IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

Finally I get my Blue USB Regen.

huh.png

tantrum.gif

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Maybe I'm oversimplifying (and I only have the original Regen, not the Amber), but given the frequencies involved, it makes sense to me that noise more easily obscures bass frequencies than higher frequencies....thus with less noise as the result of the Regen, I hear what I would describe as tighter bass, not necessarily more bass...

Randy

Bass isn't just LF sine waves. Drums for example can have VERY fast rise times and HF harmonics at low level which may be buried in low level wideband noise.

Click on the image a couple of times to see a larger image.

ji57.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Finally I get my Blue USB Regen. No problem with customs here, but with the rivers and dangerous jungle to reach his destination.

Thanks Alex & John for the pure silver DC cable.

I have not had time to listen but I guess that far surpass the green and amber I already had.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19387[/ATTACH]

Roch

You're killing me here Roch!

Pure silver DC cable indeed. ;)

Besides, you won't see me putting blue LEDs in an UpTone product anytime soon. I hate 'em. And they could even be considered a health hazard (Blue LEDs: A health hazard? | Texyt).

Also, the ultra-low-current surface-mount LED series we use on the REGEN boards is not available in blue. Just red, green, yellow, and that weird aluminum indium gallium phosphide mix that nets the amber/orange as currently used. (Might knock down the brightness a bit more in a future run if I remember.)

blue ?

special order ?

Yes, it's the topicalized version. Snakes & tarantulas doesn't like blue color (me neither, but because the LED is in the back can't see it).

i'm sorry Alex for reveal the next possible upgrade, the silver wire DC lead cable :)

Just beginning to listen with the B7 Lampi, Oh my, Oh my, Oh my...

Roch

Finally I get my Blue USB Regen. No problem with customs here, but with the rivers and dangerous jungle to reach his destination.

Blue Regen - have I missed something? Smurf Regen?

I wouldn't worry too much about rivers and jungles.

Customs yes - some funny creatures over there for sure.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Just beginning to listen with the B7 Lampi, Oh my, Oh my, Oh my...

Roch

Roch, you are one fortunate MF. The B& Lampi (or if I one day get rich, the Golden Gate) is my dream DAC currently. Please enjoy.

I will be down in the tropics in August (near Sao Paulo). I love it there, except it is a ~ 30 hours of flying each way from Shanghai. I will wear all blue to keep the snakes and tarantulas at bay.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

I will wear all blue to keep the snakes and tarantulas at bay.

Wow, so that is really a thing? Blue keeps snakes away? I learn something every day. Thanks Thomas! ;)

P.S. Got your e-mail about the JS-2 reservation. I'll get back to you next week. Tomorrow and the weekend I have to stay in the workshop and away from the computer or I'll really fall off schedule.

Alex can your companion power device slip under the REGEN and support it? I guess that depends on the height of the USB port on the DAC, but it would be a nice feature if it's feasible. I'm hoping this thing is going to be much smaller than the Mean Well SMPS.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

You're killing me here Roch!

Pure silver DC cable indeed. ;)

Besides, you won't see me putting blue LEDs in an UpTone product anytime soon. I hate 'em. And they could even be considered a health hazard (Blue LEDs: A health hazard? | Texyt).

Also, the ultra-low-current surface-mount LED series we use on the REGEN boards is not available in blue. Just red, green, yellow, and that weird aluminum indium gallium phosphide mix that nets the amber/orange as currently used. (Might knock down the brightness a bit more in a future run if I remember.)

Good, I hate the blue ones, too. Especially when they are very bright. They seem to be the most annoying. Why are they used so much by so many manufacturers? Are they cheaper or something?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

green LED was actually brighter than the new *orange* :P one

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Considering the positioning most Regen's have behind USB converters/Dac's and being totally out of sight for the most part, I'm surprised anyone would concern themselves with the color of the case or color of the LED light (which I've covered up anyways). It's a non-issue afaic and a waste of money to anyone but those who have money to waste. Now spending money on a linear power supply or future Uptone Audio products (hopefully one in the same), now that's a topic worth talking about.

Cheers,

Robin

Considering the positioning most Regen's have behind USB converters/Dac's and being totally out of sight for the most part, I'm surprised anyone would concern themselves with the color of the case or color of the LED light (which I've covered up anyways). It's a non-issue afaic and a waste of money to anyone but those who have money to waste. Now spending money on a linear power supply or future Uptone Audio products (hopefully one in the same), now that's a topic worth talking about.

Cheers,

Robin

As usual, great post!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Considering the positioning most Regen's have behind USB converters/Dac's and being totally out of sight for the most part, I'm surprised anyone would concern themselves with the color of the case or color of the LED light

no idea what you're talking about :P

150627_P1000495.jpg

:lol:

(btw: tubes do not emit any light. just the two preamp ones barely, at night ;) )

headphones system:

Hallo,

It came in the post today :-)

I have a question, it may have been answered in this long thread, if it have apologies.

I have a Devialet 200, It is mounted on the wall—hence it do not look any good with the regen and the USB cable sticking out. My question is.

Would I be better off with this solution.

My PC- solid adapter – Regen – USB cable (Transparent Premium USB) – Devialet

Or

My PC - USB cable (Transparent Premium USB) – Regen – short USB cable (perhaps this best USB cable, USB cable, USBcable, USB, cable - AQVOX Audio Devices) – Devialet

Hope some help

Kind regards Morten

Hi Morten,

As per what is recommended, the shortest space between the Regen and the dac USB port, the better. Since the Regen takes the "hit" in "recovering the signal" (instead of the dac USB port), it is better to not let the signal again be in need of "recovery" once it arrives at the dac USB port... The solid adapter is the best recommendation between Regen and the dac.

In short, the promiscuity between the Regen and the dac is a good thing :)

Hope this helps.

Alain

Hallo,

It came in the post today :-)

I have a question, it may have been answered in this long thread, if it have apologies.

I have a Devialet 200, It is mounted on the wall—hence it do not look any good with the regen and the USB cable sticking out. My question is.

Would I be better off with this solution.

My PC- solid adapter – Regen – USB cable (Transparent Premium USB) – Devialet

Or

My PC - USB cable (Transparent Premium USB) – Regen – short USB cable (perhaps this best USB cable, USB cable, USBcable, USB, cable - AQVOX Audio Devices) – Devialet

Hope some help

Kind regards Morten

Hello Morten,

Are you Morten of 2L Recordings? My curiosity has gotten the best of me. No need to respond if you do not wish to. I have been a customer of 2L and have corresponded with the Morton connected to 2L, hence my curiosity.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Finally got my amber Regen. Transit to Amsterdam took 3 days. Customs clearance took 6 days (!) and cost me an additional 22 euros.

Going to try it with iFi Micro, Teac 501, Mytek 192stereo and Auralic Vega.

Thanks Alex!

Cheap taxes! I paid (here in the jungle) 43.32 Euros for taxes, but customs clearance was only 2 days...!

Roch

Cheers,

Robin

Well, I have a friend who sometimes works in electronic repairs and when he make some work for me leaves everything sharp. Why? I asked. If someone opens the gear I like everything to look perfect, that's my purpose. He answers...

Roch

Hi Alain

Yes I know that the shortest way is the preferred, I was just wondering--the USB cable I have now will most likely be better than the short cable, hence I thought that it might be better to do it this way, if another have done any experiments or can recommend a good short cable please let me know.

@Richard, No I am not that Morten, it is a common name in Scandinavia, I believe that 2L is from Norway, I am in Denmark :-)

Have a nice weekend.

Kind regards Morten

Hi Alain

Yes I know that the shortest way is the preferred, I was just wondering--the USB cable I have now will most likely be better than the short cable, hence I thought that it might be better to do it this way, if another have done any experiments or can recommend a good short cable please let me know.

@Richard, No I am not that Morten, it is a common name in Scandinavia, I believe that 2L is from Norway, I am in Denmark :-)

Have a nice weekend.

Kind regards Morten

Hi Morten, first an answer, then a question.

I tried my regular USB cable as well as the short included adapter cable. I don't remember a huge difference between them, but both were significantly worse than the solid adapter.

Thus the question: Is there some sort of wall mount holder you can use or build that would both allow you to use the Regen with the solid adapter and look decent?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.