One more thing to try is using a wifi bridge closer to N05 with a short cable. Cheap too.

I would rather not go the WiFi route.

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

However, it's possible that the N-05 may also support standard UPnP streaming, so would be able to be controlled by JRiver over the network in that case.

N-05 is similar to Lumin players in that it supports both OpenHome and JRiver UPnP gapless playback.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

N-05 is similar to Lumin players in that it supports both OpenHome and JRiver UPnP gapless playback.

Does this mean I can use the JRemote app on my Android tablet/phone and control the N-05?

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

I think so. Perhaps you may try it with your current USB connection and let us know.

JRemote for Android -- Now available

I have misunderstood JRemote to mean Gizmo but it is another app altogether. I was actually asking about Gizmo.

Sorry, my bad.

Jon

These will be made by ICron for PSAudio and the retail price of the ICRON is $457 & the PS Audio will be $599. The PS Audio will have "special audio elements" built into it by ICRON. ICRON also OEMs for STarTech.

They are USB extenders and they've been around for about 5 years or so.

Just be careful as this is not the same as most USB extenders which simply use Cat 5/6 cabling.

The ICRON device in question that PS Audio are utilising is the https://www.icronshop.com/icron-brand/usb-20-rg2304ge-lan which is the only one to support Isochronos (and therefore Async USB) over LAN. This was first demonstrated (afaik) in July 2013.

The big difference between the ICRON RG2304GE and most USB extenders is the ICRON can be connected via switches, rather than requiring a direct cable connection.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have misunderstood JRemote to mean Gizmo but it is another app altogether. I was actually asking about Gizmo.

Sorry, my bad.

There is no comparison between JRemote and Gizmo. JRemote, at least on an iDevice, is probably the single most compelling reason for audiophiles to use JRiver's JRMC. It is that good.

I have not tried it on Andriod however, as the really good Andriod phones cost just as much as an iPhone, and the i's have less malware to contend with.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Just be careful as this is not the same as most USB extenders which simply use Cat 5/6 cabling.

The ICRON device in question that PS Audio are utilising is the https://www.icronshop.com/icron-brand/usb-20-rg2304ge-lan which is the only one to support Isochronos (and therefore Async USB) over LAN. This was first demonstrated (afaik) in July 2013.

The big difference between the ICRON RG2304GE and most USB extenders is the ICRON can be connected via switches, rather than requiring a direct cable connection.

Yes,

Thank you, - and I appreciate you repeating, - as I've seen several people make the "mistake" of buying the incorrect device, - (not gigabit LAN). ICRON made two there, - (pretty sure that they discontinued), - the ICRON RG2304GE which was also gigabit LAN, - but NOT isochronos. They even had the same model number, - which was confusing.

Cheers,

Cool info, Eloise, thanks for sharing.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

After reading all about Chris' problems with LAN for hires in another thread, I think I shall stay with my direct usb connection for now.

Chris, hope things finally work out for you.

(http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/need-help-networking-universal-plug-dplay-digital-living-network-alliance-issue-28484/)

Rgds. Jon.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
The Resolution Audio Pont Neuf is a somewhat similar concept that was introduced around 2010. It turns USB into Ethernet for input into the Resolution Audio DAC. It certainly has limitations though.

The Pont Neuf | Resolution Audio

the Cantata does accept direct LAN input now, though.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

• 1 month later...

Dear audiophiles:

As occamsrazor pointed earlier, “Something like the Burl B2 Bomber DAC probably seems closest in the sense that you have a system wide virtual Dante soundcard, going over the network to a network input inside a DAC.”

Are there any real-world auditions of the above DAC using its Dante input? Would you agree with this opinion? Please chime in with your impressions!

I do apologize in case this has already been discussed earlier…

Dear audiophiles:

As occamsrazor pointed earlier, “Something like the Burl B2 Bomber DAC probably seems closest in the sense that you have a system wide virtual Dante soundcard, going over the network to a network input inside a DAC.”

Are there any real-world auditions of the above DAC using its Dante input? Would you agree with this opinion? Please chime in with your impressions!

I do apologize in case this has already been discussed earlier…

Other than the idea of simplicity is there any reason you would not go with a Focusrite REDnet device(RN3 or D16) allowing you to use any high quality well reviewed DAC you want?

Lots of positive feedback on those devices here in the Networking Forum and also on Head-Fi in the Computer Audio forum.

You also might want to check Gearslutz for info on the Burl as that is a Pro Audio forum. Be warned that they are a pretty close minded bunch when it comes to audiophile needs.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Thank you Paul!

I certainly realize RN3 or D16 + any high quality well reviewed DAC (Yggdrasil, e.g.) is, probably, a better alternative. I also have my reservations about Burl: just using a switching power supply without any insulating enclosure in the design screams to me “No! No!”…

BUT, bearing in mind the setup process was a challenge even for a network engineer with over 20 years of experience, I am simply getting terrified just thinking of it… Would be very helpful if some Good Samaritan could please create a simple step-by-step guide for us, technically challenged audiophiles!

Hence, the search for a simpler solution: Burl or even DAC + Dante Adapter (not sure if this is such a good idea: I have kind of idiosyncrasy using adapters…).

Hence, the search for a simpler solution: Burl or even DAC + Dante Adapter (not sure if this is such a good idea: I have kind of idiosyncrasy using adapters…).

Hi SoundSparks. That adapter IS a DAC.

One thing to remember about Burl is you will have to set sampling rate manually with its dial.

Serge

Thank you Paul!

I certainly realize RN3 or D16 + any high quality well reviewed DAC (Yggdrasil, e.g.) is, probably, a better alternative. I also have my reservations about Burl: just using a switching power supply without any insulating enclosure in the design screams to me “No! No!”…

BUT, bearing in mind the setup process was a challenge even for a network engineer with over 20 years of experience, I am simply getting terrified just thinking of it… Would be very helpful if some Good Samaritan could please create a simple step-by-step guide for us, technically challenged audiophiles!

Wow! I had not seen that device before. It is certainly a swiss army knife device containing both Dante and a DAC. As it does not seem to have a volume control I wonder if it must use Windows Audio. It looks like fun but I cannot imagine that it could approach the SQ of a RN3/D16 plus a good DAC.

At least a company is starting to think about simplified playback solutions.

System

Thank you gentlemen!

To tell you the truth, Serge_S, I am simply flabbergasted: Amphe-Dante Dante® cable dongle is in fact a DAC!

As Paul mentioned, “It looks like fun but I cannot imagine that it could approach the SQ of a RN3/D16 plus a good DAC.” Cannot agree with you more here…

Are we positive this thing IS a DAC? Frankly, I have my doubts… Company profile does not suggest they have any experience manufacturing DACs… And one other thing: wouldn't you expect to see some specs regarding the DAC performance: THD, IMD, SNR, etc.?

Thank you gentlemen!

To tell you the truth, Serge_S, I am simply flabbergasted: Amphe-Dante Dante® cable dongle is in fact a DAC!

As Paul mentioned, “It looks like fun but I cannot imagine that it could approach the SQ of a RN3/D16 plus a good DAC.” Cannot agree with you more here…

Are we positive this thing IS a DAC? Frankly, I have my doubts… Company profile does not suggest they have any experience manufacturing DACs… And one other thing: wouldn't you expect to see some specs regarding the DAC performance: THD, IMD, SNR, etc.?

From the PDF...

"Amphe-Dante feature high-quality digital-toanalogue converters, and support a range of sample rates and bit depths.

They can provide a hardware master clock for a Dante network. As with other Dante products, the freely available Dante Controller software application is used to automatically discover and configure AmpheDante devices connected to the Dante network. Device names, channel labels, signal routing and other parameters (for example, sample rate and latency) can be configured via the network using Dante Controller. A variety of network and clock synchronisation diagnostic tools are also available in Dante Controller.

Amphe-Dante products use Power over Ethernet

(PoE). Power can be provided through the Ethernet cable from a PoE-capable network switch, or from a separate PoE injector."

Two things of note here. It does contain a DAC and to power it you need to provide an ethernet port that has POE.

Also elsewhere it specifies only up to 24/96K.

System

Thank you very kindly @mourip!

Wow! It IS a DAC. Amazing. But 24/96 only...

Looks like Burl, RN 3/D16 can do up to 192 kHz sampling rate only (should we assume the input format is 24 bit?). Is this a limitation of Dante protocol?

What about Ravenna? I wonder if there are any DACs with Ravenna input...

Can we, perhaps, discuss the above protocols and their implementations: latency, maximum available sampling rate, ability to transport DSD, etc.?

Sorry, I intended to ask if there are any "plain and simple" Ravenna interfaces similar to, for example, RN D16.

Mivera Audio have plans to come up with such an Interface.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)