IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

Not necessarily, cleaning up the 5V power before the cable going to the REGEN can result in less differential noise coupled to the data lines in the cable, which will result in less self generated noise by the REGEN.

This effect is going to depend a lot on the cable used between the two, so different systems might have very different results with this.

That's good point John, but wouldn't just taping over USB pin 1 at the computer end (thereby keeping the 5V off the cable to the REGEN entirely) have the same effect for free?

My DAC does not need 5v power. I had seen some picture to tape one port on the connector? Can someone tell one more time how to block power going to DAC.

If you hold the your USB cable with the 'A' end (which goes into your computer) facing towards you and with the white strip down, pin 1 which carries the 5V will be on the right. See:

USB.jpg

Take a business name card (those are thick and stiff, but not too stiff) and cut a strip 1/8-inch wide by 1 inch long (do not make it wider or narrower than 1/8", 3.5mm). Position the strip so that it covers pin 1 but nothing else, and fold it down towards the white plastic and back over the shell. If you get it folded just right, you may want to put a small piece of Scotch-tape on it by the hood of your USB cable so it stays in place while you plug it into your computer. If you get it right, then your data will still flow, but the 5V will not be going down the line. It does make plugging the cable into the jack a bit more snug, but I think that is a good thing.

That's good point John, but wouldn't just taping over USB pin 1 at the computer end (thereby keeping the 5V off the cable to the REGEN entirely) have the same effect for free?

Only if you are using a rear USB port where there is no cable to the USB port.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

For those of you who inserted a 3 ohm resistor in a usb cable ground to feed your Regen green prior to getting an Amber try this. Plug this resistor ground usb cable into the green then plug the green into the amber. What a friggin' delight. Tight bass and oh so transparent. I cannot believe how much treasure these things give you in terms of musical pleasure. Now I can hardly wait for the new Uptone PS and wonder whether I should get 2. I was originally going to sell my green but now it ain't coming out of my system.

Take a business name card (those are thick and stiff, but not too stiff) and cut a strip 1/8-inch wide by 1 inch long (do not make it wider or narrower than 1/8", 3.5mm). Position the strip so that it covers pin 1 but nothing else, and fold it down towards the white plastic and back over the shell. If you get it folded just right, you may want to put a small piece of Scotch-tape on it by the hood of your USB cable so it stays in place while you plug it into your computer. If you get it right, then your data will still flow, but the 5V will not be going down the line. It does make plugging the cable into the jack a bit more snug, but I think that is a good thing.

I used a 1/2" length of 1/16" wide chart tape. It has a weak adhesive on one side. I used tweezers to locate it precisely over pin 1, with a little sticking out to fold over the edge and keep it from being wiped back on insertion. I didn't want anymore snugness in the connector fit, as it was plenty tight to start with (Supra .7m)

Just another approach...

That little piece of tape taught me that my HGC does need 5v (at least at startup) to register as a device on the bus. That was when I removed the Regen for upgrading, and listening test of an older cable. Had me going for a moment :)

That little piece of tape taught me that my HGC does need 5v (at least at startup) to register as a device on the bus. That was when I removed the Regen for upgrading, and listening test of an older cable. Had me going for a moment :)

Did the same thing with tape for the iDSD Nano and found the same thing as well: it needs the +5V.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I was shocked when the UPS driver drove up just now with 70 more of the hard-to-get Mean Well 7.5V/2.93A/22W SMPS units that we ship with the REGEN. These were not scheduled to arrive until next Monday.

These new 70, plus the 115 REGENs shipped last week and the 30 SMPS we started the morning with puts us at 215 of the 250 promised-for-early-July orders (yeah, I know we are no longer in early July, but I thought it was going to be worse).

So without looking closely at the order book, I am guessing that this week's shipments will catch us up to most orders placed through mid-June. The last 35 of June-placed orders (promised for July) probably won't go until the last week of this month. At the end of this week I'll have a much better assessment of the overall outlook and will report.

I did just download the most current order export from my web site and see that we are down to about the last 30 (of 350) available for mid-August delivery. Jiminy Cricket, I really was hoping we would catch up with orders by August. Time to place blow our PCB and case suppliers' minds with yet another round of POs.

BTW, some magazine reviewers have REGENs now, so I'd best get our production act together in a big hurry before one of them publishes something nice. :)

Thanks all,

--Alex C.

Thanks Alex. I just did that to the solid adapter which came with my Regen and my DAC is working fine without any power from Regen.

Thanks Alex. I just did that to the solid adapter which came with my Regen and my DAC is working fine without any power from Regen.

Okay, but do that to your USB cable at the computer end so that 5V does not even run down the cord next to the data (though if it is not connected to any pin at the REGEN no current will be flowing).

For those of you who inserted a 3 ohm resistor in a usb cable ground to feed your Regen green prior to getting an Amber try this. Plug this resistor ground usb cable into the green then plug the green into the amber. What a friggin' delight. Tight bass and oh so transparent. I cannot believe how much treasure these things give you in terms of musical pleasure. Now I can hardly wait for the new Uptone PS and wonder whether I should get 2. I was originally going to sell my green but now it ain't coming out of my system.

John didn't use 3.3 ohms in the Amber Regen. If you have say a 10 ohm resistor try that and see if it gives a further improvement over the 3.3 ohms.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Okay, but do that to your USB cable at the computer end so that 5V does not even run down the cord next to the data (though if it is not connected to any pin at the REGEN no current will be flowing).

In addition, can someone remind me of the best usb port to use? Mid 2011 macmini - at the moment the Supra cable is in #1, Hi Speed Bus, with an IR receiver.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

In addition, can someone remind me of the best usb port to use? Mid 2011 macmini - at the moment the Supra cable is in #1, Hi Speed Bus, with an IR receiver.

Mine's in the 2nd listed USB Hi-Speed Bus which it shares with the Built-in iSight and the IR Recever. I have another 4 WD Passports connected via a Moshi External Hub and one other Passport connected via a USB port on the iMac. All of those are listed on the other Hi-Speed Bus.

Therefore it seems that the 2nd USB bus is the exclusive one. To my ears it also seems the less noisy port irrespective of the number of devices connected on the other bus.

There's an iSight disabler script available as well and I'm sure there's a way to turn off the IR as well. I haven't bothered with that one yet as I don't use a remote with my iMac.

iMac i5 w/ ROON > HP Stream w/ Fidelizer > Intona Industrial > Singxer F-1 DDC > ABBAS DAC3.1SE > Line Magnetic LM-518IA > Altec 604-8G in Custom 350L Cabinets + REL R-528

Best port = least used one. Check what is on all your ports, then choose the least busy one for audio out. Rearrange ports if needed and possible.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

On a Windows PC, how do we tell which USB ports are connected to each other?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Device Manager

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Device manager>view by connection

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Will the new REGEN power Supply be capable of powering the green/amber stack? At 1A, I would assume so.

PS Audio P5 Power Plant>HQ Player Mac Book Pro BootCamp Win10>NAA Mac Mini BootCamp Win 10>REGEN Green>REGEN Amber>IFI iDSD Micro>BHSE>Stax SR-009

Superbad

New handle, Alex?

:P

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I know you guys (Superbad and John) are making final decisions on the new power supply thingie but since I may want to buy 2 what is the ballpark cost? I have to balance funds with my other expenses .

'Superbad' has already stated that it is too early to say anything about price.

It is SUPERDAD INSTEAD BAD

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable