IGNORED

Official OS X Yosemite Thread

Daniel Weiss wrote me that the DAC2 has a problem with Yosemite which will be fixed by a new driver next week.

Obviousley they are surprised by new OS like every time. Apple seems to gives them only short note.

The only way they aren't aware of OS beta programs is if they are not a registered Apple developer and that would be surprising. Even an average user like myself was aware of it for several months.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Does iTunes 12 require Yosemite? Will it also run under Mountain Lion?

The App Store app wants me to upgrade iTunes to 12.0.1 on my work machine (which is currently running Mountain Lion), so that's more or less the answer to one of your questions. I haven't done the upgrade yet, but I will later today. I can post then and provide a definitive answer.

I don't know if versions of iTunes earlier than 12 run under Yosemite. Wouldn't be surprised if Yosemite doesn't want to run anything earlier.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

The App Store app wants me to upgrade iTunes to 12.0.1 on my work machine (which is currently running Mountain Lion), so that's more or less the answer to one of your questions. I haven't done the upgrade yet, but I will later today. I can post then and provide a definitive answer.

I don't know if versions of iTunes earlier than 12 run under Yosemite. Wouldn't be surprised if Yosemite doesn't want to run anything earlier.

--David

I seem to recall 11.x versions running on Yosemite developer previews and betas, though I don't know if that means anything for the release.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

hOW many processes are running with Y ?

following the Thread: OSX Optimisation from scratch (thank you Paul J !)

I'm down to 64 MAVERICKS processes, some 46. When I went from say 77 to 74, notably killing 2 usb related processes I was very happy. Then I killed 10 more. is it my mood my physiology today, the general power supply ? I did not have the greatest listening session thereafter. So, is cutting ubiquitously positive ? Provided I did not kill processes that would trigger backlash, that there's no increase in cpu usage that would show something is wrong, it should be. Maybe I'm just anxious. Or stunned by what I heard. I did not enjoy greatly but sure discovered many things in the high register, including while listening to dsotm ! I most probably have an objectively more transparent system but was not so happy at the time I first listened to it.

I don't think I will reload the processes but rather accept what I hear, maybe not as sweet, maybe paradoxically frustrating for getting closer to live music and reminding me that, while it helps me getting more 3D, I had a terrific room a few years ago and that it was less bizarre to have such spatial extension

are you listening to AP's dsd CCR or the 24/192 ?

The sound is sweet..) Just now listen to CCR Green River, its rugged and direct, right to the bones.

USB S/PDIF converter not seen in Yosemite.

Help guys. For some reason I can not see my Stello U3 xmos converter in Yosemite.

All plugged in, power light on but it doesnt show up anywhere including system information on the USB bus. Seems its just not recognised. No drivers were previously required and it worked flawlessly in Mavericks.

Any clues please.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

USB S/PDIF converter not seen in Yosemite.

Help guys. For some reason I can not see my Stello U3 xmos converter in Yosemite.

All plugged in, power light on but it doesnt show up anywhere including system information on the USB bus. Seems its just not recognised. No drivers were previously required and it worked flawlessly in Mavericks.

Any clues please.

You don't specify which Mini you have but I had issues with my 2012 Mini not connecting to the XMOS USB board in my DAC. This was with Mavericks. The problem was due to the Mini having USB 3.0 ports (vs. USB 2.0). Yes, I know the USB 3.0 ports are supposed to be backward compatible but that was not the case in my situation.

To solve the issue, I installed a USB 2.0 hub (cheap $20 unit) that worked ever time. I have since moved on to the Schiit Wyrd hub. No idea if this is the same issue you are experiencing but if you have a USB hub available, you might give it a go.

You don't specify which Mini you have but I had issues with my 2012 Mini not connecting to the XMOS USB board in my DAC. This was with Mavericks. The problem was due to the Mini having USB 3.0 ports (vs. USB 2.0). Yes, I know the USB 3.0 ports are supposed to be backward compatible but that was not the case in my situation.

To solve the issue, I installed a USB 2.0 hub (cheap $20 unit) that worked ever time. I have since moved on to the Schiit Wyrd hub. No idea if this is the same issue you are experiencing but if you have a USB hub available, you might give it a go.

Mini is 2010 with usb 2.0 ports. Like I said, it worked ok in Mavericks

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

USB now working. I can provide evidence to anyone that requires it that computers are not idiot proof.

What did you do? Or miss. :)

My assumption being that the converter is powered by the USB port was, that because the power led was on there was a good connection. Wrong!

Pulled the USB cable and plugged it back in and voila. I have no recollection of being anywhere near the cable or messing with anything on the rack since I last used the system so I dont see how this could happen. That mystery is likely to remain just that.

Open the terminal, then type:

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

After a reboot it should work.

Regards,

Daniel

I'll try this as soon as I'm home & with my system.

Tnx.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I had a few free minutes, so I installed iTunes 12.0.1.26 on my work Mac Pro running Mountain Lion. Seems to run fine with no obvious issues, although it's freaky to see the Yosemitesque chrome when running 10.8.5. And what's up with the red iTunes icon?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

What's wrong with changing colours? Life is change, nothing stays the same.

Wow. I did not know that. Is this anything like what Heraclitus was talking about? Now it all makes sense.

--David

not sound related but Mail in Yosemite crashes ever since I made my first deletes. Nothing I can google helps (and I'm not the only one in trouble !) ; one of you Mac geniuses here ?

Not genius at all but desperate because I had to stop working thanks to Yosemite / Mail continuos crashes, then Google said:

Remove Mail saved state

Fix Mail crashing after upgrading to Yosemite | MacIssues

Before this I always waited to version 2 upgrade on all OS X "upgrades" but I need iCloud sync with my iDevices...!

Roch

Daniel Weiss should know better, he is a Pro!

The Yosemite trial has been around for months, so there is no excuse for at least not alerting customers and communities like ours.

Sad to say but I informed Daniel in July that my DAC202 wasn't working on my early 2008 MacPro with the Yosemite Beta - system could see the DAC on the FireWire bus fine, but the DAC wasn't showing up in the sounds preferences. Daniel replied it was likely just a Yosemite Beta issue - rather annoying that they've seemingly done nothing since then and only now are looking to fix it.