IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

New firmware with apparent SQ changes. I haven't done any critical listening yet, it will be interesting to get user impressions:

Current Firmware Version 3.3 Build 20160418

About This Release:

• 18th April, 2016
  • This update will request reboot of device after the download is done.
  • Devices with firmware from Version 1.8.2 and earlier will need to update the boot code after reboot. There will be a message displayed on device warning people to not to power off the unit during this stage. The updating of boot code will take about 70 - 80 seconds. The unit will reboot after boot code has been updated.

Please make sure you do not reboot or turn off the unit during the update of boot code, or else the unit will no longer be able to boot up (will have to return to factory for flashing the boot code).

Fixes:

• uPnP Renderer mode wont work with JRiver Media Center 21

Improvement:

• Bump kernel version to 4.1.18
  • Sound quality improvement

Known Issues:

• Device will wait at 176.4K or 352.8K rather than DSD64 or DSD128 when DAC Delay function is enabled.
  • Device may not work with particular type of USB drive in Mac OS X journaled format.
  • Device may not work with particular type of USB drive or SSD drive which request power over 5V/500mA.
  • USB DACs running on Wavelength USB firmware can not use USB playback function due to a confirmed bug of Wavelength USB firmware under Linux. The known effected brands are: Ayre, Aesthetix and Berkeley Audio.
  • Disable "DSD over PCM" only works on USB DACs that support sampling rate to 352.8K.
  • Certain kinds of 24bit AIF files will be reported as 32bit due to decoder bug.

Anyone note the reported bump in sound quality listed above?

Rescan seems much faster.

AURALiC Aries LE -> Bryston BDA-2 -> BHA-1 -> Audeze LCD-2F or MrSpeakers Alpha Dog

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Bel Canto e.One DAC3 -> Sennheiser HDVA 600 -> HD 800 or HD 650

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Audeze Deckard -> Audeze LCD-2.2 or Oppo PM-1 or beyerdynamic K702

I heard memory playback is coming with a future firmware update . Has anyone else heard this ? Could this improve audio quality ?

Yes that is coming. I assume memory playback means caching to the internal disk? The Aries only has a 4gb disk and I'm not sure how much of that is already used, so I guess the caching would be somewhere from a full track to an album?

Auralic say it will result in a SQ improvement - I don't know how exactly, I can understand how caching could help with unreliable wifi connections etc. I might be on the wrong track here, maybe someone that is more au fait with this sort of thing could comment?

Aurender does caching and they say it improves the sound - I think people here have commented on this before.

I guess Auralic is following suit.

That's right - Aurender uses a 120gb SSD for caching, I don't know enough about it to ascertain whether the much smaller 4gb disk in the Aries is any sort of major disadvantage in comparison? I guess we will find out.......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25511[/ATTACH]

I am getting this error message quite frequently as of late. Anyone else with a similar issue?

Cheers,

WDW

Yep, all the time. I have to exit the app then tap back in for it to be online. Then sometimes it takes a few trys...

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

Yep, all the time. I have to exit the app then tap back in for it to be online. Then sometimes it takes a few trys...

Interesting...Wonder how prolific this software/hardware error is. Is your library mounted on a USB drive attached to the Aries, as is mine? Am wondering if this is a drive latency issue.

Cheers

Interesting...Wonder how prolific this software/hardware error is. Is your library mounted on a USB drive attached to the Aries, as is mine? Am wondering if this is a drive latency issue.

Cheers

Nope, streaming off a Mac Mini using minimserver.

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

I am getting this error message quite frequently as of late. Anyone else with a similar issue?

I've seen it. The cause had usually been MinimServer needing a nudge - usually after my Synology NAS auto-updates.

Which server are you using?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Several months ago I reported that Roon made the Aries unstable. That was during my free trial so I just let it lapse without purchasing a subscription.

With the release of Roon v1.2, I decided to give it another try. Glad I did - it's been rock-solid. I've been using Roon exclusively. It works great and I absolutely love it.

The key benefit it provides that I don't get with LDS is the automated journey through my music library via the feature they call Roon Radio.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Several months ago I reported that Roon made the Aries unstable. That was during my free trial so I just let it lapse without purchasing a subscription.

With the release of Roon v1.2, I decided to give it another try. Glad I did - it's been rock-solid. I've been using Roon exclusively. It works great and I absolutely love it.

The key benefit it provides that I don't get with LDS is the automated journey through my music library via the feature they call Roon Radio.

I tried Roon about month or so ago and really liked the layout and functionality but ended up canceling because I thought the sound quality on LDS was a bit better.

Wonder with roon 1.2 if it's improved...

I tried Roon about month or so ago and really liked the layout and functionality but ended up canceling because I thought the sound quality on LDS was a bit better.

Wonder with roon 1.2 if it's improved...

I can't say I've heard a difference. It would take some focused listening to tease out the differences- something I've not tried.

Even if LDS had the edge, I'd still use Roon as it can take me on a journey of unexplored music in my library. I could always flip back to LDS if I wanted to dive more deeply into something in particular. But I've yet to feel the need to leave Roon.

Mr. Kenny B,

Using LDS with the Aries using a directly attached USB drive....(jitterbug and AQ Carbon USB from the drive). no upno, or updp or whatever it's called. Too much the simpleton for multilayered software packages serving my tunes

Best

WDW

Using LDS with the Aries using a directly attached USB drive....(jitterbug and AQ Carbon USB from the drive). no upno, or updp or whatever it's called. Too much the simpleton for multilayered software packages serving my tunes

Best

WDW

Auralic support is your best bet.

That you are seeing this with increasing frequency makes me wonder if your USB drive isn't acting up. Be sure you have a really good backup.

I recently had a Seagate external drive get flaky on me and it had to be replaced.

Auralic support is your best bet.

That you are seeing this with increasing frequency makes me wonder if your USB drive isn't acting up. Be sure you have a really good backup.

I recently had a Seagate external drive get flaky on me and it had to be replaced.

To quote Miguelito;

Trudat.

Have contacted Aurelic, they are mindful of the issue but ?

Wanted other owner's experiences and t_ram confirms my suspicions...a larger issue than has been reported to date.

There really is a step up in sound quality when streaming from Qobuz.

What is?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond