IGNORED

Worst grammies ever

Watched the Grammies last night. I was not impressed.

Here are my awards:

Worst Performance: Madonna.

Worst Tom Petty Song. Smith

Worst Person in the World: Kanye West

Feel free to add

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Might have been the worst Grammy's to watch, but finally someone who plays his/her own instruments, writes his/her own stuff is rewarded with an Album Of The Year. Congrats Beck!! Engineered album win too.

Watched the Grammies last night. I was not impressed.

Here are my awards:

Worst Performance: Madonna.

Worst Tom Petty Song. Smith

Worst Person in the World: Kanye West

Feel free to add

I'm surprised that anybody over 20 would even bother to watch 'em! Shows how much I know.

George

Did not watch. Haven't watched one since I was a teenager. Did hear that Beck won an award. The hirez version of his Grammy award winning album had some tracks that might be from MP3 sources. Wonder if his award winning CD version of it did also?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Annie Lennox showed them all how it's supposed to done.

She gave a performance that was stellar, imho.

The young English guy, Ed Sheeran, that sounded like Van Morrison was good, he had a talented band with him, too, imho.

The rest was mostly crap, but it is the one time a year I pay attention to mainstream music, if only to asses its morbid condition & be able grasp just a little of younger generations are listening to.

Annie made all worth it, for me.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

I did not watch, but I am very glad that Jason Vieaux, a classical guitarist beat out the likes of Lang Lang for best solo instrumental (classical music genre).

Vieaux is an American, started The Curtis Institute of Music Guitar Program. I spent the better part of this afternoon listening to his music on Tidal. Outstanding.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Did not watch. Haven't watched one since I was a teenager. Did hear that Beck won an award. The hirez version of his Grammy award winning album had some tracks that might be from MP3 sources. Wonder if his award winning CD version of it did also?

Yes, the CD has the same sound as the hi-rez version, more or less (it is actually a little more clear-sounding, but not much). I think you might have been trolled a bit by Beck and his sound engineers (who BTW took home the Grammy for Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical). The sound of Morning Phase is highly artificial and compressed. This was an intentional choice by the artist. It imparts a dreamy feeling on the listener that is analogous to a good couple or three healthy bong hits. YMMV as to whether you appreciate that, but from my perspective, it is quite an achievement. Also, the songs themselves and Beck's performances are quite memorable and wonderful to my taste.

Yes, the CD has the same sound as the hi-rez version, more or less (it is actually a little more clear-sounding, but not much). I think you might have been trolled a bit by Beck and his sound engineers (who BTW took home the Grammy for Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical). The sound of Morning Phase is highly - and intentionally - artificial and compressed. This was an intentional choice by the artist. It imparts a dreamy feeling on the listener that is analogous to a good couple or three healthy bong hits. YMMV as to whether you appreciate that, but from my perspective, it is quite an achievement. Also, the songs themselves and Beck's performances are quite memorable and wonderful to my taste.

Hmm... The sound of post-bong hit while being sober versus crystal clear sound post bong-hit. That's a tough decision :)

I joke though, I can't partake even if I lived in CO. I just finished listening to the 24:96 version upsampled to DSD128. The album sounded better than I had originally remembered, but then maybe I had lowered my expectations since that album got a lot of negative comments.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

That is really unfair to his so-called wife.

Not THAT unfair...

Kanye West has explained his decision to disrupt Beck’s acceptance speech after the American indie singer took home the Grammy for Album of the Year.

“Beck needs to respect artistry and he should have given his award to Beyoncé,” West said in an interview with E! after the ceremony. “At this point we tired of it because what happens is when you keep on diminishing art and not respecting the craft and smacking people in the face after they deliver monumental feats in music, you’re disrespectful to inspiration.

“We aren’t playing with them anymore. And by the way, I got my wife, my daughter, and I got my clothing line, so I’m not going to do nothing that would put my daughter at risk, but I am here to fight for creativity. That’s the reason why I didn’t say anything tonight, but you all knew what it meant when ’Ye stepped on that stage.”

His brief stage invasion at Sunday night’s Grammy awards at first seemed like a nod to his famous interruption of Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech at the 2009 MTV VMAs. However, it was one again a defence of Beyoncé.

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Not THAT unfair...

No, I am pretty sure it is very unfair to 'Ye's wife. She is definitely a more worthless waste of life than Kanye is.

I heard about Kanye's interruption on behalf of Beyonce on the radio earlier this evening. Makes me wish they would give it one year to some old school metal band or some rowdy punk rockers. Someone who would make Kanye wish he never had interrupted should he do so again. That I would watch the Grammy's for.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Worst Grammies Ever?

Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile.

John Luther Adams.

Just sayin.'

Really looking forward to seeing Kanye make an ever bigger fool of himself next year when Rhiannon Giddens, walks away with everything.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Worst Grammies Ever?

Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile.

John Luther Adams.

Just sayin.'

Really looking forward to seeing Kanye make an ever bigger fool of himself next year when Rhiannon Giddens, walks away with everything.

Burnspbesq, I am embarrassed to say I didn't know a lot about Rhiannon Giddens until I saw her on the Basement Tapes. Holy cow but that woman sing! Have started buying her great stuff.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

Burnspbesq, I am embarrassed to say I didn't know a lot about Rhiannon Giddens until I saw her on the Basement Tapes. Holy cow but that women sing! Have started buying her great stuff.

+1

I'm listening to her new album as I write this.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Annie Lennox showed them all how it's supposed to done.

She gave a performance that was stellar, imho.

The young English guy, Ed Sheeran, that sounded like Van Morrison was good, he had a talented band with him, too, imho.

The rest was mostly crap, but it is the one time a year I pay attention to mainstream music, if only to asses its morbid condition & be able grasp just a little of younger generations are listening to.

Annie made all worth it, for me.

+ 1 Annie Lennox was the best!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Hard to say anything good about Mr. West. He seems to have no control over his impulses.

I don't know about control, but his impulses keep him in the public eye.

Would anyone here be discussing Mr. West if he wasn't being rude at the Grammy's? I'm a classical music person. I know only a handful of popular music "stars". Mr. West is one of them. Why? Because of the Taylor Swift Grammy. Even my 89 year old mom knows Mr. West.

I just think its all orchestrated pop music "events".

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I don't know about control, but his impulses keep him in the public eye.

Would anyone here be discussing Mr. West if he wasn't being rude at the Grammy's? I'm a classical music person. I know only a handful of popular music "stars". Mr. West is one of them. Why? Because of the Taylor Swift Grammy. Even my 89 year old mom knows Mr. West.

I just think its all orchestrated pop music "events".

Quite true, but how much money has moved from your wallet to his? I'm guessing none.

It is a bit sad that he has to do this to stay in the public eye.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull