IGNORED

Group Buy for full ATX Linear PSU from Teradak

Ben-M

Thank you Ben and congratulation on your wedding.

Hi Ben-M,

Thanks and congrats on your happy wedding! Enjoy the time with your families, for they are the most precious!

Congratulations Ben! All the best to both of you.

Congratulations Ben!

Thank you and Congratulations Ben!

Congratulations Ben

Ben,

Congrads on the wedding! Enjoy!

I would guess that implies an official single config spouse (No 'jplay' dual configs for you) from now on.... Or does Chinese law cut you some slack there..? :-)

I am in fact a lucky man. There is a special Chinese bylaw that states I am able to continue full steam ahead with my audio hobby as long as my wife never finds out how much I've spent, thinks that everything is just being mailed to me from my stash of audio components back home in Canada and not new ones, and that I get her a nice pair of bluetooth speakers for the bedroom. ;-)

Congratulations Ben!

to keep you informed, _I just received an email with my tracking number.

Thanks for all the good wishes, guys! It was one hell of an experience, but I am proud to say that I have survived my Chinese wedding. And through much guidance my relatives were also able to not have me banished; there are so many deep rooted traditions here that it would be pointless to even try counting...

Do you know if the 5VSB line has the same mod & the same level of performance as the other rails? Since the 5VSB rail is 2.2 amps max, I reckon that their measurements with a 2amp average load might not apply to that 5VSB rail?

I didn't test that as I have no use for it yet. From what I gathered the output is implemented differently - I may be wrong but I think it is implemented using standard IC regulator instead of power transistors, possibly because of the lower current demand. This way it doesn't need a voltage reference so the LED mod doesn't apply.

Right. Is there a way to find out / to measure the quality of that rail? Or can you ask Teradak?

It seems silly spending money on full linear ATX and then feed the USB card (most critical for SQ) dirty power.....

We know about the 3 basic lines but do you know if +5vsb was also checked for ripple and if it was upgraded if the upgrade was needed?

The +5VSB is not generated the same way as the other 3 rails, thus no LED mod or CAP upgrade could be applied. The +5VSB uses an LT1084 linear regulator for it's output and these have 0.015% line regulation.

I have asked Teradak for scope readings like they provided for the cap mod, but we'll have to see what they can do depending on what +5V devices they have on hand as well as what time constraints they're facing. Chinese New Year is in about 1 week and the holiday last about 1 month, so right now Teradak really has a lot on their plates.

Could I ask you if I'm (and Mordo) the only one who haven't not yet receveid the tracking number?

Nope, i'm still waiting for mine as well

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

Is it possible to install the back-plate for the loom connection to an unmodified Streamcom FC10 or Fractal Node 605? [i’m trying to avoid having to modify a case given the time / hassle associated with getting this done locally.]

Could I ask you if I'm (and Mordo) the only one who haven't not yet receveid the tracking number?

Though they're shipping, it'll take another week or so for all the units to ship out and for everyone to get tracking numbers. If you haven't received a tracking number yet, there's nothing to worry about.

Is it possible to install the back-plate for the loom connection to an unmodified Streamcom FC10 or Fractal Node 605? [i’m trying to avoid having to modify a case given the time / hassle associated with getting this done locally.]

The Fractal - Node 605 would be fine. As long as you got the ATX size back-plate there wouldn't be any issues in fitting it. Well, that's as long as my quick look at the Node 605 was right and that it takes a standard ATX sized PSU.

As for the Streacom - FC10, no luck. The FC10-Pro takes a standard Flex-ATX sized back-plate, but that has seemed to be a China only model that you can't buy anywhere else very easily. The normal FC10, which is the one that pretty much everyone has, doesn't have any sort of way to mount the loom without modding the case. Fine by me, though. The Aluminum isn't hard and the back-panel comes right off.

This topic was discussed earlier in the thread and if you look up "case modding" on youtube you'll find a bunch of tutorials about how to do it and do it very nicely. Good luck. I'm in the same boat ;-)

The Fractal - Node 605 would be fine. As long as you got the ATX size back-plate there wouldn't be any issues in fitting it. Well, that's as long as my quick look at the Node 605 was right and that it takes a standard ATX sized PSU.

As for the Streacom - FC10, no luck. The FC10-Pro takes a standard Flex-ATX sized back-plate, but that has seemed to be a China only model that you can't buy anywhere else very easily. The normal FC10, which is the one that pretty much everyone has, doesn't have any sort of way to mount the loom without modding the case. Fine by me, though. The Aluminum isn't hard and the back-panel comes right off.

This topic was discussed earlier in the thread and if you look up "case modding" on youtube you'll find a bunch of tutorials about how to do it and do it very nicely. Good luck. I'm in the same boat ;-)

If anyone already has modded his FC-10, please post images showing his work. I have some ideas, but without even having the PSU yet, cannot try them.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

The +5VSB is not generated the same way as the other 3 rails, thus no LED mod or CAP upgrade could be applied. The +5VSB uses an LT1084 linear regulator for it's output and these have 0.015% line regulation.

I have asked Teradak for scope readings like they provided for the cap mod, but we'll have to see what they can do depending on what +5V devices they have on hand as well as what time constraints they're facing. Chinese New Year is in about 1 week and the holiday last about 1 month, so right now Teradak really has a lot on their plates.

Thanks for an update. Would be great if they could do a test on +5vsb as well and if not them maybe _JL_ will ;)

Cheers

I just heard back and Teradak said that shipping out all PSUs before things close for Chinese New Year is all that can be done with the tight timeline. So no scope readings or whatever else.

Secondly, the main purpose of the +5VSB is cycling the power-on part of the computer, not powering a device. Teradak accommodated a request, but told us several weeks ago that ATX spec PSUs were not designed to work this way. Though the LT1084 linear regulator has good performance, we are asking this part of the power supply to do something other than its main purpose. Teradak did their best and already over spec'ed the +5VSB by using the LT1084 and won't go any further.

I respect this move and it will be up to us buyers to find out about this from here. I trust in Teradak that it will perform respectably and encourage anyone to post their findings. However, besides not powering on the computer there will be no talk of Teradak not doing their jobs on this point because as I just said, we're asking that part to do double duty, not what it was designed for.

If anyone already has modded his FC-10, please post images showing his work. I have some ideas, but without even having the PSU yet, cannot try them.

Yes, that would be great. Is there a specific back-plate for the FC-10 or does the PSU just ship with the normal ATX plate (which, presumably, will also need to be cut down to size)?

Yes, that would be great. Is there a specific back-plate for the FC-10 or does the PSU just ship with the normal ATX plate (which, presumably, will also need to be cut down to size)?

Unfortunately, there isn't one. Mine is shipped with an ATX plate. I already have my Dremel on standby :)

Adam

Got both of mine today.

After a lot of modification on the backplate I finally turned it on, and it works just fine.

What computer case did you modify ? The FC-10 ?

Adam

Got both of mine today.

After a lot of modification on the backplate I finally turned it on, and it works just fine.

I won`t give any listening impressions yet, but I can say that it certainly isn`t bad, and well worth the money.

Can you show us the pictures ?

It will give us idea how to mod it.

Thanks.

Can`t give you a picture just yet.

I was so curious to try it so, well I can`t move it right now to take any pictures.

I have to disassemble my whole system to make a room for it this weekend.

During the waiting time for the PSU I have built a new computer for the task, and I decided to go for the old HFX Classic chassie.

There isn`t much to it really, just make a hole in the back of the chassie, and then cut the edges of the backplate from Teradak to fit on the back, and bolt it on.

Might not be the best looking solution, but it`s OK, and it works.

During the waiting time for the PSU I have built a new computer for the task, and I decided to go for the old HFX Classic chassie.

There isn`t much to it really, just make a hole in the back of the chassie, and then cut the edges of the backplate from Teradak to fit on the back, and bolt it on.

Might not be the best looking solution, but it`s OK, and it works.

You could conversely leave whatever chassis mostly intact and just expand the IEC inlet, if it has one. Then mount the DIN connector right in there and skip using the back-plate all together :-) That's my plan, whenever I'm able to get around to it.

The DIN connector has like a washer type thing on it anyway, it's the same idea how it mounts to the back-plate.

Hi Ben,

I received mine today, that is ATX-350. I haven't got time to fire it up, probably this weekend. But i did check things around and found a strange thing. Two fuses that were installed in fuse box are 8A and while i got another spare fuse wrapped together with back-plate which is 3A.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but ATX-350 should consume max 500 Watts according to your spec sheet and if divided by 220V (my country's electric) that should be 2.3A approximately. 8A is obviously too much, even 3A is over the line.

Even if i use 110V as an input, that would be 4.5A fuse. I don't know why they gave me two 8A and one 3A. I could buy another fuse, they are only few dollars, no worries about that. But i do want to know which is the correct fuse for this power supply? Can you confirm back to Teradak about this?

To other people, please check your fuse before using it!!!

Hi Ben! Congratulations again and my best wishes! :))

When do you estimate tier 2 will be ready?? I think this is going to take long...

Best regards,

JM

Thanks again, Juan.

Communication and Chinese New Year Update:

Tier 2 people.

I just heard back from Teradak and they're going to discuss everything about how they plan to approach Tier 2, shipping costs, timelines, and whatever else after they return from Chinese New Year vacation around March 20th.

Tier 1 people.

No worries, Teradak said they'd ship out all Tier 1 PSUs before Chinese New Year vacation starts on February 18th.

Everyone,

Teradak WILL NOT be reachable from Feb. 18th to March 20th. I mean like ZERO. Their office is closing, all their staff are going back to their respective home provinces; it'll be a ghost town. Imagine the places they're going to, like the Mongolian and Tibetan Alps... I'm not kidding, there will be a complete communication hiatus until March 20th. This, however, is par for the course in China and totally normal. They only get one real good holiday a year, and this is it. Come March 20th they'll be right back in action and continue on for another year in their multi-year company history.

Don't forget, there has never been an audio emergency ;-)

If you do really need Teradak:

If you do have something to discuss with them in that time frame, just write it down and PM on March 20th. Don't PM me right away because it's a month away and I WILL misplace and forget about it. You could also try posting something in the thread if you think someone can assist you with advice, but don't ask for something you need an answer from Teradak on until March 20th.

Speaking of community advice, everyone here really is top notch and I have learned a TON of SH**T along the way. If you've got a conundrum, there's a near 100% chance someone's got an answer for you, as long as you're not looking for it to come from Teradak until March 20th :-P