IGNORED

How Many DACs Have You Owned? Your Journey

1. Adcom GDA-700 HDCD DAC

I used it until 2000 when I sold it as SACD sounded better to me than HDCD and I believed at the time that SACD would completely replace CD. I was wrong that never happened.

2. Teac UD-501 DAC

The UD-501 plays 2.8MHz & 5.6MHz DSD and up to 32bit 384kHz PCM. I use the USB input for DSD and PCM computer music files, Optical Input 1 for the internet, Optical Input 2 for my HDTV. The two coaxial inputs are currently unused.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

I am a bit shocked at how many DACs people own in a short period of time. When I buy a piece of audio equipment I expect it to last for at least 5 years or longer. I'm in this hobby for 20 years or so and I have had only 3 different amplifiers (Proton, Rotel and now Symphonic Line).

I agree, I am hoping my Teac UD-501 DAC lasts until I die. I generally try to keep components until they are too expensive to fix or they die. I had to go to my receipts book to find out how old some of my stuff is. My oldest is my Infinity Kappa 7 speakers which are 24 years old, I had to put new surrounds on the woofers a couple of years ago though.

With universal disc players I hope for 10 or more years, but am not too upset if they last only 5 years. About the same for computers. But for preamps, amps, speakers, cables and DACs I expect them to last 25 to 50 years.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Oh my god I must look like a complete Neanderthal, I still have my first and only DAC, from Exposure, bought in 2012, only upgraded with a Belcanto mlink USB-SPDIF after 6 months.

For the moment I feel absolutely no need replacing that thing. Occasionally I'd like native DSD, but I feel that the DAC market is still way to much in flux to commit to something new right now. I'd rather spend more money on my next (and hopefully final) set of speakers.

Oh my god I must look like a complete Neanderthal, I still have my first and only DAC, from Exposure, bought in 2012, only upgraded with a Belcanto mlink USB-SPDIF after 6 months.

Or a genius :)

For the moment I feel absolutely no need replacing that thing. Occasionally I'd like native DSD, but I feel that the DAC market is still way to much in flux to commit to something new right now. I'd rather spend more money on my next (and hopefully final) set of speakers.

This brings to mind our old friend Richard who asked (or stated) many times over the years: when is "good", "good enough"? Insightful, no?

Entech 203.2

April Music Stello DA100

CEntrance DACmini CX

Meier Audio StageDAC

Rega DAC

T+A DAC 8

PS Audio Perfectwave DAC MK II

Meitner MA-1 DAC

Bel Canto e.One DAC 2.5

Benchmark DAC2 D

MOON Neo 230HAD (currently using this on my desktop computer and headphones)

Bryston BDA-2 (currently using this in my living room system)

A fairly short list for me over the last 25 years or so...

Meridian 203

Pink Triangle DaCapo

Theta Gen Va

Mytek DAC 192

Stereo Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Surround Source: Windows PC

Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s, Anthem D2v

Speakers: ATC SCM50A (L/R/C), C4 (Sub), SCM20-2A (LR,RR)

Benchmark DAC1

WyredForSound DAC2

Wavelength Brick (still have)

Wavelength Crimson (still have, but broken)

Schiit Yggy (current go-to)

Also for headphones/movies/games/laptop stuff:

Audioquest Dragonfly

Meridien Explorer2

The Yggy is the best of the bunch, while the Brick was the most fun.

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

I have owned quite a few. Some of my favourites:

- Counterpoint DA-10. Was going to get it upgraded by Michael Elliott, but he "retired" and I decided to sell it

- A number of old Wadia DACs, amongst which the Wadia 25, and the Wadia X32 (with some upgrades), which I still own

- Ayre QB-9

- Dangerous Music Source

I now use "Full digital" amplifiers, so don't use seperate DACs any longer.