IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

Will the new REGEN power Supply be capable of powering the green/amber stack? At 1A, I would assume so.

A REGEN itself uses less than 50mA and uses no power from its input VBUS. This means the second REGEN is not pulling any current from the VBUS of the first REGEN. So we have 100mA for the two REGENS plus whatever the DAC is pulling, which is a max of 500mA, so the max load with a two REGEN string is 600mA which will work just fine with the whateveritis.

John S.

...max load with a two REGEN string is 600mA which will work just fine with the whateveritis.

John, how late were you up last night on the routing of the "whateveritis" PCB? That layout is boggling! Glad you are getting a stencil made to solder the prototypes. Still, just hand placing those 200+ tiny parts is not an enviable task. Don't stumble on your way to the stove! ;)

Its okay AMBER, I don't mind. ;)

Hmmm, slightly worried!!

you did refer to the device that must not be named as 'Voldemort' :-0

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

which will work just fine with the whateveritis.

John S.

Is that an inflammation of the whatever?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

This forum makes me smile nearly as much as the REGEN does. Thanks Jud!

Mac Mini (mid 2010) Yosemite, Audirvana Plus v 3.0 > Mapleshade ClearLink Plus USB > UpTone REGEN (Amber) w/LPS-1 > Peachtree nova150 > PSB Imagine T / REL R328 and so on...

I was shocked when the UPS driver drove up just now with 70 more of the hard-to-get Mean Well 7.5V/2.93A/22W SMPS units that we ship with the REGEN. These were not scheduled to arrive until next Monday.

These new 70, plus the 115 REGENs shipped last week and the 30 SMPS we started the morning with puts us at 215 of the 250 promised-for-early-July orders (yeah, I know we are no longer in early July, but I thought it was going to be worse).

So without looking closely at the order book, I am guessing that this week's shipments will catch us up to most orders placed through mid-June. The last 35 of June-placed orders (promised for July) probably won't go until the last week of this month. At the end of this week I'll have a much better assessment of the overall outlook and will report.

I did just download the most current order export from my web site and see that we are down to about the last 30 (of 350) available for mid-August delivery. Jiminy Cricket, I really was hoping we would catch up with orders by August. Time to place blow our PCB and case suppliers' minds with yet another round of POs.

BTW, some magazine reviewers have REGENs now, so I'd best get our production act together in a big hurry before one of them publishes something nice. :)

Thanks all,

--Alex C.

Alex,what web order no does this cover now, 1600 ?

rogerdn

A REGEN itself uses less than 50mA and uses no power from its input VBUS. This means the second REGEN is not pulling any current from the VBUS of the first REGEN. So we have 100mA for the two REGENS plus whatever the DAC is pulling, which is a max of 500mA, so the max load with a two REGEN string is 600mA which will work just fine with the whateveritis.

John S.

John, thanks for the quick answer. Looking forward to this very much. Now my only questions are when do I fill my PayPal account and with how much.

PS Audio P5 Power Plant>HQ Player Mac Book Pro BootCamp Win10>NAA Mac Mini BootCamp Win 10>REGEN Green>REGEN Amber>IFI iDSD Micro>BHSE>Stax SR-009

BTW, some magazine reviewers have REGENs now, so I'd best get our production act together in a big hurry before one of them publishes something nice. :)

What makes you think they're going to like it?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

What makes you think they're going to like it?

A little birdie told me... :)

Actually something rather interesting came up on a call with one reviewer today:

We were discussing how a large number of REGEN users already have very good systems--with fine tuned music servers, special USB cards, high-end USB cables and DACs, etc.--and that while the REGEN does good things for them, the real revolution/revalation is what it does for people with dead-stock computers or streamers and more modest DACs. The reviewer (someone you guys know and like BTW) was the one who brought this up, and he is spot on. For fun some of you should try the REGEN with a much lesser system. I put it on my stock office Mac mini with an old DevilSound adaptive-USB cable-DAC, a cheap integrated amp and a pair of bamboo Audio Engine P4 speakers on my desk--and all I could do was laugh at how big a change it was.

So I am really hoping to spread the word further than just to those of us with top-notch systems, because the bang-for-the-buck factor in more modest systems is VERY high. Hopefully that will come out in the reviews.

In the meantime, I've stopped pussyfooting around and today placed purchase orders for all the parts to build 500 units for September. What a crazy train!

Ciao,

--Alex C.

For fun some of you should try the REGEN with a much lesser system. I put it on my stock office Mac mini

Perhaps Paul needs to try one ? (grin)

Alex C

Be very careful with what you are saying here, because it may impact the sales of the JS2 if people decide that the far less expensive option works wonders with a stock standard Mini !

Regards

Alex K.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

In addition, can someone remind me of the best usb port to use? Mid 2011 macmini - at the moment the Supra cable is in #1, Hi Speed Bus, with an IR receiver.

Hello James,

I, too, have a mid 2011 Mac Mini. Facing the back of the Mac Mini from center left out to the right, I use the first port which is center left and Hi Speed Bus. The mid 2011 Mac Mini is the Thunderbolt Edition Mac Mini. I started with an early 2011 Mac Mini which had an internal Super Writer CD/DVD, and that same #1 USB port on the early 2011 was Hi Speed Bus and entirely empty until I plugged my USB cable into that port. Two months later replaced it with the mid 2011 Thunderbolt edition Mac Mini and determined that same port location was the best of the three ports.

Best,

Richard

Alex,what web order no does this cover now, 1600 ?

Hoping at least through #1538 :)

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

A little birdie told me... :)

Actually something rather interesting came up on a call with one reviewer today:

We were discussing how a large number of REGEN users already have very good systems--with fine tuned music servers, special USB cards, high-end USB cables and DACs, etc.--and that while the REGEN does good things for them, the real revolution/revalation is what it does for people with dead-stock computers or streamers and more modest DACs. The reviewer (someone you guys know and like BTW) was the one who brought this up, and he is spot on. For fun some of you should try the REGEN with a much lesser system. I put it on my stock office Mac mini with an old DevilSound adaptive-USB cable-DAC, a cheap integrated amp and a pair of bamboo Audio Engine P4 speakers on my desk--and all I could do was laugh at how big a change it was.

So I am really hoping to spread the word further than just to those of us with top-notch systems, because the bang-for-the-buck factor in more modest systems is VERY high. Hopefully that will come out in the reviews.

In the meantime, I've stopped pussyfooting around and today placed purchase orders for all the parts to build 500 units for September. What a crazy train!

Ciao,

--Alex C.

I hope there are plenty of measurements and abx testing in the reviews, the objectivists I've tried to convince still have their feet encased in concrete as far as accepting that it can make any difference. 84 pages in this thread isn't evidence apparently, because we are all easily led by the silken tongue sales talk of SD and JS.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

Hello James,

I, too, have a mid 2011 Mac Mini. Facing the back of the Mac Mini from center left out to the right, I use the first port which is center left and Hi Speed Bus. The mid 2011 Mac Mini is the Thunderbolt Edition Mac Mini. I started with an early 2011 Mac Mini which had an internal Super Writer CD/DVD, and that same #1 USB port on the early 2011 was Hi Speed Bus and entirely empty until I plugged my USB cable into that port. Two months later replaced it with the mid 2011 Thunderbolt edition Mac Mini and determined that same port location was the best of the three ports.

Best,

Richard

So, the usb port next to the thunderbolt port?!!

Thanks.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Thanks.

Hi James.

From the Apple menu, click About This Mac; then the Overview tab should come up, where you click System Report; then under Hardware on the left side click USB.

You'll see the USB Device Tree on the upper right, listing USB buses and the internal and external devices on each. You want the Hi-Speed bus with no or the fewest other devices connected.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

For any of those still wanting 3D cases I'll be posting a new design which will not only make some of you happier but might make the REGEN happy over time. Certainly John Swenson will feel all warm and fuzzy. ;-)

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Thanks.

Yes! And I did just what Jud recommends when I made the determination. I just left out that useful information and where it can be found. Sorry for the omission. It is always better to supply more information than a brief recommendation. On my Mac Mini the port I recommended has only the same one item you identified. At least I referred to this, if obliquely, by comparing our mid 2011 to the earlier 2011 Mac Mini, which had an empty Hi Speed Bus until I plugged my USB cable in. BTW: I learned that from Rob Robinson of Pure Music in 2011, who personally helped me configure Pure Music back when; and he made me aware of that criterion which promotes better performance in the end. Pure Music was the first software player I ever purchased when I entered the hobby of computer audiophile. HDtracks.com provided a 10% discount towards the purchase of the software as an incentive. After Pure Music, I just bought all the rest of the software players available at the time. Perhaps, more than you care to know. Just reminiscing (smile).

Best,

Richard

heehee!

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

For any of those still wanting 3D cases I'll be posting a new design which will not only make some of you happier but might make the REGEN happy over time. Certainly John Swenson will feel all warm and fuzzy. ;-)

OK, for the first 95ish people that purchased the REGEN "Green" and have updated their units to "Amber" here is another enclosure. John Swenson mentioned that heat could be an issue over time so here is one that will solve that issue.

You will need:

(1) Enclosure Top

(1) Enclosure Bottom

and one of these:

Enclosure (no cooling vents)

Enclosure One (one "G" Vent)

Enclosure Two (Two "G" Vents top & bottom)

That will make ONE assembly.

Personally I think the Enclosure One is all that's needed but thought I'd do both and be done with it. Obviously the "G" would go to the top as heat rises.

You can grab the files from here.

The slot is .135" as show below

GEnclosure.jpg

For those that want to view the files before purchasing, you can view them using this tool.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

No, but one discussing isolation transformers would be interesting to me. I use two smallish 1:1 transformers for my front end gear, and their secondaries are not grounded. Also of interest to me are the Equi-Tech balanced transformers which as far as I understand are just 1:1 trannys with a grounded center tap. Is that right?

Just got myself an equitech. Jury is still out on that one. Does a lot of things right, but I really want to try plugging my amp directly into the outlet. I do feel that I lost some texture and colour. Unfortunately I don't have a power chord that can make it to the outlet without going through the equitech. Let's see how this goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

jwtrace-

thanks for this G-vented case design! nice idea, about to pull the trigger myself once i locate a reputable US based print shop.

was it ever decided what material is best used for the 3D print of this case? (due to heat, etc.)

can't seem to find the consensus despite early conversations....