IGNORED

HQ Player

I've read that HQ converts DSD to PCM when upsampling to the higher DSD Rates.

I always thought it didn't, but I don't really know for sure.

AV+ and JRiver convert DSD to PCM first for upsampling.

In fact AV+ doesn't upsample DSD to DSD at all, except with a convoluted work-around.

Can someone please confirm whether HQ converts DSD to PCM when upsampling?

My Mac D 150/Ifi Usb Suite and AQ Jitterbug/iMac sound very good w/HQ!

Jimdukey, what you've read is incorrect.  One of HQPlayer's best attributes is for its capabilities within DSD (such as convolution, etc), and upsampling DSD to higher rates occurs within DSD.

Please show us where you read this false news; I'd like to make sure we nip that source in the bud.

On 3/15/2018 at 1:06 PM, Kal Rubinson said:

I have a Baetis Prodigy X in a box which seems similar to the FC10.  It has a 7700K and I have run it with the stock 12V/16A PS as well as the HDPLEX 400.  No problems with overheating however (1) I do not do DSD512 upsampling but (2) I do run DSD files up to DSD256, downsample them to 24/192 PCM and feed them through DiracLiveEQ in 6 channels.

Kal, assuming you do this for bass management?

3 minutes ago, Ipoci said:

Sorry in advance if my question was already answered multiple times ...

Is there any plan to play full DSD .ISO images on HQP (even if the pre-load of a full image from an SSD tooks 1 minute)?

Have a nice day, Massimiliano

No plans, I don't see any reason why. ISO images are ancient remnant for physical optical discs and inefficient and strange as computer file storage.

Just extract ISO files into DSF files and you are much better off.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

8 hours ago, Milt99 said:

Miska, if you have one,  what is your current main DAC & why?

From memory, seems you have a Holo Audio Spring.

Have you ever owned or listened to a T+A DAC?

You can check out some of the DACs I have from the web page under "recommended hardware".

Both Spring and DAC8 DSD are good.

Just joined the windows insider programme and has the power option of "ultimate performance".

@MiskaI'm wondering what potential edge HQplayer will have by ticking this option in your opinion? So far, my experience is that the loading speed of upsampling 44.1/16→ 44.1 x 512 is slightly faster.

Other workload-ish difficulty I previously countered remain pretty much the same such as: integrator of CIC for upsampling DSD256 → DSD512 is still not stable. 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

10 hours ago, louisxiawei said:

Just joined the windows insider programme and has the power option of "ultimate performance".

@MiskaI'm wondering what potential edge HQplayer will have by ticking this option in your opinion? So far, my experience is that the loading speed of upsampling 44.1/16→ 44.1 x 512 is slightly faster.

Other workload-ish difficulty I previously countered remain pretty much the same such as: integrator of CIC for upsampling DSD256 → DSD512 is still not stable. 

In addition to making initialization little bit faster and CPU it should mostly increase reliability, especially when you also do other things at the same time while listening music. Because it is not changing hardware operating points as much as otherwise would.

Hi, I am able to output all my music to DSD but I could not seem to output to PCM (both non DSD and DSD files). When I choose PCM in the main window and hit play, the play counter seems to be playing but there is no sound (it looks like the DAC did not lock the signal). Attached is my current settings. I tried different filter and dither combinations but to no avail. I tried changing the Buffer time and DAC bits, Auto Rate and Sample rate/limit too but those changes in settings also did not help. I also directly connected my PC to the DAC (bypassing the NAA endpoint but that too did not help.  I am able to output to PCM (and DSD) using Foobar though so it looks like the issue is not related to my DAC. My DAC supports up to 384K/32bit. I appreciate your help in advance.

HQPlayer Settings1.PNG

@Miska

Sparky SBC dietpi version 6.5 supports Amanero's new firmware nativeDSD on Linux, I use Sparky SBC for NAA, and hqplayer plays DSD512 with DSC1 DAC. Overall performance is good. However, there is noise when playing stops or after switching albums. I see 2003be firmware description "DMA clean", is it necessary to play software with? A clear signal is given when playback is stopped or the album is switched.

Thank you for providing us with excellent player software.

I am in need of a computer upgrade from an older CAPS. Can anyone tell me if these new Intel NUC"s would be a viable choice for quality audio sound and HQ 512 DSD potential.

https://www.simplynuc.com/hades-canyon/

I assume the graphics chip isnt going to work like an Invida chip?? But will the computing power be suffice for DSD512??

I was thing the smaller unit as I dont need the graphics power. (seems like a pretty good deal for a complete package??)

Thoughts??

Holo Spring Kitsume Level 3, Singxer SU-1

On 3/31/2018 at 12:53 PM, nick77 said:

I am in need of a computer upgrade from an older CAPS. Can anyone tell me if these new Intel NUC"s would be a viable choice for quality audio sound and HQ 512 DSD potential.

https://www.simplynuc.com/hades-canyon/

I assume the graphics chip isnt going to work like an Invida chip?? But will the computing power be suffice for DSD512??

I was thing the smaller unit as I dont need the graphics power. (seems like a pretty good deal for a complete package??)

Thoughts??

The GPU is not useful for HQPlayer. But probably the machine would work fine to DSD512 using -2s filters.

With those small fan-cooled computers the problem is usually fan noise at higher CPU loads. This would need to be checked if it becomes problem in practice. That's why I rather opt either for passive cooled computer, or one with fans in a bigger, sound proofed case (for example Fractal Design silent ones). Those big silent cases have big slowly rotating fans that don't make much sound (area is larger, so air velocity is slower for same amount of air, and thus less noise).