IGNORED

New streamers from Aurender!

Hyperion

Cons:

- not open to standards and other controllers.

Eric Shim of Aurender forked mpd-upnp, and when we asked for any GPL source code used in Aurender products, he took down this fork of mpd-upnp on github and did not even answer our mail. So even though open source means: customers can request access to the GPLv2/GPLv3 source code used and/or modified by Aurender, they will probably deny our request and remain in violation with the GPL.

So their platform has been designed with open source products (=benefit from the works of others, like the Linux kernel, the GNU system, the MPD music server) and closed down for users not to find out what's inside the product, which is against the whole idea of FOSS ....

So my point: we can use the GPL to open the Aurender platform so it becomes compatible with more than one APP, they will not like it, but to comply with the GPL, they have to ....

Otherwise they are in clear violation, as they already are: their product is also based on the linux kernel, which is GPLv2, meaning they have to include a written offer for users to get the code (and it's not restricted to Aurender customers, GPLv2 states any third party can request the code). I have not found any mentioning of the GPL license and/or written offer in their manual/website/brochures.

Competitors like SOtM use the vortexbox Linux platform and when asking the vortexbox team for the source code (like their MPD for vb 2.3), they just email back the source RPM, which contains the source coce + build script. That's how open source is supposed to work.

Aurender is a massive overpriced GPL violation

Eric Shim of Aurender forked mpd-upnp, and when we asked for any GPL source code used in Aurender products, he took down this fork of mpd-upnp on github and did not even answer our mail. So even though open source means: customers can request access to the GPLv2/GPLv3 source code used and/or modified by Aurender, they will probably deny our request and remain in violation with the GPL.

So their platform has been designed with open source products (=benefit from the works of others, like the Linux kernel, the GNU system, the MPD music server) and closed down for users not to find out what's inside the product, which is against the whole idea of FOSS ....

So my point: we can use the GPL to open the Aurender platform so it becomes compatible with more than one APP, they will not like it, but to comply with the GPL, they have to ....

Otherwise they are in clear violation, as they already are: their product is also based on the linux kernel, which is GPLv2, meaning they have to include a written offer for users to get the code (and it's not restricted to Aurender customers, GPLv2 states any third party can request the code). I have not found any mentioning of the GPL license and/or written offer in their manual/website/brochures.

Competitors like SOtM use the vortexbox Linux platform and when asking the vortexbox team for the source code (like their MPD for vb 2.3), they just email back the source RPM, which contains the source coce + build script. That's how open source is supposed to work.

Robert - Please include your industry affiliation in your signature.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Sparky,

It's not code, It's hardware....Aurender has assembled a great set of parts that now define how a music server should be built....whatever your hysteria is ringing on about, it seems you don't understand that this is a high end audio music server.

Maybe you just want a hackable machine you can build at the local geek house but many of us want a very discreet (note: mechanically/electrically discreet) server. Purpose built, well built....

What is the issue?

Please no more trolling this thread. Competitors or Aurender wannabees please don't spoil this thread. If you want buy Aurender and do what you want to do with it.

I like my X100L and need to talk here with other users in order to get the most of it. I don't care how it's built but how I can make it sound even better. And certainly don't care to follow posts of Aurender competitors or haters.

I am in computer audio hobby for many years, had fully optimized MacBooks, minis and Auralic Aries, nothing satisfied me as much as Aurender X100L.

Best sound quality so far, no glitches, works perfect and gets better and better.

Now I listen Tidal through Aurender platform and it's fabulous.

Really hope Aurender gots other surprises for us users in the future.

Some of my best spend money in this hobby.

Please no more trolling this thread. Competitors or Aurender wannabees please don't spoil this thread. If you want buy Aurender and do what you want to do with it.

I like my X100L and need to talk here with other users in order to get the most of it. I don't care how it's built but how I can make it sound even better. And certainly don't care to follow posts of Aurender competitors or haters.

Some of my best spend money in this hobby.

HDgeorge,

...well said.... with my full support!

mabe

I am in computer audio hobby for many years, had fully optimized MacBooks, minis and Auralic Aries, nothing satisfied me as much as Aurender X100L.

Best sound quality so far, no glitches, works perfect and gets better and better.

I'm seriously considering the Aurender N100 or X100L, and also the Auralic Aries. I see that the Aurender models I can afford only offer USB output. That concerns me. My Bryston BDA-2 DAC has what is supposed to be an excellent USB input, but so far I have preferred music via S/PDIF or AES/EBU, which is why Aries interests me, because it has AES/EBU output. But maybe I've never fed the Bryston's USB input with a first-class source.

So, if I may ask you, HDgeorge, what DAC are you using, and did you ever compare the AES/EBU output of the Aries to the USB output of the Aurender? You seem very happy with the Aurender, so I assume you're satisfied with its USB-only output. Thank you for any insights you can offer.

Guildenstern

I'm seriously considering the Aurender N100 or X100L, and also the Auralic Aries. I see that the Aurender models I can afford only offer USB output. That concerns me. My Bryston BDA-2 DAC has what is supposed to be an excellent USB input, but so far I have preferred music via S/PDIF or AES/EBU, which is why Aries interests me, because it has AES/EBU output. But maybe I've never fed the Bryston's USB input with a first-class source.

So, if I may ask you, HDgeorge, what DAC are you using, and did you ever compare the AES/EBU output of the Aries to the USB output of the Aurender? You seem very happy with the Aurender, so I assume you're satisfied with its USB-only output. Thank you for any insights you can offer.

Not HDGeorge but can attest to using an Aries with AES out to my Berkeley DAC....the guys at Berkeley are biased to AES digital and I prefer the connection (sold my Alpha USB when I got the Aries)..the Aries is amazing and easily bested my Mac Mini with all the goodies. The software is a joy to use and the level of resolution, bass extension and detail is quite thrilling. The customer service is exceptional, as well.

Highly recommended.

WDW

Not HDGeorge but can attest to using an Aries with AES out to my Berkeley DAC....the guys at Berkeley are biased to AES digital and I prefer the connection (sold my Alpha USB when I got the Aries)..the Aries is amazing and easily bested my Mac Mini with all the goodies. The software is a joy to use and the level of resolution, bass extension and detail is quite thrilling. The customer service is exceptional, as well.

Highly recommended.

WDW

That's a helpful testimonial. Thanks very much, wdw!

Guildenstern

Aurender has now a new firmware version that supports NAS cover art and stuff. NO need of AMM.

-tidal support

- NAS support

- USB hdd support

- high resolution albun art support

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

I opened today my Aurender N100 and saw two things that I would like to comment.

i saw a place to install a ssd hd. The attached video shows how to do it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_qU7QMuw4MY

and I saw the 120 GB ssd hd inside the N100.

I would like to ask if someone knows if the sansumg 120 GB can be replaced by this 1TB ssd hd:

SSD 840 EVO 2.75mm mSATA 1TB

the 120 GB appears in the video attached.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

I was also deciding between the above but decided to get the Sonore Signature Rendu.

I have not yet received the SSR so cannot comment on the sound. I believe, based on the reviews here, that it has the best implementation of SPDIF among the renderers.

I was also deciding between the above but decided to get the Sonore Signature Rendu.

I have not yet received the SSR so cannot comment on the sound. I believe, based on the reviews here, that it has the best implementation of SPDIF among the renderers.

but isn't the user interface awkward at least implied by the reviews) ?...all of these appliances live or die by the ease of use offered by the remote interface. I have only heard extremely positive reviews of the Aurender IOS app. Same is true for the Lightning DS of the Aries.

but isn't the user interface awkward at least implied by the reviews) ?...all of these appliances live or die by the ease of use offered by the remote interface. I have only heard extremely positive reviews of the Aurender IOS app. Same is true for the Lightning DS of the Aries.

SSR does not have a User interface or control point of their own. You use it with apps like the BubbleUPNP and if you get the Bubble server app on your NAS, you can use almost any control app that you like including the Linn apps like Kazoo and Kinsky, Lumin app etc to control the unit.

Advantage of this way of doing things is that you are not tied down to one app to control the SSR. You just just choose the app that suits you the best. Simple.

On a side note I have read about a fair number of issues with the Lighting DS app.

Based on everything I've read, and comments from people here that I trust, I strongly suspect you will love your SSR's sound quality. I may very well be joining you as an owner soon, too.

JC

Based on everything I've read, and comments from people here that I trust, I strongly suspect you will love your SSR's sound quality. I may very well be joining you as an owner soon, too.

JC

Thanks Mate....

I cannot wait.

So far I have ordered and am waiting for the following:

- SSR

-Fanless NAS from Synology

-Fiber media converter - Ethernet over Fiber

- WD red drives

You can imagine the anticipation. All should be here by Easter.

Aurender has now a new firmware version that supports NAS cover art and stuff. NO need of AMM.

-tidal support

- NAS support

- USB hdd support

- high resolution albun art support

Hi,

I would appreciated it if you could point me to where I could download this. I don't see it on their site and conversely I saw this most recent news item:

However, if you already have your music library stored on a NAS drive, Aurender Conductor can now access your NAS drive content with full support of metadata and album art. Download AMM (Aurender Music Management) to your computer from the Aurender website for the scanning of meta-tags of files located on the NAS. AMM is now available for Mac and a Windows version is scheduled to launch around April 15, 2015. Please refer to the AMM manual on the Aurender website for additional information.

I interpret that as AMM still being needed if you want something better than folder browsing. Moreover, it appears it will be now released about a month later than promised for PC (i.e. it was previously promoted as being available a month after early Feb on some releases), despite being given the distinct impression that it is currently available (i.e. from the description of their products). So those of us who are are early adopters of the N100 thinking they bought a complete, robust system are left where?.. needing to browse folders on our servers to play music.

Cheers.

When you go to Aurender.com, just down the gold W20 picture there is a new about it. if you click it leads you to this link: AURENDER - Reference Music System

it seems you have only to upgrade the Aurender App.

I ordered a ssd 1tb hd to install in my N100. So NAS will work more like a backup, an I can copy the most listened songs from my library to this internal ssd.

I opened today my Aurender N100 and saw two things that I would like to comment.

i saw a place to install a ssd hd. The attached video shows how to do it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_qU7QMuw4MY

and I saw the 120 GB ssd hd inside the N100.

I would like to ask if someone knows if the sansumg 120 GB can be replaced by this 1TB ssd hd:

SSD 840 EVO 2.75mm mSATA 1TB

the 120 GB appears in the video attached.

That's very interesting. Great to see a video confirming you can do this. It makes sense because the optional 1TB SSD has been described as a dealer-installed feature.

Replacing the primary 120GB SSD is another matter. The question is whether the 120GB SSD comes with any Aurender-supplied content that you can just download yourself onto a 1TB replacement. When I asked [email protected] whether this was possible, the response was no. Remember also that the primary SSD is used to cache recently played material. I'm not sure Aurender supports using an SSD bigger than 120GB as the playback cache on the model N100. It sounds like an artificial limitation because different models have different size playback cache.

Looks like the N10 has slipped to June according to the Aurender site. It would be nice to at least get a price.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

That's very interesting. Great to see a video confirming you can do this. It makes sense because the optional 1TB SSD has been described as a dealer-installed feature.

Replacing the primary 120GB SSD is another matter. The question is whether the 120GB SSD comes with any Aurender-supplied content that you can just download yourself onto a 1TB replacement. When I asked [email protected] whether this was possible, the response was no. Remember also that the primary SSD is used to cache recently played material. I'm not sure Aurender supports using an SSD bigger than 120GB as the playback cache on the model N100. It sounds like an artificial limitation because different models have different size playback cache.

Looks like the N10 has slipped to June according to the Aurender site. It would be nice to at least get a price.

Thank you rickca for you answer. I will install the second 1 Tb ssd hd myself. Aurender will support me on this, as I got an email from them today saying that. Not usual, they prefer to do it through the Dealer. But I am in Brazil and my dealer in another country.

When you go to Aurender.com, just down the gold W20 picture there is a new about it. if you click it leads you to this link: AURENDER - Reference Music System

it seems you have only to upgrade the Aurender App.

Thankyou Joaovierira for making my point for me.

The information you mention regarding the new software is incomplete and misleading. Click the link then read further and you will see the information about needing AMM that I posted previously. AMM is still needed to be able to use the full functionality of the Conductor app for those of maintaining our music on a NAS... and that AMM is currently unavailable for PC, despite giving the impression it is available in other places on their site, for example the N100 product page:

The Aurender Music Server/Player series could play contents on the NAS by file/folder browsing.
With the help of AMM for PC/Mac, N100 and all other existing Aurender Music server series can display and use meta-tag information of the contents on the NAS the same as the content in the Aurender's internal Storage

My point is this: the Aurender (N100) is promoted as being a convenient, robust, easy-to-use, fine-sounding server solution. In my experience it is not, yet.

Cheers.

I should clarify:

I am suggesting only that the statements I have previously referred to are misleading. I am not suggesting that Aurender intended to be misleading. There can be any number of reasons for the misleading statements and I speculate it could be something to do with ease of site maintenance.

Also, apologies to Joaovieira for spelling his name incorrectly!

Have a nice weekend all.

Cheers.

Aurender launched N100 with the AMM feature at the beginning and it was clear from the begining.

They only had a delay for PC AMM support.

N100 is a new product and I think it will be a great success for Aurender, but I love my X100.

In general Aurenders support is great so far and they also deliver features and upgrades more than expected or promised.

I remember a friend of mine who bought S10 a couple of years ago, looking back his unit had no DSD, no 384 /352 pcm, no Tidal, no external USB playback no hd cover art, no AMM.

Today he''s got all of these and for FREE. For me this is the real value of a supporting company.

I had a small odyssey ( with Mac/Amarra & other competitor server) before end up with x100 but now I'm fully satisfied.

Now I only wish for a high res streaming company with Aurender integration...I guess it will eventually comes in a couple of years or maybe Tidal will upgrade to HIgh Res.

I should clarify:

I am suggesting only that the statements I have previously referred to are misleading. I am not suggesting that Aurender intended to be misleading. There can be any number of reasons for the misleading statements and I speculate it could be something to do with ease of site maintenance.

Also, apologies to Joaovieira for spelling his name incorrectly!

Have a nice weekend all.

Cheers.

They only had a delay for PC AMM support.

"They only h-a-v-e." AMM for PC is coming.

Top of my wish list: file player with app as nice as Lumin's, SQ as nice as Melco N1Z and much larger SSD/flash storage. We're early days with server/streamers. If I live long enough would enjoy Stereophile look back at these early file players, much as I've enjoyed Stereophiles look back at audio gear I owned as a young man (v:

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

I plan to replace my aging Mini with a X100L. I have a Synology NAS for wifi backup of 7 computers in the house including the music mini. Will the NAS automatically (or otherwise) backup the X100L once it is connected to the network (through a bridge)?