IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

Thanks Alex!

In general, although not a good idea with the Regen, at least with Voltage Regulator I.C's, you are normally able to connect a low value series resistor at the output of each regulator before their outputs are connected together, which assists with current sharing between them. However, their current capabilities should be the same, and their output voltages adjusted (if possible) to give a minimal difference between them before connecting them together. You would also need a capacitor of a suitable value connected at the combined output.

So it may be possible to parallel 2 similar PSUs if you do this.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

In general, although not a good idea with the Regen, at least with Voltage Regulator I.C's, you are normally able to connect a low value series resistor at the output of each regulator before their outputs are connected together, which assists with current sharing between them. However, their current capabilities should be the same, and their output voltages adjusted (if possible) to give a minimal difference between them before connecting them together. You would also need a capacitor of a suitable value connected at the combined output.

So it may be possible to parallel 2 similar PSUs if you do this.

Alex

Thanks for the additional info!

Mike

Anyone...

I have a friend (and prospective USB Regen buyer) at Head-Fi who is wondering if, in general, there's any reason to avoid combining the output of two linear regulated 5V 1A power supplies of identical make and model in a parallel circuit to deliver 5V 2A.

The actual load will be something less than 500 mA, so it's a given that a single 5V 1A linear regulated power supply would provide sufficient current, but theoretically speaking, is there any reason to avoid combining their outputs in a parallel circuit?

(The two power supplies would be plugged into the mains without isolation transformers or any other kind of power conditioning.)

Concerns include any possible damage to the two power supplies, to the load (which is a USB-powered DAC), and the potential negative impact on sound quality.

Thank you!

Mike

Here we go, this is far more than you ever wanted to know about load sharing. If you parallel the outputs of two regulators the one with the highest voltage gets all the current, the other nothing.

There IS a way around this, adding a small value resistor to the output of each, this will allow some current sharing to happen, note, it is NEVER equal, the one with the higher voltage is always going to draw more current, by choosing the right resistor values you can get them close, but never the same.

I think it's best to give a real world example, it's easier to understand.

Let's say you have two nominally 5v regulators both good for 1A. Let's say one has an output of 5.05V and the other exactly 5.00V. (I'll call the higher one HV and the lower one LV). Let's also arbitrarily choose 0.1 ohm resistors. Both HV and LV go through their own 0.1 ohm resistor, which are then connected to an adjustable current load.

When you turn this on and start increasing the load current, it ALL comes out of HV until the current gets to 0.5A, which is the point where the voltage drop across HV's resistor matches the voltage on LV's resistor (0.5A x 0.1R = 50mv). At this point LV starts supplying current, but HV is already supplying half an amp, not very well balanced.

At one amp you wind up with 0.25A coming out of LV and 0.75A coming out of HV. This comes about because at 0.25A the drop across 0.1R is 25mv, that means the voltage is 25mv less than 5V (LV's output voltage). HV's resistor has the 50mv PLUS the drop across LV's resistor, which totals 75mv, and 75mv across 0.1 ohm is 0.75A. Not very good current sharing, but only 25mv drop from LV's voltage.

Next let's try 0.2 ohm resistors, I'll skip all the math (left as an exercise for the reader) with this you get 0.375A for LV and 0.625A for HV. A little better current sharing, but now you have 75mv drop from LV's output voltage.

Increasing the resistors will give you better current sharing, but greater voltage drop. It's a tradeoff you have to make.

John S.

Hi. Help wanted.. Just ploug in regen but ny pc Will not recognize it.! I vant install any driver for it, so kind of stuck in nowhere land..! I an useing jriver 20 Windows 7pro (yes i know others are better) Deqx hdp-5 (pre amp/Dac )

Hi. Help wanted.. Just ploug in regen but ny pc Will not recognize it.! I vant install any driver for it, so kind of stuck in nowhere land..! I an useing jriver 20 Windows 7pro (yes i know others are better) Deqx hdp-5 (pre amp/Dac )

Have you shut everything down and started it backup with the REGEN plugged in?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Yes :-/ .. can't get arround it! Windows will not install drivers aswell ..

There are no drivers for the REGEN. Do you mean for the dac? What about if you get it working without the REGEN then add the REGEN and restart the dac only?

Have you tried a different USB Cable by any chance?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

There are no drivers for the REGEN. Do you mean for the dac? What about if you get it working without the REGEN then add the REGEN and restart the dac only?

Have you tried a different USB Cable by any chance?

Yes but it seems as if Windows find Regen, tryes to "install it" but fails. Then i can't chose my xmos usb as before... I use supra usb cabel, but i can try a nother..

Decided to by-pass my cognitive self and just set my system to play for approximately 3X24hrs trusting my intuition that breakin/burnin/nothingin might contribute to the overall output of my recent UA (UpTone Audio) additions. Don't know if I am a genius or genuine genie, but I have been playing MFSL Kind Of Blue, Hybrid SACD, redbook layer then the SACD layer through my Oppo 95 (I know from another time). Then Chet Baker's Easy Living HDt.com DL 192/24 AIFF, and I am enjoying the best SQ yet. Do not know if there is, in fact, an advantage gained by sending a signal through the Regen Amber for a sustained period of time (how many times/minutes/hours/days?), or I just landed on a bunch of downloads that were well produced and sound good inspite of the UpTone Audio's refinement. Except that I have been listening to my system from the time I installed the JS-2/MMK/Regen Amber (removed the Mean Well SMPS) which produced immediate improvement with the JS-2 powering my Mac Mini and Regen Amber compared to the Mean Well SMPS alone. But as good as the improvement was, most recently with added hours of non-stop play, the SQ has improved.

Of course, John and Alex can chime in and tell me I am imagining that a burnin/breakin/movein has made a difference. Or perhaps I have hypnotized myself into an expectation bias that matches the price I paid for all those enhancements.

Or perhaps, the more the merrier, and I am getting more merrier with more play time on these marvelous components. I acknowledge that poorly produced albums sound worse and many albums improve that were thought to be unlistenable, and well-produced albums sound better and better over extended play time, which I am presently experiencing after sustained playtime.

Try it, you may just like it.

Music's the thing; the equipment seduces,

Richard

Yes but it seems as if Windows find Regen, tryes to "install it" but fails. Then i can't chose my xmos usb as before... I use supra usb cabel, but i can try a nother..

Try another USB port if you have one. Switching to another USB port on my 12 year old HTPC worked for me when all the time (for years) I was blaming my USB cable.

The REGEN itself will not need a driver, it is just a hub. If your DAC needs a driver you may have to reinstall it so it will recognize the REGEN in the path.

First try turning off computer, REGEN and DAC, plug in the USB connections, then power up the DAC, then the REGEN, then the computer. If this does not work try re-installing the DAC driver. That will usually fix it.

John S.

Here we go, this is far more than you ever wanted to know about load sharing. If you parallel the outputs of two regulators the one with the highest voltage gets all the current, the other nothing.

There IS a way around this, adding a small value resistor to the output of each, this will allow some current sharing to happen, note, it is NEVER equal, the one with the higher voltage is always going to draw more current, by choosing the right resistor values you can get them close, but never the same.

I think it's best to give a real world example, it's easier to understand.

Let's say you have two nominally 5v regulators both good for 1A. Let's say one has an output of 5.05V and the other exactly 5.00V. (I'll call the higher one HV and the lower one LV). Let's also arbitrarily choose 0.1 ohm resistors. Both HV and LV go through their own 0.1 ohm resistor, which are then connected to an adjustable current load.

When you turn this on and start increasing the load current, it ALL comes out of HV until the current gets to 0.5A, which is the point where the voltage drop across HV's resistor matches the voltage on LV's resistor (0.5A x 0.1R = 50mv). At this point LV starts supplying current, but HV is already supplying half an amp, not very well balanced.

At one amp you wind up with 0.25A coming out of LV and 0.75A coming out of HV. This comes about because at 0.25A the drop across 0.1R is 25mv, that means the voltage is 25mv less than 5V (LV's output voltage). HV's resistor has the 50mv PLUS the drop across LV's resistor, which totals 75mv, and 75mv across 0.1 ohm is 0.75A. Not very good current sharing, but only 25mv drop from LV's voltage.

Next let's try 0.2 ohm resistors, I'll skip all the math (left as an exercise for the reader) with this you get 0.375A for LV and 0.625A for HV. A little better current sharing, but now you have 75mv drop from LV's output voltage.

Increasing the resistors will give you better current sharing, but greater voltage drop. It's a tradeoff you have to make.

John S.

Thank you very much!

Hi Alex... I have a pair of Tripp-Lite IS-1000 isolation transformers that were designed for/marketed to hospitals. They are rated at 1000 watts and each have four outlets. There is zero mechanical hum from either unit.

Curiously, I procured them several years back for use with my audio sources and didn't particularly like their effect so they've roosted in a closet until enlisted recently for their service with wall warts (at which they excel). BTW, they are exceedingly heavy and place a challenge with both placement and real estate on my rack.

Best,

Nick

mvvdrg2iIgzHHBA6oFSsijQ.jpg

I use a Tripp lite IS-1000 at the root of my power system. My amp and 4 tripplite IS250s form the power zones. When I hear a hum it indicates a ground loop, so it is useful that way as well.

Hey guys!

Researching your affordable isolation transformers, I came across this 2004 thread in the avsforum.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/482152-high-performance-tripp-lite-toroidal-isolation-transformer.html

Please tell me what you think of the OP's claims and the unanswered question in post #6, especially.

Why would it be beneficial (or not beneficial) to "float" the secondary, by disconnecting it from "the neutral of its A/C outlet"?

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks so much Alex for getting my REGEN Amber out to me. Sounds lovely.

I've been doing this...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19555[/ATTACH]

Is that the same colour 'amber' as the LED?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Hi,

Not sure if this should go on the Regen thread or on my DAC's forum. But here goes.

I'm planning on putting the Regen between my PC and DAC - a LH Labs Pulse. The Pulse is powered by the matching LPS; the LPS has USB input and output additionally for the purpose of supplying power filtering (I believe).

So if the Regen goes at the end-point (the USB input at the DAC) what should my USB cable setup be?

• PC -> LPS -> Regen -> DAC, or
  • PC -> Regen -> DAC

I'm thinking the filtering of the LPS is superfluous as the Regen will do it all.

Also, does this mean that USB cables I own with the best quality goes between Regen and DAC? Does the USB cable type matter much between PC and Regen?

Thanks

Hi,

Not sure if this should go on the Regen thread or on my DAC's forum. But here goes.

I'm planning on putting the Regen between my PC and DAC - a LH Labs Pulse. The Pulse is powered by the matching LPS; the LPS has USB input and output additionally for the purpose of supplying power filtering (I believe).

So if the Regen goes at the end-point (the USB input at the DAC) what should my USB cable setup be?

• PC -> LPS -> Regen -> DAC, or
  • PC -> Regen -> DAC

I'm thinking the filtering of the LPS is superfluous as the Regen will do it all.

Also, does this mean that USB cables I own with the best quality goes between Regen and DAC? Does the USB cable type matter much between PC and Regen?

Thanks

I have a similar setup with the LH Labs LPS + DAC and have to-date been using the LH Labs split cable run through the LPS, as you mention. I just tried it direct (with a LH Labs non-split USB cable) and can honestly say I don't hear much difference one way or the other. If anything, I would say the non-split cable direct to the Regen sounds a bit more "lively" / less "tame".

Without a signal analyzer or ADC of any sort to analyze the actual output, I can't say for sure, but I'm going to try in the direct configuration for a few days to see how I like it.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I had to reboot my computer twice. The first time ... No sound. The second time everything worked fine. Not sure why.

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

I was thinking of ordering a SOtM battery supply to power my SMS-100 mini server. But I realized I could use it to power the Regen instead and see which way it made more difference.

Any one have the SOtM battery supply and a Regen? Would be interested to hear what the combo sounds like.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)