IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Did you rewire and get ethernet outlets installed or get a powerline or wireless bridge/ access point solution from which the ethernet went to your Aries?

My house was wired when I purchased it, with phone and Ethernet jacks in most rooms.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 2 weeks later...

For those here still using the Aries (who have not moved on to the microRendu yet)

Current Beta Version: 4.0.Beta3 (Released on 24th June 2016)

New Features since Version 3.3:

• Proud to introduce Lightning playback engine V2.
  • Introducing bit-perfect Group Play up to DXD and DSD256. To create a group, open device list on iPad side bar, press and hold the device that you want it to be master, then select 'Create Zone'. Please press '...' icon on iPhone for same operation.
  • Introducing Memory Cache. Memory Cache feature will pre-load track into device memory (not SSD!) to achieve better sound quality, it also helps to improve streaming stability. Memory Cache size for ARIES/ARIES LE: 512MB; ARIES MINI: 64MB. Memory Cache function does not work under Internet Radio, AirPlay, Songcast, Bluetooth and Roon input method because of the data is streamed in real time from host device.
  • Now supports multi-channel PCM and DSD files as well as multi channel USB DAC. We can output 5.1 surrounding track into a 6 channel USB DAC or the FL, FR only to a 2 channel device. This also resolve the compatibility problem with USB DAC contains more than 2 channel, like ARK MX+, NAD M51.
  • Adding 'Buffering' playback status, (currently only work on iPhone version).
  • Report current playing's file type in Lightning DS.
  • Add DAC output phase, channel balance and ARIES MINI LED brightness adjustment (Request LDS 3.1 to work).

Fixes since Version 3.3:

• Unable to write USB drive content through SMB share if the USB drive is in exFAT format.
  • Device been unmuted after sampling rate changed (ARIES MINI)
  • Fix bug related to 'Add Next' function
  • Device will wait at 176.4K or 352.8K rather than DSD64 or DSD128 when DAC Delay function is enabled.
  • Certain kinds of 24bit AIF files will be reported as 32bit due to decoder bug.

Improvement since Version 3.3:

• (Dramatic) Sound quality improvement when play music through Lightning DS or other uPnP control software. (No sound quality change under Internet Radio, AirPlay, Songcast, Bluetooth and Roon input method because of the data is streamed in real time from host device).

Known Issues:

• Device may not work with particular type of USB drive in Mac OS X journaled format.
  • Device may not work with particular type of USB drive or SSD drive which request power over 5V/500mA.
  • USB DACs running on Wavelength USB firmware can not use USB playback function due to a confirmed bug of Wavelength USB firmware under Linux. The known effected brands are: Ayre, Aesthetix and Berkeley Audio.
  • Disable "DSD over PCM" only works on USB DACs that support sampling rate to 352.8K.

It would be interesting to see if the self proclaimed "dramatic" sonic improvements from memory caching playback which is RAM based and not disk based like Aurender actually play out as claimed.

GroupPlay is multiroom, play on a few devices the same music at same time (partyyyyy :-) )

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone

I downloaded this new Beta today. Haven't had a chance to give it good listen as yet, but I emailed Auralic asking this same question and within a few minutes I got back the following:

"It's completely automatic. Let me know if you hear a sound quality difference. It works on Tidal/Qobuz also."

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

How do you update to 4.0

Since the v4.0 is still in beta you have to register to participate in Auralic's beta testing programme.

Use the link below:

How to Participate in Beta Testing – AURALIC LIMITED

Is it safe to do this or should I wait?

I ran the process remotely from my iPad today; all went well. My Aries downloaded the software, rebooted and I am now listening to the new version.

First impression: system sounds quieter, smoother, and more natural.

What happens if they find bugs in the 4.0V do you have to redownload. I've never tried a Beta version with anything.

If you have to ask you should probably not mess with the beta and wait for the official release.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

If you have to ask you should probably not mess with the beta and wait for the official release.

+1

Well if I don't ask I'll never no. You had to learn some how. I'll wait...

And then what happens when you encounter the first problem?

Running pre-production code is best left to the users who have an easy time finding ways to work around any issues they may encounter.

No problem.. Like I said I'll wait...Thanks

Smart. Heck I do this stuff for a living and yet I stay far, far away from beta code at home.

FW4.0Beta3 sounds better IMO.

Yes, Memory Cache is permanently on. I was confused, thinking that the new Buffering status function on iPhone app should show me the progress of buffering during normal playback. This is not the case. Auralic explained:

"No, it is another thing, when you experience a network connection interrupt, the place where display sampling rate will switch to 'Buffering...' to tell you the playback pause is due to buffering status"

I am puzzled that I see no replies in this Aries hardware thread where anyone has tried SD card as USB library source. Has anyone else tried using class 10 SD cards in Aries USB slot vs using NAS source or other library solution? I'm finding it superior for music resolution to SSD in NAS, SSD in USB attached controller... no more background muttering on 16 bit recording details, all sharp. Main pitfall of this is commercial size limit for SD card (256/512 gb).

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I am puzzled that I see no replies in this Aries hardware thread where anyone has tried SD card as USB library source. Has anyone else tried using class 10 SD cards in Aries USB slot vs using NAS source or other library solution? I'm finding it superior for music resolution to SSD in NAS, SSD in USB attached controller... no more background muttering on 16 bit recording details, all sharp. Main pitfall of this is commercial size limit for SD card (256/512 gb).

I haven't tried yet but it doesn't surprise me that it's better in audio quality .

Problem is I have 1000gb in music .

I went back to firmware 3.3 cause i like the sound of the old FW more, 4.03beta is a bit to much high resolution in my system.

For me, i hope, the work for the sound is still in progress till FW4.0

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone