IGNORED

Group Buy for full ATX Linear PSU from Teradak

Ben-M

Could I still order one of these? I think I will use it with a Caps V3 or V4 zuma. Could this be used to power a Exasound DAC at the same time as the Zuma?

Phil

Hey guys, this is what we’re looking at.

I’ve started a Group Buy for a group of Linear ATX PSUs from Teradak. Teradak provides aftermarket linear power supplies for many different products and has a history of working with audiophiles to make custom units for their various components.

Below in the pricing you will see the 3 different units; the ATX 210, ATX 275, and ATX 350. All three versions share most internal parts besides the transformers. Teradak has confirmed that all three sound the same and produce similar ripple. Sorry, I don’t have the numbers on hand. The only thing that will define your choice is how much power you need today for simple music playback, or DSP, Room Correction, and Conversion, or if you ever see yourself re-purposing your AudioPC into a home-theatre PC down the road and need more power for a light GPU.

Beyond these units being a Linear ATX power supply, there are 2 things that make these Linear Power Supplies even more special than the very few that are even out there:

(1.) They have all necessary, standard ATX rails & connectors: +12V, +5V, +3.3V, +5VSB, -12V

(2.) They’re not “dumb”. They have the proper start-up/power-on sequence to allow an ATX spec motherboard to turn on with the push of the power button. No hassle.

And because this is a Group Buy there are some other special goodies that you won’t be getting in any other order.

(1.) Special Internal Wiring: the addition of a +5VSB MOLEX (always on, even when the PC isn’t)

– specifically designed for a trickle-charger for a battery supply to go “off grid”

– could also be used to power a low-power SSD or PCIe USB card if you have an off switch

– includes a MOLEX-> 2 x SATA adaptor

(2.) Special Internal Wiring Choice: either (A) or (B) coming directly off the regulator

(A) 3 x SATA or

(B) 2 x SATA + 1 x MOLEX

(3.) Special Group Buy Colour: Sand-blasted(matte/powder-coated) Black Aluminum

– we can only have this if we get 10 units in the GB, if not it’s the standard brushed black

– we’re only 2 confirmed units away from this right now.

– not available on any other Teradak products; looks very handsome and matches the Streacom matte black finish very well.

With those extra bits the Teradak has given us, these Linear PSUs are basically the answer to all of my searching and DIY’ing for a proper, and not $5000 like a custom Paul Hynes, linear computer-ATX power supply for the past 2 years. And once finding them and getting some feedback, I thought to take it to a Group Buy to help more Audiophiles get access to something that might really help step up their computer source quality game.

Here is a link to Teradak’s OneDrive account with pictures of the standard ATX-210/275/350. Keep in mind our colour will be better and we have a few other wires coming off the loom.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1eb7027489224a7d&id=1EB7027489224A7D!888&Bsrc=Share&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&authkey=!Aup2AKzO-lzXYuc

Now for some #s.

Shipping Info:

Regular price for ATX Supply 210/275/350 = $XXXUSD + shipping(~$150USD) to USA.

Their Sales Rep Michael said the ATX's shipping weight is around 12kg and shipping to the USA is the most expensive, meaning that every other location will cost less than that. Right away we're already looking at a discount. And, it's a better deal if you get 2 units :-)

Current, Special Group Buy Shipping:

For 1 unit = $108 to USA(max cost)

For 2 units = $152 to USA(max cost)

Secondly, Teradak will balance our shipping costs so that everyone in the Group Buy gets the same discount, no matter where you're buying from. This doesn't mean the shipping costs will be averaged, but that everyone will get a special shipping rate(%) and pay a less than usual. Michael said once the Group Buy is finalized that I need to email him a list of our addresses and then he'll reply with what the final shipping costs will be.

Shipping cost will depend on 2 things:

#1 - Where you live (how far they have to ship it)

#2a - How many people we can get to participate in the Group Buy

2b - the more people we get to go in on this, the better the shipping rate Michael said they can give us. So, spread the word.

Group Buy Pricing:

Initially Teradak and I weren’t sure how many people we could get, so Michael established a mix and match, 3 tier pricing scheme.

We’re currently in tier 2, with 8 confirmed units. With just 4 more units we’ll move into tier 3 for the greatest discount.

There is only 1 Group Buy, but the buyers can pick whichever power supply(and connected price) they need. In the end our total number of units (ATX 210 + 275 + 350) will be added together and that will dictate which prices we pay for each kind of unit. And don’t forget about the shipping deal too, the more buyers we get the greater shipping discount we’ll all get.

Group Buy prices for Linear ATX PSUs:

ATX 210:

Regular Price - $545USD + ~$150 shipping to the USA

4-6 units - $490 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)

7-11 units - $450 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)

+12 units - $410 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)

ATX 275:

Regular Price - $635USD + ~$150 shipping to the USA

4-6 units - $580 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)

7-11 units - $520 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)

+12 units - $480 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)

ATX 350:

Regular Price - $725USD + ~$150 shipping to the USA

4-6 units - $660 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)

7-11 units - $610 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)

+12 units - $560 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14605[/ATTACH]

FAQs about our Special Group Buy units:

1. Warranty: 1 year parts and labour on unmodified and un-physically damaged units.

2. Colour: Sand-blasted(matte) Black Special Group Buy colour.

3. Internal Wiring: 1 x ATX 20+4-pin, 1 x CPU 4+4-pin, and 1x VGA 6+2-pin

4. Special Group Buy Internal Wiring: either (A) or (B) wired directly from the regulators

(A) 3 x SATA connectors

(B) 2 x SATA + 1 x MOLEX connectors

5. Special Group Buy Additional Wiring: 1 x MOLEX 4-pin from +5VSB

- always on, could be used to trickle charge a battery. Has only 2-3A current.

- Includes MOLEX-> 2 x SATA adaptor

6. Voltage: Buyer needs to specify either

(A) 100-120 @ 60Hz (North America and Japan style)

(B) 220-240 @ 50Hz (Europe and China style)

7. Special Shipping Rate: There is already a discount, which you can see, but the more units in the Group Buy the lower the final shipping cost. I’ll PM you about the final cost at the end.

Instructions for Purchasing:

1. Teradak accepts Paypal and wire transfer.

2. Only post in ONE site’s Group Buy thread. I have listed this Group Buy on multiple websites.

3. If you want in you need to post here in the thread with how many units and what version (210/275/350)

3. You also need to PM me a few specific things:

(i) Your name and address

(ii) Which version (ATX 210/275/350) you want

(iii) How many units you want

(iv) What your voltage requirement is (120v or 230v)

(v) Whether you want (A) 3 x SATA or (B) 2 x SATA + 1 x MOLEX, from the regulators

(vi) Confirm you’re aware of the additional shipping costs that I will tell you later

Group Buy Closing Date:

November 30th is the closing day. I have a very hectic work schedule from mid-October until the end of November, so during that I time I will do my best answer questions and keep the multiple threads up to date, but I won’t have the time to do the closing admin until then. When work slows down at the end of November I’ll close the Group Buy and finalize all the details with Teradak and let everyone know.

Group Buyers List: (as of Sept 22, 2014)

1. Ben-M - Confirmed - 2 units - ATX 350 - ComputerAudiophile.com

2. " "

3. Camel - Confirmed - 2 units - ATX 350 - ComputerAudiophile.com

4. " "

5. Shahed99 - Unconfirmed - 1 unit - ATX 210 - ComputerAudiophile.com

6. Lowlands - Confirmed - 1 unit - ATX 275 - ComputerAudiophile.com

7. Elberoth - Confirmed - 2 units - ATX 275 - ComputerAudiophile.com

8. " "

9. _JL_ - Confirmed - 1 unit - ATX 350 - ComputerAudiophile.com

*As I mentioned above, I will open this Group Buy on multiple Audio forums/websites. I will update the Group Buyers List on each forum and list all buyers from all websites on the same list.

Please see the previous discussion thread for more details. From page 3, post 73 onward is about the Group Buy.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/teradak-computer-linear-power-supply-17689/index3.html#post351036

Ingemar, I've replied to your pm.

Colonne, I'm still waiting on your pm with the details as per post # 1, but please also include your back-plate size and that you're aware that Tier 2's shipping charges won't be the same as Tier 1 given the known cost issues now.

And bruckduck, yes you can still order one in Tier 2. Please read through the whole thread to make sure you understand everything beforehand.

There is only a day and a bit left until closing on Tier 2.

As of 12pm EST, on November 30th, Tier 2 and all ordering will be closed tighter than a bank vault :-)

@benm

Thx for the update and good to hear that our supplies are on track.

Pls tell teradak to notify us when they ship and provide a package tracking number. I will be away 23dec-02ian and may have to arrange something with DHL or whatever shipping company that they use.

@benm

Thx for the update and good to hear that our supplies are on track.

Pls tell teradak to notify us when they ship and provide a package tracking number. I will be away 23dec-02ian and may have to arrange something with DHL or whatever shipping company that they use.

Yup, for sure i or Teradak will let you all know when your item ships and what the tracking number is

Well guys, that's it for the Group Buy. Tier 2 is closed.

I will finalize the Tier 2 list and post it in here in a couple days.

Tier 1 and Tier 2 have been open for a long time and took a lot of work. There is no point in PM'ing me to try and get in on the Group Buy for Tier 2 or emailing Teradak about it. Current buyers may PM me for changes to address or anything else along those lines, of course, but there will be no last minute additions to Tier 2. No exceptions.

Thanks a lot guys, I'll keep you updated on everything

Ben,

Could you ask Michael two things:

1.) What rails come from what transformer? Where does the -12V come from?

2.) Is the 5VSB auto current limited (does it withstand being short circuited, capping the current at 2.2amps), or will that blow a fuse? I assume the latter b.t.w. (it will blow a fuse)..

Teradak's Answers:

1.) It's hard to explain what rail comes from which transformer, because we(CA'ers) don't have a working definition of which transformer is which. It would take too long to define that and then hope that no one misunderstood it and electrocutes or blows themselves up. When we get our PSUs we can look to see, if we really need to know.

In the end, the -12v comes from the 15V secondary of one of the larger transformers, regulated to -12v.

2.) Shorting the +5VSB will blow a fuse. The fuse caps the current at 2.5A. So just as Hans said, if you use it to charge a battery then you must make sure that it has a current limiter on the board.

Waiting is hard :)

Well, unfortunately it's going to get harder :-(

I've been waiting on clear info for 2 days, but there have been issues over at Teradak with their PCB supplier and chassis supplier.

The PCBs that came in were not correctly manufactured, but this wasn't discovered immediately. Teradak has since filed a rush order with their supplier, but none the less, that part is going to take more time to get.

Then the cases haven't arrived yet either, so even the more menial work of installing the DC DIN-connector and the DC leads in the case can't be done while waiting on the new PCBs.

I'll attach some pictures of the the assembled DC leads when I get back home later tonight, but for now that's all Teradak has been able to assemble.

They're getting back to me with some clear timelines about when they expect to get each part, how long they will take to assemble, when they'll be able to start shipping at least some units, and when they expect to have all of them shipped by.

I'll let you guys know as soon as I find out, and I'mbakery for having to the bearer of bad news. Delays suck.

At least it's just a delay though, and things will still get done. That's the up side to dealing with an established company and going through PayPal.

Ben,

I would rather have things done right instead of fast. I'm in no hurry, as long as the unit I receive is well made with the right parts.. You can put me at the end of the batch if required...

Hans

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

Teradak's Answers:

1.) It's hard to explain what rail comes from which transformer, because we(CA'ers) don't have a working definition of which transformer is which. It would take too long to define that .....

Haha. Duh... Are there more than two, one if them being a large toroid and one of them being smaller, in a blue square casing?

Anyway, I understand the need to circumvent a zillion of questions likely resulting from any answer...

Very slimmed down yes/no question: Can you ask if the 5VSB and the 5V rails EACH has a it's OWN regulator, separate from the other?

Backtracking that once the unit has arrived is likely a bit of a puzzle ...

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Anyway, I understand the need to circumvent a zillion of questions likely resulting from any answer...

;-)

Very slimmed down yes/no question: Can you ask if the 5VSB and the 5V rails EACH has a it's OWN regulator, separate from the other?

Backtracking that once the unit has arrived is likely a bit of a puzzle ...

Sure thing, I'll check with them. Besides that though, I have a feeling I'm forgetting to report back on a question you asked; is that true or am I just starting to mix things up?

Tier 1 - Update:

Hey guys, so this is the update I was hoping to post about a week ago.

Teradak said parts are starting to roll in and they're assembling as well and as quickly as they can. As Hans mentioned above, it's better to get a well made component a little late than a poorly assembled one quicker. Teradak has told me that though behind schedule, they are aren't going to rush things too much as that would almost certainly create issues with the quality.

For a ballpark idea on timing, if the stars align they will begin shipping a few around the middle of next week. Overall we shouldn't expect these to leave their shop until the end of December, then they'll begin to arrive about 2 weeks after that.

And for your viewing pleasure, here are some assembly pictures:

IMG_0201.jpg

It appears there are some small iterations compared to the prototypes that we saw a few months ago; and of course, these pictures show units in the middle of production, not finished ones. Judging by the 500VA transformer, this is destined to be an ATX-350, when it's finished.

Tier 2 - small Update:

Tier 2 is still alive, no worries there, but Teradak is putting all of their efforts into completing the Tier 1 orders for now. As that completion date approaches I will post the Tier 2 buyers list and send all of your respective shipping costs and order totals. And as I mentioned before, the Tier 2 units will not begin assembly until all Tier 1 units are finished; and with the above delays, Tier 2s delivery date will be slightly pushed back. I'll let you know more about a projected arrival date when we get closer.

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

Good stuff. Seems they replaced the blue transformer with an R-core....?

The backplate shows a seperate 5v. Guess/wonder if that is the 5vsb?

Good stuff. Seems they replaced the blue transformer with an R-core....?

Yeah, I also saw the transformer type change. I like R-cores, so I'm alright with that :-)

As for the +5V on the back, I also asked about this, so I'm waiting on a reply. I asked about the power switch placement change, the +5V, and then the domed screws on the faceplate. We'll see what they have to say and I'll let you guys know.

And thanks to all of you for being patient with Teradak about this. Delays are never fun, but they do happen, so thanks for understanding and not bum-rushing my inbox with messages while we work through it.

New Update:

After speaking with Teradak they have changed the dome-headed, silver screws that you see in the most recent pictures to black, form fitting, flat-headed allen screws. Like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6i_vnGmibtHWmpVloVcRPsR6xwKv_KoBzMKf3fRDwgYn_pchY

As for the red power switch that you now see on the front, due to some internal changes and layout issues this had to happen. They also used a front-mounted metal power switch on their ATX 820W Supply that was nicer looking, but had complaints due to quality issues, so they changed to this more dependable one. They are still looking at other switches, but if they cannot find one that's as dependable and durable as this one they won't be changing anything.

Can you ask if the 5VSB and the 5V rails EACH has a it's OWN regulator, separate from the other?

I'm still waiting on a reply to these 2 questions. I'll touch base again in a few days if I don't hear back. They're busy still trying to get all their supplies deliver, and now trying to find a a capable and better looking rocker switch for the power.

Update:

Hey guys, here's some good news. Teradak has finished assembling the first few units and they'll begin shipping in the next several days. From here on units will be completed and shipped on an on-going basis until the entire Tier 1 order has been fulfilled.

Teradak will send you your tracking numbers through PayPal, so that's when you'll know your unit(s) has been shipped. I don't know what order the units will be produced, so just hold tight and wait for your confirmation to arrive. I'm waiting to find out when they believe all of Tier 1 will be finished; so when I find out I'll let you know that you should receive your unit based on that final date.

Here are the final production unit pictures. They have changed the power switch to solid black with a small red LED. They have confirmed this is just a colour change and is the same and just as reliable as their original red one. Your unit will look like this, with the appropriate transformer size and voltage.

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0244.jpg

Finally, Teradak also told me that they have further improved their regulators and this is what lead to the wrong boards being shipped to them. So the units that we'll be receiving are in fact better than what we agreed to buy. They're also more expensive than originally and the regular production units will reflect this increase in quality and cost. Lucky us :-D

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

Does the +5VSB and the +5V rail EACH have a it's OWN regulator, separate from the other?

Heard back; yes, each one has it's own regulator :-)

The separate +5V on the back is indeed the extra connection for the +5VSB that we asked for. Teradak believed it was better to have it here and not as just an extra lead off an internal wire because not everyone will be able to fit their batteries or chargers units inside their chassis. Especially if you're running larger units like car batteries.

And if you can attach internally, you can just run the cable beside the umbilical, throw a few zip-ties on, and put it through a slot in the back of your chassis.

I thought their solution was very considerate and much more thorough and costly than I was imagining. I appreciate what they've done.