IGNORED

HQ Player

EC modulators are mysterious - on the I5-8600T (3.5GHz boots mode, low TDP CPU) on Windows Server 2019 with buffer settings 250ms I can upsample any bitrate  (44.1k, 48kHz...192kHz) to 11.2896Mhz with ASDM5EC poly-ext2 with near 100%  CPU load without shuttering i n long time , on Ubuntu Server (various kernels)  I got shutters.

Miska---when I referred to the NAA script I was referring to something that I downloaded from the signalyst site. It opens the terminal and runs something. It is 3.5.6.1. Maybe mistakenly I had referred to that as a script.  Can you point me to where I can download the NAA you think I should be using.  Maybe I just started completely wrong. Thanks for your patience.

44 minutes ago, Ernie said:

Miska---when I referred to the NAA script I was referring to something that I downloaded from the signalyst site. It opens the terminal and runs something. It is 3.5.6.1. Maybe mistakenly I had referred to that as a script.  Can you point me to where I can download the NAA you think I should be using.  Maybe I just started completely wrong. Thanks for your patience.

If you downloaded networkaudiod-3561.zip it contains just license file and single executable binary. If you want to start it with other settings, you need to open terminal and set some environment variable values before starting the executable. This can be also written as a script.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you want to start it with other settings, you need to open terminal and set some environment variable values before starting the executable. This can be also written as a script.

How to do?

I only changed the macOS NAA 3561 file name to “NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 networkaudiod” and opened in Terminal. I did nothing else in Terminal.

I now realise this might not have been what you meant? Maybe that’s why I also had issues with 3561?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/13649-hqplayers-network-audio-adapter/?do=findComment&comment=974209

1 minute ago, Em2016 said:

I only changed the macOS NAA 3561 file name to “NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 networkaudiod” and opened in Terminal. I did nothing else in Terminal.

I now realise this might not have been what you meant? Maybe that’s why I also had issues with 3561?

No, changing the file name won't change anything. You need to have that as the command. You can replace the simple "networkaudiod" with full path version. But for future, it is probably simpler to copy the binary to /usr/local/bin since that should be in search path by default.

Alternatively you can first do "export NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0" and then start the binary, but the first one sets the value and starts the binary on single command.

28 minutes ago, Miska said:

No, changing the file name won't change anything. You need to have that as the command. You can replace the simple "networkaudiod" with full path version. But for future, it is probably simpler to copy the binary to /usr/local/bin since that should be in search path by default.

Alternatively you can first do "export NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0" and then start the binary, but the first one sets the value and starts the binary on single command.

And we have lift-off with macOS 3561 on Mojave 😃

Thanks Jussi.

Any reason why this ""export NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0" can't be automatic, when opening the "networkaudiod" file?

@Ernie follow the 1st two lines of my screenshot below, in Terminal. You'll need to change the address, depending where you "networkaudiod" file is living on your Mac.

462498554_ScreenShot2019-07-23at7_43_56am.thumb.png.f53004a72bd6457f13446dc209c0f527.png

2102031136_ScreenShot2019-07-23at7_44_13am.thumb.png.b2722552a482c78ce1e2dd38633e4b37.png

I am clearly in over my head so I am going to tell you exactly what I tried and you hopefully can find the mistake.

1)opened terminal and entered command "export NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0" . Clicked box to run in shell

2)double clicked 3.5.6.1 NAA binary---new terminal window opened and process ran (looks the same as the one I sent you that you interpreted as a IPv6 failure

3)chose network audio adapter as backend on HQPlayer

4) found no device in the dropdown below

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

If you are just using that Mac as a dedicated NAA, why not simply boot it with Miska's Linux NAA image?

Yep it's not just a dedicated NAA...  I'm using Mojove for other stuff too.

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Sounds a lot better that way.  Same for HQP Emebedded versus HQP Desktop on a dedicated machine. :D

It sounds really good. And I have multiple dedicated NAA's already 😉

Like most people these days, I don't just have one listening setup...

3 minutes ago, Ernie said:

I am clearly in over my head so I am going to tell you exactly what I tried and you hopefully can find the mistake.

1)opened terminal and entered command "export NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0" . Clicked box to run in shell

2)double clicked 3.5.6.1 NAA binary---new terminal window opened and process ran (looks the same as the one I sent you that you interpreted as a IPv6 failure

3)chose network audio adapter as backend on HQPlayer

4) found no device in the dropdown below

No, as per 1st two lines of my screenshot, need to do both commands in the same Terminal window.

Don't double click the binary file - enter the command. As mentioned, you'll need to mod the local of your file, not just copy the address of mine. Use my screenshot as a guide.

17 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Any reason why this ""export NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0" can't be automatic, when opening the "networkaudiod" file?

Because it defaults to NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=1 which is much better. But for unknown problem cases it can be disabled.

If you want to adjust name NAA presents out, you can set it with something like NETWORKAUDIOD_NAME="mynaa"

There is not really good reason to run NAA on a monster OS like Windows or macOS, but it works so it is there...

14 minutes ago, Ernie said:

This applies only to the shell context where you run it. Not to another terminal window.

15 minutes ago, Ernie said:

Here it opens another terminal environment that is independent of the one where you did (1).

You can modify what goes into your shell environment as default by modifying for example ".profile" file in your home folder. But don't do it if you are not sure what you are doing, otherwise you may get lot of adverse side effects...

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

That is not so much related sound quality, rather convenience... ;)

Yes and that's the good reason for having macOS NAA (in my setup). And a side comment was it sounds great too!

Can switch between HQP audio and 'other' macOS audio.

HQP is running on Embedded box, not on the Mac.

I have the same working when I switch to Windows on the same Macbook.

With all this talk about the linux NAA image, I thought I might give it a try on my mac mini that i use solely as an naa to drive my SU-1/Holo Spring. Currently the mini is running windows 10 with the Holo Spring ASIO drivers. Is there any sonic benefit to running @miska's Linux NAA image? Is it this file, "naa-3561-x64.7z"?

20 hours ago, rando said:

I'm not Miska, but would this not be the only sensible way to remove software upsampling inside HQP? 

Personally I'd use a different bit perfect program instead of listening through HQP in this fashion.  One without the expressed singular objective of upsampling inside it.  

i would disagree here.

i use no upsampling but  find that an NAA gives a better sound (e.g. in a Rendu product) that streaming from a bit perfect program that forces the rendering to be done at the Rendu.

YMMV

On 7/21/2019 at 11:20 PM, Ernie said:

My first issue seems to have been solved. i tried setting the hgplayer bitrate limit to 44.1X128 instead of 48X128. And the dac display showed the appropriate output. Hope this was a correct solution?

next, on to my NAA issue :)

Miska--This solution is no longer working. Even with limit set at 44.1X128, any file with higher res than 44.1 results in 192 PCM showing in the dac display. Hi res files downsampled to 44.1 work fine, but obviously I don't want to do that. I am not sure why this problem has reemerged. BTW...I have given up on the NAA thing, but I would like to solve this upsampling issue. It was my primary reason for purchasing

thanks again

6 hours ago, JTS said:

With all this talk about the linux NAA image, I thought I might give it a try on my mac mini that i use solely as an naa to drive my SU-1/Holo Spring. Currently the mini is running windows 10 with the Holo Spring ASIO drivers. Is there any sonic benefit to running @miska's Linux NAA image? Is it this file, "naa-3561-x64.7z"?

Yes, this is NAA image. You may burn it on a usb stick and boot your mini. 

2 hours ago, Ernie said:

Miska--This solution is no longer working. Even with limit set at 44.1X128, any file with higher res than 44.1 results in 192 PCM showing in the dac display. Hi res files downsampled to 44.1 work fine, but obviously I don't want to do that. I am not sure why this problem has reemerged.

Keep the limit set set to 44.1k x128 and make sure you have not enabled "Adaptive output rate". You also need to pay attention to which filter you have selected. Not all filters can convert between rate families, so take a look at the table in the manual and only use filters that say "Any" as possible conversion factor.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Keep the limit set set to 44.1k x128 and make sure you have not enabled "Adaptive output rate". You also need to pay attention to which filter you have selected. Not all filters can convert between rate families, so take a look at the table in the manual and only use filters that say "Any" as possible conversion factor.

@Miska Please could you explain the Filter Ratios?

Integer: only 48kHz, 96kHz, etc.?

Integer up: ?

2*: ?

2* up: ?

thanks

Would like to report that my current system works great (and smoothly) at DSD256 with the new EC modular, My CPU is a 6700k overclocked to 4.8G and GPU is GTX1080. Music flow as follow:

Tidal -> Roon -> HQPlayer -> sinc-16M -> AMSDM7EC -> DSD256 -> WiFi Mesh -> WiFi AP -> MinnowBoard x64 NAA -> iBassio DX220 -> Focal Utopia

I think the above setting is the most computation intense you can get at DSD256 level, but no matter how I tried, could not get DSD512 working smoothly with EC modular. @Miska Could you please explain a bit more on what EC does? since I'm using Sinc-16m which is not apodizing, would EC modular help correcting some recording error since this filter doesn't correct it?

41 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Would like to report that my current system works great (and smoothly) at DSD256 with the new EC modular, My CPU is a 6700k overclocked to 4.8G and GPU is GTX1080. Music flow as follow:

Tidal -> Roon -> HQPlayer -> sinc-16M -> AMSDM7EC -> DSD256 -> WiFi Mesh -> WiFi AP -> MinnowBoard x64 NAA -> iBassio DX220 -> Focal Utopia

I think the above setting is the most computation intense you can get at DSD256 level, but no matter how I tried, could not get DSD512 working smoothly with EC modular. @Miska Could you please explain a bit more on what EC does? since I'm using Sinc-16m which is not apodizing, would EC modular help correcting some recording error since this filter doesn't correct it?

don't know and hope Jussi will reply but I'm using non apodizing filters (minringfir lp, hb2s, ) more with EC

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Miska..looks like it was the filter. I was using poly sinc ext.  When I switched to ext 2 all was good

thanks!