IGNORED

Group Buy for full ATX Linear PSU from Teradak

Ben-M

Thanks everyone. The problem was with the mains. Now that I'm using a different plug in socket, Teradak power button is now turned on.

However, there is a different issue now. After I turned on the PSU button and hit the power button on my server chassis, green leds inside the teradak PSU gets on. However, one of the green LED is toggling between on and off every few second and there's a mechanical hum (?) coming from the PSU when that particular green LED is turning on every few second. Motherboard is not powering on.

What does this mean? I didn't connect one of the rails correctly or the flushing green light means, something wrong with that corresponding rail?

@Adam,

THE big 64m$ question: how does it sound on your pipeline compared to your previous capsv3 on the teddy? :-) (I know, apples & oranges, but want to know anyway)..

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

However, one of the green LED is toggling between on and off every few second and there's a mechanical hum (?) coming from the PSU when that particular green LED is turning on every few second. Motherboard is not powering on.

This is normal. There is a separate thread to problems related with powering up the CAPS Pipeline:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/c-p-s-v4-pipeline-build-help-needed-22947/

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

@Adam,

THE big 64m$ question: how does it sound on your pipeline compared to your previous capsv3 on the teddy? :-) (I know, apples & oranges, but want to know anyway)..

It already sounded better with Jcat battery SSD and a regular ATX switcher. I hepe the Teradak ATX PSU will push it to the new hights, but didn'[t have the time to try it yet.

Adam

Mine has arrived and it's up and running. I need to flag that it had no sticker over the rear screw however, and the paint is missing in that area. It looks as though someone has opened it up (presumably to retrofit the LEDs) and then not put the sticker back on afterwards. I'm not hugely bothered as it's at the back, but I want to mention it now for warranty purposes. It was still cold from being delivered in the pictures, hence the slight sheen of condensation on the top.

My unit also makes a faint clacking sound if I physically move it about, as though something is bumping inside. It works perfectly and is dead silent in use, so that's just for reference. None of my LEDs are flashing (that I can see).

DSCF0221small.jpg

I chickened out of hooking it up to my i7 920 and built a small dual core Celeron SoC instead, which only uses 10W. My 210W PSU now feels a bit overpowered! This is the internal build, using a Silverstone case that had a full size ATX opening at the back. It sure is colourful. :-)

DSCF0222small.jpg

The SSD is powered by the additional 5v output (running through a spare PCI slot) and everything else runs from the main loom.

No sound tests yet as I need to complete the software installation, do Windows updates and all that stuff, then let it burn in for a while. The Silverstone is no Streacom in the looks department, but it was dirt cheap and really easy to build.

DSCF0223small.JPG

DSCF0219small.jpg

Mine has arrived and it's up and running. I need to flag that it had no sticker over the rear screw however, and the paint is missing in that area. It looks as though someone has opened it up (presumably to retrofit the LEDs) and then not put the sticker back on afterwards. I'm not hugely bothered as it's at the back, but I want to mention it now for warranty purposes. It was still cold from being delivered in the pictures, hence the slight sheen of condensation on the top.

My unit also makes a faint clacking sound if I physically move it about, as though something is bumping inside. It works perfectly and is dead silent in use, so that's just for reference. None of my LEDs are flashing (that I can see).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17107[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]17108[/ATTACH]

I chickened out of hooking it up to my i7 920 and built a small dual core Celeron SoC instead, which only uses 10W. My 210W PSU now feels a bit overpowered! This is the internal build, using a Silverstone case that had a full size ATX opening at the back. It sure is colourful. :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17109[/ATTACH]

The SSD is powered by the additional 5v output (running through a spare PCI slot) and everything else runs from the main loom.

No sound tests yet as I need to complete the software installation, do Windows updates and all that stuff, then let it burn in for a while. The Silverstone is no Streacom in the looks department, but it was dirt cheap and really easy to build.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17110[/ATTACH]

I'd prep an email to Teradak, quote your Buyer ID#, and attach the same photos. This is definitely something that needs to be logged on their end in case you have any future warranty issues. Send it after the 15th of March.

Hi,

Can someone post robust SQ review of Teradak ? Now it looks like everyone concerned only about build quality, but not the sound.

Thanks

Kuni

Hey Kuni, I think the issue is that people have only just gotten their hands on these, so it's too premature for a critical(robust) review. I think if you give it a few more weeks or a month that'll start to be adequate "in system" time for reviews to start popping up. And haha, that's also given that people aren't upgrading other components at the same time as the PSU.

I'm also excited to find out, I just think we need more time. Units are still rolling out too.

Everybody, don't forget to sound in when you get your units. I've got to get everyone down. Shahed, has Luan gotten his?

Thanks Adam. I posted my issue in the dedicated thread. Can you please reply there? Btw, led light is flushing and making clicking sound in the terdak psu. My mobo shouldn't require a fan connected.

I'm sorry Shahed. I was reffereing to the greel LED on the MoBo. My understanding was that you are using the CAPS v4 Pipeline Supermicro MoBo. LEDs in my Teradak PSU do not blink.

I would troubleshoot your new build with a regular ATX PSU first and see if it works.

Adam

Adam

I plan to use the same case i.e. ML03 and also considering to use Asus H97M-E + I3-4160.

I dont intend to use the CPU fan but just the heat sink and wonder if the temperature will be manageable (not more than 60 C)

control PC : NUC 5ppyh, LPS

Audio PC : 2 x PPA V3 USB audio PC, HDPLEX LPS

USB SPDIF : Singxer F1

DAC : MSB Analog (dedicated power supply) with Quad rate USB

Power amp : AudioGD C1

Speaker : Dynaudio C1

Subwoofer : REL Stratus II

I received my ATX over a week ago. I've hooked it up to my CAPS Zuma. The unit is built nicely. One gripe is that when I removed the top of the unit, one of the screws was just loose. The unit arrived with one of the screw threads stripped (...not on the screw but the whole drilled for the screw in the right side of the unit is smooth...no threads). I don't know if it's possible for Teradak to send a new side with all of the screw holes properly drilled? If not, I can live with it as is.

The other thing that is odd to me is that the unit hums loudly when I turn on the CAPS Zuma. After about 10 seconds the hum gets much quieter, but still remains at a low volume. Maybe that's normal with ATX power sources?

Beyond those issues, I'm very pleased with what I am hearing initially. I believe it really lowers the noise floor. A much cleaner sound overall.

I'd prep an email to Teradak, quote your Buyer ID#, and attach the same photos. This is definitely something that needs to be logged on their end in case you have any future warranty issues. Send it after the 15th of March.

Thanks Ben, I've added a note to my diary. Can you please PM me the best email address to use as I've seen several floating around.

My system has now been running for about 22 hours, initially doing the software installation and updates and then overnight playing video in VLC and audio in Foobar. The little Celeron is running at about 45% load but the Teradak has barely got lukewarm, so I have no worries on that front. It's been dead silent too, despite not running on any mains filters or DC blockers, so I'm rather impressed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17109[/ATTACH]

Mr Sprout,

In relation to your unit making "a faint clacking sound if I physically move it about, as though something is bumping inside."

I think you will find the "faint clacking sound" you are hearing when "move it about" is the spare fuse in the IEC power inlet. If you slide out the fuse holder on the IEC inlet you will see there are 2 fuses in the holder. One that is being used and a spare in the little plastic tray. If you take the spare fuse out of the tray and slide the fuse holder back in you should find the "faint clacking sound" has gone. Anyway that is what I found on my 275W Teradak PS. Once I found the cause of the noise I actually put the spare fuse back in the holder so I can find it if I ever need it in the future.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mark

Hi,

Can someone post robust SQ review of Teradak ? Now it looks like everyone concerned only about build quality, but not the sound.

Thanks

Kuni

I come from a picopsu + peaktech 6080 that power only the motherboard of my cpu, while the original smps of my pc power the cpu.

Teradak has a more correct timbre than picopsu, with more heat in the voices for example. I think also that has a larger soundstage, while attacks and transients are on the same level for me. So I think that teradak lpsu is a big step beyond a classic smps and a more little step beyond a picopsu with linear supply.

I plan to use the same case i.e. ML03 and also considering to use Asus H97M-E + I3-4160.

I dont intend to use the CPU fan but just the heat sink and wonder if the temperature will be manageable (not more than 60 C)

That's a 54w cpu by the looks of it, so I suspect you'll struggle to find a heatsink small enough to fit in the Silverstone that can dissipate that safely. I'm not sure the stock heatsink would be up to it without the fan. My 10w Celeron is running at 52 C on both cores and although its heatsink is small, I'm not sure its that much smaller than the i3 stock cooler. I guess the question is how much power does the i3 draw when playing music and will you ever push it harder than that?

Hi Ben,

Mine also does not have any sticker. I thought that was normal until i read this post.

By the way, my screw is very tight at the bottom, so i do not need to open my case.

That's a 54w cpu by the looks of it, so I suspect you'll struggle to find a heatsink small enough to fit in the Silverstone that can dissipate that safely. I'm not sure the stock heatsink would be up to it without the fan. My 10w Celeron is running at 52 C on both cores and although its heatsink is small, I'm not sure its that much smaller than the i3 stock cooler. I guess the question is how much power does the i3 draw when playing music and will you ever push it harder than that?

+1

ML06 case is constrained in hight. If you want to go haswell / i3 (instead of SOC such as Bay Trail Mini-itx, in which case I would choose the ML03, nicer) you might want to consider as case with more hight and/or vertical mobo placement, allowing bigger cooler and proper airflow(without fan). Also, you might want to consider a 35w version of that i3 CPU. Also, unless you have HT plans with your build, your mobo has lots of features (components, power regulation) going unused... You might want to spend elsewhere.

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Just recieved a Whatsapp form internal affairs (the other half) that a rather heavy package was delivered.. from HongKong..

(I'm at work...).

Anyway, I haven't started ordering my CAS parts yet. I only bought an FC5 EVO case (black) so far.....