IGNORED

Group Buy for full ATX Linear PSU from Teradak

Ben-M

Hi All,

I just received another update from Teradak. They further refined the modification with an additional capacitor added to each voltage rail. According to Teradak the ripple performance is now at several mV level when connected to an AMD motherboard drawing >2A per rail:

3.3V=1.296mV(RMS)

5V=2.350mV(RMS)

12V=2.998mV(RMS)

These photos are from Teradak.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16786[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16788[/ATTACH]

Teradak also informed me that only the first 4 units (1 for fmak, 2 for Ben, and mine) were shipped with the non-mod circuit. All the others have been updated with both the LED mode and the capacitor mod.

That's more like it !

Kudos to _JL_ for drawing this to their attention. You have all benefitted by receiving a vastly lower noise PSU.

KInd Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

That's more like it !

Kudos to _JL_ for drawing this to their attention. You have all benefitted by receiving a vastly lower noise PSU.

KInd Regards

Alex

+1

We all owe you one _JL_ !

Great that there are such knowledgeable folks here...

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

+1

We all owe you one _JL_ !

Great that there are such knowledgeable folks here...

I suspect that the marked improvement obtained was due to that additional capacitor further improving the supply to the reference Green LED.

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Thanks guys for the kind words. Ben is THE one pulling this off and doing all the coordination with Teradak in the background.

I am happy that Teradak follow-through and improved the PSU further. Can't wait to add the cap mod to my unit.

Thanks guys for the kind words. Ben is THE one pulling this off and doing all the coordination with Teradak in the background.

I am happy that Teradak follow-through and improved the PSU further. Can't wait to add the cap mod to my unit.

They didn't improve the PSU further. They brought it more into line with their original specs, as posted in post 60 on page 3. How many would have even ordered them if the specs were as per _JL_'s initial measurements ?

The units before being modified did not meet their specifications by a country mile, and were faulty.

If _JL_ hadn't measured his, you guys would have had very sub standard PSUs, and they could have ended up with some very disgruntled customers and quite a few units being returned.

their original specs, as posted in post 60 on page 3.

The previous data were measured according to Intel ATX design guide.

< ATX12V Power Supply Design Guide v2.2 Revision 2.2>

You can download it from < http://www.formfactors.org/search.asp?q1=atx12V&submit.x=-731&submit.y=-36 > Or page 16 of the pdf <http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/52/37/523796_523796.pdf>

The previous measured data is not related to _JK_ previous measurement.

They didn't improve the PSU further. They brought it more into line with their original specs, as posted in post 60 on page 3. How many would have even ordered them if the specs were as per _JL_'s initial measurements ?

The units before being modified did not meet their specifications by a country mile, and were faulty.

If _JL_ hadn't measured his, you guys would have had very sub standard PSUs, and they could have ended up with some very disgruntled customers and quite a few units being returned.

I didn't claim it was. I would like to see new measurements under the same conditions from _JL_ after he has installed the new capacitor.

I gather that you are associated with the manufacturer ?

Please stop repeating misleading information. The measurements _JL_ did were not done according to ATX specs (with a resistive load - see this paper, page 22), but with a MoBo connected. That is totally different ball game.

It is hard to say if their PSU meet the original specs or not, simply because such a measurements have never been posted. What they posted on Page 3 of this thread is a resistive load measurements, which what everyone does (as required by ATX specs).

Resistive load measurements vs measurements obtained by loading the PCU with maker A MoBo = apples to oranges. The noise you see may be dumped by the MoBo.

Nonetheless, they improved their specs under active load condition anyway. Kudos for them for doing that, an _JL_ for bringing it to their attention.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

FYI: I got my shipping number about 2 hours ago.

I assumed my unit has been fix with green LED and mod capacitor.

Capacitor is always a fix to electrical noise. Many cases have use capacitor(s) as solution in audio world, which result in better SQ. But many has try to put more transistors which ended up in "sucking out the life" of audio or simply making the sound become dull. One must be careful in putting the right amount or the right type of transistor.

Example of "overdose" use of capacitors: I believe Ben is using PCI Apexi power filter, which is a card made out of a bunch of various capacitors. In other forum, other people has try to put two PCI Apexi and they said it simply made a cleaner but dull sound compare using one card.

JL, you have a chance of trying out before and after putting mod capacitor in your PSU. Does it make a better sound or does it make a cleaner but dull sound?

Hearing with your ear is the ultimate final testing rather than a good low figure (ripple noise) on the paper

@_JL_ :

DO you know if the 5VSB line has the same mod & the same level of performance as the other rails? SInce the 5VSB rail is 2.2 amps max, I reckon that their measurements with a 2amp avarage load might not apply to that 5VSB rail?

I am asking because I am contemplating using the 5VSB to drive the PPA USB card directly (with a relais, switched by the regular 5V ATX rail going to the SATA plugs). If the 5VSB is not of similar quality, I might put a battery in between aswell... The latter is a bit more complicated build option...

Thx!

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

> DO you know if the 5VSB line has the same mod & the same level of performance as the other rails? SInce the 5VSB rail is 2.2 amps max, I reckon that their measurements with a 2amp avarage load might not apply to that 5VSB rail?

Is the 5VSB the extra output with a separate cable? I didn't test that as I have no use for it yet. From what I gathered the output is implemented differently - I may be wrong but I think it is implemented using standard IC regulator instead of power transistors, possibly because of the lower current demand. This way it doesn't need a voltage reference so the LED mod doesn't apply.

Is the 5VSB the extra output with a separate cable?

Yep !

From what I gathered the output is implemented differently - I may be wrong but I think it is implemented using standard IC regulator instead of power transistors, possibly because of the lower current demand. This way it doesn't need a voltage reference so the LED mod doesn't apply.

Right. Is there a way to find out / to measure the quality of that rail? Or can you ask Teradak?

It seems silly spending money on full linear ATX and then feed the USB card (most critical for SQ) dirty power.....

Thx for your time!

Hans

Right. Is there a way to find out / to measure the quality of that rail? Or can you ask Teradak?

It seems silly spending money on full linear ATX and then feed the USB card (most critical for SQ) dirty power.....

Thx for your time!

Hans

+1 I also have great plans for this line (+5vsb).

Good news.

Got mine today (have to drive to Fedex center to pick it up) but the bad news is ..Teradak just send only 1 unit to me (I ordered 2 units).

I received my units the same way. I got one tracking number for the courier, the unit arrived, and then 5 days later I got a new tracking number and the next unit arrived. This is normal.

The 2 units were too big to ship in one box securely, so they shipped separately. All of our units have the same chassis and same packaging, so this part would have been standardized for ATX 210, 270, and 350.

I don't know when your next tracking number/PSU will be sent, but if you don't hear anything within a week just let me know and I'll contact them to see what's up. This goes for everyone else here too.

Thanks _JL_ !!!

Lucky for us that Teradak send your unit first.

I said the same thing when the units started to roll out. We all owe a great thanks to _JL_ and to the stars that he was in the first little group that got their units. Though I also received mine, I had no way of testing them :-( Even now I still have no way, but I'll be sending my units back to Teradak after Chinese New Year for them to apply the LED and Capacitor upgrades.

their original specs, as posted in post 60 on page 3.

The previous data were measured according to Intel ATX design guide.

< ATX12V Power Supply Design Guide v2.2 Revision 2.2>

You can download it from < http://www.formfactors.org/search.asp?q1=atx12V&submit.x=-731&submit.y=-36 > Or page 16 of the pdf <http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/52/37/523796_523796.pdf>

I didn't claim it was. I would like to see new measurements under the same conditions from _JL_ after he has installed the new capacitor.

I gather that you are associated with the manufacturer ?

Please stop repeating misleading information. The measurements _JL_ did were not done according to ATX specs (with a resistive load - see this paper, page 22), but with a MoBo connected. That is totally different ball game.

It is hard to say if their PSU meet the original specs or not, simply because such a measurements have never been posted. What they posted on Page 3 of this thread is a resistive load measurements, which what everyone does (as required by ATX specs).

Resistive load measurements vs measurements obtained by loading the PCU with maker A MoBo = apples to oranges. The noise you see may be dumped by the MoBo.

Nonetheless, they improved their specs under active load condition anyway. Kudos for them for doing that, an _JL_ for bringing it to their attention.

@sandyk

Though I appreciate a lot of your posts, I do find you're quite opinionated. This is a dangerous path to go down when all the information is either not available or hasn't been consolidated. I haven't seen any of your posts in this thread yet so I'm not sure how familiar you are with the information...

Just as _TDK_ posted and Elberoth chimed in on, _JL_'s measurements, though more useful, were not done the same way as Intel mandates or as Teradak did. The two are not inline because they are not the same. And when _JL_ brought this issue to me and then we discussed it with Teradak, they were extremely responsive and took great care to tackle this issue. Then, even once the problem was identified, which turned out to be an underperforming batch or voltage references and not a faulty design, they even continued to modify the PSU further. The last modifications were solely for our benefit and I am over the moon happy with Teradak for their continued efforts.

WoW !!!

I just connect the Teradak PSU to my audioPC (jplay dual setup).

It definitely better than LPSU (12v rail) + pico PSU.

That's great news, Rurika! I'm really excited to put mine into service once I get the parts for my audio PCs. Hopefully now that the wedding madness is dying down I'll be able to get back to work. And by work I mean playing with my audio gear :-P