IGNORED

HQ Player

No.

Edit: Or at least Miska says using a RAMDisk doesn't help as far as he can tell. If you want to buy and install more RAM to experiment, have at it.

If my memory don't fail me (in most cases it does) RAM usage brought some positive results with Amarra or A+. As OS optimization tricks, etc. It was lightyears ago, HQP is great to use without stressing OS.
If my memory don't fail me (in most cases it does) RAM usage brought some positive results with Amarra or A+. As OS optimization tricks, etc. It was lightyears ago, HQP is great to use without stressing OS.

I think I hear greater improvement simply by keeping my music library on a drive accessed by network (Ethernet) rather than FireWire or USB. Since the other OSX player I use is a memory player that likes RAM and Miska doesn't think it makes a difference, I've pretty well abandoned playing around with RAMDisks on OS X.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

have you tried sudo nvram boot-args=“vm_compressor=2” ?

Using RAMdisk means having the stuff loaded in RAM at least twice. If it helps - good, but I don't know why... :)

Using RAMdisk increases memory pressure, so you need to have more RAM to avoid swap. I have swap disabled on my machines (except on OS X where I don't know where/how to control that).

have you tried sudo nvram boot-args=“vm_compressor=2” ?

Sounds like it then uses memory compression which is incredibly bad idea on anything dealing with realtime processing... Seems like only sensible value is vm_compressor=1 but then it still uses swap.

I didn't find any good documentation for this. I would want compressor and swap disabled both.

If someone is experiencing stuttering on OS X, then checking "sysctl -a vm.compressor_mode" seems to be a good idea.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thank you, very good point. kudos for the convolution engine that I enjoy very much. Do you recommend Normalized or not FIR ?

Sounds like it then uses memory compression which is incredibly bad idea on anything dealing with realtime processing... Seems like only sensible value is vm_compressor=1 but then it still uses swap.

I didn't find any good documentation for this. I would want compressor and swap disabled both.

If someone is experiencing stuttering on OS X, then checking "sysctl -a vm.compressor_mode" seems to be a good idea.

Hi, I want to use HQP renderer along with BubbleUPnP and Minimserver. Unfortunately, HQP renderer is not supported by the developer and I cant try it without first buying HQP. If anyone has any feedback on using HQP renderer, especially its reliability and installation I would greatly appreciate it. For me using HQP renderer is ideal because I use Minimserver and BubbleUPnP for simple library management. I've tried using Muso but its web player control didnt work very well. Roon just has too many features I do not need (not to mention the price).

Thank you.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Miska somehow where the two areas in bottom Hqplayer where one area shows the library the other shows music being played I 'm missing the area were it shoes library.How do I fix this ?

Go to the top of the area with your mouse, press on the bar Performer/Artist/Album... and keep it pressed, then drag down to reveal your library window.

Hi, I want to use HQP renderer along with BubbleUPnP and Minimserver. Unfortunately, HQP renderer is not supported by the developer and I cant try it without first buying HQP. If anyone has any feedback on using HQP renderer, especially its reliability and installation I would greatly appreciate it. For me using HQP renderer is ideal because I use Minimserver and BubbleUPnP for simple library management. I've tried using Muso but its web player control didnt work very well. Roon just has too many features I do not need (not to mention the price).

Thank you.

I didn't try Embedded extensively, only a couple of days. However, I did not have problems to install it falling the mini guide I gave you before...pretty straight forward actually.

I never had problems with it, like Embedded not playing or getting blocked. It was most enjoyable.

My only reservation was with MinimServer not scanning properly a few albums of mine.

EXTREMELY WRONG idea with El Capitan

causes crashes at restart or shutdown attempts

only good ol' reset PRAM saved my day...

someone shared his findings here : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7266836?start=15&tstart=0

So, I have to avoid using a RAMdisk ; if I don't I see no compression nor swap.

Unfortunately I get dropouts (sometimes, no clear pattern) when I feed directly from my Wifi connected storage drive (great SQ and ease of use otherwise). Guess there's nothing to do there ; is there ?

Which leads to the point of transferring files ; I hear a difference between flac from the drive and wav xld converted just before transferring, not always a preference though the "taste" is consistent ("lighter" with flac, beefier with wav) ; technically is there a reason to let HQP decompress and deal with the endianness of flac or is it better to feed it with wav files ?

About my Filters wav files, does it matter where they are located and do you recommend NORMALISE or Not ?

Lovely, Apple should be a bit more careful when releasing new OS versions. Now they break things faster than they fix...
I didn't try Embedded extensively, only a couple of days. However, I did not have problems to install it falling the mini guide I gave you before...pretty straight forward actually.

I never had problems with it, like Embedded not playing or getting blocked. It was most enjoyable.

My only reservation was with MinimServer not scanning properly a few albums of mine.

Thank you for your feedback. I really wished embedded was more actively supported as I think it would make HQP attractive to more users who prefer to use other library management packages like JRiver or Minimserver. I am a very techy guy but my fear is how reliable embedded is and if at some point it stops being offered at all.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Which leads to the point of transferring files ; I hear a difference between flac from the drive and wav xld converted just before transferring, not always a preference though the "taste" is consistent ("lighter" with flac, beefier with wav) ; technically is there a reason to let HQP decompress and deal with the endianness of flac or is it better to feed it with wav files ?

You have less storage-to-RAM bandwidth consumption with FLAC. Less data to transfer. FLAC is practically native endian. For the compressed content endianess is irrelevant (byte streams) and the decoded output is always native endianess of the computer where it is being performed.

About my Filters wav files, does it matter where they are located and do you recommend NORMALISE or Not ?

Filters are loaded to RAM at initialization stage and used from there. Whether filters are normalized or not mostly changes where gain compensation is done, either it is done at filter creation or at HQPlayer. But you need to pay attention to have it done at HQPlayer side when necessary.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi, I´ve using HQPlayer with roon upsampling to DSD128 for the last month with no problems, today I swapped 2 USB cables that connect my SoSe to my Regen and the Regen to my Dac, after that could not get HQplayer to work again.

When I press play at Roon, HQplayer starts to Flick than freezes, changed every set in HQplayer and it just does not work, Native PCM, Native DSD, Upsampling, -2.

Rebooted every single piece of my system, uninstalled HQPlayer and re installed it, no successCaptura de tela 2016-05-24 17.32.00.png.

Roon ready mode works like before, so is a bit of a mystery for me.

Help would be appreciated

Could be the cable?

only good ol' reset PRAM saved my day...

FYI, you can clear "boot-args" without doing a complete PRAM reset using:

sudo nvram -d boot-args

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

thank you, I really appreciate, very informative

You have less storage-to-RAM bandwidth consumption with FLAC. Less data to transfer. FLAC is practically native endian. For the compressed content endianess is irrelevant (byte streams) and the decoded output is always native endianess of the computer where it is being performed.

Filters are loaded to RAM at initialization stage and used from there. Whether filters are normalized or not mostly changes where gain compensation is done, either it is done at filter creation or at HQPlayer. But you need to pay attention to have it done at HQPlayer side when necessary.

Hi, I´ve using HQPlayer with roon upsampling to DSD128 for the last month with no problems, today I swapped 2 USB cables that connect my SoSe to my Regen and the Regen to my Dac, after that could not get HQplayer to work again.

When I press play at Roon, HQplayer starts to Flick than freezes, changed every set in HQplayer and it just does not work, Native PCM, Native DSD, Upsampling, -2.

Rebooted every single piece of my system, uninstalled HQPlayer and re installed it, no success[ATTACH=CONFIG]26465[/ATTACH].

Roon ready mode works like before, so is a bit of a mystery for me.

Help would be appreciated

Could be the cable?

Hi Miska, any change to vive me a hand with this?

Cheers Luiz

Hi Bibo, tried all the cable combinations and with Roonready works flawlessly, the only option missing is trying HQPlayer without Roon.

Really strange behavior.

Can I uninstall HQPLAYER from this machine and reinstall it in another machine to test it?

Cheers

Luiz