IGNORED

Official OS X Yosemite Thread

I had been running Yosemite since the first Developers' Preview, and had had no issues. Downloaded the final release yesterday and installed over GM3, just to be sure I had the most up-to-date code.

Everything works exactly as expected *except* . . . somehow I lost the iLok license daemon, needed for AmarraSQ. :/ Don't know exactly what happened, as it had survived update after update thru all the previews and three GMs, but the final release broke it.

After Googling a bit, couldn't find anyone else with this problem, so I figured it wasn't necessarily a Yosemite glitch, but perhaps I just had an older version of the software that needed updating. So using Spotlight, I just typed "iLok" and it brought up the "iLok License Manager" (something I didn't even know I had!). I chose "check for updates" from the menu and, lo and behold, a new version was available. Assuming I just needed to reinstall, I downloaded the update and *bingo* - everything works fine again :)

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else ran across this issue now or in the future.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Discovered one major downside of Yosemite: without SSD, boot times are extremely slow. More than 1:20 before the computer becomes usable. I don't think I'll be switching off my computer often.

Anybody else having the same problem?

As another data point, my boot time has doubled.

With 10.9.5 Mavericks ~9 sec

With 10.10 Yosemite ~18 sec

Rob C

As another data point, my boot time has doubled.

With 10.9.5 Mavericks ~9 sec

With 10.10 Yosemite ~18 sec

I assume this is on SSD?

I seem to remember having read the biography of Steve Jobs, boot times was one of the things he was obsessed about, and indeed, Macs were always much faster to boot than Windows.

Given this additional data point, nobody at Apple seems to care anymore, because it's been already the same tendency from Snow Leopard to Mavericks. And it probably nobody in Cupertino bothers testing new software on non-SSD machines these days.

I suppose it's little things like this that tell us that Apple is clearly beyond it's peak. Sorry for the little rant on the side.

I had been running Yosemite since the first Developers' Preview, and had had no issues. Downloaded the final release yesterday and installed over GM3, just to be sure I had the most up-to-date code.

Everything works exactly as expected *except* . . . somehow I lost the iLok license daemon, needed for AmarraSQ. :/ Don't know exactly what happened, as it had survived update after update thru all the previews and three GMs, but the final release broke it.

After Googling a bit, couldn't find anyone else with this problem, so I figured it wasn't necessarily a Yosemite glitch, but perhaps I just had an older version of the software that needed updating. So using Spotlight, I just typed "iLok" and it brought up the "iLok License Manager" (something I didn't even know I had!). I chose "check for updates" from the menu and, lo and behold, a new version was available. Assuming I just needed to reinstall, I downloaded the update and *bingo* - everything works fine again :)

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else ran across this issue now or in the future.

I had the same issue with iLk license manager.

Is anyone else using either a Weiss DAC2 or Minerva? My firewire drivers don't work now and the OS can't see the DAC. I've uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. I've emailed Weiss and I'm waiting to hear back.

regards[br]Michael[br]Mac mini & Amarra 3 | Weiss Minerva | CEC TL-51x | Octave HP500se | ADAM Tensor Delta active speakers. [br]MacBook Pro | V-DAC | Yamamoto HA-02 | ATH-W1000[br]AppleTV | DACMagic2 | Sugden A25 | ADAM HM2

I'm also running the official release of Yosemite without a problem (little bugs only) on my MacBook Pro Retina. I was initially scared of losing compatibility with apps such as Winebottler (which allows me to run Windows programs directly on Mac) and teleport. Neither app has official support for Yosemite, but they run flawlessly. All my of my more obscure apps do too, and also Handbrake, which was reported not to run.

One bug I've noticed is that sometimes the files from a folder disappear in Finder and I need to hide the app and click on the folder again for the files reappear. That's a bad one.

I have no comments sound wise, but I doubt there would be any noticeable difference. Audirvana 2 runs smoothly.

I researched a lot before updating and can say two things: there's no evidence that a clean install (from scratch) is a better method than the regular update, but you should repair your permissions (Disk Utility) before running the installer to avoid problems when booting with the installer.

Apparently one of the changes is that kernel extensions must signed or they won't load in Yosemite. If you rely on third party drivers for DACs or other hardware it's worth checking that they have drivers (or workarounds) for Yosemite available before upgrading.

I use a W4S DAC 2 with my Mac Mini; I'm wondering if anyone with a similar setup has upgraded to Yosemite--I remember there was a problem with the Wyred 4 Sound driver when Mavericks first came out. Eventually W4S updated the driver.

Does the Mavericks driver for the DAC-2 work with Yosemite?

I had the same issue with iLk license manager.

Is anyone else using either a Weiss DAC2 or Minerva? My firewire drivers don't work now and the OS can't see the DAC. I've uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. I've emailed Weiss and I'm waiting to hear back.

My Weiss DAC2 won't work on Yosemite. The OSX sees the DAC but not vice versa.

I have seen others posting similar issues on other sites and a response from Daniel Weiss that they are working on a fix.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

Heads up those with SSD drives check your trim support mine was disabled! I got it working again thoa...

I just had to reenable Trim Enabler

regards[br]Michael[br]Mac mini & Amarra 3 | Weiss Minerva | CEC TL-51x | Octave HP500se | ADAM Tensor Delta active speakers. [br]MacBook Pro | V-DAC | Yamamoto HA-02 | ATH-W1000[br]AppleTV | DACMagic2 | Sugden A25 | ADAM HM2

I have issues with the Dragonfly 1.2 on Yosemite. It was working fine before the upgrade, I now get pops or clicks in the sound. They're not random either, I can play the same song multiple times and get them in the same places during playback. I've ruled out everything else by trying my Theorem 720 as a DAC and that one works fine, so it's something specific to the Dragonfly or it's chipset.

I have issues with the Dragonfly 1.2 on Yosemite. It was working fine before the upgrade, I now get pops or clicks in the sound. They're not random either, I can play the same song multiple times and get them in the same places during playback. I've ruled out everything else by trying my Theorem 720 as a DAC and that one works fine, so it's something specific to the Dragonfly or it's chipset.

I'm listening to a Dragonfly 1.2 right now through Yosemite. I'm not experiencing any significant change to its operation as compared on 10.9.5, if that helps. Just heard a slight click but very minor. I'll replay the song...nope it's gone.

(Using Audirvana+ 1.5.12)

Rob C

Heads up those with SSD drives check your trim support mine was disabled! I got it working again thoa...

How did you get it working again?

I'm not using Trim Enabler like proftournesol but the typical Terminal commands I have used in the past no longer work. I also tried disabling kext signing (sudo nvram boot-arg="kext-dev-mode=1") before making the changes to the kernel extension that affects SSD TRIM support but just ended up not being able to boot. Had to restore from backup and reinstall Yosemite.

Rob C

I've now tried this with iTunes, JRiver and Audivrana 2.0 and all seems to work well. Audivrana loaded the fastest I'd ever seen.

In iTunes the Get Info is a big change. I am a little put off by the lower case fonts. It took me a moment to figure out how to change and embed artwork. One thing I'm a little confused about is I could have sworn yesterday when in Get Info on the Art tab that a thumbnail of the art appeared but today no art thumbnails are there though I know all my artwork is embedded.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
One thing I'm a little confused about is I could have sworn yesterday when in Get Info on the Art tab that a thumbnail of the art appeared but today no art thumbnails are there though I know all my artwork is embedded.

Get Info for a single item does display artwork.

Get Info for multiple items displays a blank space for artwork even when identical artwork is embedded in all the items.

That behaviour has existed in iTunes for years.

Get Info for a single item does display artwork.

Get Info for multiple items displays a blank space for artwork even when identical artwork is embedded in all the items.

That behaviour has existed in iTunes for years.

That is correct. What was I thinking? I should have finished my 2nd cup of coffee before posting

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Without waiting for Devialet to adjust its AIR, I upgraded today.

The only two players so far without major issues are A+2 and Decibel. HQ skips in the midst of songs, Amarra -even with iTunes integration - only plays one song at a time.

I have been a Mac user for the last 25+ years for one reason only: it works with outstanding quality. For music I do now find the same to be true for two players on my system: A+ and Decibel.

Dieter

Without waiting for Devialet to adjust its AIR, I upgraded today.

The only two players so far without major issues are A+2 and Decibel. HQ skips in the midst of songs, Amarra -even with iTunes integration - only plays one song at a time.

I have been a Mac user for the last 25+ years for one reason only: it works with outstanding quality. For music I do now find the same to be true for two players on my system: A+ and Decibel.

Dieter

My HQ is working just great. Even more detailed than ever before. I have an SSD.

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

Mmmm, everything seems to play OK on my Mac Mini with the new OS, not sure on sound yet.

But now my Apple remote control will not work and there is no option at all under 'Security & Privacy / General / Advanced' for any infra-red stuff, but these are available on my iMac?

Anyone any ideas?