IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

jwtrace-

thanks for this G-vented case design! nice idea, about to pull the trigger myself once i locate a reputable US based print shop.

was it ever decided what material is best used for the 3D print of this case? (due to heat, etc.)

can't seem to find the consensus despite early conversations....

These guys can make them as can many others if you use Google.

Personally I don't think it's an issue as the unit doesn't get all that warm and the case isn't air tight. However, with the "G" case (as in "Green") the .135" slot should be enough to let any warmer air out so it's not an issue IMO. I was going to use my FLIR but I thought John was going to do that so I never did and at this point I'm not worried about it.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Just got myself an equitech. Jury is still out on that one. Does a lot of things right, but I really want to try plugging my amp directly into the outlet. I do feel that I lost some texture and colour. Unfortunately I don't have a power chord that can make it to the outlet without going through the equitech. Let's see how this goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Small world, my 1000 watt balanced power supply arrived on Tuesday, a custom made prototype. So far it is best supplied with the Tripplite IS1000HG "true" isolation transformer. I have 4 smaller isolation transformers plugged into it running all the digital stuff. My amp and DAC are directly connected to the balanced transformer. The sound is wonderfully clear and musical, in a subtractive kinda way. Deeper blacks, less fuzz around things.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Can anyone tell me if a LPS with these specs would be ok: Output 9V DC @ 2.5 Amps

It would be fine, but you only need a 1A (continuous rating) supply for the Regen.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Can anyone tell me if a LPS with these specs would be ok: Output 9V DC @ 2.5 Amps

It would be fine, but you only need a 1A (continuous rating) supply for the Regen.

Ah, but a LPS with those specs wouldn't cause any damage to the Regen, then, would it? Even if it's more amps than the Regen requires?

I ask, because I realize that I have a CI Audio VDC-9 power supply, which has these specs: "Output Voltage: 9V DC @ 2.0A"

So if I have the correct cord to connect the VDC-9 to the Regen, that could improve sound more than the stock power supply?

As long as no damage is done, I'm ready to try.

Dave, who got shipping notice this afternoon that his Regen is on its way YAY

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

Hi Dave,

The amperes indicates the maximum amount of electricity that is available (a little like comparing a 1 inch diameter hose with a 4 inch hose - the 4 inch hose will allow more water). So as long as there are enough or more amperes than required, your component should only take what it requires.

Voltage could be compared with the "pressure" that is in that hose. This will be important as if it is too much, then it could harm the component.

This may explain better: Volts, Watts, and Amps

Regards,

Alain

Ah, but a LPS with those specs wouldn't cause any damage to the Regen, then, would it? Even if it's more amps than the Regen requires?

I ask, because I realize that I have a CI Audio VDC-9 power supply, which has these specs: "Output Voltage: 9V DC @ 2.0A"

So if I have the correct cord to connect the VDC-9 to the Regen, that could improve sound more than the stock power supply?

As long as no damage is done, I'm ready to try.

Dave, who got shipping notice this afternoon that his Regen is on its way YAY

If your DAC didn't need USB power to operate, you could even power it from a 12V 7.2AH SLA battery ! (not practical of course)

The Regen will only draw the amount of current it needs from a power supply of a suitable voltage.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Call Dusty at CI Audio so you get the correct DC power cord for this unit into the Regen. I have the same unit and you will need a cord with a 5.5x 2.5 to 5.5 x 2.1 adapter so it will work with the Regen. Dusty can get it to you in a couple of days. The cord that came with it for the Duet will not work with the Regen. He had them in stock at $20 plus shipping. Just got mine today.

Bob

That's right Dave, you are fine to use a 2A (or even greater supply). It's like a strong person who can lift 200 pounds: It's okay to ask them to just lift 100. The device will only draw as much current as it needs. Our own JS-2 LPS can deliver 5-6 amps, but people often use one of its two outputs for a REGEN (or DAC or USB>S/PDIF or SSD, or any of a number of low current demand devices).

But do hang on to the 7.5V/2.93A/22W Mean Well SMPS that is coming with your REGEN. You will likely want to use it to energize our forthcoming (October?) mystery special PS, though CI Audio at 9V/2A will work with that as well.

[EDIT: Ha, ha, everyone gave the same answer at once. You guys are fast! :)]

Thanks guys I ask because I found one of these in my closet

CIAUDIO : VDC•9.0 - High Current Power Supply

And I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to damage my Regen if I used it.

Ah, Erik, we are on the exact same page -- same power supply, same model, same questions.

Cool.

Dave, who much appreciates the other replies about volts and amps and getting the right connector from Dusty V.

Music is love, made audible.

Dave, that one have the good connector.

i bought this one because Alex and John tell it was a good one (with Rcore inside)

Some people here have one too and the benefits on the RÉGEN is ok.

Windows PC server/ Target PC Diretta / Audirvana/ DAC W4S 10th anniversary/ Jadis DA60 / Wilson Audio Sophia 

Just got my email today, the bird is in the sky. I repeat, the bird is in the sky. And by bird I mean Regen Amber. And by sky I mean a USPS freight truck.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

lol.. That was funny ..

Ah, Erik, we are on the exact same page -- same power supply, same model, same questions.

Cool.

Dave, who much appreciates the other replies about volts and amps and getting the right connector from Dusty V.

I'm using this great little 2 x 600ma LPS at the Aurender N100 end of my LAN fibre media converter (delivers a major sonic improvement over other PSUs I've tried):

SMSL P1 Linear Power Supply For M8 / V2 / VA2 / Sanskrit / SD-793II / SD-192 Amp | eBay

As it has 2 separate outputs... can I use one of them for the regen when it arrives (my Auralic VEGA DAC does not need 5V to handshake or operate), and if so, should I set it to 5V or 9V?

Many thanks in advance.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I've recently upgraded the clock of my Regen Amber:

22546607rm.jpg

22546608ib.jpg

The clock I've chosen is a NewClassD Neutron Star Reference Clock with 24.000 MHz. The clock features an own separate low-noise power supply and galvanic insulation towards the Regen. For further Information check out here: www.newclassd.com

The careful disassembly of Regen's clock was a quite easy job to do.

The clock upgrade resulted in a further, significant increase of SQ. Definitely greater than I've expected when I decided to take this experiment. Subjectively said it is about doubling the positive impact Regen Amber brought to my system!

There is again an instantly noticable portion of increased air, room information, realism and emotion in the overall sound. Quite unbelievable and breathtaking. Sending a chill down my spine during listening to already well-known tracks.

So I would just like to encourage the diyers around here to take this step. It's more than worthy the efford and extra costs and it literally takes the Regen into extremes.

All the best, Henning

I've recently upgraded the clock of my Regen Amber:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19781[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19782[/ATTACH]

The clock I've chosen is a NewClassD Neutron Star Reference Clock with 24.000 MHz. The clock features an own separate low-noise power supply and galvanic insulation towards the Regen. For further Information check out here: www.newclassd.com

All the best, Henning

Shame its not a 25mhz clock otherwise the PPA clock mod could be used.

Had a look at the newclassd website, price was a bit too much for me.

But great mod!

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

I'm using this great little 2 x 600ma LPS at the Aurender N100 end of my LAN fibre media converter (delivers a major sonic improvement over other PSUs I've tried):

SMSL P1 Linear Power Supply For M8 / V2 / VA2 / Sanskrit / SD-793II / SD-192 Amp | eBay

As it has 2 separate outputs... can I use one of them for the regen when it arrives (my Auralic VEGA DAC does not need 5V to handshake or operate), and if so, should I set it to 5V or 9V?

Many thanks in advance.

The USB Regen requires a minimum of 6V, so you'll have to select 9V.

The USB Regen requires a minimum of 6V, so you'll have to select 9V.

Thanks, is 600ma enough then, some are saying min 1A is necessary, but surely the regen doesn't pull anywhere near that (if the DAC isn't using any of its power)?

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Cheers ;-)

600mA would work (with the DAC powered separately).

I think JS recently wrote that the Regen itself only needs something like 45mA. (I'm too lazy to search for it.)

:-)

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

I just got one of these. Before putting it to use, I took some time to do a close look at it. I also got the schematic for it for the place I bought it from:

BALPS-5.jpg

Some notes about what I have found so far:

1) C07 is a 4,700uF Nichicon PW(M) cap. Schematic shows it is bypassed with another cap which is not present on the board unless it is hiding on the bottom side of the circuit board.

2) C1 is a 10uF 35V SIMIC II cap.

3) The adjustment pot is not 5K, writing on the parts says it is a 10Kohm.

4) Resistor RM7 is 100 ohms.

5) Diodes are labeled SB560 / 1508 (have not had a chance to look up the part)

6) Electrolytic cap on the output is a 220uF 63V part. Can't see a company name on it besides the letters KY. It is bypassed (C6) by a 0.1uF Wima.

So, it has some decent parts. It is also NOT grounded anywhere. Ground pin on the IEC is not connected to anything. Hot and Neutral (via power switch on front panel) go directly into the power transformer! So, the output of this supply is floated (not grounded in any way)... ground reference will come from whatever you connect it to (if grounded). A quick measurement of leakage current (nothing connected to the output of the power supply, measured AC and DC current from ground to plus, minus, and the chassis) showed 7uA (that is 0.000007A) AC from plus and minus and 5uA AC from the chassis. Zero measured DC current. So, it looks safe to use.

Some more pics of the unit.

BALPS-4.jpg

Hope to try it with my Regen tonight!

BALPS-2.jpg

BALPS-3.jpg

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi

Rich, really appreciate your checking this out. (I've also got one.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So the Regen's DC connector is 5.5mm x 2.1mm does anyone know the size on the CI VDC 9? I may need longer than the 2' cable Dusty has.

Call Dusty at CI Audio so you get the correct DC power cord for this unit into the Regen. I have the same unit and you will need a cord with a 5.5x 2.5 to 5.5 x 2.1 adapter so it will work with the Regen. Dusty can get it to you in a couple of days. The cord that came with it for the Duet will not work with the Regen. He had them in stock at $20 plus shipping. Just got mine today.

Bob