IGNORED

HQ Player

Another topic because I'm just noticing:

24 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 1.07.14 AM.png

What does the display in the HQP desktop mean in the bar below:

"Offload: resampler = disabled convolution = disabled"

For me it appears very briefly and then it is gone. Convolution is definitely activated audibly in my case.

Hi Miska, I'm a big fan of HQP and I'd like to suggest one minor change. When converting from PCM to SDM I dont' have any problems with redbook or high res as I choose a lighter filter fot nx but, since my dac (as most dacs) can't reproduce 48k dsd, my 48khz files start skipping as 48-44 is much more demanding on the processor than same family conversions. My suggestion is: When you don't tick the 48k DSD box, the player could render 48khz files with the same filter as nx as oposed to the redbook one, if that makes sense.
Best Regards and keep the good work

Victor

42 minutes ago, Dexavator said:

Hi Miska, I'm a big fan of HQP and I'd like to suggest one minor change. When converting from PCM to SDM I dont' have any problems with redbook or high res as I choose a lighter filter fot nx but, since my dac (as most dacs) can't reproduce 48k dsd, my 48khz files start skipping as 48-44 is much more demanding on the processor than same family conversions. My suggestion is: When you don't tick the 48k DSD box, the player could render 48khz files with the same filter as nx as oposed to the redbook one, if that makes sense.
Best Regards and keep the good work

Victor

In that scenario I just manually adjust DSD rate in client to a multiple of 48, and all runs smoothly...

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

4 hours ago, DomiJi said:

Can maybe someone give me a short advice if i should enable or disable the MQA Core Decoder in Roon for the best performance of the HQPlayer?

In my opinion, anyone who uses Roon with the HQPlayer should deactivate the Roon DSP. This also applies to MQA. Otherwise Roon will decode the first level to 88.2 / 96kHz from a 44.1 / 48kHz file despite the deactivated DSP.

The HQPlayer algorithms are so much better.

4 hours ago, DomiJi said:

Can maybe someone give me a short advice if i should enable or disable the MQA Core Decoder in Roon for the best performance of the HQPlayer?

image.png.752ac658405d88c0daf5a2c6d8915176.png

I'm not fond of MQA but MQA files are made to "sound best" when decoded so I would say yes, leave it on. AFAIK HQP can kinda process MQA but only files, not streams from Roon. If you listen to a lot of mqa files you can use the mqa filter in hqp also, that works after the decoding process.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Let Roon decode MQA before passing it to HQPlayer. This gives technically best results.

MQA can only be decoded by software up to a maximum of 88.2 / 96kHz. With MQA 352.8kHz, for example, a large part is not decoded. Is that the best technical solution or is it better to play 44.1kHz lossless instead?

42117285vx.png

20 hours ago, Dexavator said:

Thank you but its not an option if your dac doesn't support 48k rate DSD, and most dacs don't, only options are multiples of 44.1 (2.8224 or 5.6448) in my case.

Also select adaptive output rate,

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

What is an adequate or perhaps maximum advisable processing activity?

My Mac mini is at 78-80% when doing DSD256>ext3>ASDM5EC and a little EQ.

The DAC is connected over USB to a NAA.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Would appreciate advice on preferred Linux settings when using Roon+HQPlayer embedded on same computer

What would be the preferred settings:

1. Dual core with multi thread enabled/disabled?

Or:

2. CPU c-state set to “no sleep”

as I understand both can’t be enabled together. 

would also appreciate understanding if core isolation/dedication is recommended or not. 

many thanks. 

4 hours ago, christoph said:

I did as well but roon almost always preferring Tidal made me sign out of Tidal for good

Did Roon simply switch to Qobuz Songs and are the Music recommendations as good as with Tidal (or Tidal+Qobuz)?

I have sometimes the feeling that the Roon recommendations are better with Roon and Tidal?!