IGNORED

HQ Player

A few questions. I have a LampizatOr DAC. It uses the Amanero 384. I connect the LampizatOr to a Cubox via USB. That runs to a hub and that through my home Ethernet to the server under my bed (headless). I upsample to 128 DSD. I cannot go higher right now. I get skips despite having an i7 4ghZ at 15-18% processor power. I think this is either an Amanero issue not being able to do DOP over 128 or a Linux issue. Anyone know the limitation there?

I also cannot play DSD native. I am not sure why, but I must use DOP.

My guess is that Linux is not recognizing the Amanero board as being native DSD ready. I had the same problem with JLSounds board although they had initially advertised it was Linux ready. It took some time before it was included in the Linux updates.

As for the DoP limit of DSD128, the PCM limit on the Amanero board is 384kHz which equates to DSD128.

Eric is right. I run DSD native to my Lampi without any issues.

The Amanero has no problem with direct DSD.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Newer -i. Right on the 128, so that means I am stuck waiting for a kernel update to Linux.

So now for the problem that when I shut off the DAC, the NAA disconnects and I have to reboot it and the server to make it work...

Shawn,

I have a Lampizator L4.5 and I follow a particular startup and shutdown process. I am using a HP Prodesk 600 USDT as a NAA which is always powered on and it is currently running Win10. I also have a Linux M73 tiny running Debian Stretch configured as NAA. I will try that and let you know if I am able to get the native DSD working up to DSD128.

Power On Sequence

Dac --> Preamp --> Amp --> HQPlayer

Power Off Sequence

HQPlayer (exit out complete) --> Amp --> Preamp --> Dac

If I forget to exit out of the HQPlayer before the next power on sequence of DAC I have similar issue that you describe, where HQPlayer is unable to find NAA. If that happens I just restart HQPlayer and make sure that it is configured SDM output.

Doing that basically defeats the purpose of going headless and using an NAA. I have to power on the DAC, then the NAA, then the headless server before playing music. Alternatively, I have to use remote sharing, which will require a WIN 10 tablet. Seems like a flaw with the NAA Architecture, or a reason to just burn 6A3 tubes for me for a long time.

Doing that basically defeats the purpose of going headless and using an NAA. I have to power on the DAC, then the NAA, then the headless server before playing music. Alternatively, I have to use remote sharing, which will require a WIN 10 tablet. Seems like a flaw with the NAA Architecture, or a reason to just burn 6A3 tubes for me for a long time.

Maybe flaw is the wrong word. Having the NAA die every time I shut off the DAC so I have to power cycle it and also restart the server seems to me to disuade the use of the NAA. When I didn't use an NAA, my MAC would connect before and after power off of the DAC without fail. Is this only a cubox issue? Is there a way to change the way the cubox Linux image works so that a reconnect occurs when the power/connection is restored on the Amanero board? Just questions/thoughts.

Shawn

Sorry for not be clear Shawn with my previous message. Both my NAA and HQPlayer systems are never powered off. I just have to stop and start the HQPlayer software, which I do using RDP client on my iPad which works well for me.

I never have to restart my NAA system or the networkaudiod deamon when I power the DAC on or off. So not sure if the issue is with Cubox.

I really wish that we did not have to stop and start the HQPlayer app for each listening session.

Sorry for not be clear Shawn with my previous message. Both my NAA and HQPlayer systems are never powered off. I just have to stop and start the HQPlayer software, which I do using RDP client on my iPad which works well for me.

I never have to restart my NAA system or the networkaudiod deamon when I power the DAC on or off. So not sure if the issue is with Cubox.

I really wish that we did not have to stop and start the HQPlayer app for each listening session.

I should clarify that I use Roon. Maybe that is the issue? Again, it worked with my MAC when I didn't use an NAA. Now I am using my iPhone to select music on the Roon App.

It goes like this:

Server under bed in bedroom running Roon + HQ Player. It is always on.

Network connected to CuBoxi (in living room) via wired cables.

CuBoxi always on (connected to my home brew LPS) and running latest Linux CuBox image from Signalyst.

USB connected to my GoldenGate DAC. GoldenGate DAC uses an Amareno 384 USB board.

When the power on the Dac is cycled, the Amareno shuts completely on or off.

I use the iPhone to select music. If I cycle the power on the Dac (or switch inputs), the NAA connection dies (USB and SPDIF disappear, even though SPDIF was originally a connection option (it isn't hooked up)). I have to cycle the power on it and restart HQPlayer to get it to be recognized. This requires me to reboot the headless server under the bed and to reach behind my Dac and unplug and replug in the CuBox.

I use the iPhone to select music. If I cycle the power on the Dac (or switch inputs), the NAA connection dies (USB and SPDIF disappear, even though SPDIF was originally a connection option (it isn't hooked up)). I have to cycle the power on it and restart HQPlayer to get it to be recognized. This requires me to reboot the headless server under the bed and to reach behind my Dac and unplug and replug in the CuBox.

You should wait at least 10 seconds after stopping playback in Roon before turning the DAC off or switching inputs. Roon will first ask HQPlayer to pause (-> playing silence) and then after 10 seconds it asks HQPlayer to stop. If the USB device disappears while playing (silence or audio), all kinds of funky stuff will likely happen. Once the interface is stopped properly, things should work again when you hit play after turning the DAC on or selecting the USB input again.

I use Amanero board on my DSC1 DAC and the USB interface is alive even when the DAC is turned off, as long as USB is supplying power to it. iFi iDSD Micro behaves the same way.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Been surfing around this website, sometimes a dangerous activity.

So what the heck is a Rendu or Micro Rendu and why do people like them or want one? (Tried to read the thread and review and do not understand what folks are blabbing about...)

I play ripped PCM files (2,500) and a few HD Tracks downloads on HQ Playered to DSD128 on a Quad Core Mini FW to Mytek DSD192. So, in the context of my player, what is this thing going to do that will make my tunes sound better?

Not interested in Tidal, Roon or any of that junk at this time...when Amazon stops selling CDs, that may change.

Tone with Soul

Been surfing around this website, sometimes a dangerous activity.

So what the heck is a Rendu or Micro Rendu and why do people like them or want one? (Tried to read the thread and review and do not understand what folks are blabbing about...)

I play ripped PCM files (2,500) and a few HD Tracks downloads on HQ Playered to DSD128 on a Quad Core Mini FW to Mytek DSD192. So, in the context of my player, what is this thing going to do that will make my tunes sound better?

Not interested in Tidal, Roon or any of that junk at this time...when Amazon stops selling CDs, that may change.

One of the key concepts behind HQ Player is that you run the program itself on a powerful computer in order to achieve the upsampling that's at the core of the software. You then send the upsampled audio signal via ethernet to a dedicated USB server (the so-called "NAA"). This server runs minimal software and ideally has high-quality ethernet input and USB output that are well isolated from each other. Nothing else runs on this server and no other devices are connected to it. The incoming ethernet signal and the outgoing USB signal do not interfere with each other. The result is a cleaner signal going to your DAC. It actually works, in my experience. The microRendu is specially built for just this sort of application, in addition to other applications where you want a minimalist high-quality headless USB server.

The Sonore microRendu is an ethernet to USB renderer. They are $640 without a power supply, $690 with an iFi supply. They allow for transmission of music files in several formats including squeezelite, NAA, DLNA/MPD, and Roon Ready. They were first released for sale about ten days ago. I ordered one myself and should receive it on Wednesday. The reviews have been very positive thusfar.

You might just like that Roon / Tidal junk. It is a nifty combination which offers a lot of music up which you might not listen to otherwise.

Understand conceptually that my Mini is grinding kinda hard, crunching numbers using @20% of its CPU to up convert PCM to DSD128 and having a light duty unit in between the Mini and Mytek might reduce computation generated noise. Wonder if I'd hear a big bump in audio quality through my 10Ts?

In my case I'm guessing I'd be required to hook up the Mini to Rendu w/ethernet cable and then connect Mytek with USB...which is concerning as based upon my ears the Mytek sounds more like music when it is fed through the FW input?

W/respect to the streaming "junk", I thought I could access that stuff through my Mini, which is connected to the outside world through WiFi, which is also how I control the little bugger using screen sharing. What does a Rendu do that makes Tidal or Roon sound better?

Back to USB, have been staying away from it for audio...otherwise I'd need another half dozen little gizmos like the Regen, Recovery, Intona, Mutec, iFi...then there are the power supplies for all these gizmos...then I'd have to get Curious about USB cables to hook up the gizmos...

Tone with Soul

Back to USB, have been staying away from it for audio...otherwise I'd need another half dozen little gizmos like the Regen, Recovery, Intona, Mutec, iFi...then there are the power supplies for all these gizmos...then I'd have to get Curious about USB cables to hook up the gizmos...

Just to clarify a bit...the Mutec is not purely a USB enhancer. It is first and foremost a reclocker that can reduce jitter. Yes it has a USB input but I use the AES and SPDIF inputs because as you said, I try to stay away from USB for audio.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Understand conceptually that my Mini is grinding kinda hard, crunching numbers using @20% of its CPU to up convert PCM to DSD128 and having a light duty unit in between the Mini and Mytek might reduce computation generated noise. Wonder if I'd hear a big bump in audio quality through my 10Ts?

In my case I'm guessing I'd be required to hook up the Mini to Rendu w/ethernet cable and then connect Mytek with USB...which is concerning as based upon my ears the Mytek sounds more like music when it is fed through the FW input?

W/respect to the streaming "junk", I thought I could access that stuff through my Mini, which is connected to the outside world through WiFi, which is also how I control the little bugger using screen sharing. What does a Rendu do that makes Tidal or Roon sound better?

I'm not sure you need to switch to USB. The FW connection is better than stock USB, IMO, and the Mytec works very well that way, so why worry? :-)

I'm not sure you need to switch to USB. The FW connection is better than stock USB, IMO, and the Mytec works very well that way, so why worry? :-)

Mini Rendu has an Ethernet input and USB output...so, I'm guessing that FW would be out with one to those.

Tone with Soul

When I added a Wyrd or Regen USB in the USB loop to my Mytek 192, I came to the conclusion that it (they) made USB at least as good as FW to the Mytek. The microRendu has a Regen built in.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

When I added a Wyrd or Regen USB in the USB loop to my Mytek 192, I came to the conclusion that it (they) made USB at least as good as FW to the Mytek. The microRendu has a Regen built in.

I've been tinkering with HQ Player on the trial, and will see how it works up with the Roon microRendu combo. @firedog, I noticed you ran a Wyrd into a Regen....did you notice a benefit? I need a home for my Regen with the microRendu moving into the main system.

Wyrd is between my iMac and Cambridge Audio DAC Plus.....

What are the minimum hardware requirements for Redbook-to-DSD conversion (128 and 256) on a Mac?

Is my 2009 MacBook Pro (2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 16GB RAM) underpowered?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I've been tinkering with HQ Player on the trial, and will see how it works up with the Roon microRendu combo. @firedog, I noticed you ran a Wyrd into a Regen....did you notice a benefit? I need a home for my Regen with the microRendu moving into the main system.

Wyrd is between my iMac and Cambridge Audio DAC Plus.....

I noticed a small benefit. Hard to tell.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

What are the minimum hardware requirements for Redbook-to-DSD conversion (128 and 256) on a Mac?

Is my 2009 MacBook Pro (2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 16GB RAM) underpowered?

R

You will good up to PCM 384KHz with that configuration.

For DSD, you will need to go higher with at least a 3.5GHz processor.

For DSD256 I'm pretty sure something like a quad core / Core i7 processor would be needed. DSD128 and above really needs a fair amount of processing power with DSD256 being an order of magnitude higher than DSD128.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110