IGNORED

How Many DACs Have You Owned? Your Journey

Been in Audiophile mode since 1991. The journey started out when I got my first real job when I ran to the stereo store to buy my "Made in USA" Adcom GFA-535 amp and using a Carver Z-Band coupler, I pumped up my Harmon Kardon receiver. I have only been in CA since 2012 so as for my DAC's (===> amp):

Bryston DAC board (installed into BP-20 Preamp) ===> Byrston 4B SST2

Chordette QuteHD ===> First Watt J2

Chordette 2Cute ===> Pass XA30.8

Lampizator Amber

Every iteration of sound keeps getting better which just keeps fueling the desire to change equipment.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

I was never a believer in digital audio, I am into analog, vinyl, and tape, I broke down and bought a Schiit Modi with optical output ,down loaded Hdtracks Gaucho an damn !! It sounds so good I cant decide do I upgrade to the Bifrost multi bit or the Gungnir multibit? suggestions please. and yes I have Emotiva gear that can handle the balanced output of the Gungnir

Still on my first DAC, bought my Wadia 12 anywhere between 6 and 12 years ago. Cannot remember when I bought it. Used it with my Marantz CD94mkII ate first. When the Marantz broke down I bought a CEC T51x. Now the Wadia is connected to my Aries LE by AES/ebu.

Now looking for a DAC to replace the Wadia. I think I would prefer a DAC with AES/ebu. I have a sneaky suspicion that the AES/ebu output is better then the USB. Also when I see how many gadgets are needed to get USB sound good I think I'll pass.

[br]

Theta DS Pro Basic - ~1991 - ~2012

Schiit Bifrost - ~2012 - ~June 2013

Semi-Customized DAC - ~June 2013 - present

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

hello doctor can you do something for me ?

madrigal proceed ( first) was a ungly grey box

wadia 25

JADIS JS2dac

EAD Encore

Audio aero prima 2

Lessloss 2004

Altman BYOB

Wavelength audio brick

PASS D1

LA Rosita streamer

Weiss 202

berkeley alpha dac1

Audio note DAc 4 ( kit)

Metrum

Lampizator

Ec design Mosaic Tdac

T+A DSD8 ( actual )

sorry for those i can't remember :)

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

Wadia 861 SE (used as a CD player and DAC)

PS Audio Perfectwave MK I and MK II with Bridge

exaSound e20 MK III with .082 Clock

T+A DAC8 DSD

I don't think I forgot any.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Wadia 850

Playback Designs MPS5

CH Precision C1

Trinity

Pacific Microsonics M2

wow! La créme de la créme ;)

Which one is the resident? Or do you have it all?

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

- Musical Fidelity X24k (total cr*p, like the rest of the MF gear... IMHO)

- Esoteric D70 (my first venture into slaving transport clock to DAC clock via BNC - trounced PLL and large FIFO buffer)

- Pacific Microsonics Model Two + Weiss AFI1 with Paul Hynes PSU ("Ah... so this is what digital is all about")

- Phasure NOS1 ("Interesting...")

- Phasure NOS1 'a' upgrade ("Oh yes...)

- Phasure NOS1a with Intona ("Goldilocks DAC... everything is just right...")

Loads of others bought or borrowed for trying out over the years. None could come anywhere near the PM2 let alone the NOS1a+Intona.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Now looking for a DAC to replace the Wadia. I think I would prefer a DAC with AES/ebu. I have a sneaky suspicion that the AES/ebu output is better then the USB. Also when I see how many gadgets are needed to get USB sound good I think I'll pass.

Consider a Focusrite RedNet D16 ethernet to AES converter via AES to a Schiit Yggy.

Magic....

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

TNTC(too numerous to count). I'm left with the following 3 plugged in and running in my home:

Geek Pulse Infinity Special Education(family friendly system - sounds great with microRendu; the Pulse and microRendu are both powered by an Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply)

Chord DAVE(headphone system with Hifiman HE1000 and an order placed for an aftermarket Double Helix Cable)

Phasure NOS1A(main system with Intona and updated hard drive for XXHE PC)

It's almost embarrassing to own both DAVE and the NOS1a, either of which would easily be many people's idea of an end game DAC. My DAC buying days are over unless I, for some reason in the future, decide to cycle back to multichannel.

DAVE costs more than the other two DACs combined and I bought it with the promise to myself that I would never buy another DAC again. Still, you could buy a dCS or an MSB for far more than what I paid for all 3 of my DACs combined(he said in a weak attempt to rationalizie his purchases).

Reminds me of Adrian Belew's story about seeing Frank Zappa's sizeable guitar collection. When asked how he could afford such a treasure trove of guitars, Frank replied "I don't do coke."

Since 2004, three primary digital players:

Exemplar mod of Denon 2900 (2004-2009)

Ayre QB-9 (2009-13)

Ayre QB-9 DSD (2013-16)

Chord DAVE (2016)

I've also auditioned or played around with a bunch of other dacs in my system, but not owned them.

The DAVE is by far the best dac I have ever heard in my system.

Audio Note DAC 3 Signature (+mods)

TwinDAC+ (with its successor, the CrazyT really being the first Async USB on earth - I never owned that though)

Phasure NOS1, NOS1-USB, NOS1a, NOS1a+B'ASS.

(Buffalo I just for fun)

(Pacifics Microsonics Model 2 for recording)

(Mytek Stereo 192 DSD - never unpacked)

Somehow this list feels too short but I really don't even recall a dedicated CD Player prior to the Audio Note (I had a TEAC P1 transport in front of it). I did have a few DAT recorders though (Stax, Tascam, Sony) but I think they were all used in combination with the Audio Note. And 400+ DAT tapes still wait to get ripped (if something is still on them ;)).

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)