IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Mini won't update to Version 3.0

The Mini should auto update to v3. Power off for a moment.

Tried powering off for several hours then reconnected and waited for an hour. Still no update. Then decided to start over and take the Mini through the Setup Lightning Device routine. Still no update.

My Mini is still at Version 2.10 and when I tap firmware refresh is says "Your firmware is up to date." I must be missing something simple.

Browsed through the online docs to see if there was any way to do a hardware reset, but didn't find any info. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

AURALiC Aries LE -> Bryston BDA-2 -> BHA-1 -> Audeze LCD-2F or MrSpeakers Alpha Dog

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Bel Canto e.One DAC3 -> Sennheiser HDVA 600 -> HD 800 or HD 650

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Audeze Deckard -> Audeze LCD-2.2 or Oppo PM-1 or beyerdynamic K702

Tried powering off for several hours then reconnected and waited for an hour. Still no update. Then decided to start over and take the Mini through the Setup Lightning Device routine. Still no update.

My Mini is still at Version 2.10 and when I tap firmware refresh is says "Your firmware is up to date." I must be missing something simple.

Browsed through the online docs to see if there was any way to do a hardware reset, but didn't find any info. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

At this point I'd contact Auralic support. When I went to the app and looked for the update, it already said Firmware 3.0 ready for download.

I have seen this with earlier versions . Have you completely turned off and Mini (unplug) and plug back in . This has worked for me in the past

I believe there was a bug in the past where the workaround was to switch from wired to wireless and back (or vice versa) as this would allow the update to be detected. I believe they fixed it, but it wouldn't hurt to try this.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I have seen this with earlier versions . Have you completely turned off and Mini (unplug) and plug back in . This has worked for me in the past

Thied this numerous times with no luck.

AURALiC Aries LE -> Bryston BDA-2 -> BHA-1 -> Audeze LCD-2F or MrSpeakers Alpha Dog

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Bel Canto e.One DAC3 -> Sennheiser HDVA 600 -> HD 800 or HD 650

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Audeze Deckard -> Audeze LCD-2.2 or Oppo PM-1 or beyerdynamic K702

A

I believe there was a bug in the past where the workaround was to switch from wired to wireless and back (or vice versa) as this would allow the update to be detected. I believe they fixed it, but it wouldn't hurt to try this.

Just tried this after bringing the Mini to my home office and connecting via Cat 6 cable. Switched back and forth between wired and wireless but still stuck at v2.10. I think it's time to contact Auralic

I had the same issue. What I tried was going into my wireless setting on my full Aries ... Then I changed my DNS server setting from Google DNS server to my ISP's DNS server. The Aries then displayed it was applying setting... Moments after coming back online, the Aries started downloading the new firmware.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

What is your DAC and connection mode to it ? Can you disable DSD over PCM and check ?

I'm using a diy dac with AK4490 chip ( AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support – Discrete DIFF/SE shield, PCM Filter setting | Mirand Audio - Solidstate designs ) connected through USB. When I start a DSD256 file I see time elapse on the Aries. With DSD over PCM I have total silence, With DSD over PCM enabled I hear a lot of noise.

Other people who use this dac can play DSD256 but all of them are not using an Aries. My guess would be the problem lies with the dac because Aries shows time elapsing.

I'm using a diy dac with AK4490 chip ( AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support – Discrete DIFF/SE shield, PCM Filter setting | Mirand Audio - Solidstate designs ) connected through USB. When I start a DSD256 file I see time elapse on the Aries. With DSD over PCM I have total silence, With DSD over PCM enabled I hear a lot of noise.

Other people who use this dac can play DSD256 but all of them are not using an Aries. My guess would be the problem lies with the dac because Aries shows time elapsing.

With DSD over PCM disabled Aries will convert DSD to 24/352.8K PCM to feed your DAC, so your DAC needs to support 352.8K sampling rate for PCM. With DSD over PCM enabled your DAC needs to be able to play DSD256 natively (without DoP). If your DAC has neither of these capabilities then it cannot play DSD256 coming from Aries.

I recall someone having suggested to Auralic to have Aries support user-selectable PCM sampling rate for the built-in DSD to PCM conversion (with DSD over PCM disabled). To be able to pick a sampling rate (e.g. 88.2K/176.4K/352.8K) would allow more DACs to play DSD content via conversion to PCM.

With DSD over PCM disabled Aries will convert DSD to 24/352.8K PCM to feed your DAC, so your DAC needs to support 352.8K sampling rate for PCM. With DSD over PCM enabled your DAC needs to be able to play DSD256 natively (without DoP). If your DAC has neither of these capabilities then it cannot play DSD256 coming from Aries.

I recall someone having suggested to Auralic to have Aries support user-selectable PCM sampling rate for the built-in DSD to PCM conversion (with DSD over PCM disabled). To be able to pick a sampling rate (e.g. 88.2K/176.4K/352.8K) would allow more DACs to play DSD content via conversion to PCM.

Hmm I just checked: It won't play 88.2-176.4-352.8 either... The dac is the "problem"...

From my understanding of asynchronous USB audio, if the DAC doesn't receive data, it requests the host to send/repeat the missing data. If the host keeps playing regardless, then the host isn't communicating with the DAC at all, a one way street.

Also possible that there's no handshaking to begin with, so the DAC gives up. From what I have seen with HQPlayer and ASIO, if there's a slight hiccup with the config of the ASIO output device, HQPlayer grinds to a halt very quickly and play is stopped until the fault is rectified.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I had the same issue. What I tried was going into my wireless setting on my full Aries ... Then I changed my DNS server setting from Google DNS server to my ISP's DNS server. The Aries then displayed it was applying setting... Moments after coming back online, the Aries started downloading the new firmware.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I changed my DNS settings as you suggested and was hoping it would update overnight, but that didn't happen.

Got a response from Auralic Support: "ARIES MINI is for Sell and Use in China Mainland Only!AURALiC will not provide any service for the units used outside contracted territory."

My Mini was purchased in November from an authorized Auralic dealer in Green Bay, WI. It included the Tidal subscription and a US power supply. I will make an appeal to Auralic and get the dealer involved since I'm 100% sure this is a Mini made for the US market.

Thanks to all that have given me help.

Wil

I was very impressed by how easy it was to get things going with RoonReady on my Aries last night.

I took advantage of the card that was included in my AudioQuest JitterBug that offered free 60-day trial of Roon. After redeeming the number on the card and creating an account, I downloaded and installed the Roon application onto my Mac Pro. I set it to only watch my iTunes library as a first step.

I next installed the Roon app on my iPad, set the Aries as a RoonReady endpoint, selected a song, and then music started playing (yay!). I didn't play with it much after that as I was wiped out from a long day of work. Before going to bed, I went back to the Roon app on my Mac Pro and configured it to watch my entire music library on my NAS.

I'm tempted to say that Roon will be worth the money to me simply because the iOS app returns me to exactly where I left it after it is restored to the foreground. (I wish Auralic could figure out how to get LDS to do that.) I know that Roon is so much more than that though after using it at a friend's. I'm very much looking forward to playing with it tonight.

This screen shot was captured from the Roon iOS app.

image1.PNG

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I was very impressed by how easy it was to get things going with RoonReady on my Aries last night.

I took advantage of the card that was included in my AudioQuest JitterBug that offered free 60-day trial of Roon. After redeeming the number on the card and creating an account, I downloaded and installed the Roon application onto my Mac Pro. I set it to only watch my iTunes library as a first step.

I next installed the Roon app on my iPad, set the Aries as a RoonReady endpoint, selected a song, and then music started playing (yay!). I didn't play with it much after that as I was wiped out from a long day of work. Before going to bed, I went back to the Roon app on my Mac Pro and configured it to watch my entire music library on my NAS.

I'm tempted to say that Roon will be worth the money to me simply because the iOS app returns me to exactly where I left it after it is restored to the foreground. (I wish Auralic could figure out how to get LDS to do that.) I know that Roon is so much more than that though after using it at a friend's. I'm very much looking forward to playing with it tonight.

This screen shot was captured from the Roon iOS app.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23340[/ATTACH]

Roon and Aries are a fantastic match. I am using both and a Roon subscriber. I looked at it more as a hardware purchase than just a library management tool in that I believe Roon will continue to evolve and be compatible in a variety of ways and with equipment that individual manufacturers software may not be. However I understand that the update to Lightning DS that is coming soon is a big step forward. And Auralic has constantly improved their product but just don't have the experience the Roon crew does at this point. Once the update (2.4) to the DS app comes out it will be interesting to see how much closer Auralic is.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured with the new firmware I'd take Roon up on the 14 day trial, and I agree it was easy to set up (my music is on a NAS) and on my humble system at least, there is a distinct sound improvement to my ears using Roon versus LDS 2.4. The question is whether or not it's worth the yearly fee plus a dedicated PC/Mac to run the Roon server. Now if Roon server ran on my Synology then the decision would be a lot easier!

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

I used to feed myself random tracks using iTunes smart playlists when running A+. I lost them with the move to the Aries and never found a good replacement. Those smart playlists are looking pretty dumb right now relative to Room's Radio feature. This takes you on a journey through similar songs in your own library.

A Yes song lead to a Pink Floyd song which lead to a Moody Blues song which lead to a Jethro Tull song which lead to a King Crimson song.

Brilliant.

Figured with the new firmware I'd take Roon up on the 14 day trial, and I agree it was easy to set up (my music is on a NAS) and on my humble system at least, there is a distinct sound improvement to my ears using Roon versus LDS 2.4. The question is whether or not it's worth the yearly fee plus a dedicated PC/Mac to run the Roon server. Now if Roon server ran on my Synology then the decision would be a lot easier!

Sorry. But I'm slow to digest these things. I have an Aries, a NAS, and an iPad. This isn't enough to enjoy roon at its full potential through the iPad app??

@eligeorgia -

Into the mix you need one computer that would run Roon (Core)/Server. Many options on what that might be. This component is the one that handles all the music library management and in turn can output to a DAC, or to a RoonReady device such as the Aries.

On your iPad you can also run Roon to control the music playback and selection.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Loving roon as well. Running on the only computer I have anymore - work laptop :)

I am having a weird problem with tidal and only with favorite artists. I can not scroll the list and if I click on any artist it jumps to somewhere else in the list, like pulling a scroll bar. Anyone else seen this?

I tried deleting and reinstalling the app on my Mac.

I posted to the roon forum, but it is the weekend...

So using the right arrow keys don't allow you to move through the list ? I assume if you view albums rather than artists this is not an issue?

So this is on your Mac, choosing Tidal-> Your Favorites ? In the Roon application not via a web browser?

I am in rain soaked Northern California. Tidal is available here.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs