In MP3Tag I have correctly

album Artist - Eddie Graham Trio

Composer - Carl Fischer

When I scan the album in HQPlayer library I get:

Artist - Carl Fischer

Performer - Eddie Graham Trio

Check it out

Looks correct.

Let's put it this way; what did you expect to appear under "artist" and "performer"?

And let's remember that terms such as "artist" and "composer" are too vague when compared against ID3v2 specification, so if we want to talk about tags let's talk about the exact tag id's shall we?

ID3v2 version 2.4 which applies to DSF format, specifies following tags (older versions have slight variations), that need to be mapped to HQPlayer's "artist" and "performer" fields:

TPE1
   The 'Lead artist/Lead performer/Soloist/Performing group' is
   used for the main artist.

TPE2
   The 'Band/Orchestra/Accompaniment' frame is used for additional
   information about the performers in the recording.

TPE3
   The 'Conductor' frame is used for the name of the conductor.

TPE4
   The 'Interpreted, remixed, or otherwise modified by' frame contains
   more information about the people behind a remix and similar
   interpretations of another existing piece.

TOPE
   The 'Original artist/performer' frame is intended for the performer
   of the original recording, if for example the music in the file
   should be a cover of a previously released song.

TEXT
   The 'Lyricist/Text writer' frame is intended for the writer of the
   text or lyrics in the recording.

TOLY
   The 'Original lyricist/text writer' frame is intended for the
   text writer of the original recording, if for example the music in
   the file should be a cover of a previously released song.

TCOM
   The 'Composer' frame is intended for the name of the composer.

TMCL
   The 'Musician credits list' is intended as a mapping between
   instruments and the musician that played it. Every odd field is an
   instrument and every even is an artist or a comma delimited list of
   artists.

TIPL
   The 'Involved people list' is very similar to the musician credits
   list, but maps between functions, like producer, and names.

TENC
   The 'Encoded by' frame contains the name of the person or
   organisation that encoded the audio file. This field may contain a
   copyright message, if the audio file also is copyrighted by the
   encoder.

These don't apply to FLAC files though, FLAC has different tagging system.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

8 hours ago, jimdukey said:

I thought Carl Fisher was a Music Publisher!

BTW, a Composer can certainly be the Performer.

Leonard Bernstein , among many others, comes to mind.

In that case it is also the artist and then performer is not specified?

But typically we'd say a composer is for example J.S. Bach and performer is for example LSO.

10 hours ago, bibo01 said:

In my example above, for an  album by  Eddie Graham Trio, I want Eddie Graham Trio to appear as Artist  !!!  Wouldn't you?!

Well, don't define TCOM for it then. If you want to utilize both fields, use TPE2/TPE3 for Performer and TPE1 for Artist instead.

If you define TCOM (becomes Artist), then TPE1 has priority as Performer (if TPE1 is not defined, it falls back to TPE2 and then TPE3).

Question:  is there a way to interrogate the library XML to find what albums don't have album art in the eyes of HQPlayer?  I suppose I could visually do this for my 5+TB local disc if I used a monitor but I access my headless HQPlayer via TightVNC and it does not return anything when I toggle to HQP's "touch view".   I ask this in anticipation of using something like HQPDcontrol (I asked similar question on that thread but figured Jussi and others may have more experience here).   The fact that I also use front ends like Roon or JRiver (Geoff's script) are irrelevant as they don't use HQP's library xml of course.

8 hours ago, ted_b said:

Question:  is there a way to interrogate the library XML to find what albums don't have album art in the eyes of HQPlayer?  I suppose I could visually do this for my 5+TB local disc if I used a monitor but I access my headless HQPlayer via TightVNC and it does not return anything when I toggle to HQP's "touch view".   I ask this in anticipation of using something like HQPDcontrol (I asked similar question on that thread but figured Jussi and others may have more experience here).   The fact that I also use front ends like Roon or JRiver (Geoff's script) are irrelevant as they don't use HQP's library xml of course.

If you have access to a Linux machine (or Mac probably works the same), you can check the items without cover art using following command for example:

grep "<directory" library.xml | grep -v cover | less

1 minute ago, ted_b said:

Would there be a similar set of commands using findstr?

Based on the documentation should work the same as "grep", arguments are just prefixed with / (Windows style) instead of -, but other than that it looks the same. Since Windows has just "more" instead of "less" you need to substitute that too.

Btw, it is nowadays very easy to install Linux on Windows (since Win 10 Fall Creators Update)... Can be really useful sometimes... ;)

Jussi, I notice that in the XML document the cover file location may not be stated when in fact cover art exists, which leads me to believe these examples are of covers embedded in the metadata of the file(s).  I assume the grep or findstr results will be inaccurate due to that?  If so, that doesn't help me. 

Jussi,

I have also been wondering about this issue. Phrasing the question another way, if an album has no cover path, i.e. no cover="file:///........./Folder.jpg" entry, is there anything else in the content for that album in iibrary.xml to indicate that there is cover art in the metadata?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Ted,

FWIW. the way I have been searching the contents of library.xml is to simply open a copy of it in Notepad and then use the Edit / Find function. That, of course, does not address the issue of album cover art in the metadata.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Allan, same here but my library is large and it is tedious.  Also, as you reiterated, just because an album has no "cover=" comment doesn't mean it is void of cover art (if the art is embedded in the file).  At least that is my assumption, prior to Jussi's response.

51 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Allan, same here but my library is large and it is tedious.  Also, as you reiterated, just because an album has no "cover=" comment doesn't mean it is void of cover art (if the art is embedded in the file).  At least that is my assumption, prior to Jussi's response.

It is very tedious. I spent hours editing library.xml to get things to display the way I wanted them to in both HQPlayer and HQPD control.

Your assumption is correct unless we are missing something that Jussi can point out. In my initial installation of HQPDcontrol, the only albums for which cover art was displayed were those with cover art in the metadata because of the NAS path format problem in HQPlayer's API, which erroneously omitted cover art for all albums with a cover art path.

53 minutes ago, Allan F said:

It is very tedious. I spent hours editing library.xml to get things to display the way I wanted them to in both HQPlayer and HQPD control.

Your assumption is correct unless we are missing something that Jussi can point out. In my initial installation of HQPDcontrol, the only albums for which cover art was displayed were those with cover art in the metadata because of the NAS path format problem in HQPlayer's API, which erroneously omitted cover art for all albums with a cover art path.

@ted_b, @Allan F

I am not able to follow you.

In my library.xml all album folders have an entry similar to this one:

cover="file:///media/samba/Music/A Girl Called Eddy/A Girl Called Eddy/folder.jpg"

Covers and albums are resident on my NAS.

If you open library.xml and do a seach (in my case) with cover="file:///", don't you get all directories with cover as folder.jpg? 

45 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

@ted_b, @Allan F

I am not able to follow you.

In my library.xml all album folders have an entry similar to this one:

cover="file:///media/samba/Music/A Girl Called Eddy/A Girl Called Eddy/folder.jpg"

Covers and albums are resident on my NAS.

If you open library.xml and do a seach (in my case) with cover="file:///", don't you get all directories with cover as folder.jpg? 

No. While most of my albums contain cover path entries similar to yours, a number of the albums do not. All the albums ripped from CDs using dBpoweramp have Folder.jpg files in the album folder, but a number of downloaded albums do not. The album cover art for albums without Folder.jpg files is contained in the album's metadata. Those are the albums that Ted and I are referring to.

25 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

No!  As I stated earlier, I have several albums (stumbled on them, haven't gone through even 1% of my library) that have no entry with cover info, but clealry have cover art (shows up in HQPlayer).  I am making an easy assumption that these albums have embedded (in the file metadata) art.  Which means that interrogating the XML file does not result in a comprehensive list of missing album art, even if I could do it (haven't figured out the findstr equivalent of "grep "<directory" library.xml | grep -v cover | less") .  So I will likely not do it.

1 minute ago, Allan F said:

No. While the majority of my albums contain cover path entries similar to yours, a number of the albums do not. Those albums have the album cover art contained in the album's metadata.Those are the albums that Ted and I are referring to.

Then, can't you simply add a folder.jpg in all directories that do not have it ?!

10 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

Then, can't you simply add a folder.jpg in all directories that do not have it ?!

Define "simply".  For, say, 500 directories (which out of 7000 ain't bad).  Most of those are likely embedded art, cuz I really only think I have less than 100 albums that don't have any art in HQPlayer...but am not in the mood to cull the 80 or so out of the 500.

And furthermore, why add folder.jpgs to folders whose albums already display art! 

So, assuming I go forward with this HQPDcontrol project, I will simply visually take inventory of those minorities that don't display art, and then add manually.  A long slow boring process...but something that the XML document won't help with.

59 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Define "simply".  For, say, 500 directories (which out of 7000 ain't bad).  Most of those are likely embedded art, cuz I really only think I have less than 100 albums that don't have any art in HQPlayer...but am not in the mood to cull the 80 or so out of the 500.

And furthermore, why add folder.jpgs to folders whose albums already display art! 

So, assuming I go forward with this HQPDcontrol project, I will simply visually take inventory of those minorities that don't display art, and then add manually.  A long slow boring process...but something that the XML document won't help with.

"simply" as straight forward. I realize that it can be tedious to accomplish.