IGNORED

HQ Player

3 hours ago, Miska said:

I have to admit, with HQPlayer use I have not noticed any difference in practice... This is probably just because of the type of load HQPlayer is.

I assume HQPlayer spends the bulk of its time in compute-intensive functions or methods in user-mode.

The Meltdown/Spectre fix penalizes code that that has a high frequency of system calls. I doubt HQPlayer fits this profile.

I'm not going to say anything about "sounds better to me". But from objective technical point of view using -2s filter is much better option. You essentially have same functionality (two filter stages instead of one), but without the adverse effects.

perhaps less stress on the processor is better ,  subjectively i prefer to use 2s polisync  44-DSD512  than non 2s version. 

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

11 hours ago, austinpop said:

I assume HQPlayer spends the bulk of its time in compute-intensive functions or methods in user-mode.

The Meltdown/Spectre fix penalizes code that that has a high frequency of system calls. I doubt HQPlayer fits this profile.

Thanks - makes sense, and I like the more specific discussion (high frequency of system calls) vs. the general (without "speculative execution," some stuff will slow down).

I think the new power profile available on Win systems probably operates on a different level than speculative execution/branch prediction anyway. It works with stuff like when/whether the computer goes into sleep mode.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Has anyone actually tried Windows 10 Pro for Workstations?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Well, I selected the power management profile so my computer wouldn't sleep while running a long backup task. :) But no, not with HQPlayer, which I assume is what we're interested in.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

33 minutes ago, lmitche said:

It's not shipping until the end of March or April.

Looks like you can buy an upgrade from Windows 10 Pro for $125 right now in the Windows Store app.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

38 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Yes, but is it the workstation pro edition?

I don't understand your question.  It's an upgrade from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations.

22 hours ago, rickca said:

Has anyone actually tried Windows 10 Pro for Workstations?

I've upgraded to Windows 10 Pro workstations thanks to previous discussion among you guys. There is no "Ultimate performance option" yet.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

2 hours ago, louisxiawei said:

I've upgraded to Windows 10 Pro workstations thanks to previous discussion among you guys. There is no "Ultimate performance option" yet.

Thanks for trying it.  The only information I can find is this:

Windows 10 preview build 17101 and Skip Ahead build 17640 introduce a new Ultimate Performance power profile that allows users to get the most out of their premium PC components.

This new policy builds on the current High-Performance policy, and it goes a step further to eliminate micro-latencies associated with fine grained power management techniques.

The new Ultimate Performance option can be customized and is found under the Hardware and Sound category in the Windows control panel.

34 minutes ago, Yviena said:

Actually wouldn't higher DSD rates also require higher frequency clocks and as a result also have higher phase noise.

Yes, there's not necessarily advantage endlessly pushing up the sampling rate. DSD1024 still works quite OK from clocking perspective, although suffers a little compared to DSD512. But it uses same clocks that most of the recent DAC chips use. Going above that to 100 MHz range (used by ESS Sabre) will have bigger negative impact...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Question... I've been experimenting with upsampling in HQPlayer to DSD256 and DSD512 and I'm hearing a very audible hiss that I do not hear with PCM or DSD128.

I use the Holo Audio Spring DAC KTE + Singxer SU-1 + UltraRendu.

My chain is Mac Mini running Windows 10 -> UltraRendu -> ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 -> Holo Spring DAC (via I2S). UltraRendu is running as an NAA.

I've tested several tracks and when I upsample to DSD256 or DSD512, I get an audible hiss that sounds like analog tape hiss. When I change it to PCM 384K or DSD128, I don't hear the hiss.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this noise? @Miska @Superdad

- Gary

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Gary, are you running native (i.e not DoP) in HQplayer?  Is your driver the Linux UltraRendu driver?  Have you tried going direct (simply as an experiment, running Windows drivers from Win 10 to Singxer)?  It sounds like a driver issue.

31 minutes ago, gsquared said:

Question... I've been experimenting with upsampling in HQPlayer to DSD256 and DSD512 and I'm hearing a very audible hiss that I do not hear with PCM or DSD128.

I use the Holo Audio Spring DAC KTE + Singxer SU-1 + UltraRendu.

My chain is Mac Mini running Windows 10 -> UltraRendu -> ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 -> Holo Spring DAC (via I2S). UltraRendu is running as an NAA.

I've tested several tracks and when I upsample to DSD256 or DSD512, I get an audible hiss that sounds like analog tape hiss. When I change it to PCM 384K or DSD128, I don't hear the hiss.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this noise? @Miska @Superdad

- Gary

Try switching oversampling filter and modulator. I use poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s with AMSDM7 512+fs with a mostly similar setup at DSD512. For PCM384 I use poly-sinc-xtr-mp with NS9 dither. 

Hi Ted.. I am running native DSD (not DoP) in HQplayer. 

26 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Is your driver the Linux UltraRendu driver?

Hmm... I honestly don't know. I just started using the UltraRendu without any thought about drivers for it. 

27 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Have you tried going direct (simply as an experiment, running Windows drivers from Win 10 to Singxer)?

Do you mean simply bypassing the UltraRendu and connecting from the PC to the Singxer via USB? I have not tried it yet.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

13 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Try switching oversampling filter and modulator. I use poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s with AMSDM7 512+fs with a mostly similar setup at DSD512. For PCM384 I use poly-sinc-xtr-mp with NS9 dither. 

Those are pretty close the settings I am using. I'm hopeful that it's just a driver issue as @ted_b suggested.

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

I use poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s with AMSDM7 512+fs

I like the AMSDM7 modulator too.  I don't know exactly what is adaptive (the "A" in AMSDM) about it, but I like the results.  :)

On 2/18/2018 at 8:28 AM, rickca said:

Thanks for trying it.  The only information I can find is this:

Windows 10 preview build 17101 and Skip Ahead build 17640 introduce a new Ultimate Performance power profile that allows users to get the most out of their premium PC components.

This new policy builds on the current High-Performance policy, and it goes a step further to eliminate micro-latencies associated with fine grained power management techniques.

The new Ultimate Performance option can be customized and is found under the Hardware and Sound category in the Windows control panel.

Skip Ahead build 17640 is what I'm running.  I don't have an Ultimate Performance option, possibly because my hardware is 2010 vintage.  :)

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Is your driver the Linux UltraRendu driver?

Ted, I think I understand your question. Were are asking about the driver in the Singxer Su-1. Yes I believe it has V2.20 that was added when I had Tim add the KTE upgrade to it.

Is there a way to check? From what i'm reading on KitsuneHifi's website, it's a firmware update... correct?

Yes, I guess if the UltraRendu is acting as an HQP NAA then it is looking for a Linux driver from the Su-1 (and yes, v2.2x is firmware).  Maybe THAT driver (which is no specific driver per se, it is just a Linux UAC2 compliant kernel) is faulty above DSD128...dunno.  That is a reason to try going direct, eliminating the Rendu NAA.  Then you'd be using Windows drivers.  Worth a try, just to begin to isolate.

Maybe someone who runs Linux NAA of any sort into a DDC can help.