IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Thanks and yes, just happens in Artist view. I am using the Mac app and instead of arrow keys you swipe right/left.

The little blue bar in the pic appears and it becomes non responsive.

Apologies I might be a little dense, you are using Roon on the Mac in this example, correct? Or are you using the Tidal Application on a Mac?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Ok - this is with Roon on my Macbook Pro, no issues scrolling though Tidal Artist via either with swipe or right or down cursor keys. Be mindful I only have about 18 Favorite artists in Tidal ( two Mac screens worth ). No issue clicking on an artist either.

ATidal.jpg

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

• 2 weeks later...

My Aries (full version) just downloaded firmware version 3.1

Checked the Auralic support website but can not see the release notes for what is new or fixed with the latest firmware. Sent an email to Auralic to let them know.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

My Aries (full version) just downloaded firmware version 3.1

Checked the Auralic support website but can not see the release notes for what is new or fixed with the latest firmware. Sent an email to Auralic to let them know.

See below:

Current Firmware Version 3.1 Build 20160201 – AURALIC LIMITED

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

[h=1]Current Firmware Version 3.1 Build 20160201[/h]About This Release:

• 1st February, 2016
  • This update will request reboot of device after the download is done.
  • Devices with firmware from Version 1.8.2 and earlier will need to update the boot code after reboot. There will be a message displayed on device warning people to not to power off the unit during this stage. The updating of boot code will take about 70 - 80 seconds. The unit will reboot after boot code has been updated.

Please make sure you do not reboot or turn off the unit during the update of boot code, or else the unit will no longer be able to boot up (will have to return to factory for flashing the boot code).

Fixes:

• AirPlay wont work properly if switch on manually in iPad App.
  • Device wont join network if the name contains special letter.
  • RoonReady compatibility.
  • Metadata can not be ready correctly for DSF file over 2GB (Need to erase Lightning Server Index and re-index).

Improvement:

• RoonReady Performance.
  • Upgrade to Taglib2 for better file metadata compatibility.

New Features:

• Lightning Server can report current scan file path and name (need Lightning DS V2.5 to enable this feature).

Known Issues:

• Device will wait at 176.4K or 352.8K rather than DSD64 or DSD128 when DAC Delay function is enabled.
  • Device may not work with particular type of USB drive in Mac OS X journaled format.
  • Device may not work with particular type of USB drive or SSD drive which request power over 5V/500mA.
  • USB DACs running on Wavelength USB firmware can not use USB playback function due to a confirmed bug of Wavelength USB firmware under Linux. The known effected brands are: Ayre, Aesthetix and Berkeley Audio.
  • Disable "DSD over PCM" only works on USB DACs that support sampling rate to 352.8K.
  • Certain kinds of 24bit AIF files will be reported as 32bit due to decoder bug.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

• 2 weeks later...

Roon playback has been a bit unstable. A couple times this week, while playing Roon Radio (which I love), playback just stopped. I would check Roon and find that the Aries zone was missing as if it had dropped off the network. Powering off/on the Aries power supply was the only way to get it back on line. Seems that the Roon software might be crashing on the Aries. I've emailed Auralic support.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 2 weeks later...

I am having simmilat issue as Kenny - roon loosing connection to aries roonspeaker. This can happen reproducibly for example when i put mac with roon to sleep and after wake roon can not find aries zone any more (but still can connect to airplay on aries). Restarting roon, aries or sometimes even both will solve this issue.

The same happens intermittently even during normal playback , so it is not just the mac sleep which triggers this bug..

Current Firmware Version 3.1 Build 20160201

Known Issues:

• USB DACs running on Wavelength USB firmware can not use USB playback function due to a confirmed bug of Wavelength USB firmware under Linux. The known effected brands are: Ayre, Aesthetix and Berkeley Audio.

So does this mean I will not be able to use an Aries with my Ayre QB-9DSD?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

The issue is if you plug a USB drive into the Aries, otherwise you will be fine.

OK, thank you! I was getting ready to purchase one (sigh of relief). I guess none of the DAC makers affected will bother to fix this bug as Linux compatibility is not high on their priorities. Some time ago I was told by Ayre that they did not support Linux. Pretty amazing as so many commercial devices are running Linux, not to mention people with Linux-based computers.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I am having simmilat issue as Kenny - roon loosing connection to aries roonspeaker. This can happen reproducibly for example when i put mac with roon to sleep and after wake roon can not find aries zone any more (but still can connect to airplay on aries). Restarting roon, aries or sometimes even both will solve this issue.

The same happens intermittently even during normal playback , so it is not just the mac sleep which triggers this bug..

I contacted Auralic support about Roon dropping. I was advised to contact Roon. I have yet to do so.

I'll likely be moving to an Aurender N100 next month so kind of a moot point for me right now. This may explain why Aurender has yet to support Roon.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Now that the Airies is ROON compatible and ROON works with HQ Player, can the Airies work as a NAA?

In other words can HQ Player connect through ROON which can then stream to the Airies?

I think I said this correctly.

My chain might look like this Windows Server 2012 server where my library is located to my CAPS type PC which also uses Windows Server 2012, With AO, Fidelizer which runs ROON and Hq player and outputs to the Airies via Ethernet or Wifi.

It seems like it should work since HQPlayer and ROON work together and ROON and Aires

Work together.

Thanks,

Steven

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Now that the Airies is ROON compatible and ROON works with HQ Player, can the Airies work as a NAA?

In other words can HQ Player connect through ROON which can then stream to the Airies?

I think I said this correctly.

My chain might look like this Windows Server 2012 server where my library is located to my CAPS type PC which also uses Windows Server 2012, With AO, Fidelizer which runs ROON and Hq player and outputs to the Airies via Ethernet or Wifi.

It seems like it should work since HQPlayer and ROON work together and ROON and Aires

Work together.

Thanks,

Steven

NAA is a simple setup. There are many off-the-shelf boxes/renderers that have an NAA mode; I'm sure Auralic would develop it and include it if enough people wanted it. For example, Auraliti PK90, Sonore SonicOrbiter SE, Sonore microRendu, exaSound Playpoint..to name a few.

My HQP machine (with Roon) is also a WS2012 with AO, and I've used several of the above units as NAA, along with my own Caps Carbon WS2012 AO with JCAT card.

For those who've made the switch, how does Roon compare vs using the Aries as a streamer with a NAS, purely in terms of SQ?

Since the Roon integration takes processing cycles, it would make sense that there is a SQ hit. I made a couple of quick comparisons and did not hear anything, plus I like Roon a lot so that swings it for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

For those who've made the switch, how does Roon compare vs using the Aries as a streamer with a NAS, purely in terms of SQ?

I'm my humble system I noticed a definite improvement in SQ using Roon vs just streaming using LDS from my NAS. I'm just not sure I can justify a dedicated server plus the cost of Roon. Now if Roon core ran on my Synology then that would be a different matter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

I tried Roon, but had difficulties with the connection when playing 24-192. I could not find another SQ and will stay with MinimServer

Aries + Roon = shazam, the bomb.

I am sorting through a new PC build to run Win10/Roon and play with HQP. Having video issues currently.

I took the Aries Extreme out of the boxes, hooked them up, re-established connection with the Lightning DS app, and updated the firmware to the latest today (3/10/16). I opened the Lightning DS after that, enabled wired ethernet, and made sure the Roon button was on.

On to the Roon app on my computer. This app needed a re-connection to the server in the closet, and to rescan the music folder there. But I mean it played right off the bat, and sounds great.

This build (v3.2) seems much more stable and faster. I was really about to sell the Aries due to not liking the control software, but with lifetime Roon working right off, I am impressed now in this little device. If I can get the new PC up and running, I will compare the Aries/Roon combo with PC/Roon/HQP.

My current DAC only does 24/96 (well actually 18/96), and won't play anything over 96, so I can't comment on Tomfox's statement above. I have a new DAC coming and will try some high rez + DSD stuff when I get everything settled in.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Aries + Roon = shazam, the bomb.

I am sorting through a new PC build to run Win10/Roon and play with HQP. Having video issues currently...

If you're going to build a PC for Roon+HQP you won't need your Aries. The PC will go into your DAC via USB directly.

There's an awesome build for a Roon+HQP machine here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/design-pc-server-roon-and-hq-player-25796/#post494417

I'm just finished building one and transcoding FLAC and AAC to DSD128 and DSD256 is truly astounding if you have a DAC that can playback DSD. Highly recommended.

FullSizeRender 14.jpg

I have an older DAC, but am awaiting delivery of a Bryston BDA-3, which will play DSD. I also use a 4-5 year old fan less computer.

I got the Aries awhile back, and was always disappointed using the IPad DS Lightning app, and Kinsky on my PC. I went back and forth a few times with the PC, which stuck once I got Roon. In anticipation of The new DAC, and recent Roon-HQP integration, I started a new fan less i7 computer build. Of course it is being difficult coming alive. I've gotten the motherboard LED to come, but it's not powering on, or at least the monitor is not getting a signal. I need to look into seeing if the motherboard wants a CPU fan on, and find a plain HDMI cable to simplify that connection. With no fan turn on, and no speaker to beep, it's hard to tell if it's coming on or not.

Anyway, I had written off the Aries, and it was boxed up. Hooked it back up, updated it, and it's a smooth Roon player. I have yet to test it with the BDA-3 though, and try DSD files.

If I get the PC running, and like up sampling my, mainly redbook, collection on the fly with HQP, I'll have to decide which to keep. The new, or even the old PC might make a smaller, and quieter, Network Server than I'm using.

My PC build is very close to what you are showing. HDPlex chassis, with the smaller linear PSU.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys