IGNORED

HQ Player

4 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Conclusion

For me the EC modulator ASDM7EC is only really good with DSD 256.

Can your i9-9900K do PCM192kHz to DSD256x48 with ASDM7EC modulator, with ext2 filter?

And which fanless case and motherboard, if you don't mind me asking?

16 hours ago, Miska said:

This runs filters on the GPU and only modulators on CPU. Since the CPU is just quad-core, it is fully busy with the modulators and such. If it stutters occasionally, ASDM5EC is probably just about lighter enough that it may work fine.

Thank you, you’re right: no stutters with ASDM5EC with these settings. Problem is that I prefer 7th order modulator! Still, it’s lovely for now. 

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

It is not clear for me from re-reading your post – did you try direct ethernet cable connection between server computer and NAA endpoint (server -> endpoint) without bridging to router, or there is still bridging of the kind: router -> server -> endpoint ?

Sorry for not being more clear.  I am not bridging.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

1 hour ago, brother love said:

ASDM7EC (CPU usage :  35%) 1-2 sec. silence after 30 sec. of play before resuming, ASDM5EC (CPU usage :  29%) plays & sounds great!  I have buffer time set to default... maybe increasing time helps? 

Pink Faun writes, "Well, and most importantly, with Linux, we can reach an incredibly low latency (audio latency and processor latency). Because the latency is so low in the streamer 2.16 (audio latency at 192 kHz <2 , 67 ms on AMD Ryzen processor and high quality digital audio interface. Audio latency at 44.1 kHz <1 ms depending on hardware configuration." Looks Streamer 2.16

I believe it and I'm not far from that. In my system (Windows 10 Pro) I make sure to keep the latencies as low as possible. I set in the Asio driver the lowest value with 128 samples = 1.5 ms.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Did you try various ethernet cables for direct? 

I am just using a short Blue Jean CAT 6a cable.  I am planning on trying a Ghent JSSG etherrnet cable soon though.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

41 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I am just using a short Blue Jean CAT 6a cable.  I am planning on trying a Ghent JSSG etherrnet cable soon though.

Just playing today with Supra Cat7+ and Supra Cat8 in the same setting. Think I like 7+ today.

Added: Not sure what JSSG adds to ethernet cable, but, do you know Miska's recommendations on ethernet jacks? My Supra Cat7+ have no shielding connected to jacks.

12 hours ago, JTS said:

Sounds great. Scratch that, sound amazing. poly-sinc-xtr-mp>ADSM7EC>RME ADI-2 DACfs DSD direct>ZDTJ>HD650 (late night configuration)

Similar preference for me:  poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s>ADSM7EC, runs with cpu <= 20% and sounds great at 128. Stutters on my i7-7700 4.2 Ghz however when I try 256. Perhaps next release post-optimizations, but I am pretty darn happy for now (sorry for the strong language 😜)

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

17 minutes ago, Miska said:

It is also important to keep it high enough that it doesn't enter into audio range.

1 ms buffer switching period means 1 kHz noise. 100 ms buffer switching period means 10 Hz noise.

This is a fascinating comment.  I thought it was best to keep the buffer as small as possible.  But what you are saying is that we need to actually increase the buffer to at least 100ms???

Other components:

4 minutes ago, tboooe said:

This is a fascinating comment.  I thought it was best to keep the buffer as small as possible.  But what you are saying is that we need to actually increase the buffer to at least 100ms???

My recommendation is 100ms. This keeps activity period outside of audio frequencies and doesn't have much overhead.

For NAA backend, leave it at "Default" unless you have a good reason to do otherwise. With ASIO, leave the setting at "Default" in HQPlayer and adjust the buffer size from the ASIO driver control panel. At least something that would correspond to 100 ms, or otherwise as large as possible (taking into account the sampling rate you are going to use). With CoreAudio, macOS handles all this business for you...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

My recommendation is 100ms. This keeps activity period outside of audio frequencies and doesn't have much overhead.

For NAA backend, leave it at "Default" unless you have a good reason to do otherwise. With ASIO, leave the setting at "Default" in HQPlayer and adjust the buffer size from the ASIO driver control panel. At least something that would correspond to 100 ms, or otherwise as large as possible (taking into account the sampling rate you are going to use). With CoreAudio, macOS handles all this business for you...

Ok so if I am understanding correctly I should leave buffer as default in HQP but adjust the buffer setting in my USB driver control panel that is running on my NAA pc?

Other components:

1 minute ago, tboooe said:

Ok so if I am understanding correctly I should leave buffer as default in HQP but adjust the buffer setting in my USB driver control panel that is running on my NAA pc?

Yes, if that is a Windows machine using ASIO driver. If it is something else, you don't need to do anything.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

25 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, if that is a Windows machine using ASIO driver. If it is something else, you don't need to do anything.

Thank you...I just checked an my ASIO USB driver buffer setting maxes out at 32,768 samples.  Since I am converting to DSD512, that is no where near the 100ms buffer setting you suggest.  Should I instead use the HQP buffer settings instead?  If I do use the HQP buffer settings what should I set the ASIO buffer to or does it matter since the HQP buffer setting will override anyway?

Other components:

1 hour ago, tboooe said:

Thank you...I just checked an my ASIO USB driver buffer setting maxes out at 32,768 samples.  Since I am converting to DSD512, that is no where near the 100ms buffer setting you suggest.  Should I instead use the HQP buffer settings instead?  If I do use the HQP buffer settings what should I set the ASIO buffer to or does it matter since the HQP buffer setting will override anyway?

After messing around with the buffer settings in my Singxer USB control panel, I notice that when I set the buffer settings to 32,768 samples and play music at DSD512, the latency information shown by the control panel says that the input latency is approx 50ms (~1 million samples).  Is 50ms in the audible range?

Other components:

These 2 settings in my Singxer SU-1 produce equivalent CPU / GPU utilization. Is one sonically preferred to the other?1414476822_SU-1-1.jpg.08c20f1897fc888147a356cde9af0a54.jpg

1792674055_SU-1-2.jpg.b33171c21332f3213899b0368bdf27e3.jpg

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi