IGNORED

HQ Player

SQ report on D 4.1

beats Embedded by a wider margin than E used to beat D4 IMO with my rig.... puzzling...

beefier, incredibly detailed (up to showing oddities and even franker harshness sometimes, but for the good I think)

huge difference on 24/44 classical piano (ext2/ASDM5EC/SDM 128)

@Miska won't probably comment if it's normal or delusional so hope others will do the comparison

might have come from a better usage of multi core, as announced, but since I can't do 192 EC convolution with D4, I doubt

other factors :

Park Control for D4 (no parking of cpu cores)

only WIFI when doing D4 while the machine is, via a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor, CATT6 UTP wired to the same switch (Time Capsule) that feeds, wired the same, the NAA machine + there's a USB port powered HDD connected as music source (since this morning had to let go the MBP13 with Audirvana as a wifi front end)

@Miska: should I try to connect the Embedded machine via WIFi as well, how? or improvements are coming to Embedded as well?

36 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

but then we'll also need entries per music style mastering style and maybe even a mood detector

Oh yeah, that would be phase 2, 🙂

We can also have the player software (roon, stylus) to pass tag genre info to HQP and HQP automatically play that specific track with a selected filter for that genre. 

8 minutes ago, luisma said:

Oh yeah, that would be phase 2, 🙂

We can also have the player software (roon, stylus) to pass tag genre info to HQP and HQP automatically play that specific track with a selected filter for that genre. 

Great idea! Count me in 👍

1 hour ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

but then we'll also need entries per music style mastering style and maybe even a mood detector.

I have become quick in fiddling with filters; this being, I think I would fill a table with settings for 44 48 88 96 176 192 (ie I can do minringfir lp only with n44)

That sounds like a lot. I just wanted to expand the existing 1x and Nx settings. Because of EC, "one size fits all" for modulator & sample rate is not as practical as it used to be.

HQP Desktop users are just now getting to try out the EC filters. You'll see what I mean.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

1 minute ago, k6davis said:

That sounds like a lot. I just wanted to expand the existing 1x and Nx settings. Because of EC, "one size fits all" for modulator & sample rate is not as practical as it used to be.

HQP Desktop users are just now getting to try out the EC filters. You'll see what I mean.

yes, let's see! as a matter of fact I've lost 192 capability I had with E with D. Have you compared the SQ?

1 minute ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

yes, let's see! as a matter of fact I've lost 192 capability I had with E with D. Have you compared the SQ?

No, I haven't. I "only" have D3 and E4. So I just use E4 on HQP OS. It's so easy to use. 

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

8 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

that was the invitation : to trial D4.1 and compare the SQ to E4 on HQPOS

So easy to uses, agreed, with 3 computers or at least 2 if no NAA, but now I prefer D4's SQ

Gotcha. I'll give it a try. It'll take a while. I'll need to clone my optimized Windows Server OS back onto an SSD first.

Miska, thank you for the new playground! 😁

I tried all three EC filters. ASDMSEC works well with DSD 256. It's now in my system the maximum. It sounds good. But better than AMSDM7 512+fs with DSD 512? I will continue to test and on occasion increase the CPU clock speed.

spacer.png

just tried the new HQP4.1  with my I6700K without GPU  i can push PCM 44.1K   to  PolysyncExt2 DSDEC  DSD256    ( 55% CPU)

sounds very good but NOT as good as  PolysyncEXt2 DSD5.V2 256fs  DSD512  ( 28% CPU)   with a T+A DAC8DSD

fun to try anyway 😉

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

@Miska or anyone else who may know the answer to this:

As I understand it, the DSDIFF/DSF settings in HQP is whats applied to source DSD material.  Why is it then that in Roon, when I view the signal path I see the SDM Defaults from the main Settings page?  Is this a bug in Roon or am I not understanding the DSDIFF/DSF settings in HQP?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

20 minutes ago, juanitox said:

sounds very good but NOT as good as  PolysyncEXt2 DSD5.V2 256fs  DSD512  ( 28% CPU) 

What CPU do you have?  I have an i7-6700 and converting PCM to DSD512 using your same settings my CPU is at 60%.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

20 minutes ago, tboooe said:

What CPU do you have?  I have an i7-6700 and converting PCM to DSD512 using your same settings my CPU is at 60%.

I76700K  ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

On 7/15/2019 at 2:52 AM, Miska said:

In my build, no need for separate USB card, the motherboard has special purpose USB ports already.

Using the DAC-UP USB ports on this MB, what does this do in so far as negating a separate USB card, e.g. the ability to adjust voltage?  Just trying to understand the overall intent using those ports (isolated, galvanic etc..)

GB usb.JPG

My rig

1 hour ago, tboooe said:

Are you upsampling Red Book or hi-res files? My 6700k and GTX1080 will only go up to DSD with the EC modulators using hi-res material. I haven’t tried with Red Book yet. And I haven’t tried without the GPU. 

28 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Are you upsampling Red Book or hi-res files? My 6700k and GTX1080 will only go up to DSD with the EC modulators using hi-res material. I haven’t tried with Red Book yet. And I haven’t tried without the GPU. 

Sorry for not being clear, I was not referring to EC modulators.  I was responding to the settings that OP had listed (PolysyncEXt2 DSD5.V2  DSD512).  The 6700K cpu speed is faster than my 6700 (4 vs 3.6 ghz) which explains why the cpu usage is so much lower than mine using the same settings converting Red Book.

Other components:

13 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Sorry for not being clear, I was not referring to EC modulators.  I was responding to the settings that OP had listed (PolysyncEXt2 DSD5.V2  DSD512).  The 6700K cpu speed is faster than my 6700 (4 vs 3.6 ghz) which explains why the cpu usage is so much lower than mine using the same settings converting Red Book.

Oh I see! Thanks. Sorry I didn’t pay enough attention to which part of the post you were quoting. 

Miska,

i think you have a Windows server with 6700k and GTX 2080? Could you please tell me what’s the highest DSD rate you can go to with the EC modulators, both with 44.1 and hi res files (up to DXD)?

I’m thinking of upgrading my GTX 1080 to 2080 (possibly ti version) and want to get to at least DSD256 for my T&A DAC 8 DSD. 

Thanks

Craig

3 hours ago, juanitox said:

just tried the new HQP4.1  with my I6700K without GPU  i can push PCM 44.1K   to  PolysyncExt2 DSDEC  DSD256    ( 55% CPU)

sounds very good but NOT as good as  PolysyncEXt2 DSD5.V2 256fs  DSD512  ( 28% CPU)   with a T+A DAC8DSD

fun to try anyway 😉

My understanding about the T+A DAC8DSD is that if you give it a DSD signal of less than DSD512, it applies its own internal DSP upsampling to the signal. That was a main reason why it was always said that the T+A sounds very good at lower rates, but exceptional at DSD512. 

If that's true, that would mean that the EC DSD256 you were listening to was altered by the DAC, therefore, making the comparison an unfair one.

15 minutes ago, k6davis said:

My understanding about the T+A DAC8DSD is that if you give it a DSD signal of less than DSD512, it applies its own internal DSP upsampling to the signal. That was a main reason why it was always said that the T+A sounds very good at lower rates, but exceptional at DSD512. 

If that's true, that would mean that the EC DSD256 you were listening to was altered by the DAC, therefore, making the comparison an unfair one.

no , only the PCM Dac does oversampling in the T+A DAC8 DSD  , the DSD part is Direct  DSD  (Non oversampling ) 

but for my point of view  going from DSD256 to DSD512 is a much bigger step in quality than changing  modulators in the T+A Dac8 DSD

that doesn't mean the new modulators are bad , just that i would like to be able to use them with DSD512 🤤

3 hours ago, Foggie said:

Using the DAC-UP USB ports on this MB, what does this do in so far as negating a separate USB card, e.g. the ability to adjust voltage?  Just trying to understand the overall intent using those ports (isolated, galvanic etc..)

Point is that they have a separate low noise regulated VBUS. And you can switch that off from the BIOS settings as well. That's the only point of those separate USB cards as well.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, juanitox said:

no , only the PCM Dac does oversampling in the T+A DAC8 DSD  , the DSD part is Direct  DSD  (Non oversampling ) 

but for my point of view  going from DSD256 to DSD512 is a much bigger step in quality than changing  modulators in the T+A Dac8 DSD

that doesn't mean the new modulators are bad , just that i would like to be able to use them with DSD512 🤤

Right. Me too!! 

It may be totally in my head, but I was under the impression that most DAC chips operate internally at a single native rate (usually the highest rate they're capable of) and that they internally upsample anything less than that rate. Just like a 1080p TV or a 4K TV will convert everything to its native resolution.

By that logic, the T+A operates internally at DSD512. So when sending it DSD512, you get the inherent superiority of DSD512, plus bypassing any internal conversion - if it exists, plus HQP superior processing.

Not arguing with you, or saying you're wrong, because I don't know for sure. I just thought that was the main purpose of HQP.