IGNORED

HQ Player

Much appreciated. How does one know which DSD DAC will convert a hi-res DSD input to analogue without any processing?

Not sure what your price range is but an ideal candidate would be the T+A DAC 8 DSD. It is a 1 bit discreet chip-less DAC. While it is not the least expensive it is also not as costly as many other ones.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

IME there is a lot of misplaced mystique about HQP. It doesn't require particular IT skill or expertise to use, but rather suffers (not unlike other similar products) from minimalist documentation. For example, I struggled for some time in getting NAA to work (no documentation at all is provided to the best of my knowledge), but now I know what to do, I can see that the necessary steps could have been provided on a single page of installation notes. We shouldn't confuse lack of skill with lack of knowledge. The former takes time to accumulate, but the latter can be easily addressed via adequate step by step instructions, especially for a far from inexpensive product.

Compared to JRMC, I think HQPlayer is pretty simple to understand. It actually has instructions whereas in JRiver you have to search wikis and forums and wait for a reply at times. IMO, JRMC is a more complex program too. Useful, but a big learning curve.

Compared to JRMC, I think HQPlayer is pretty simple to understand.

+1. I believe HQP has some quite special settings (and combinations of settings) that would seem complicated for those who encounter this player for the first time. However, after couple of weeks trying, learning and adjusting HQP seem to be quite easy to use. I also like the pace with which Miska introduces additions and upgrades – you always have time to absorb it without feeling yourself overwhelmed and disoriented.

Not sure what your price range is but an ideal candidate would be the T+A DAC 8 DSD. It is a 1 bit discreet chip-less DAC. While it is not the least expensive it is also not as costly as many other ones.

Thanks - I've been following the thread on that candidate. Any specific less expensive options of note?

Compared to JRMC, I think HQPlayer is pretty simple to understand. It actually has instructions whereas in JRiver you have to search wikis and forums and wait for a reply at times. IMO, JRMC is a more complex program too. Useful, but a big learning curve.

I don't disagree. As a first time user of HQP last year it took me less than 10 mins from initial download to playing great sounding music directly from PC to DAC. Definitely agree that it's easier than JMRC to get going. For me its when I got into NAA territory that things got a lot less clear (noting that some at least see NAA as essential to HQP use)

My point was precisely that HQP doesn't need lots of IT skills and experience to use and new users shouldn't be put off under this mispprehension. It's just that to maximise the enjoyment of the most users a bit more dissemination of knowledge via documentation would be useful.

Thanks - I've been following the thread on that candidate. Any specific less expensive options of note?

The Mytek Brooklyn is a possibility — if you feed it its maximum DSD256 it's not going to do much of anything more to the audio stream. The exaSound E12 and E22 are also possibilities (also limited to DSD256), but exa is not sharing its driver info with the Open Source folks, so if you wanted to use one of the exaSound DACs with, say, a Sonore Sonicorbiter SE or microRendu, that would be a no-go. There's also the iFi iDSD micro and the forthcoming (some day soon, I hope) iDSD Pro. The micro can do DSD512, so I'd expect the Pro would, too.

Judging from all the comments about the T+A DAC 8 DSD, it would seem to be the best of the bunch at or below ~US$4K. (The DAC 8 DSD is also not currently compatible with the Sonore renderers, but there appears to be hope in this area.) I'm struggling a bit with choosing a new DAC, too, but I'm taking my time deciding.

—David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

The DAC 8 DSD is also not currently compatible with the Sonore renderers, but there appears to be hope in this area) —David

David: When you say it us not compatible are you referring to the rendering capabilities or is this also true if you are using them just as an NAA for HQPlayer? If so, can you currently use the DAC 8 DSD with HQPlayer in an NAA configuration?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

David: When you say it us not compatible are you referring to the rendering capabilities or is this also true if you are using them just as an NAA for HQPlayer? If so, can you currently use the DAC 8 DSD with HQPlayer in an NAA configuration?

Sorry, I should have been more clear about this. In this context, I just meant that you wouldn't be able to do native DSD to the Sonore devices; you'd be limited to DoP. The corollary is that currently, with the T+A DAC, you wouldn't be able to do DSD512 (again, with the Sonore renderers).

I'm pretty sure Jussi/Miska has a T+A DAC on loan, so he'd be able to speak authoritatively on this, but you should be able to use a Windows-based NAA and get up to DSD512 if your hardware is up to it. Also, I know there's work under way by the Linux audio guys to support Amanero-based USB (that's what the T+A uses, as do the Lampizators), so as I said, there's hope in that area. If the work is successful, then the Sonore devices would be able to support native DSD with the DACs that use Amanero USB boards, although my understanding is that firmware updates might be required.

(Many people would say, "Why is this such a problem? Just use a Windows-based NAA — you could even Bootcamp your Mac mini." In my case, I just don't care for Windows, so I've gotten myself into this mess trying to find an alternative. I'm by no means certain I'll be successful.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I don't disagree. As a first time user of HQP last year it took me less than 10 mins from initial download to playing great sounding music directly from PC to DAC. Definitely agree that it's easier than JMRC to get going. For me its when I got into NAA territory that things got a lot less clear (noting that some at least see NAA as essential to HQP use)

My point was precisely that HQP doesn't need lots of IT skills and experience to use and new users shouldn't be put off under this mispprehension. It's just that to maximise the enjoyment of the most users a bit more dissemination of knowledge via documentation would be useful.

I had a couple of issues with configuring the NAA as well. It was my confounded method of network setup since I had two routers in the system. I'm in agreement with you though, more instructional documentation is better.....

Still need help.Still can't get Roon to play on its own.Plays with Roon..When I try to play with Hqplayer all I get is a green box that's says please wait as a green bar scrolls back and forth.Someone on forum suggested removing Hqplayer xml file and that worked great for a few hours,even was able to play regular poly sinc without stuttering but only lasted a few hours like previously stated.Last night put in a Ssd drive still will not play with Hqplayer by itself but works with Roon.Also again played files with regular poly sinc filters which was great a again for about 3 hours now back to stuttering.I asked this ? Before should I uninstall Hqplayer and reinstall.At a lost ?

Still need help.Still can't get Roon to play on its own.Plays with Roon..When I try to play with Hqplayer all I get is a green box that's says please wait as a green bar scrolls back and forth.Someone on forum suggested removing Hqplayer xml file and that worked great for a few hours,even was able to play regular poly sinc without stuttering but only lasted a few hours like previously stated.Last night put in a Ssd drive still will not play with Hqplayer by itself but works with Roon.Also again played files with regular poly sinc filters which was great a again for about 3 hours now back to stuttering.I asked this ? Before should I uninstall Hqplayer and reinstall.At a lost ?

Are you trying to play exactly same files from the same location with same HQPlayer settings through Roon and directly with HQPlayer?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi folks. I really want to try out HQP but the ability to easily browse my library and control playback from my phone or tablet is really important. I know I can use Roon but that price point, especially the recurring fee seems really high to me for what I need. All that extra data and info Roon offers is nice but I dont really need or want it. Ideally, I could use a control point software like BubbleUPnP or Linn Kazoo to browse and control playback.

I am right to say that HQP does not support UPnP? If not, I assume the NAA is not an network renderer as well?

Is there a reason why HQP does not support UPnP? I think if it did, a lot more people would be able to use their preferred control point and not have to worry about spending a lot of money for something like Roon just to be able to browse their library and control playback remotely.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Yes same files which are on a external hard drive.For Hqplayer tried all settings.Cant get to work at all by just using Hqplayer.Hqplayer with Roon very inconsistent when trying to use poly sinc filters .Lile I said will play fine for awhile and then just start stuttering.Roon and Hqplayer will play fine with -2s filters.Also I noticed when it starts to stutter badly I will hit pause in Roon player will stop but I wil get a audible popping sound only in my right speaker and won't quit to I stop Hqplayer and Roon.Something going on somewhere that why I was kind of wondering if I should uninstall and reinstall Roon.Thanks

I am right to say that HQP does not support UPnP?

Desktop version doesn't. Embedded version can be used as a UPnP Renderer and works fine with Bubble UPnP Android App. I'm not aware of any proper UPnP Control Point for iOS.

If not, I assume the NAA is not an network renderer as well?

NAA is networked audio endpoint. While UPnP Renderer is equal to player application. So the two are completely different things conceptually.

Is there a reason why HQP does not support UPnP?

Because HQPlayer Desktop is designed for desktop use cases. Someone could implement UPnP front-end for HQPlayer Desktop using HQPlayer's remote control protocol if they want to.

I think if it did, a lot more people would be able to use their preferred control point and not have to worry about spending a lot of money for something like Roon.

Roon or HQPlayer certainly don't cost lot of money compared to most audiophile hardware prices.

Desktop version doesn't. Embedded version can be used as a UPnP Renderer and works fine with Bubble UPnP Android App. I'm not aware of any proper UPnP Control Point for iOS.

Roon or HQPlayer certainly don't cost lot of money compared to most audiophile hardware prices.

Thank you for the reply. If I recall, I believe you said the embedded version is not supported and could be complicated to set up?

I think its hard to compare Roon to a hardware component esp when all someone (like me) wants to do is have a front end to browse my library and control playback. I dont need or want all the data and features Roon has. Therefore, my only option is to try HQP embedded which is not supported or pay $500 for a lifetime license to Roon for basic UPnP library browsing that I can get from something like Minimserver or JRiver for a minimal cost. My point is there needs to some sort of middle ground solution that would allow someone to enjoy the benefits of HQP without the added expense of Roon while being able to control playback and browse their library from a networked device like tablet.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thank you for the reply. If I recall, I believe you said the embedded version is not supported and could be complicated to set up?

I think its hard to compare Roon to a hardware component esp when all someone (like me) wants to do is have a front end to browse my library and control playback. I dont need or want all the data and features Roon has. Therefore, my only option is to try HQP embedded which is not supported or pay $500 for a lifetime license to Roon for basic UPnP library browsing that I can get from something like Minimserver or JRiver for a minimal cost. My point is there needs to some sort of middle ground solution that would allow someone to enjoy the benefits of HQP without the added expense of Roon while being able to control playback and browse their library from a networked device like tablet.

You can take a look at Muso.

http://klarita.net/muso.html

It probably won't change anything, but you can delete the HQPlayer.xml file to reset HQPlayer back to defaults.
Just tried to locat Hqplayer.xml file can no longer find this file.Also you said you could not find anything in the logs I sent you but when I type in Hqplayer there's files that say app crash.

Yes, that's the case. It was originally designed for hardware manufacturers who want to create such devices.

Setup is a bit complicated, because UPnP doesn't offer ways to control HQPlayer's settings and the Embedded version doesn't have any GUI at all.

I think its hard to compare Roon to a hardware component

You can do some comparison for prices. Typical BOM (bill of materials) cost for hardware products is about 10% of the sales price, or less.

Therefore, my only option is to try HQP embedded which is not supported or pay $500 for a lifetime license to Roon for basic UPnP library browsing that I can get from something like Minimserver or JRiver for a minimal cost. My point is there needs to some sort of middle ground solution that would allow someone to enjoy the benefits of HQP without the added expense of Roon while being able to control playback and browse their library from a networked device like tablet.

$500 is pretty inexpensive software, really. That pays for about four man hours of work.

It says no items match your search

Just copy-paste that into Windows File Explorer (equivalent of Finder on Mac) address-entry and hit enter.

As a side note, depending on your CPU, when you are starting playback with non-2s poly-sinc filter to DSD256 or higher, be prepared to wait quite a while looking at the progress bar spinning around. It may take a minute, or even two to get started.

If you force-terminate HQPlayer, be prepared to reboot your computer and DAC before things work again...