IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

That's why I'm building a new one.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

My 24/192 tracks are starting, and then kind of sputtering out after about 15 seconds. Several songs, several albums. Playing redbook and 24/96 fine. My DAC is supposed to be good to 384. My previous DAC did not even play anything above 24/96.

Anyone seen this and have any clues? Latest firmware on both DAC and Aries.

My Dac2se is at my office and has a laptop feeding it directly. I have not looked into HQP on my laptop there. Perhaps once I get my home system setup and working well. Hmm, would I have to buy a second HQP?

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

My 24/192 tracks are starting, and then kind of sputtering out after about 15 seconds. Several songs, several albums. Playing redbook and 24/96 fine. My DAC is supposed to be good to 384. My previous DAC did not even play anything above 24/96.

Anyone seen this and have any clues? Latest firmware on both DAC and Aries.

My Dac2se is at my office and has a laptop feeding it directly. I have not looked into HQP on my laptop there. Perhaps once I get my home system setup and working well. Hmm, would I have to buy a second HQP?

I have the problem occasionally. Closing then restarting the Lightning DS app on my iPad seems to cure it.

AURALiC Aries LE -> Bryston BDA-2 -> BHA-1 -> Audeze LCD-2F or MrSpeakers Alpha Dog

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Bel Canto e.One DAC3 -> Sennheiser HDVA 600 -> HD 800 or HD 650

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Audeze Deckard -> Audeze LCD-2.2 or Oppo PM-1 or beyerdynamic K702

I have the problem occasionally. Closing then restarting the Lightning DS app on my iPad seems to cure it.

Thanks, I am using Roon. I'll give a reset a try though. I hope to rustle up a DSD file today to try tonight.

Thanks, I am using Roon. I'll give a reset a try though. I hope to rustle up a DSD file today to try tonight.

Do you see the problem when not using Roon? You may have a Roon issue.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Roon is very expensive. What makes it different then LDS? I don't get it. Does it better the SQ?

Roon has a that I absolutely love called Roon Radio, which isn't available on LDS. Roon will essentially just create a playlist on the fly of random tracks similar to the track you just played. So a track from Yes, could lead to a track from ELP, then to Genesis, and so on.

I can't tell you how many times I've been surprised to hear tracks I didn't even realize were in my library. Music discovery is what makes Roon worth the money to me.

As far as SQ, I can't say I hear a difference.

Lastly, I like that the Roon app for iOS takes me right back to where I left it after it returns to the foreground. It's inexcusable that LDS can't do this.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Roon has a that I absolutely love called Roon Radio, which isn't available on LDS. Roon will essentially just create a playlist on the fly of random tracks similar to the track you just played. So a track from Yes, could lead to a track from ELP, then to Genesis, and so on.

I can't tell you how many times I've been surprised to hear tracks I didn't even realize were in my library. Music discovery is what makes Roon worth the money to me.

As far as SQ, I can't say I hear a difference.

Lastly, I like that the Roon app for iOS takes me right back to where I left it after it returns to the foreground. It's inexcusable that LDS can't do this.

What bitrates does the radio play at?

What bitrates does the radio play at?

Roon Radio plays songs from your own library. It plays them at the bitrate they'd normally play.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/whats-radio-and-how-does-it-work/164

Can Roon be used with the Aries and Ipad?

Yes but a computer is needed to run Roon Core. I run this on a Mac Pro that's in another room in my house.

Can it be a Windows computer? This all sounds out of my league. I may just stay with LDS and Tidal.

Yes it can be. Sticking with LDS and TIDAL not a bad move. But you can run the Roon trial too. It took me less than 10 minutes to get this running and streaming to my Aries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi

I am unsure if this has been covered before but how do I play SACD .iso rips through the Aries. Is this doable? If not what do I have to do to play them?

Thanks and regards

Extract out the stereo DSF tracks, using something like ISO2DSD

Sonore APPS - ISO2DSD

• 2 weeks later...

New firmware with apparent SQ changes. I haven't done any critical listening yet, it will be interesting to get user impressions:

Current Firmware Version 3.3 Build 20160418

About This Release:

• 18th April, 2016
  • This update will request reboot of device after the download is done.
  • Devices with firmware from Version 1.8.2 and earlier will need to update the boot code after reboot. There will be a message displayed on device warning people to not to power off the unit during this stage. The updating of boot code will take about 70 - 80 seconds. The unit will reboot after boot code has been updated.

Please make sure you do not reboot or turn off the unit during the update of boot code, or else the unit will no longer be able to boot up (will have to return to factory for flashing the boot code).

Fixes:

• uPnP Renderer mode wont work with JRiver Media Center 21

Improvement:

• Bump kernel version to 4.1.18
  • Sound quality improvement

Known Issues:

• Device will wait at 176.4K or 352.8K rather than DSD64 or DSD128 when DAC Delay function is enabled.
  • Device may not work with particular type of USB drive in Mac OS X journaled format.
  • Device may not work with particular type of USB drive or SSD drive which request power over 5V/500mA.
  • USB DACs running on Wavelength USB firmware can not use USB playback function due to a confirmed bug of Wavelength USB firmware under Linux. The known effected brands are: Ayre, Aesthetix and Berkeley Audio.
  • Disable "DSD over PCM" only works on USB DACs that support sampling rate to 352.8K.
  • Certain kinds of 24bit AIF files will be reported as 32bit due to decoder bug.

New firmware with...

Improvement:

• Bump kernel version to 4.1.18
  • Sound quality improvement

can a linux kernel realy improve sound quality?

or are there some other things they changed for this improvement?

my aries had the firmware Update this morning automaticly, later i will listen if there is something changed but this is not easy without a-b comparison

we have to trust in new firmware each time ;-)

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone

So, anybody tried? I'm still as happy with my Aries as I was before...

I need to do some more listening but my first impression on some music was a little more low/mid weight and smoothness but perhaps at the expense of some air? Anyway, it certainly doesn't sound worse. It's pretty tough when you can't do a direct comparison and I have the memory of a goldfish :)

Auralic expects more SQ improvement via a further update that will include "memory playback function". I guess that would involve caching at least entire tracks for playback?