IGNORED

HQ Player

9 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

So I have a question... What are the optimal settings for HQP to downsample a DSD256 download to DSD128 for playback? I bought this in DSD256 because that's the original format and though my DAC can play it back, my NAA can only do DSD128.

1992681408_ScreenShot2021-10-07at10_24_59PM.png.3e8f0a0cac2f283ce053b497aa834828.png

Apologies for not answering your question, but I'm wondering if Channel does the conversion to DSD128 with HQP Pro. If so, the conversion is quite likely to have been done with optimal settings.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Apologies for not answering your question, but I'm wondering if Channel does the conversion to DSD128 with HQP Pro. If so, the conversion is quite likely to have been done with optimal settings.

I have no clue. I bought it from NativeDSD and this is what it says, no mention of what was used to convert it to lower resolutions.

This is a Pure DSD release. This album was recorded, mixed, and balanced in Stereo & Multichannel DSD 256 using Brüel & Kjær 4006 and Schoeps microphones, 3T Van den Hul cables, Rens Heijnis custom mixing board, Grimm Audio LS1 speakers and Pyramix Workstation software and the Horus Analog to Digital Converter from Merging Technologies at DSD 256. No post-production has been done. Shaping Chopin stayed within the DSD domain throughout.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

So I have a question... What are the optimal settings for HQP to downsample a DSD256 download to DSD128 for playback? I bought this in DSD256 because that's the original format and though my DAC can play it back, my NAA can only do DSD128.

Default settings are pretty good, you have two rate conversion algorithms to choose from. And number of integrators, I'd get started with the three IIR ones. Use either ASDM5EC or ASDM7EC modulator.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

though my DAC can play it back, my NAA can only do DSD128

I am wondering. Your DAC allows DSD256 but your NAA not? Some audio device driver issue?

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
42 minutes ago, Khordo said:

Small question here regarding bit depth in the settings.

I have an Audio-gd R28 (R2R Dac). In the settings i put 20 bits for my DAC. Don't ask me why....i have no clue...

How do i know what is the 'correct' value to use for this setting ?

You need linearity sweep measurement as basis. And even better if you can then later verify the settings with measurements.

Pick the point from sweep where linearity begins to deviate from straight line. Then calculate how many bits it is:

log2(10^(x / 20))

Where x is the dB value where the deviation begins. Round down the result to full bits.

16 minutes ago, DomiJi said:

How did you managed to get that working? 😅

When i select CoreAudio for both input and output it isnt working :-(

@MiskaDo you may have an advice?

Thank you very much :-)

image.png

that much I can help me think : output and imput must be different. Beyond that point I too am very interested by how to do

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Looks OK to me. I've only tested with real hardware inputs, but this shouldn't be any different.

Do you get some error when loading the input URI? Or when starting playback?

HQPlayer told me that Input and Output could not be the same (CoreAudio).

5 minutes ago, DomiJi said:

HQPlayer simply doesn't play the music. I've selected Blackhole as my output device in Apple Music. In the HQPlayer options i select CoreAudio (BlackHole 2ch) as an input and CoreAudio (USB DAC) as my Output. 

And what happens when you try to load the input URI to transport? Any errors at that point? And what happens when you try to start HQPlayer playback? Any errors at that point?

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

And what happens when you try to load the input URI to transport? Any errors at that point? And what happens when you try to start HQPlayer playback? Any errors at that point?

I have selected audio:default/44100/2 but nothing happens. and no errors appear. But i can play totally fine through Roon.

My experience on Windows:

• If I turned DAC on or connected it to PC after I started HQPlayer, I need to go to Settings dialog and confirm it without any change before starting playback for for example audio:default/44100/2
  • If there is too less free RAM available, HQPlayer may simply not start the playback without any message. It happened me more times that for example after closing Firefox it started successfully.
i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500