IGNORED

HQ Player

I think Miska told us there is no sense to experiment with RAMs...

Using RAMdisk means having the stuff loaded in RAM at least twice. If it helps - good, but I don't know why... :)

Using RAMdisk increases memory pressure, so you need to have more RAM to avoid swap. I have swap disabled on my machines (except on OS X where I don't know where/how to control that).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Using RAMdisk means having the stuff loaded in RAM at least twice. If it helps - good, but I don't know why... :)

Using RAMdisk increases memory pressure, so you need to have more RAM to avoid swap. I have swap disabled on my machines (except on OS X where I don't know where/how to control that).

Tried the terminal command at the top of the page here? https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.mac.system/jIWY8VRl3cw

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

What is 'swap'?

Disk space used to supplement RAM. Much slower than RAM, which I assume is why Miska has disabled it.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

A WAG: Does it reduce SATA I/O at all?

Disk space used to supplement RAM. Much slower than RAM, which I assume is why Miska has disabled it.

Interesting...

Based on this information, I just reduced the size of the RAMDisk drive where I had my music stored, because I noticed RAM was using 92% in task manager. It now only uses about 43% and I swear the sound quality jumped a couple notches again!

I'm not the most computer savvy. I have 8gb of RAM on my laptop/music server. Does anyone know how I would go about upgrading? Let's say I want 16bg total, does that mean I add 8gb, or do I need to take out the RAM that is already in there, and replace it with a 16gb?

I'm not the most computer savvy. I have 8gb of RAM on my laptop/music server. Does anyone know how I would go about upgrading? Let's say I want 16bg total, does that mean I add 8gb, or do I need to take out the RAM that is already in there, and replace it with a 16gb?

Depends on what computer and RAM you have now.

I'll do some research. Would adding RAM help SQ with HQPlayer? Especially in conjuction with RAMDisk?

No.

Edit: Or at least Miska says using a RAMDisk doesn't help as far as he can tell. If you want to buy and install more RAM to experiment, have at it.

Any idea when will HQPlayer support beyond Ubuntu 14.04 builds?

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

Any idea when will HQPlayer support beyond Ubuntu 14.04 builds?

It runs fine on 16.04 for me.

It runs fine on 16.04 for me.

Sorry, I mean Xubuntu.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,

Sorry, I mean Xubuntu.

Me too.

I'll do some research. Would adding RAM help SQ with HQPlayer? Especially in conjuction with RAMDisk?

Using Ramdisk can help in some circumstances, but can hurt in others.

The reality is that RAM is a source of noise, it does get refreshed all the time, so the general trend is the less you use, the better.

Closely related to RAM noise, is noise which OS activity is generating. Here careful building of the OS delivers considerable sound quality dividends.

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Me too.

Jud, so you mean you are using xubuntu 16 build with HQPlayer currently?

I am not Jud but I am running HQP on Lubuntu 16 without issues. As I understand Lubuntu and Xubuntu are very similar.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I configured my Win PC to use RAMdisk as swap and even after that coping music files to RAMdisk before playing helps to improve SQ.

Yes.

Yes.

Which Hqplayer build you are using. And special tricks? Amd64

I am not Jud but I am running HQP on Lubuntu 16 without issues. As I understand Lubuntu and Xubuntu are very similar.

They're Ubuntu with different interfaces and different choices for suites of apps, but much of the same "plumbing."

Edit: I can't think of anything that would cause HQP to work on one variant but not another.

They're Ubuntu with different interfaces and different choices for suites of apps, but much of the same "plumbing."

I'm trying to get HQPLAYER install on their Live build.

I'm trying to get HQPLAYER install on their Live build.

Nothing installs on the Live build. That build runs from a read-only medium.

Nothing installs on the Live build. That build runs from a read-only medium.

Thanks, I'll try it on an actual install.