IGNORED

New streamers from Aurender!

Hyperion

Theory and real world...

Some findings in the real digital world:

1. Different player implementations can result in different levels.

I.e. if the player also addresses ICC (Inter-sample Clipping Correction) the level may be reduced by some dB. Very often the audio level exceeds 0 dBFS (loudness war) resulting in “harsh” sound if not processed properly.

2. The input sensitivity of amplifiers could be set to an unknown level.

So care should be taken even in the digital world.

Therefore, some Class-D amplifiers enables you to match levels from different sources.

The TDAI 2200 provides sensitivity adjustments of +/- 12dB in 0.1 steps.

In my case, running 16 Bit material in the 24 Bit processing environment means, that adjustments in the 1-2dB range doesn’t matter at all.

Ignoring the real digital world is questionable.

No if they all provide bit perfect output. If they don't - there is little point in doing a comparo.

PS. Audio level can never exceed 0 dBFS in digital, although any samples at 0 dBFS can still clip when converted to analog due to the signal reconstruction process.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

PS. Audio level can never exceed 0 dBFS in digital

I agree! It can happen during the recording and mastering processes.

For further clarification re ICC - here a short view from Lyngdorf:

“When mastering CDs the level is often very high, and by analysis you will often find several consecutive maximum samples indicating something is clipped away from the original signal. With this kind of input some CDs sound very compressed because the headroom is nonexistent.

With ICC (Intersample Clipping Correction), XY products can reshape clipped signals back to their original shape, thus compensating for the loudness war. The result is high quality and pure perfection.” (source: Lyngdorf datasheets)

..but I guess this specific ICC topic is somehow OT in this aurender thread…

mabe

Hello

This is probably a stupid question (I am a newbie). I understand how the streamer works in the above diagram. My question relates to getting the music from the NAS to the Streamer. Does streaming over WiFi support HD music files like 24/192. I was under the impression that streaming over Wifi had a ceiling of 16/44 red book. I am wrong, correct?

Thanks

Joe

Wifi streaming (for example wireless Aries) can be as high as DSD128 and 24/384k. When I use my demo Aries I do that on mine. That doesn't mean the Aurender streamer's can go there, but you asked about bandwidth capabilities of wifi.

On Aurenders web page they say this about their N100:

"..the N100 is the ideal solution for playing high resolution digital music collections from NAS."

And then on the comparison chart they state:

"N 100 - Latest USB DAC users, Does not want to set up NAS.."

So what is it - aimed for those using NAS or not?

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

On Aurenders web page they say this about their N100:

"..the N100 is the ideal solution for playing high resolution digital music collections from NAS."

And then on the comparison chart they state:

"N 100 - Latest USB DAC users, Does not want to set up NAS.."

The N100 is for use with a NAS but can have a 1TB SSD installed inside for local music storage, much in the same way as music is stored on other models. People who have the SSD installed may or may not want to set up a NAS. I hope that clarifies, and I will ask Aurender to edit the description.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

Both. Intend to install large SSD and play w/o NAS but waiting for prices to fall on 2TB + SSD. If I move and have space to locate NAS in separate room from listening room, will return to using NAS with N100.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

Both. Intend to install large SSD and play w/o NAS but waiting for prices to fall on 2TB + SSD. If I move and have space to locate NAS in separate room from listening room, will return to using NAS with N100.

To paraphrase Burger King, you can have it your way. If you install an SSD you can use the N100 with or without a NAS, your choice. Other models such as the X100L can be used with or without a NAS, too. The N100 without SSD needs to be used with a NAS, or at least an external USB drive.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

at the risk of opening a can of worms...... has anyone had a chance to compare

"their best" CAPS or MAC mini to a recent Aurender and be willing to share their thoughts re: respective characteristics/sonic quality/ etc ( OTHER than the obvious "mine's better")

Would really like to understand the nature of differences, if any.

Before ordering Aurender X100 I tested it with MacBook pro with Amarra , cache playback , optimized for audio and wifi turned of.

Aurender won easily my previous MacBook and also Mac minis from other friends.

I also had Auralic Aries and bad experience with it. Difficulties in playback so I was going back and forth to my MacBook pro+Amarra.

Thankfully Aurender X100 came through my dealer and relieved my digital playback.

Best SQ I've ever had topped with convenience and awesome Aurender conductor app on iPad.

Very happy user. Also saved money from S10 with top USB cable and lan isolation.

Before ordering Aurender X100 I tested it with MacBook pro with Amarra , cache playback , optimized for audio and wifi turned of.

Thankfully Aurender X100 came through my dealer and relieved my digital playback.

Best SQ I've ever had topped with convenience and awesome Aurender conductor app on iPad.

Very happy user. Also saved money from S10 with top USB cable and lan isolation.

Good to know. Did you test/check out the N100?

Just fyi, I am also thinking about the X100 and the X100L

No I bought x100L /12tb version because I have almost 8.000 CDs and wish to import on my X100.

I guess N100 is the optimum solution for NAS users and streaming only or for small libraries up to 1terrabyte (internal).

The N100 can be used with both local internal storage and NAS, as can other models. My demo N100 has a 1TB SSD in it, but I also have a 12TB NAS with numerous redundancies and backup, all of which can be expanded substantially.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

I also had Auralic Aries and bad experience with it. Difficulties in playback so I was going back and forth to my MacBook pro+Amarra.

Great testimonial.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

The N100 can be used with both local internal storage and NAS, as can other models. My demo N100 has a 1TB SSD in it, but I also have a 12TB NAS with numerous redundancies and backup, all of which can be expanded substantially.

So your lastest post, and the one you responded to, crystalizes, for me, the tradeoff:

1: A Synology NAS with 8 TB ( which I have, and will shortly have to expand ) and a N100 ( which I would have to get ).

OR

2. Just get a X100L with 12 TB, and be done with it.

I'm currently using a macmini ( blazing fast, they don't make any more: L6 cache; 256SSD; 16gB; i7quad) running w/

Audirvana + 2.0.

So I'm looking a bit a cost, a bit at simplifying, and alot at SQ.

Comments re: config and esp SQ appreciated.

So your lastest post, and the one you responded to, crystalizes, for me, the tradeoff:

1: A Synology NAS with 8 TB ( which I have, and will shortly have to expand ) and a N100 ( which I would have to get ).

OR

2. Just get a X100L with 12 TB, and be done with it.

I'm currently using a macmini ( blazing fast, they don't make any more: L6 cache; 256SSD; 16gB; i7quad) running w/

Audirvana + 2.0.

So I'm looking a bit a cost, a bit at simplifying, and alot at SQ.

Comments re: config and esp SQ appreciated.

HDgeorge's post above may be of interest to you. As for X100L 12TB vs. N100 with NAS, you'll need to run the Aurender Media Manager program to scan your NAS. Maybe not a big deal. As for SQ the answer is it depends on what DAC you're using, even though on the surface it might seem the N100 with its linear PS would be better. I don't have a clear line on that, it's just what I've heard from people. In your situation I might opt for the N100 and expand your NAS. Either way you go, though, you'll enjoy better sound and a superior user interface compared with what you have.

Aurender does not use UPnP, which gets data from the server every time the user wants to see something, whereas Aurender uses the database stored in the iPad, which is generated by AMM or Aurender. That's why the Aurender app is faster and more responsive than other UPnP devices.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

HDgeorge's post above may be of interest to you. As for X100L 12TB vs. N100 with NAS, you'll need to run the Aurender Media Manager program to scan your NAS. Maybe not a big deal. As for SQ the answer is it depends on what DAC you're using, even though on the surface it might seem the N100 with its linear PS would be better. I don't have a clear line on that, it's just what I've heard from people. In your situation I might opt for the N100 and expand your NAS. Either way you go, though, you'll enjoy better sound and a superior user interface compared with what you have.

Aurender does not use UPnP, which gets data from the server every time the user wants to see something, whereas Aurender uses the database stored in the iPad, which is generated by AMM or Aurender. That's why the Aurender app is faster and more responsive than other UPnP devices.

Yeah, thanks, saw his post and have been closely following his comments/comparison.

Re: the stmt: "you'll need to run the Aurender Media Manager program" , is AMM part of the N100 bundle or is there

an extra cost for that - wasn't clear from their website.

Yeah, thanks, saw his post and have been closely following his comments/comparison.

Re: the stmt: "you'll need to run the Aurender Media Manager program" , is AMM part of the N100 bundle or is there

an extra cost for that - wasn't clear from their website.

It's a free download from their website. Just go to the home page and click Support, Downloads and you'll see links for it and the documentation on the page.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

at the risk of opening a can of worms...... has anyone had a chance to compare

"their best" CAPS or MAC mini to a recent Aurender and be willing to share their thoughts re: respective characteristics/sonic quality/ etc ( OTHER than the obvious "mine's better")

Would really like to understand the nature of differences, if any.

A question which I haven't seen answered anywhere is the C.A.P.S v. Aurender/Melco/Totaldac/Antipodes etc. one. I'm particularly interested because I have a large - over 12TB - library which still has to have over a thousand LPs digitised. I use acourate to make the music sound good in my heavily WAF restrained room - which it does.

This leaves me with two main alternatives: Use a C.A.P.S and have JRiver convolve the music on-the-fly, or; use AcourateNAS to permanently alter the music files so they can be played by a non-computer source.

I use both options at the moment - not a C.A.P.S but my normal desktop PC. The main problem with on-the-fly processing is that Jriver seems to shut down on me every half hour or so - probably because I haven't learned how to write a text convolver file (no technical genius here!) and it probably chokes on the WAV correction files.

I run my (permanently) corrected music from a NAS either through Jriver on the PC or directly to a Moon Mind 180. The Moon control point is primitive compared to Jriver which is very flexible and a joy to use.

The trouble with having 200k tracks permanently altered is the obvious one of flexibility - not to mention the incredible amount of time invested in it - by the PC at least! No moving of speakers, no alternative "flavours" of sound etc.

If the C.A.P.S is definitely inferior in SQ compared to the others, I'm willing to put up with the lack of flexibility.

So, after all that hot air, has anybody compared them?

A question which I haven't seen answered anywhere is the C.A.P.S v. Aurender/Melco/Totaldac/Antipodes etc. one. I'm particularly interested because I have a large - over 12TB - library which still has to have over a thousand LPs digitised.

That's the question; well put.

I have a different system set up, but exactly the same type issue:

mac mini / NAS ( and all the "stuff" that goes with it) or aurender???

And dealing with all the music files (closing in on 4TB) in one or the other environment.

thx for laying it out Riddo.

Is it possible with the Aurender app to see attached booklet art such as jpeg's or pdf's à la JRemote?

Basic cover art is displayed. See the documentation on the Aurender website.

Using Aurender Media Manager (AMM) to scan albums on a NAS or external USB drive, the album cover art is added to the database stored in the iPad.

I hope I've answered your question.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

We will have the N100 and the X100L on demo in our room (554) at AXPONA here in April. At this time I am fairly certain Harry Lee and Sally Jeung of Aurender will be present at the show to support us. Our W20 will be on demonstration in the Bricasti Design room (422) as well.

see you then, with my many questions, including: "what's the N10?"

Keep in mind Aurender has to date not released AMM for PC platform. Nice when these devices marketed as PC/Mac friendly, actually are. A simultaneous PC/Mac release of AMM would have been the consumer friendly way, but as always, better a wait for stable software than rush to market compromised software.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.