IGNORED

Official OS X Yosemite Thread

Seems us Brits have fallen off the radar. What a surprise. Not available to download yet in the UK.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

Same in Virginia.

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I've been using the beta for a couple of months now on my laptop and on an iMac at work.

The GUI is a travesty. iTunes is more of a PITA than ever. I have a USB headphone dac (nuforce microdac) on that iMac and it now misbehaves. It might just be a coincidence.

I've seen no compelling reason to upgrade.

Jesus guys,I don't understand you anymore.

First of all: i work with Yosemite as a betatester and i have it on my Mac mini for a couple of months and it works without a hitch.

Second iTunes is the best looking and most complete music-database there is. The same people that are saying that itunes is a PITA are defending A+ witch is areal PITA and a program that needs a lot of work. Look at the first 36 pages on this forum.

All the things you ask from Damian are already included in iTunes for years.

I understand that we need a more open system to play DSD and flacs, and samplerate switching, There is a app for that: A+ 1.5**.

Sorry guys give it a try and don't defent a programm that is iMO beta wile you have something that works and dont looks like a windowsprogam from the Win 95 era.

I like Yosemite icw iTunes and A+ 1.5.10 and i hate A+ 2 standalone version.

Philippe

Synology DS 1513 +

Room 1: Mac Mini (Yosemite) --- Nagra HD Dac --- Nagra Jazz --- 2x Devialet 400 --- Sonus Faber Olympica III

Office: Mac Mini --- Meridan 818 V2 --- Vincent SA 93 Plus --- 2x Vincent SP 995 --- Audio Physics Tempo 25 Plus

Car Hifi: Burmester Sound System

All very good points. But how does it sound?

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

All very good points. But how does it sound?

Thats very simple:iTunes in stand alone versio sounds OK. Like the most versions.

In combination with A+ just the same as before. That means imho with version 1.5.10 it sound very good. With version 2 a litle less good. I found that the magic that we had with 1.5.** Is gone (less open and a bit harsh). Like you can read in the treat for A+ 2.

In combination with Pure Music: just the same as before.

I think that under the hood nothing as changed. Only the managment is a lot more up to date, but that may be a matter of taste. Imho it is a new benchmark.

Philippe

Synology DS 1513 +

Room 1: Mac Mini (Yosemite) --- Nagra HD Dac --- Nagra Jazz --- 2x Devialet 400 --- Sonus Faber Olympica III

Office: Mac Mini --- Meridan 818 V2 --- Vincent SA 93 Plus --- 2x Vincent SP 995 --- Audio Physics Tempo 25 Plus

Car Hifi: Burmester Sound System

I found that the magic that we had with 1.5.** Is gone (less open and a bit harsh). Like you can read in the treat for A+ 2.

It isn't magic. In fact, he didn't change the playback part of the software. Perhaps your perception is influenced by your dislike of the new interface.

I've been using the Beta Version for months now and it's great.

Is there anything to update from the latest beta released a few days ago? I noticed it no longer says anything other than 10.10:

% sw_vers
ProductName:	Mac OS X
ProductVersion:	10.10
BuildVersion:	14A388b

I did notice iTunes changed in the last beta update. It seems to open spontaneously, and puts the "recently added" items at the top, because Tim Gates knows it irritates me. It also injects its store into every library view, just to make sure it can sell me crap, and shows me pictures of people I don't want to look at. That is completely gratuitous. (I also still use A+ 1.5.X, so that I can control it remotely).

Is there anything to update from the latest beta released a few days ago? I noticed it no longer says anything other than 10.10:

% sw_vers
ProductName:	Mac OS X
ProductVersion:	10.10
BuildVersion:	14A388b

Earlier today they released some version and it shows the same thing after that update.

OS X copy.jpg

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Release version is build #389. No idea if this is a formality or something changed from 388b.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

04:30 and I'm installing a new OS. Am I the only lunatic here. :-)

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

For a retina MBP, the fonts aren't as fuzzy as with Mavericks, so that's a plus, even on the evil Chrome, looks a lot better. Acrobat images are quite sharp, far better on the eyes, and closer to the bootcamp Windows resolution.

The black active dot on the dock makes more sense, since the white dot was difficult to see, especially in direct sunlight.

Apps such as Acrobat, Forklift (requires an update) work, the finder has tabs and customised toolbar, even a trash can, nice & about time. Maybe it was there already on Mavericks, didn't care to find it.

The trash actually looks like a waste paper basket. These things are important to me. As for audio apps, I'm not expecting miracles, native ASIO support would be a plus.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Updated this morning. So far, everything seems to be working fine. Quickly checked A+ 2.0 and Amarra 3.0 with Itunes, and both worked. And amazingly enough, the permanent skipping bug I had with Amarra in Itunes integrated mode seems to have disappeared. Hooray! (well, need to do some more listening to confirm).

The looks of the new system is not my favorite, a little bit too colorful, but I suppose you get used to it. The new look of Itunes 12, well, same thing pretty much.

@Oneandahalf: I believe the tabbed finder was already under Mavericks.

Will do some more testing when I'm back from work tonight. Curious to see how well the iOS integration works in real life, especially hand-off.

Little side comment: if you're like me trying to find the full screen button in the upper right corner: it's gone, and replaced by the green button in the "traffic light" on the upper left corner of the window.

This was one thing I never really understood why they haven't introduced this years ago.