IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

I've been a star-quad fan for decades (first tried Canare star-quad microphone cable as line level audio interconnect in the late 1970s), and at Hovland the interconnect wire we had made for us--for use inside our preamps/amps and also as a popular interconnect--was silver-plated, teflon-insulated, star-quad with a braided shield over an inner jacket for spacing.

I've been using Mogami 2534 microphone cable for interconnects since I bought a 100' roll back in the late '70s.

Just now discovered that it is a 'star-quad' configuration. Cool !

That gets me thinking:

Larry, can you go ahead and try your green/amber units in the other order--so amber>green--and let us know what you hear?

That way the USB ground line from your computer/cable will encounter our added resistance in the first REGEN. So that might end up being the better sounding order for a green/amber cascade.

Hi Alex,

This message is to confirm that after re-testing, the green->amber combo sounds better than amber->green. Amber>green gives a flatter presentation with less depth and air. These qualities are restored after the switch back to green-> amber.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Hi Alex... I have a pair of Tripp-Lite IS-1000 isolation transformers that were designed for/marketed to hospitals. They are rated at 1000 watts and each have four outlets. There is zero mechanical hum from either unit.

Curiously, I procured them several years back for use with my audio sources and didn't particularly like their effect so they've roosted in a closet until enlisted recently for their service with wall warts (at which they excel). BTW, they are exceedingly heavy and place a challenge with both placement and real estate on my rack.

Best,

Nick

mvvdrg2iIgzHHBA6oFSsijQ.jpg

Interesting that you mention the isolation transformer.

I'm using two decades old Audio Power Industried 'Power Wedge Ultra 215p' power conditioner, that was sitting in my closet for like 20 years unused.

It was too much for any DAC or preamp, but SMPSs seem to love it ! I use it for anything from my computer LCD monitor to Regen's SMPS. It is also dead quiet and has 5 separate transformers to isolate each circuit.

Best of all: it looks nice placed on a rack and can be had for as little as $300 used on AudiogoN (well, probably not anymore, LOL).

NyQ4si.jpg

I have briefly compared the Teddy Pardo ultra low noise linear PSU and vs Regen supplied SMPS (both connected to this Power Wedge) and found little difference.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Alex,

Pls consider again selling us early adopters an extra cases for our Greens. Since they turned out to work beautifully in series with Ambers, very few will probably end up in a trash bin (which I believe was the assumption). Most of us will probably still use them.

As the PCB is naked now, I'm affraid that I will short it one day.

I would be more than happy to pay you another $45 shipped for the case (or whatever you charge). If you can handle that the same way you did with the new board payments/shimpents, that would be perfect.

There is no hurry. Most of us can probably wait a month or two before you restock the cases in greater quantities and will be comfortable with shipping a few more.

Adam

$175 -$45= $130

Alex,

Pls consider again selling us early adopters an extra cases for our Greens. Since they turned out to work beautifully in series with Ambers, very few will probably end up in a trash bin (which I believe was the assumption). Most of us will probably still use them.

I would be more than happy to pay you another $45 shipped for the case (or whatever you charge). If you can handle that the same way you did with the new board payments/shimpents, that would be perfect.

There is no hurry. Most of us can probably wait a month or two before you restock the cases in greater quantities and will be comfortable with shipping a few more.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Hi Alex,

This message is to confirm that after re-testing, the green->amber combo sounds better than amber->green. Amber>green gives a flatter presentation with less depth and air. These qualities are restored after the switch back to green-> amber.

Larry

Makes sense as the "better" unit should be as close to the Dac as possible.
$175 -$45= $130

Note the request does NOT include the Meanwell SMPS, accessory cables and original packaging...just the case.

The US guys can commission a 3D printed case...not so easy in Europe.

Jason, can you hook a fellow Regen owner up?

Those are worth under $20 afaik. My point was Alex was doing us a favor, and made a point of saying he did not want substandard product out there with the Uptone name being resold. I feel we should be grateful for not having to purchase an Amber at retail- which is always an option.

Note the request does NOT include the Meanwell SMPS, accessory cables and original packaging...just the case.

Forrest:

You should easily be able to get one made by you...it would cost more in shipping from me then the actual case.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Get a piece of big heat-shrink tubing to protect it.

That is a great idea, well that is what my wallet says :) I looked into getting a case 3D printed, but the only metal option was sterling silver and it was going to be more than $200. It would be nice bling ... though for that money I would rather get another Regen.

Anyway, that heat-shrink tubing is looking very attractive right now. Come to think of it, I have an Olimex USB-ISO, it is a similar size and it was just covered with a bit of heat shrink. Daudio, thanks for the idea, my wallet appreciates it.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Alex,

Perhaps Alex can guide us to the Japanese manufacturer, we can buy directly from him, at a premium?

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

You should easily be able to get one made by you...it would cost more in shipping from me then the actual case.

Believe it or not, I went to a local Makers expo last weekend and this would cost in the hundreds to make here. Shipping from the US to here is less than $10, so $30- max. Are you game?

That is a great idea, well that is what my wallet says :) I looked into getting a case 3D printed, but the only metal option was sterling silver and it was going to be more than $200. It would be nice bling ... though for that money I would rather get another Regen.

Anyway, that heat-shrink tubing is looking very attractive right now. Come to think of it, I have an Olimex USB-ISO, it is a similar size and it was just covered with a bit of heat shrink. Daudio, thanks for the idea, my wallet appreciates it.

Do you guys have a link or even a picture of this? Would this diffuse the internal heat from the board as well?

Believe it or not, I went to a local Makers expo last weekend and this would cost in the hundreds to make here. Shipping from the US to here is less than $10, so $30- max. Are you game?

For an ABS case? Seriously?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

$175 -$45= $130

I'm willing to pay $45 extra over $45 I have already paid for the new board. So it is more like:

$175 -$45 -$45 = $85 - this is the actual premium you would have to pay to get the current Regen Amber with all accessories.

In other words, what you are getting for your $90 ($45 for the PCB + $45 for the case) is an old, used Regen with zero accessores (no PSU, no cables, no box).

It is hardly a bargain then, as the current Amber Regens, with all accessories are gonna show up sooner or later S/H in the $100-$120 range.

Adam

Those are worth under $20 afaik. My point was Alex was doing us a favor, and made a point of saying he did not want substandard product out there with the Uptone name being resold. I feel we should be grateful for not having to purchase an Amber at retail- which is always an option.

There is a 100 or so Greens is already on the market, and some of us will end up selling them anyway. There is no way to prevent that.

Adam

Trinity DAC, MSB M202 Amplifier, Magico S5 speakers and... you're seriously worrying about $175 a second brand new Regen would set you? :-/

not my business but... :lol:

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Yes, but without an original case it cannot be seen as a THE product (a full finished unit). I still do not get your assumption about costs. How it might distill as compared to a used item is likely none of their concern. They sell it new.

There is a 100 or so Greens is already on the market, and some of us will end up selling them anyway. There is no way to prevent that.

Forrest:

Do you guys have a link or even a picture of this? Would this diffuse the internal heat from the board as well?

Heat shrink would not diffuse the internal heat from the board, probably the least ideal choice of all temperature wise, though I thought maybe if I use a piece of heat shrink, though leave each end exposed (that is just cover top and bottom of the board, not completely enclose) then that would allow at least some heat to escape. Cost at my local electronics shop would be a few dollars, then just grab my heat gun (or my GF's hair dryer). It would at least prevent dust getting on the exposed green Regen (which would make it run hotter). Not a pretty solution or ideal temperature wise, though easy to do and very inexpensive.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Heat shrink would not diffuse the internal heat from the board, probably the least ideal choice of all temperature wise, though I thought maybe if I use a piece of heat shrink, though leave each end exposed (that is just cover top and bottom of the board, not completely enclose) then that would allow at least some heat to escape. Cost at my local electronics shop would be a few dollars, then just grab my heat gun (or my GF's hair dryer). It would at least prevent dust getting on the exposed green Regen (which would make it run hotter). Not a pretty solution or ideal temperature wise, though easy to do and very inexpensive.

And you could even experiment with drilling some evenly spaced holes in the material before you shrink it. :-)

UpTone Audio Regen order UA web #1585 Incoming...

I have a multi DAC system. Does the Regen come with drivers and acts like an USB converter- or is it pass through deal where the DACs drivers are needed?

Thanks

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition / Stax SR-009, SR-007 MKI, SR-007 MKII

Lumin A-1 Network Player

iPAD Pro / JRemote App

JRiver 21 / unRAID NAS