IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Posted on Auralic Facebook page @ 10am CST today:

"Version 3.0 of Lightning Streaming Platform Firmware is coming, Adding MQA and RoonReady. Please visit AURALiC in Venetian Suite 29-122 during the 2016 CES, January 6 – 9.

AURALIC North America Inc. and its parent company, AURALIC LIMITED, are pleased to be the first developer of a complete line of high-resolution audio streamers to offer fully implemented capability for two of the industry’s significant new technologies: MQA decoding and the RoonReady integration.

Both these eagerly-awaited technologies will be demonstrated at the 2016 CES, and will be available soon afterwards via online firmware update. MQA decoding will be available for all three AURALiC’s lightning streaming devices: ARIES, ARIES LE and ARIES MINI. The RoonReady capability will initially be available for the ARIES and ARIES LE.

As TIDAL streaming is already integrated into the Lightning DS software platform, all three of AURALiC’s streaming models will be ready to handle TIDAL’s anticipated launch of MQA-encoded music.

During the CES, AURALiC will stream TIDAL and MQA exclusively, and will also be demonstrating the RoonReady capability.

Xuanqian Wang, AURALiC’s president & CEO, pointed out that “with ARIES and ARIES LE fully decoding MQA music, they bring the MQA technology to any existing DAC on the market. (The ARIES MINI has its own built-in DAC.)"

I am consistently getting the right channel with static , low volume and distortion with my femto clock Aries . If I turn the Aries completely off a few times I get music playing back to normal .

I am using the Aries wirelessly .

Is this a wifi issue or a problem with the Aries as it is happening quite a bit and also when I change from USB to digital outputs and viceversa?

I had the same problem. First I had my Aries connected to the Vega via USB without any problem using it wireless.

After changing my setup to AES without Vega I got distortions. Changing from wireless to wired solved the issue.

I don't know, if the wireless connection is the issue because it actually sill uses wireless for control. An Audioplan Power Plant before the Aries did not solve it.

I quess that is what my concern is... The learning curve. They shouldn't make it so difficult to use...

If I can figure it out, I guarantee you can too. It literally walks you through every step of setup. Believe me I was nervous about it too, but it's really quite simple and intuitive to set up.

When they initially came out I would say yes but not now . Firmware and iOS software updates have resolved most issues .

A very nice device .

+1

My Aries LE and Mini have been totally stable for the past few months. Not so a year ago.

AURALiC Aries LE -> Bryston BDA-2 -> BHA-1 -> Audeze LCD-2F or MrSpeakers Alpha Dog

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Bel Canto e.One DAC3 -> Sennheiser HDVA 600 -> HD 800 or HD 650

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Audeze Deckard -> Audeze LCD-2.2 or Oppo PM-1 or beyerdynamic K702

Does anyone know if Auralic still has plans to make the Aries able to convert PCM to DSD? This was an early discussion (pre-release) but I don't see much about it lately (or have missed it). This would be handy if you had a DAC that favored DSD playback (don't want a discussion of "native" or "best" please).

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Does anyone know if Auralic still has plans to make the Aries able to convert PCM to DSD? This was an early discussion (pre-release) but I don't see much about it lately (or have missed it). This would be handy if you had a DAC that favored DSD playback (don't want a discussion of "native" or "best" please).

They do but it's not top priority.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

[h=1]Current Firmware Version 3.0 Build 20160111[/h] About This Release:

• 11th January, 2016
  • This update will request reboot of device after the download is done.
  • Devices with firmware from Version 1.8.2 and earlier will need to update the boot code after reboot. There will be a message displayed on device warning people to not to power off the unit during this stage. The updating of boot code will take about 70 - 80 seconds. The unit will reboot after boot code has been updated.

Please make sure you do not reboot or turn off the unit during the update of boot code, or else the unit will no longer be able to boot up (will have to return to factory for flashing the boot code).

Fixes:

• Unable to manual set network mask address.
  • Next track always jump to track #2 for online streaming music.
  • Rescan speed to be slow for network shared folder.

Improvement:

• AirPlay synchronization improvement by using shirport-sync code.
  • Playback stability for ARIES MINI output.

New Features:

• Add RoonReady for ARIES and ARIES LE.
  • Automatic work mode switch for AirPlay, Songcast, Bluetooth, AirPlay and etc, there is no need to switch to certain work mode manually.

Known Issues:

• Device will wait at 176.4K or 352.8K rather than DSD64 or DSD128 when DAC Delay function is enabled.
  • Device may not work with particular type of USB drive in Mac OS X journaled format.
  • Device may not work with particular type of USB drive or SSD drive which request power over 5V/500mA.
  • USB DACs running on Wavelength USB firmware can not use USB playback function due to a confirmed bug of Wavelength USB firmware under Linux. The known effected brands are: Ayre, Aesthetix and Berkeley Audio.
  • Disable "DSD over PCM" only works on USB DACs that support sampling rate to 352.8K.
  • Certain kinds of 24bit AIF files will be reported as 32bit due to decoder bug.

Some quick checks about the 3.0 firmware :

Fixed :

- Rescan speed is now correct with NAS (about 100 files/second instead of 20/30 with the previous one)

- DSD256 appears now in the File Sampling Rate filter (it was "Various" before)

Bugs :

- My tracks > 2GB still not included in the main album, but in a second one. I've an album with 5 tracks. Track 1 and 5 are >2GB. I've 2 album with the same name, the first with Track 2,3 and 4 and all the metadata and cover, and an another with only Track 1 and 5 without cover and metadata.

Does the Aries can playback DXD file in .WAV container ?

Current Firmware Version 3.0 Build 20160111

Does this update apply to the Mini? My LE auto-updated itself to Version 3.0 overnight with no intervention on my part. My Mini is still at Version 2.10 and when I tap firmware refresh is says "Your firmware is up to date."

AURALiC Aries LE -> Bryston BDA-2 -> BHA-1 -> Audeze LCD-2F or MrSpeakers Alpha Dog

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Bel Canto e.One DAC3 -> Sennheiser HDVA 600 -> HD 800 or HD 650

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Audeze Deckard -> Audeze LCD-2.2 or Oppo PM-1 or beyerdynamic K702

The Mini should auto update to v3. Power off for a moment.

Tried that earlier but it still didn't update. Just tried powering off for a longer duration (a couple of minutes) and it still stays at v2.10. I'll leave it unpluged for the rest of the day while I'm out and see what happens when I get home this evening.

Thanks for the help!

Wil

Thanks... Not much settings to look at, I have dac delay at 1 second and DSD over PCM enabled.

And, again, the dac should be able to play DSD256. It plays everything below that just not DSD256...

What is your DAC and connection mode to it ? Can you disable DSD over PCM and check ?

Current Firmware Version 3.0 Build 20160111

Does this update apply to the Mini? My LE auto-updated itself to Version 3.0 overnight with no intervention on my part. My Mini is still at Version 2.10 and when I tap firmware refresh is says "Your firmware is up to date."

3.0 is supposed to be for the Mini also, just without Roon support at this time.