IGNORED

Group Buy for full ATX Linear PSU from Teradak

Ben-M

I just received a shipping notification from PayPal. It's expected to deliver tomorrow evening.

It arrives in sturdy double box. I just unpacked it.

Hi Ben-M: I think they sent me the wrong back-plate. I need the small ATX one but they sent me one with dimension 12.5x6.3cm which is too large for my FC10-Pro.

I also couldn't find the extra 5V cable. Could you check with them? Many thanks!

I'll post some pics in a moment.

It arrives in sturdy double box. I just unpacked it.

Hi Ben-M: I think they sent me the wrong back-plate. I need the small ATX one but they sent me one with dimension 12.5x6.3cm which is too large for my FC10-Pro.

I've emailed them about the backplate, so I'll wait for their reply.

I also couldn't find the extra 5V cable. Could you check with them? Many thanks!

I'll post some pics in a moment.

And I can see from your pictures that the 2x SATA + 1x Molex is there; it's the silver wired one that doesn't have any sleeving. As for the +5VSB umbilical that you'd need to connect that to, I don't see that one anywhere. I'll contact them and let them know.

Inspection shows good finish and good cables. However, I cannot try it until end of month.

After _JL_ finding his unit has the wrong size back-plate and is missing the +5VSB umbilical, can you have another look at yours to make sure it's all fine?

Some pics for the newly received ATX-350.

As for your actual unit, damn! It looks nice. The power switch on the front doesn't look bad at all and the new black, flat-top screws looks better than the silver dome-top ones from before.

What about the cables, are you going to unwrap them? Besides your issue with the back-plate and missing umbilical, when do you think you'd be able to hook this up for a trial run? I'm really looking forward to getting mine :-D

Hi Ben-M,

> I've emailed them about the backplate, so I'll wait for their reply.

Thanks a lot for the quick follow-up.

> And I can see from your pictures that the 2x SATA + 1x Molex is there; it's the silver wired one that doesn't have any sleeving. As for the +5VSB umbilical that you'd need to connect that to, I don't see that one anywhere. I'll contact them and let them know.

Yes, I was referring to the +5VSB umbilical. Not sure how to call it.

> As for your actual unit, damn! It looks nice. The power switch on the front doesn't look bad at all and the new black, flat-top screws looks better than the silver dome-top ones from before.

Agree. The sand-blasted chassis is much nicer to look at and touch than the standard chassis. I'm more than happy with the chassis. And the thing is heavy - like a power amp.

> What about the cables, are you going to unwrap them? Besides your issue with the back-plate and missing umbilical, when do you think you'd be able to hook this up for a trial run? I'm really looking forward to getting mine :-D

I probably need a few days to rearrange the rack before I can test drive it. I'm sure yours will arrive very soon.

Thanks again for making this happen!

Hi Ben-M,

> I've emailed them about the backplate, so I'll wait for their reply.

Thanks a lot for the quick follow-up.

I probably need a few days to rearrange the rack before I can test drive it. I'm sure yours will arrive very soon.

Thanks again for making this happen!

Teradak says the issue happened because we had originally designated the SFX(125mm x 63.5mm) as the small back-plate, but later changed to Flex ATX(81.5mm x 40.5mm) as the small one. So just a mistake on previous and current terminology. And as for the missing +5VSB umbilical, we'll sort the two out at the same. I'm still waiting on timelines, but we'll be OK.

And yeah, I hope my 2 units show up soon. I'm really anxious to see what this sand blasted black finish looks like as I've never seen another model from them like it. Just going from the pictures, the casework all looks nice and faceplate looks tough. After you saying it feels as heavy as a power amp it makes me even more excited to get mine.

And even though you've got to wait a little to get yours in for a test drive, I envy you. My PCs are lacking basically all the internals, so I've got no way of connecting this at all for a bit. I'm dying to find out though, so I'm trying to find somebody at work who's got a Haswell based desktop that they'll lend me for a night.

And hey, if this Group Buy will help put more linear ATX spec PSUs in peoples' hands, that's all I can hope for. I want more than 2-3 companies making these and more than a small handful of experimentalists trying them. Computer based play back is the way to go, but I'm positive we need some well designed PSUs to get us there!

Update - +5VSB additional cable

After just discussing things with Teradak they have told me that the +5VSB umbilical that terminates in 4-pin Molex and connects to either

Option A: 3x SATA or

Option B: 2x SATA + 1x Molex

will now be supplied with either

Option A: 2x SATA or

Option B: 1x SATA + 1x Molex

So if you originally picked Option A - 3x SATA, you'll now be getting 2x SATA, and the original Option B - 2x SATA = 1X MOLEX will now be 1x SATA + 1X Molex.

This is because their engineers could not install 3 conductors of adequate size for the necessary current into the small Molex pins. They tried installing smaller conductors, but became worried about the current handling, and thus opted for 1 less set of connectors and larger gauge wire.

Besides the SATA connectors off the +5VSB connector cable, there are 3x SATA inside every PSU coming off the regular loom.

Ben,

Still slightly confused what defines umbilical VS loom, inside and outside..

Is my understanding correct, that getting the 5VSB inside the computer will imply an additional 'hole' in the computer case and that I need to put a cable with a molex + sata plug on it through that hole?

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

Ben,

Still slightly confused what defines umbilical VS loom, inside and outside..

Is my understanding correct, that getting the 5VSB inside the computer will imply an additional 'hole' in the computer case and that I need to put a cable with a molex + sata plug on it through that hole?

Teradak Supply.jpg

Yes, Umbilical means outside and connecting 2 separate pieces together; from ATX-Supply to PC. Loom is something inside, with many wires coming off it; from inlet to all internal components(mobo, SSDs, PCIe USB cards, NICs, etc.)

To put the additional +5VSB inside the chassis you will have to either make another hole or route it through an open PCIe slot. For me, I'll just route it through an open PCIe slot.

Conversely, you could leave the +5VSB & extra cable (1x SATA + 1x MOLEX, for your order) outside the chassis and connect it to whatever device.

It depends on what you're planning to power with the +5VSB and whether that's in or out of the chassis. If it's in, you've gotta get the+5VSB & its extra cable in there; if it's out then you've got to leave the +5VSB & its extra cable outside.

I've not heard anything back from Teradak regarding my unit. I'm guessing only few people received their unit so far.

Only the 2 that have said they've gotten there's, as far as I know. Though I do know they've contacted a few others as they were looking for phone numbers to give to couriers, I don't know if those units have shipped yet.

These aren't flying out the door, so to speak. I have faith that they're doing their best and since _JL_ got his shipping announcement via PayPal, like Teradak told me would happen, I'm sure the rest of you will get notified via this method when yours is ready to go.

Why instead of chasing people who did not give their phone numbers not to send to those for who they already had the number for?
Customization. As you know, each unit wasn't exactly the same. So if they built "his" it really was "his", unless it matched happened to match someone else. I think the 7 or 8 hours to get his phone number was a reasonable wait time. If it had been days, that would be different, but it wasn't.

I had the email from Teradak asking about my phone number a little while ago, but I've not had any info about delivery (or I've not found it). I've logged into my PayPal account but I can't see any tracking data either. I'm not very familiar with PayPal though, so where would I normally find it?

Update:

Teradak has shipped roughly 5 units from our Group Buy and 30 others sit fully assembled in their factory awaiting shipment. As of Friday last week shipments have been suspended as one of our Buyers reported a potential technical issue with his PSU. Teradak is working together with the buyer now to find the cause and solution for the problem, and I am in constant communication with both of them.

There isn't any clear information right now indicating what the cause of the problem is and whether any other unit is affected by it. Teradak has said that 100% of products exiting their factory are tested and 100% are run in for 24-48hours to confirm operation and stability. To date they have not experienced the buyer's problem with any of the ~30 PSUs and they have never received a report of such a problem from any of the other ATX Supply purchases.

Teradak said they expect to have the problem solved within the next 7 days and resume shipment. That is of course pending they do not find any systemic technical issue with their PSUs. If that does turn out to be the case they will need time to correct and retrofit the completed supplies with whatever the solution is. I will keep you all updated as we find the cause of the problem and the solution.

As for PayPal,

the shipping update will come via email. When Teradak updates the transaction information with the tracking number(s) the system will automatically send out an email notification to the buyer.

The email will look just like this one:

Group Buy - Shipping status update.jpg

Hope that I will get that email very soon.

The wait is so hard :)

I'm telling you, I REAALLLLLLLLY hope so too!

I was totally pumped to hear things were moving along and most shipments would be gone out this week, until the issue happened on Friday. But it's best that these issues, if it's actually with the unit, come up BEFORE we receive them. Teradak has been very good with communication so I'm sure it'll be well taken care of.

Ben and what is the issue? What is the problem with one of the sent units?

Since Teradak is still looking into it and seeing what exactly the problem is, I don't want to say anything too early and be wrong or cause a misunderstanding because I myself don't know enough about it. Haha.

Teradak has a proposed fix for it now and they're sending the components to the buyer. We'll see how the install goes and if it fixes the issue. If so then it will be applied to all 30 PSUs that are now assembled. If not then it's back to the drawing board and I bet that buyer's unit will be making a trip back to the factory for analysis and fixing.