IGNORED

Favorite version of the song Fever?

Boring, but I like Springsteen's.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

It was sort of a joke. Guess it was a bad one.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

no no, I had actually forgotten this tune from Bruce Springsteen's early period, good to get reminded, and having a little fun, is always fine, I can take a joke, and the Fever tune has at least a resemblance in mood to the Peggy lee tune.

Here is an even better version from the lost tapes;[video=youtube;k1w515W-vOc]

I'll stick with Peggy Lee's original version as my favourite, thank you.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

There are some standards on the set that knocked me over with their fresh approach. Any singer can misplace a few accents and rhythms and come up with something that's original, but perhaps also uneasy and a little strange. Not Gomes, who has taken the songs to their bones and then restructured them to suit her style. Thus "Fever" doesn't sound like a cover of Peggy Lee; it sounds like a brand new take on a familiar song. You emerge from hearing it not thinking it's better or lesser than Lee's version, but that it's a valid new interpretation that could have come first.
from Rad Bennett's SoundStage review of Carmen Gomes and the ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' album.
What is your favorite version of Peggy Lee's Fever?

I like this one;

It is not the same version as the one from the Hi-Res download, but the same arrangement. Hi-res version;Thousand Shades of Blue (FLAC)scroll down and listen to track 6.

Peggy Lee, very fast version;

no no, I had actually forgotten this tune from Bruce Springsteen's early period, good to get reminded, and having a little fun, is always fine, I can take a joke, and the Fever tune has at least a resemblance in mood to the Peggy lee tune.

Here is an even better version from the lost tapes;[video=youtube;k1w515W-vOc]

I do not want to take the thread off topic but is there a studio version of the Boss singing ''The Fever''? if so which album?

I do not want to take the thread off topic but is there a studio version of the Boss singing ''The Fever''? if so which album?

The version on 18 Tracks sounds like it's recorded in a studio.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Peggy Lee, very fast version;

The Peggy Lee version is an absolute classic.

Jack Sperling on the drums is fantastic with his bare hands!

Peggy Lee's timing is spot on!

Musicophile that Elvis version is pretty darn good too.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I've been waiting for someone to object to the phrase "Peggy Lee's Fever".

Little Willie John laid down the original March 1, 1955. Miss Lee did her pale cover version in 1958, after "cleaning up" the lyrics which were way too sexy for her delicate sensibilities.

The original is still the greatest.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Little Willie John laid down the original March 1, 1955. Miss Lee did her pale cover version in 1958, after "cleaning up" the lyrics which were way too sexy for her delicate sensibilities.

Great info Al Jones. Just looked up the LWJ version on Youtube

Tragic story of Little Willie John though - talent lost too early. And yes it's the real deal.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Respectfully disagree. One of the reasons Peggy Lee's version is so famous is that it is brimming with the pentup passion/sexuality that the song is about. Little Willie John's version is very well sung, but it doesn't come close to bringing out the meaning of the lyrics the way Peggy Lee's version does. She sounds like she has the "fever"; he sounds like a very good singer doing a very good job of singing the song.

It's easy to tell if you're listening to original lyrics or censored lyrics.

If there are verses about Captain Smith and Pocahontas and Romeo and Juliet (Elvis, Valerie Joyce, etc.), that's the Peggy Lee clean-up. If not (Eva Cassidy, Bobby Bland, etc.), that's the original.

It makes a huge difference. Peggy Lee's revision is a simple "Ours is one of history's great romances" tale, while the original is a personal description of the physical and emotional symptoms of the fever.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

After Peggy and Eva - some interesting takes by:

Petra Magoni(Musica Nuda)

James Brown

Dave's True Story

and a great example - Ray Charles/Natalie Cole

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

Wow, I thought that Peggy Lee wrote it. but what a story!

Little Willie John did not like this song and did not want to record it. He particularly did not like the finger-snapping/handclaps but supposedly the producer said something to the effect, "You record this or you don't record nothin'!" Anyway, he was dropped by his record company in 1964, allegedly for his alcoholism and bad temper. He skipped bail in August of that year in Miami, after assaulting a man with a broken bottle. In October, he played the Magic Inn Club in Seattle, already very drunk onstage, then partied more at with a couple local women at an illicit after-hours den. After being punched in the mouth by a huge (6’ 2” / 200 pound) ex-con railroad worker, he stabbed him. Charges were reduced to manslaughter, sentenced 8-to-20 yrs at Walla Walla State Penitentiary in 1966. During his incarceration John reportedly got into a few more fights, was abused by guards, made some new buddies, wrote songs, and even performed a number of times for his fellow inmates. It was after reporting to the infirmary with pneumonia and then being locked into a Maximum Security isolation room that John died on May 26, 1968, at the age of 30. His official death certificate stated the cause as being a “heart attack.” Others suspected he’d been beaten, and some have stated he expired from neglect.

Is this the original? I don't hear any differnt lyrics.

[video=youtube;i93-hlwULUk]

d51023611900e7bbfb5f86de5eb5f5f3c112486e

Kenny Burrel and Jimmy Smith version on Blue Bash! album.

-

Mac mini 2.3 Ghz i7 16gb Ram with Mojo Audio Joule III PSU(2T SSD) -> Audioquest Diamond USB -> dCS Vivaldi DAC (Shunyata Alpha Digital) -> Transparent XL Gen5 XLR -> Classé CA-M600 -> Audioquest OAK single biwire -> B&W 802D3. Software: Mac OSX El Captain, Audirvana 2.2, Amarra Symphony IRC, Roon. Storage: Lacie 5big Network 2 5T. Power Conditioner: Shunyata Triton + Typhon.