultra low noise linear power chips behind ultralow noise voltage converters etc. My 100Gbe switch plugs into the wall, and similarly although you can do 48V DC power, it all gets voltage converted anyways. There's no ability to externally clock this stuff and since the phase noise requirements are vanishingly low really there is no need nor way to optimize it further.

I’m just playing 3-8GB files and want them to start as soon as I press play. Faster speed = good :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, SQFIRST said:

@jabbr thank you for sharing. It is an impressive setup. I can certainly appreciate the jitter control and subsequently, better audio quality aspect in your implementation. My current network state is a simple home user setup. Now that I know about the tech in the Mellanox it will certainly be on my radar. Thank you again for your pointer on balanced power isolation as I implemented that on the power section for my roonserver and it is significantly quieter now.

Sure, the other NIC's we have talked about (besides Intel) are Solarflare which were designed for ultralow jitter. Xilinx acquired Solarflare and AMD acquired Xilinx  (NVidia acquired Mellanox). Both have new "Smart" NICs which incorporate ARM cores (and perhaps FPGA) on the NIC itself to further offload processing from the CPU. Great stuff for NVMEoF and AI/inferencing etc...

Again, they all sound great to me and I can't detect a difference in SQ.

I'd remove the Roon server from your audio area and use the balanced power for your audio area... my 2p I've also put my equipment on ball bearing / cup based vibration isolators so 😝

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m just playing 3-8GB files and want them to start as soon as I press play. Faster speed = good :~)

Yes yes and the mainstream application for 100Gbe is NVMEoF. 25Gbe on an SFP28 module is easy. 100Gbe uses Quad SFP28 (QSFP28).

I'm (obviously) not at all opposed to speed and wanting my multi-gig photos/videos to open/edit faster was a motivation, but I don't want folks to think that upgrading will improve SQ ... there really is a limit to how many femtoseconds ... or god forbid attoseconds ... that one can hear :sarcasm:😏

My current setup

Mellanox ConnectX-5 on my office workstation because it has enough power to supply my QSFP28 100GBASE-LR4 modules.

Mellanox ConnectX-4 on my server (which is right next to the switch and is connected via QSFP28 fiber cable.

Mellanox ConnectX-4 on NAS

1 minute ago, jabbr said:

My current setup

Mellanox ConnectX-5 on my office workstation because it has enough power to supply my QSFP28 100GBASE-LR4 modules.

Mellanox ConnectX-4 on my server (which is right next to the switch and is connected via QSFP28 fiber cable.

Mellanox ConnectX-4 on NAS

Which NAS do you use? Your own build?

53 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I'd remove the Roon server from your audio area and use the balanced power for your audio area... my 2p I've also put my equipment on ball bearing / cup based vibration isolators so 😝

It is upstream of my audio chain. I understood what you are saying and appreciate your help and great information, thanks again. Ball bearing isolation is really good.

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

So let it be said, so shall it be done.  😉

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Me too!

I mentioned previously I am using Mikrotik CRS 305 (10GBe) as my router and it is easily better than the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP (1GBe) it replaced.  But ... when I installed a EtherRegen as FMC instead of a generic FMC immediately upstream of the CRS 305 that provided a further improvement.  So, it suggests perhaps even the CRS's 10GBe low jitter does not create immunity to upstream changes.

I am also curious if a low jitter NIC can be so beneficial that the performance of the server (in terms of noise etc) is not relevant.

My setup in simple terms is ...

Broadband service > EtherRegen > fibre > CRS 305 > Server (Antipodes) > WAP > Devialet

Maybe there should be a new thread about the benefits of 5Gbe, 10GBe, 100GBe and how best to gain the most benefits from these.

8 hours ago, juniorbudel said:

I still haven't made an AB, today I have a Wireworld Chroma 7 between the server and the router.  I will do this test.  

The problem is that all the other network cables on the dirty side are common, they will certainly narrow the differences, if any.

How about compare UTP cables with STP cables.

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

ouch.

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 2.25.19 PM.png

Woah!! Honestly I find the Mellanox prices vastly better. I think at that price its really worth it to get say a Dell workstation to fool around with. Notice the number of PCIe lanes and you need a motherboard with one for the GPU and another for the NIC. 

You can do an ebay search for ConnectX-4 100Gbe (or ConnectX-5) and look for refurb if you don't want used. Unless you have a specific application, I've used ebay to fool around with lots of stuff and have had great results. For example, I paid roughly 1/20th the retail for my Mellanox SN2700 switch

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, jabbr said:

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs504_4xq_in

Anyone who wants to move to 100Gbe ethernet, this switch is very cost effective and fairly easy to set up. Its a bot finicky with AIO fiber cables (but I didn't spend a great deal of time trying to get working). My 100Bgase-LR4 QSFP28 (single mode) work great, also x4 SFP28 breakout cables.

I was looking at this really hard last night!