IGNORED

New streamers from Aurender!

Hyperion

I plan to replace my aging Mini with a X100L. I have a Synology NAS for wifi backup of 7 computers in the house including the music mini. Will the NAS automatically (or otherwise) backup the X100L once it is connected to the network (through a bridge)?

Not automatically but with Dynology you can setup the NAS to back up the Aurender.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Great. I believe you will find that both the sound quality and handling will improve. Let us know how it all plays out for you.

I will stay put until the N10 hits the market as I "need" to run the signal over spdif or AES/EBU. I am not to keen buying a USB/Spdif converter as they are 1000-2000 USD. I'd rather add that amount to a new N10. Or an Aria from Digibit.

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

Great. I believe you will find that both the sound quality and handling will improve. Let us know how it all plays out for you.

I will stay put until the N10 hits the market as I "need" to run the signal over spdif or AES/EBU. I am not to keen buying a USB/Spdif converter as they are 1000-2000 USD. I'd rather add that amount to a new N10. Or an Aria from Digibit.

Bigblue I tried Aria Digibit before Aries and Aurender, there is no comparison in performance, even Aries has better SQ from Aria.

My X100L smoked Aria big time.

Not to mention serious glitches and Hd noise from Aria. The best part from Aria was the application when worked.

But Aurender is in another major league.

HDGeorge, thank you for sharing your experience. Very interesting to hear as you have had them all in your set up. I have heard that the Aries is good but maybe not the ultimate solution with regards to SQ. Aria is a white spot on my hifi map. But I am looking forward comparing it to the N10 this summer. One feature I like with Aria is the automatic ripping. No need to hook up a computer. Maybe Aurender made a last minute decision to include a CD slot in the new N10? And thats the reason for the delay from March to June :). Well, I am sure it will be on display at the High End Show in May.

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

Could someone explain why Aurender focus so hard on the USB output.

The reason for asking is that USB per se does not seem to be the perfect protocol for transferring music. In Audio Streams review of the X100L they write:

Although simple in practice, the USB interface audibly degrades the signal passing through it, even in the better implementations. As noted, USB was never designed for audio; it is a “packetized data” format in which data are split up into discrete chunks, wrapped up with information about those chunks, transmitted, and then put back together at the receiving end. This is in sharp contrast with the continuous bitstream of digital audio formats such as S/PDIF.

So why USB? Is it easier/cheaper to produce a decent sounding output via USB? Or is it just a left over from the "computer" days to make the NAS compatible with a desktop or laptop machine?

Could someone explain why Aurender focus so hard on the USB output.

The reason for asking is that USB per se does not seem to be the perfect protocol for transferring music. In Audio Streams review of the X100L they write:

Although simple in practice, the USB interface audibly degrades the signal passing through it, even in the better implementations. As noted, USB was never designed for audio; it is a “packetized data” format in which data are split up into discrete chunks, wrapped up with information about those chunks, transmitted, and then put back together at the receiving end. This is in sharp contrast with the continuous bitstream of digital audio formats such as S/PDIF.

So why USB? Is it easier/cheaper to produce a decent sounding output via USB? Or is it just a left over from the "computer" days to make the NAS compatible with a desktop or laptop machine?

I am not sure exactly what article you are reading, but the author is perhaps a little misinformed.

The USB standard includes specific modes for audio, as well as for video and other protocols. These were not "second thoughts" - they were built in right from the beginning.

Secondly, almost all useful DACS have "async" USB protocol software built into them. This was first written and used by Gordon Rankin in the marvelous Wavelength DACS, but was soon available from several other groups as well, including the dCS group. Gordon's software is licensed in may DACS these days.

What that software does is remove the timing control from the computer, and puts the DAC in charge. This has the benefit of dramatically reducing jitter, making USB interfaces some of the most jitter free interfaces available today.

Lastly, besides sounding very good indeed, USB opens up the possibility of really high speed transfers, such as DSD256 and above. That's a lot of data to push down a pipe, and it takes a fairly "large" pipe to accommodate it. Modern USB can handle data streams of 4 Gigabits per second. (grin) Nothing like that currently exists for S/PDIF or TosLink streams.

In short, USB is currently "the way" to go. IMNSHO. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Lastly, besides sounding very good indeed, USB opens up the possibility of really high speed transfers, such as DSD256 and above. That's a lot of data to push down a pipe, and it takes a fairly "large" pipe to accommodate it. Modern USB can handle data streams of 4 Gigabits per second. (grin) Nothing like that currently exists for S/PDIF or TosLink streams.

-Paul

What about ethernet as an option instead of USB?

Presuming of course that a device can accommodate ethernet.

( just to be clear - this is not intended to be argumentative - it's to understand technically)

-Paul

I would add "the way" to go for now. The Uptone Regen may change things for the better (let's see, it's close now), but whatever I try, USB doesn't do it for me.

Can swap to two DACs, one around $6500, the other $2200, add or subtract iFiUSB/Purifier, can try Jriver, HQ Player or A+ on different OSs, different computers, play direct from HDD or over the network, none of which, in any combination reduces that raspy coarseness of sound, even with DSD64/128 native titles. The AC power source is the same balanced 120V-0-120V system in all cases.

I used to like digital, but in the last 6 months there's a decline in what I hear, and don't enjoy anymore. Au contraire, CD/SACD is consistently excellent, a direct A-B of the same music (redbook or DSD64) at the same time shows the simple system of the optical disc working for me. Why? (shrug). The signal chain is far shorter with optical, maybe the DAC's better, I can feed the CD player with USB and it sounds like shite (still).

Or perhaps Computer Audio has the signal chain so far apart, with boxes, wires and PSUs in the way, it could never get close to short distance optical transmissions?

If I play a CD and use the coax out feed this into a DAC and compare the CD player analog out and the DAC output, the sound is indistinguishable. So on coax, the transmission is fine, far better than USB.

Ravenna on paper just sounds awesome in comparison, real time, routable and wire direct form network to the DAC.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Thanks everyone for the input on USB.

Paul R, here is the article I was referring to: Aurender X100L | AudioStream

I have the MSB Analog DAC and they are about to release an Ethernet port called Network Renderer. This will be an interesting addition as you now can hook up the DAC and play via RJ45. This is how they explain the upside of the ethernet port: "...the best sounds comes from the fact that it’s harder to get the settings wrong as the renderer is the device decoding the audio files, and not the computer."

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just upgraded to a N100 w/ 1 tb SSD from an Aries. I have all my music on external HD and no NAS. Looks like I cannot transfer the files from the external USB to the SSD? Am I missing something or is this waiting for an upgrade. If it is does anybody knows when it may be.

Sounds pretty good playing from the external but certainly not why I bought it. Any help will be appreciated.

Also Tidal says I am logged in but I do not see anyway of accessing it

Thanks,

Russ

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

Sorry just saw the upgrade. Downloading fine off the attached usb hdd

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

Sorry just saw the upgrade. Downloading fine off the attached usb hdd

Share you listening impressions from internal SSD after you copy your external hdd and comparison with Aries.

Let's see if we agree that sq is way better than Auralic Aries.

Still looking for the Tidal Icon or anything on the App. Anybody help out?

Still looking for the Tidal Icon or anything on the App. Anybody help out?

on the ipad, the aurender conductor app, main library where it say Aurender, xxx Albums (sort by artist). Touch the Aurender, it will then say Go to Tidal, once you are in Tidal, do the similar action to return to your Aurender library - user interface is a bit cryptic. I am still figuring out things on the Conductor app. Hope it helps :)

on the ipad, the aurender conductor app, main library where it say Aurender, xxx Albums (sort by artist). Touch the Aurender, it will then say Go to Tidal, once you are in Tidal, do the similar action to return to your Aurender library - user interface is a bit cryptic. I am still figuring out things on the Conductor app. Hope it helps :)

Thanks so much.. Talk about hidden. Never would have figured it out and no documentation out there.

I came from the Aries with great support. I can see the customer service from Aurender will not come close to the Aries in that regard.

Thanks so much.. Talk about hidden. Never would have figured it out and no documentation out there.

I came from the Aries with great support. I can see the customer service from Aurender will not come close to the Aries in that regard.

New update AURENDER - Reference Music System

Tidal sounds pretty darn good

Share you listening impressions from internal SSD after you copy your external hdd and comparison with Aries.

Let's see if we agree that sq is way better than Auralic Aries.

All systems are different so I can only comment on my systemwhich goes like this.

Aurender>YSF split USB>Modwright tube Oppo 105d with full blown mods> Macormack analog preamp> Odyssey Kismet Mono amps> Merlin VSM MXR speakers w/ Black magic master bam. All cabling is Audience Au 24 se. Triode wire labs powerchords. Various tweaks and isolation.

I listen mostly to Hi-rez music.But redbook done right is darn close. Musical tastes are from old school jazz to rock. Not too much classical . Listening to Jose James new album on Tidal as I write this.

I owned the Aries since October after a try with the Mac Mini route and a Bryston BDP-1player.

The Aries was definetly an upgrade for me over the previous players and sounded very good. The 4 firmware changes since then changed the sound each time. I liked the previous firmware the best.. had nice depth andwhile not perfect it was listenable. But after awhile the mids and highs were just not right. For my tastes a little cold and lifeless. I also wanted a player with internal storage as I do not have a NAS. The Aurender model I have has 1 tb of SSD storage.

With no disrespect to Aries owners as it performed perfect forthe most part the Aurender is another league. Now they both have their plusses and minuses but going just on SQ it is quite a big jump on my system.

The highs and mids on the Aurender are the biggest area of improvement. Deep soundstage. The Aries may have a slight edge on the low bass.The Aries did seem a little more dynamic or it could be its forward presentation.

The Aurender N100 is strictly USB. Luckily the Oppo 105D does a nice job on the USB input.

The Aries has all you typical outputs.

Build quality is not even close. Aurender is built like atruck.

The Aries will stream wirelessly where the Aurender will not. For some for some that may be a deal breaker.

The Aurender will accept internal storage, naturally the Aries will not.

The App for the Aurender is a step above the Lightning app but I would call this a non issue

No remote for the Aurender( Remote for the Aries was only used for on and off)

The front panel display on the Aurender is nice if you want to use it. Large enough to read from 9 ft.

( None on the Aries).

Both support Tidal but again Tidal sounds better on the Aurender. Much more listenable,

List price is 1695 vs 2500 so the Aurender should soundbetter.This is the front of the systemwhere everything starts. So for the 800.00 improvement in a system that may cost $20,000or more we are talking about a 4%increase for a big jump in SQ.

Again just an opinion and we all have one

nicely done russelbobby...

Aurender has remote control functions like the Aries...but through tablet...everything works with the tablet.

Go to settings - Disc information and can turn on and of and restart the unit.

Regarding wireless

I would not like to have an antenna inside my server - polluting it.

Enjoy your new Aurender.

All systems are different so I can only comment on my systemwhich goes like this.

Aurender>YSF split USB>Modwright tube Oppo 105d with full blown mods> Macormack analog preamp> Odyssey Kismet Mono amps> Merlin VSM MXR speakers w/ Black magic master bam. All cabling is Audience Au 24 se. Triode wire labs powerchords. Various tweaks and isolation.

I listen mostly to Hi-rez music.But redbook done right is darn close. Musical tastes are from old school jazz to rock. Not too much classical . Listening to Jose James new album on Tidal as I write this.

I owned the Aries since October after a try with the Mac Mini route and a Bryston BDP-1player.

The Aries was definetly an upgrade for me over the previous players and sounded very good. The 4 firmware changes since then changed the sound each time. I liked the previous firmware the best.. had nice depth andwhile not perfect it was listenable. But after awhile the mids and highs were just not right. For my tastes a little cold and lifeless. I also wanted a player with internal storage as I do not have a NAS. The Aurender model I have has 1 tb of SSD storage.

With no disrespect to Aries owners as it performed perfect forthe most part the Aurender is another league. Now they both have their plusses and minuses but going just on SQ it is quite a big jump on my system.

The highs and mids on the Aurender are the biggest area of improvement. Deep soundstage. The Aries may have a slight edge on the low bass.The Aries did seem a little more dynamic or it could be its forward presentation.

The Aurender N100 is strictly USB. Luckily the Oppo 105D does a nice job on the USB input.

The Aries has all you typical outputs.

Build quality is not even close. Aurender is built like atruck.

The Aries will stream wirelessly where the Aurender will not. For some for some that may be a deal breaker.

The Aurender will accept internal storage, naturally the Aries will not.

The App for the Aurender is a step above the Lightning app but I would call this a non issue

No remote for the Aurender( Remote for the Aries was only used for on and off)

The front panel display on the Aurender is nice if you want to use it. Large enough to read from 9 ft.

( None on the Aries).

Both support Tidal but again Tidal sounds better on the Aurender. Much more listenable,

List price is 1695 vs 2500 so the Aurender should soundbetter.This is the front of the systemwhere everything starts. So for the 800.00 improvement in a system that may cost $20,000or more we are talking about a 4%increase for a big jump in SQ.

Again just an opinion and we all have one

nicely done russelbobby...

Aurender has remote control functions like the Aries...but through tablet...everything works with the tablet.

Go to settings - Disc information and can turn on and of and restart the unit.

Regarding wireless

I would not like to have an antenna inside my server - polluting it.

Enjoy your new Aurender.

Yea just meant the remote for the Aries was basically only used for on and off. So no remote is no big deal.

Agree on the Antenna. Vocals are just perfect!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question: The aries has 3 digital Outputs. Some information message says that only the usb output is better as the rest of the digital outputs.

My DAC has no usb-Input, only COAX. What can I do with the Aurender digital usb-Output. Is it posiible with a usb/Spdif-TRansponder to have the same qualities as the usb-only(direkt)-output to DAC-Input?

Have someone experience with this device set-up?

Thanks

klemi