IGNORED

Official OS X Yosemite Thread

Same as the last OSX why would it be different?

Maybe because Apple is always "thinking different"...!

There is a lot of discussions in this forum regarding different SQ from different OS X , for example I stayed a lot of time on Mountain Lion (10.6) before.

Seems that there is a goblin in Apple reading over hear the comments about the SQ, if everyone says it sounds better, they change the system.

Roch

It works perfectly. I can now install Mytek drivers for both USB and Firewire.

Thanks for the tip.

Btw, do I have to change back to default config once Mytek got official driver for Yosemeti?

Open the terminal, then type:

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

After a reboot it should work.

Regards,

Daniel

thank you Roch but I did already tried this ; the only working solution so far is to disable IMAP accounts : not really a solution !

Not genius at all but desperate because I had to stop working thanks to Yosemite / Mail continuos crashes, then Google said:

Remove Mail saved state

Fix Mail crashing after upgrading to Yosemite | MacIssues

Before this I always waited to version 2 upgrade on all OS X "upgrades" but I need iCloud sync with my iDevices...!

Roch

Not sure if it's Yosemite or the iTunes update but my 2013 Mac Mini is not recognizing my Oppo HA-1 that's connected via optical unless the DAC is powered up before launching iTunes. This was not the case with Mavericks and the previous version of iTunes.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

Winner: Post of the day!

At least the curmudgeon-in-chief got it.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

thank you Roch but I did already tried this ; the only working solution so far is to disable IMAP accounts : not really a solution !

Yes, you are right, because I'm forced to repeat the process again and again.

Now I have the same freeze problem under TextEdit, seem to be a Yosemite general issue with virtual memory management, but I'm not sure.

Waiting now for Apple updates...

Roch

Perhaps a silly and obvious question, but why bother update the OS at all?

If you have a stable fine-tuned dedicated rig for audio, why go through the headache of potentially breaking it all?

HaHaHa!! Coming from the gentleman who bought us this beautiful mod in pursuit of audio advancement:

image.jpg

I think the pot is calling the kettle black…

:) :)

I've only had two hiccups since installing Yosemite, neither audio-related. One is a very minor thing, the other is a very big thing. First the minor thing.

If you have apps (e.g., Wuala) that require a Java runtime environment to function, they won't open under Yosemite until you update to Java 8. But not Java 8 runtime. That doesn't work at all. You need to update to Java 8 developer kit. Don't ask me why. I just do what I'm told.

The major thing: I have two-factor authentication enabled on my Gmail account. Somehow, the combination of Yosemite and Safari hacked my Gmail security settings and caused my personal MacBook Pro to be seen as "trusted," so that two-factor authentication was disabled. The fix is easy, but it took me several minutes of rooting around in Google settings before I was able to diagnose the issue.

SQ differences? none that I can hear, but I run A+ in playlist mode, so Core Audio is bypassed. When I go to the Head-Fi meet in Coronado on 11/1, I will put A+ into iTunes compatibility mode because it's easier for the noobs and rubes, and I will see if I hear any differences then.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

I'm running a Weiss AFI-1 (firewire only) and have completely lost connection to it.

Yosemite simply can't see it.

What a bummer.

Open the terminal, then type:

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

After a reboot it should work.

Regards,

Daniel

Worked like a charm !!!

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

If you have apps (e.g., Wuala) that require a Java runtime environment to function, they won't open under Yosemite until you update to Java 8. But not Java 8 runtime. That doesn't work at all. You need to update to Java 8 developer kit. Don't ask me why. I just do what I'm told.

I updated my work machine to Yosemite today, and I ran into this, since we use a Java-based vertical-market application (and it's what you might call "mission critical"). When I tried to launch the Java-based app, I got a system dialog saying that I needed to install a Java developer kit, but when I went to Java-land to get my developer kit and looked around, I decided to see if I could manage with just a Java runtime environment (JRE) instead. So I downloaded and installed JRE Version 8 Update 25 for OS X, and that seems to be working fine here. YMMV.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

At least the curmudgeon-in-chief got it.

Thanks for labelling, you're sweet.

Just wanted to clarify that that wasn't directed at you, and that I expected the c-in-c would take it in the manner intended, which was as a friendly and respectful acknowledgment. (I thought about using "twatwaffle" in there somewhere, but backed away.)

Now, back to our scheduled programming.

--David

I use a W4S DAC 2 with my Mac Mini; I'm wondering if anyone with a similar setup has upgraded to Yosemite--I remember there was a problem with the Wyred 4 Sound driver when Mavericks first came out. Eventually W4S updated the driver.

Does the Mavericks driver for the DAC-2 work with Yosemite?

I decided to bite the bullet and get an answer to my own question (with a fresh clone for my HD first, of course).

After installing Yosemite, iTunes 12, and all other updates, the DAC-2, along with iTunes and Audirvana 1.5 is working fine. Nothing to reset; all is normal.

I don't notice any audible differences, but I do like the new iTunes look. Very clean.

Possibly this info will help someone with similar gear.

I decided to bite the bullet and get an answer to my own question (with a fresh clone for my HD first, of course).

After installing Yosemite, iTunes 12, and all other updates, the DAC-2, along with iTunes and Audirvana 1.5 is working fine. Nothing to reset; all is normal.

I don't notice any audible differences, but I do like the new iTunes look. Very clean.

Possibly this info will help someone with similar gear.

I updated my office system which is a Mac Book Pro. I have done 1 upgrade and 3 reinstalls on a SSD trying to cure a problem where I can not switch boot drives. Keep getting an error "Building boot caches on boot helper failed" when ever I go into preferences and try to select and alternate boot drive. Because of this I will hold off on the mac mini as I boot between the SSD and the SD card often. Have looked for help on the web but no luck sorting this out.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Other then this issue all seems well. Maybe wgscott can shed some light on this with his expertise...

Chuck

HaHaHa!! Coming from the gentleman who bought us this beautiful mod in pursuit of audio. I think the pot is calling the kettle black…

:) :)

Allrightythen, perhaps turn down the insults-hidden-behind-a-smiley a bit.

I certainly did not call anyone anything, but only asked a valid question, completely unrelated to hardware and indeed your reply.

I updated my office system which is a Mac Book Pro. I have done 1 upgrade and 3 reinstalls on a SSD trying to cure a problem where I can not switch boot drives. Keep getting an error "Building boot caches on boot helper failed" when ever I go into preferences and try to select and alternate boot drive. Because of this I will hold off on the mac mini as I boot between the SSD and the SD card often. Have looked for help on the web but no luck sorting this out.

I installed Y on Mac Book Air and Mac Mini (ssd). After that I installed Y on sd card (in mac mini). Not a single problem re-booting between ssd and sd... Did it several times. Also, re-booting from ssd with Y to another sd card with Mavericks and back to ssd with Y.

After several days I didn't see any particular problem with using Y. And I am not anal about change of iTunes icon to red as well.

I have been asking myself the same question...

Sonically, no reason I have seen. But in terms of machines running OSX, all three that I have updated to Yosemite are snappier in performance than they were under Mavericks. I've had no issues either.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

If you have a stable fine-tuned dedicated rig for audio, why go through the headache of potentially breaking it all?

I for one run my whole life off this one tricked out MacBook Pro aided / boosted by:

- Belkin Thunderbolt™ Express Dock

- Weiss AFI-1 DDC (FW from Dock) - feeds the monitors

- Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB (Thunderbolt from Dock)

- 4TB external backups HD's (USB3 from Dock)

I will not get stuck in the past by the fear of upgrading the OS !!!

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

So that when I do a spotlight search on my computer, the data cab be sent directly to Microsoft. (Another WTF are they thinking moment).