IGNORED

HQ Player

You will good up to PCM 384KHz with that configuration.

For DSD, you will need to go higher with at least a 3.5GHz processor.

For DSD256 I'm pretty sure something like a quad core / Core i7 processor would be needed. DSD128 and above really needs a fair amount of processing power with DSD256 being an order of magnitude higher than DSD128.

Thanks, Nikhil.

It looks like it would involve a large investment (upgrading the laptop) for me to perform Redbook-to-DSD conversion, even at DSD128.

I think I'll (re)direct all my efforts to the best possible PCM DAC...

Cheers,

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

You will good up to PCM 384KHz with that configuration.

For DSD, you will need to go higher with at least a 3.5GHz processor.

For DSD256 I'm pretty sure something like a quad core / Core i7 processor would be needed. DSD128 and above really needs a fair amount of processing power with DSD256 being an order of magnitude higher than DSD128.

I'm able to use HQP to upsample to DSD128 (with poly-sinc-short and poly-sinc-short-mp filters) on my mid-2011 Mac mini, which has a 2.3GHz dual-core i5. However, with HQP and Roon Core running together on that machine, it's pretty well maxed out — any additional activity (e.g., copying files) will induce stuttering. Thus, I'd suggest that this is about the minimum hardware configuration for this. So basically, Nikhil is right, and I completely agree with him on the need for a quad-core i7 for upsampling to DSD256 or greater.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

What are the minimum hardware requirements for Redbook-to-DSD conversion (128 and 256) on a Mac?

Is my 2009 MacBook Pro (2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 16GB RAM) underpowered?

R

You could try it. I know nothing about Macs but my Celeron PC coped fine converting RBCD to 128 with right options selected. Sounded good too...

Miska, could you provide an interface for setting differently PCM and DSD sources ?

Maybe it's very personal to will to elect ASDM7 for PCM sources and DSD 7 for DSD sources but I guess I'm not the only one who would like to keep DSD at native resolution (DSD 64 almost 100%) while willing to upsample PCM sources to the max available SDM output.

To my understanding and ears if I check DSD direct in DSD settings then I don't benefit from HQP's modulators. DSDIFF/DSF settings should offer the option not to upsample but yet to apply a modulator

Hello Miska, I have NAA HQ Player mode enabled with a Sonore MicroRendu feeding a Wyred4Sound Dac-2 (PCM DAC).....Using a trial software of your product for MAC, I can get the device to operate in Roon, but no music is produced in the DAC. Is the Wyred4Sound DAC not compatible with your HQ Player? The connection to the microRendu is via ethernet in a separate system away from the iMac. Thank you.

I selected the NAA on the HQPlayer software, but no selection was available under the Device selection. No choices at all.

I can get HQPlayer to run on the IMac (local host) computer speakers, but not into the other room where the microRendu is hooked up with the DAC.

Just switched from Mac to PC.Using Hqplayer with Roon.Can't get Hqplayer to work on its own.When I try to play track a box appears and says pleas wait while a green bar goes back and forth.Hqplayer with Roon works ?

You could email me a log file for inspection? You can find it from %LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer folder.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I selected the NAA on the HQPlayer software, but no selection was available under the Device selection. No choices at all.

This usually means the NAA is not found on the network. What kind of network setup do you have?

I assume you have switched microRendu to NAA mode?

l

This usually means the NAA is not found on the network. What kind of network setup do you have?

I assume you have switched microRendu to NAA mode?

I have a less than one year old iMac desktop running current version OSX El Capitan. ASUS RT68AC router in office. Audio system is in another room and mutltiple components are connected with ethernet over power Linksys PLEK 500 and Linksys gigabit switch. The switch is hooked to a Sonore microRendu via ethernet cable, and the W4S DAC-2 is connected to the microRendu by USB cable. I can select NAA on the HQPlayer software, but no Device field is available/ listed. I can access Roon on both the desktop system (local host) and living room system. I can get HQPlayer to work on the desktop (and through Roon), but not on the microRendu which is the living room (not in the same room as the imac). NAA is selected on the microRendu. The mystery is the Device setting in HQ Player. The setting which allows renaming the server also wont allow me to enter the IP address for the microRendu either (in HQPlayer). I have been able to get Roon to emulate the microRendu playing in Roon, but no sound is outputted.

The setting which allows renaming the server also wont allow me to enter the IP address for the microRendu either (in HQPlayer). I have been able to get Roon to emulate the microRendu playing in Roon, but no sound is outputted.

If the NAA doesn't appear on the list in "Network naming" dialog, then the problem is certainly network related and the initial discovery handshake between HQPlayer and NAA is not working.

Do you have firewall enabled on Mac? If you get a dialog from OS X asking if you want to allow HQPlayer to access network, then the game is already lost, because the packets are already lost while OS X is waiting for response to the dialog.

If you want to use NAA with HQPlayer running on Mac, you need to disable firewall on OS X and use a firewall device on your internet-facing network edge instead (ASUS router in this case).

If you already have firewall disabled, then the problem is somewhere else. Upcoming networkaudiod-3.3.1 + HQPlayer 3.14 combo may help in some cases...

Given the increasing interest in upsampling to DSD512 (for DACs like the T+A DAC8 DSD that can handle it) and the resultant demand that puts on computing resources, I have noticed using both Roon and HQPlayer on the same machine (PC in my case) puts even more demands on CPU/Memory/Network resources.

Has anyone tried to separate the HQPlayer machine from the Roon machine (i.e. could HQPlayer be run from the PC and Roon run from the NAS and still work in concert through an NAA configuration)? How else might one reduce the separate load that Roon represents (I'd prefer an answer other than "don't use Roon, use HQP in standalone...")?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Has anyone tried to separate the HQPlayer machine from the Roon machine (i.e. could HQPlayer be run from the PC and Roon run from the NAS and still work in concert through an NAA configuration)? How else might one reduce the separate load that Roon represents (I'd prefer an answer other than "don't use Roon, use HQP in standalone...")?

Yes, I run Roon on one computer and HQP on another most of the time lately, and it works very well, although my current DAC is limiting what I can do in the way of upsampling. In my case, it's on two different Macs. If you already have Roon/HQP integration working, I think you'll find it fairly easy to set up on two Windows boxes. (I can't speak to running Roon Server on a NAS — that looks a bit more difficult, and it's not currently officially supported by Roon, AFAIK.) Obviously, you want to run HQP on the most powerful computer you have available.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

If the NAA doesn't appear on the list in "Network naming" dialog, then the problem is certainly network related and the initial discovery handshake between HQPlayer and NAA is not working.

Do you have firewall enabled on Mac? If you get a dialog from OS X asking if you want to allow HQPlayer to access network, then the game is already lost, because the packets are already lost while OS X is waiting for response to the dialog.

If you want to use NAA with HQPlayer running on Mac, you need to disable firewall on OS X and use a firewall device on your internet-facing network edge instead (ASUS router in this case).

If you already have firewall disabled, then the problem is somewhere else. Upcoming networkaudiod-3.3.1 + HQPlayer 3.14 combo may help in some cases...

OSX firewall was off. Temporarily dropped firewall in ASUS router to see if that was an issue. Upon selecting the NAA, the Device dialog box remains blank, so the NAA is apparently not being found. Router sees the microRendu which works in the other modes (Roon, squuezelite, DLNA). NAA is the only one it can't seem to lock in on (for now at least)....I'll check out your next update and hopefully that can resolve the glitch. Again thanks for your efforts.

OSX firewall was off. Temporarily dropped firewall in ASUS router to see if that was an issue. Upon selecting the NAA, the Device dialog box remains blank, so the NAA is apparently not being found. Router sees the microRendu which works in the other modes (Roon, squuezelite, DLNA). NAA is the only one it can't seem to lock in on (for now at least)....I'll check out your next update and hopefully that can resolve the glitch. Again thanks for your efforts.

EDIT: Got it to work Miska. As you stated, it was a Networking issue where the NAA could not be recognized by HQPlayer at the desktop. Effectively, I had my desktop connected directly behind my cable company router/modem, and the ASUS router was in parallel to the desktop (also hooked directly to the cable company router/modem), not in series. I changed the ethernet cable order to Cable company router/modem> ASUS router > desktop and it worked. Thank you again for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Adam,

does HQP play after seeing the second window (i.e settings are ok)? Sometimes the first window message ("failed....") is simply due to the dac slowly identifying itself a few seconds after HQP first asks for it.

Given the increasing interest in upsampling to DSD512 (for DACs like the T+A DAC8 DSD that can handle it) and the resultant demand that puts on computing resources, I have noticed using both Roon and HQPlayer on the same machine (PC in my case) puts even more demands on CPU/Memory/Network resources.

In a word yes....

i run Hqplayer on my Mac mini and up sample to DSD with no issues whatsoever. Roon Server latest 1.2 build is installed on a Synology NAS DS415+ Upgraded with 8 Gb of RAM running on an SSD. I have tried Roon on normal spinning HDD on the NAS, and there is a slight delay 2 - 5 seconds, when refreshing album covers or doing searches. Not quite the speed of the Mac Mini, but still acceptable....with Roon installed on an SSD, no such issues.

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

1. Is there a way to make Roon and HQ Player autostart in Win 10 like the JRiver does ?

2. How to ebnable DSD to DSD upsampling ? (PCM to DSD 256 works, but all DSD tracks are beeing replayed in native sampling rates, so DSD 64 plays as DSD 64, 128 as 128 etc.) I would like to upsample all DSD rates to DSD 256.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I'm trying to get HQPlayer to play in NAA mode with a microRendu.

Here's my setup:

Headless Mac Mini (running OS X) is running HQPlayer, connected to the LAN. microRendu is connected to my DAC which is also connected to the LAN.

I am trying to get this all to play through Roon, but Miska recommended in this thread to get the NAA working without Roon first, so that's what I'm trying to do with no luck.

My DAC is an LH Labs Geek Pulse X Infinity.

I added two tracks that are on Mac Mini locally and when I try to play the first track, nothing happens. It appears that the track is going to play, but the Time does not change. Then when trying to play the next track, oddly, the entire app gets stuck with progress bar going back and forth. I have to force quit HQPlayer to get it to stop.

Here's a screenshot of my preferences. Any ideas?

HQPlayer-NAA-Preferences.png

TIA

- Gary

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio