IGNORED

Official OS X Yosemite Thread

For those concerned about such things, it appears that Security Update 2015-002 eliminates Safari's vulnerability to the "Freak" exploit.

I tested this by visiting https://freakattack.com before and after installing the update.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

TRIM Enabler for SSD — update to yesterday's post:

B.J. Buchalter, the developer of my Metric Halo DAC, provided a solution. You can enable both the audio fix and the TRIM Enabler fix as follows:

sudo nvram boot-args="dart=0x0 kext-dev-mode=1"

Hi Bob,

Thanks for this. Before I try this, I was wondering what the Terminal command to reverse this might be?

Artifex

Searching for Good Sounds in China!

sudo nvram -d boot-args

will clear both of these settings. If you have a non-Apple SSD with which you are using a trim enabler kernel extension, this could prevent you from booting from the SSD.

sudo nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1

will delete the "dart" setting suggested by Metric Halo to improve audio performance while leaving intact the setting required for third-party trim enabler kernel extensions.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up that Chord released an updated driver which addressed this problem. The problem was that Yosemite on a Mac Mini it causes more load on the processor slowing down the audio data transfer resulting in drop outs. Strangely not all Mac Minis are affected, but the new driver uses a different system which after 3 weeks of listening seems to work.

Thanks for Matthew Barrett and the folks at Chord who resolved this relatively quickly -- especially when they have a new product out.

Joe

Is anyone else having issues with Chord DACs on Yosemite? My old windows server died so I needed to upgrade. I got a Mac Mini, but the latest drivers for the Chordette Qute HD are Mavericks. When listening via USB after about 45 minutes or so I eventually encounter skips when listening via iTunes or Spotify. If I switch output to headphone jack and back again to the DAC the music plays smoothly, but after a few minutes the skips & pops return. I emailed Chord, but am getting little response. Hope they come out with Yosemite drivers soon to address the issue.

-- Mac Mini late 2014

-- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

-- 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5

-- 16 GB RAM

• 3 months later...

I'm reviving this thread only to report success with Yosemite. Prior to the latest Yosemite update my Qute EX simply did not work properly even with the updated Chord driver in play. After the June 19th update all is well, finally. Not sure why this time worked BTW. This was all a bit frustrating and a lesson learned (I rolled back to Mavericks 3 times via Time Machine) .. I won't be so quick to upgrade next time.

I'm reviving this thread only to report success with Yosemite. Prior to the latest Yosemite update my Qute EX simply did not work properly even with the updated Chord driver in play. After the June 19th update all is well, finally. Not sure why this time worked BTW. This was all a bit frustrating and a lesson learned (I rolled back to Mavericks 3 times via Time Machine) .. I won't be so quick to upgrade next time.

Oh, come on, beta test El Crapitan. (I played it safe and installed it on a separate partition.)