IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

However, it might be best to stick with what you've got, especially if you are still using the Squeezebox Touch with it. Only try to update it if the UPnPBridge plugin can't be installed or doesn't work. Version 7.8.1 is considered stable and 7.9 is considered to be in beta stage.

My Macbook is a 32 bit one even though it is a Core 2 Duo, it doesn't have the 64 bit kernel or extensions hence the problem with not being able to use Minimserver. This also means I cannot update LMS beyond the version I have now. System Preferences prompts me to update LMS but it doesn't work. I guess I have no choice but to stick with what I have for now.

UPnPBridge plugin was installed ok and I have enabled it but have not run it in "Settings" yet. I'll do so when my Aries gets here. I am guessing that I shouldn't run it and the UPnP / DLNA Media Interface at the same time? Or it doesn't matter and I can do so to AB how both work on the Aries?

Thanks again

At a guess, I don't think having both plugins activated at the same on LMS should cause any issues. Just make sure you completely stop controlling the playback of the networked streamed music files on the Aries with one method, before using the playback controls on the other.

Incidentally, the Aries needs to be set to standard UPnP mode rather than the OpenHome Media (ohMedia, aka UPnP with Linn extensions) mode. This is because the UPnPBridge currently only works with standard UPnP streamers and not OpenHome Media ones.

This may be more of an issue with your A/B testing, since the default mode when using the Lightning DS app to control the Aries's network file streaming is OpenHome, not (standard) UPnP (or 'uPnP', as Auralic have for some reason decided to rename UPnP to.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

At a guess, I don't think having both plugins activated at the same on LMS should cause any issues. Just make sure you completely stop controlling the playback of the networked streamed music files on the Aries with one method, before using the playback controls on the other.

Incidentally, the Aries needs to be set to standard UPnP mode rather than the OpenHome Media (ohMedia, aka UPnP with Linn extensions) mode. This is because the UPnPBridge currently only works with standard UPnP streamers and not OpenHome Media ones.

This may be more of an issue with your A/B testing, since the default mode when using the Lightning DS app to control the Aries's network file streaming is OpenHome, not (standard) UPnP (or 'uPnP', as Auralic have for some reason decided to rename UPnP to.

The exchange here is great. Thank you. I have a question that might better be asked on the LMS forum: but, - if one installs the UPnP bridge Squeeze2 plugin on their LMS, - (and sets the Aries to run UPnP), - will one's Aries show up as another Squeezebox device like a touch or a SqueezeRadio on iPeng or Logitech's control app? Playing from one's NAS, or Internet radio etc from one's normal Squeezebox IF? Synchronizing the Aries with the Squeezeboxes? That dream cannot be true, can it?

The exchange here is great. Thank you. Synchronizing the Aries with the Squeezeboxes? That dream cannot be true, can it?

Yes, all thanks to John (Cebolla). I wonder why Auralic have not cottoned on to promoting the Aries and Aries Mini as a Squeezebox substitute in this manner if as a streamer, the hardware actually offers an improvement over a Squeezebox Touch. Just think of all the Squeezebox Touch users who like LMS and its interface but realise that the Touch itself may be long in the tooth. Now they can get an Auralic in the flavour they want and literally plug and play in their LMS/SBT oriented systems in the true spirit of UPnP. I mean I just stumbled onto it because my Macbook was unable to run Minimserver.

If and when they do, they should pay John for his insights here.

Hello to every one. I am new to this forum. 'Was considering getting an Auralic Aries but now I am confused. I use, now and then, a MacBook Pro with a usb to spdif USB converter from that computer to my 47 Lab dac using Pure Music and thought it sounded pretty good , and reading all around the internet that the Aries would trounce, that but now I'm having second thoughts considering the issues brought up in this forum with the Aries, seems quirky or complicated.

I'm having second thoughts considering the issues brought up in this forum with the Aries, seems quirky or complicated.

What are the specific issues that concern you?

I'm very happy with mine playing back content from my NAS and Tidal (when it's stable, not Aries' issue)

Maybe I'll have to reconsider my priorities. I am used to downloading hirez files and ripping CD's directly to my computer. I mostly listen - when using the computer- to ripped CD's- because of the ease of listening to various types of music without getting up, and they really sound good also. So, the Aries being a streamer, it seems I will still be ripping my CD's into my Mac and transfering the files to the Aries either by wireless networking -is this so- or by memory stick w/ the files on it. Tidal is another issue though I still do not have that, which according to what is said here is something to consider. I guess it all comes down to realizing this is a different way to listen to music. Thanks.

Hi Manolo47

I think your idea of what a streamer does is not quite correct. When network streaming a music file that is stored on another device on the network, a UPnP/DLNA supporting network audio player (aka renderer aka streamer) like the Aries, just receives the audio file data. It is this music file data that it is then played back by the Aries as it is received, in a similar way to the way a software music file player running on a computer would play back a file stored on another deivice on the network, the main difference being the network mechanism used to obtain the music file data over the network.

So with network file streaming there is no transferring of whole music files (presumably for storage on the device itself), only a transfer of the music file data that's required for immediate playback and certainly no user involvement in the network 'transfer' process as it's completely automatic. The music file data received by the streamer is discarded when it is no longer needed for the playback instance it was obtained for, so does not actually get permantly stored by the device.

You can therefore still use your computer to store your music files and use the Aries to play them, so long as the computer is accessible over the network, either by WiFi or by a wired ethernet connection.

What you may be confusing the Aries's ability as a streamer with, is its (non network streaming) function of being also able to play music files stored on attached USB hard drive or memory stick.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

From firmware version 2.9.2 Build 20151017 to a new version 2.10. What is this..?

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

Does anyone know if the AirPlay option only works if you're using a WiFi connection with the Aries vs a wired connection? If I enable airplay in LDS I don't see the Aries as a valid Airplay destination. I am using a wired connection on my Aries. (I also use a wired connection on a yamaha receiver but that still shows up under airplay).

TIA

Mike

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

[h=1]Current Firmware Version 2.10 Build 20151124[/h]About This Release:

• November 24, 2015
  • This update will request reboot of device after the download is done.
  • Devices with firmware from Version 1.8.2 and earlier will need to update the boot code after reboot. There will be a message displayed on device warning people to not to power off the unit during this stage. The updating of boot code will take about 70 - 80 seconds. The unit will reboot after boot code has been updated.

Please make sure you do not reboot or turn off the unit during the update of boot code, or else the unit will no longer be able to boot up (will have to return to factory for flashing the boot code).

Fixes:

• Radio station name (when it is available) wont display correctly in Lightning DS.
  • Music file larger than 2GB wont be read by Lightning Server.
  • Album cover that contains capital letter wont be read by Lightning Server under Network Folder mode. To resolve the problem, you need to use ‘Erase Lightning Server Index’ first and rebuild the index (that will take some time).

Improvement:

• Wired connection stability for ARIES MINI.
  • Rename ‘Hard Drive’ mode of Lightning Server to ‘Internal Storage’.
  • DAC Delay has been enabled as default for ARIES MINI.

New Features:

• Add standby function for ARIES MINI. Press middle button for 5 seconds till LED start flashing in white color, the device will then go standby mode. Press any key to call it back.
  • LED of ARIES MINI can be set as On/Off/Auto Off. (Wait for Lightning DS V2.4 to active)
  • Button of ARIES MINI can be configured for other functions. (Wait for Lightning DS V2.4 to active)

Known Issues:

• Device will wait at 176.4K or 352.8K rather than DSD64 or DSD128 when DAC Delay function is enabled.
  • Device may not work with particular type of USB drive in Mac OS X journaled format.
  • Device may not work with particular type of USB drive or SSD drive which request power over 5V/500mA.
  • USB DACs running on Wavelength USB firmware can not use USB playback function due to a confirmed bug of Wavelength USB firmware under Linux. The known effected brands are: Ayre, Aesthetix and Berkeley Audio.
  • Disable "DSD over PCM" only works on USB DACs that support sampling rate to 352.8K.
  • Certain kinds of 24bit AIF files will be reported as 32bit due to decoder bug.

Bugs i found :

Now tracks with size > 2Gb are correctly scanned. But, there are excluded the album. I've a album with 5 tracks. 2 of them have a size >2Gb. I my library, i've 2 albums : One with the 2 tracks with size > 2Gb but not artwork and no meta-data. The 3 others tracks are in another album with good metadata.

Scan is very low now ... Before, a rescan without modification was about 100 tracks/s, now it's 20/s ...

So, can some people test the scan speed of the 2.10 firmware. For me it seems slower than the 2.9.2. Especially if you are doing a rescan of a unmodified library. It seems to be the first scan event if you do not modify anything in your library.

Yes it is much slower. My impression is that it takes at least 3-4 times longer to scan my library than before.

Certainly not a big deal for me as it happens in the background, but I am curious to know why it changed. Perhaps it has something to do with the fixes for reading music files larger than 2GB or the album covers???

to.

Thank you again for all of this great info. IMO, this really increases the value of the Aries, Aries Mini, Sim Audio Mind, etc. For those of us who may be running 3 or 4 SBTs and/or Squeezebox radios/devices: it is an incredible revelation. While not saying any one proprietary playback software is good or bad, - those of us who use LMS, plus derive all the "applets" that include internet radio, Pandora, etc. are going to love this, and if one doesn't like the playback software that comes with the player, they can always just use LMS. Are you running this with your Aries? I am curious to hear reports from folks.

Cheers,

I am very interested in an Aries but don't understand how it works. I currently use a Logitech Touch via ethernet to a Vega and find it very easy to use.I listen mostly to internet radio and like how it is easy to find different types of music with the Touch. Can I play internet radio and music from my hard drive on my computer... I'm pretty stupid when it comes to computers and streaming. Please explain. Thanks...

I am very interested in an Aries but don't understand how it works. I currently use a Logitech Touch via ethernet to a Vega and find it very easy to use.I listen mostly to internet radio and like how it is easy to find different types of music with the Touch. Can I play internet radio and music from my hard drive on my computer... I'm pretty stupid when it comes to computers and streaming. Please explain. Thanks...

Hi,

As I understand it: You connect the Aries to your home network, (preferably an ethernet cable), set it to use uPnP instead of Open Home. Then you install & enable the Squeeze2UPnP plugin in your LMS server. Then, the Aries will show up as just another Squeezebox Touch or SqueezeRadio, - whatever, - and you'll control it with your iPeng, or logitech app. It'll do everything that your SBT can do, except pic/video apps like Flickr... etc.

Unfortunately, (apparently due to issues with the Aries uPnP implementation), I have heard of no one who has gotten it to work adequately.

Is there any other ways to play internet radio with the Aries?

With the Auralic lightening DS software that comes with the player, as well as any LINN product, or any other OPENHome product.

But if you already have a house full of Squeezeboxes, and your goal is to play internet Radio, - (which is low quality), - why would you want to leave LMS?

Well I only have one Squeezebox in the house. I have a Vega and thought the Aries would be a good match. Could you explain the reason for owning an Aries? I thought it woulld raise the quality of internet streaming.

Hi,

It is my understanding the Aries has great synergy with the Vega.

Its best value as I see it, (and of course that is highly subjective), is to play uncompressed music files that you have been built/ripped from a NAS drive/HD drive.

IMO, no Internet Radio broadcast can sound as good as a rip played locally on your home network. Internet radio stations, or applets that play internet broadcast content vary in quality: but even broadcasters like Tidal who claim CD quality have lower quality than AIFF rips. I noticed no difference in Internet radio on the Aries vs the SBT: while noticing a big difference between an Aries and a SBT playing my ripped AIFF files.

IMO, the Aries, (as any network file player), has its value in how well it performs with the digital files that you built, played locally. Speaking only for myself, (for my main system, not a kitchen or bedroom system), Internet Radio would be icing-on-cake bonus that would not affect a purchase.