IGNORED

HQ Player

Okay opened a g-mail account still don't understand how to email a log file.Im not a expert on computers

Type an emaii to [email protected] and in the attachments browse and find your HQPlayer.log file in the C:users/you/appdata/local/hqplayer folder, and add it to attachments and hit send.

No offense but if email is a challenge maybe you should not yet be into HQPlayer. It is not iTunes, and is not a starting point for computer audio. This is not a put down, just a warning of later frustrations.

Type an emaii to [email protected] and in the attachments browse and find your HQPlayer.log file in the C:users/you/appdata/local/hqplayer folder, and add it to attachments and hit send.

No offense but if email is a challenge maybe you should not yet be into HQPlayer. It is not iTunes, and is not a starting point for computer audio. This is not a put down, just a warning of later frustrations.

Thanks sent.Appreciate the help.Came from Mac computers were simple to use.
Thanks sent.Appreciate the help.Came from Mac computers were simple to use.

Sorry if the tone was too strong, but I do not want new computer audio users to be overwhelmed, cuz computer audio can be fun, or can be frustrating. We're here to make it fun (and sound good). HQplayer is the best sound engine there is IMHO, but is not what I would start a new user off with.

Again thanks for your help.Just received email that says no offense but if e mail is a challenge maybe you should not yet be into Hqplayer.It is not I tunes,and is not a starting point for computer audio.This is not a put down,just a warning of later frustration.How can 't I not take that as a put down.Not all of us a great with computers.And if you don't want to spend a little time to help someone you don't have to There are a lot of other great members on the forum that are willing to help and for that I'm great full.

Again thanks for your help.Just received email that says no offense but if e mail is a challenge maybe you should not yet be into Hqplayer.It is not I tunes,and is not a starting point for computer audio.This is not a put down,just a warning of later frustration.How can 't I not take that as a put down.Not all of us a great with computers.And if you don't want to spend a little time to help someone you don't have to There are a lot of other great members on the forum that are willing to help and for that I'm great full.

That is precisely why I helped and gave you instructions how to send an email attachment, and to what address. I took the time, and then warned you that someone at your level should start out slowly. It was not at all meant as a put down, it was some advice. I've been volunteering my time, doing videos, etc etc to help folks in computer audio. But I will step away and let you get helped by others. Good luck; it's a strange and complex hobby at times, but it can be rewarding, too.

IME there is a lot of misplaced mystique about HQP. It doesn't require particular IT skill or expertise to use, but rather suffers (not unlike other similar products) from minimalist documentation. For example, I struggled for some time in getting NAA to work (no documentation at all is provided to the best of my knowledge), but now I know what to do, I can see that the necessary steps could have been provided on a single page of installation notes. We shouldn't confuse lack of skill with lack of knowledge. The former takes time to accumulate, but the latter can be easily addressed via adequate step by step instructions, especially for a far from inexpensive product.

That is precisely why I helped and gave you instructions how to send an email attachment, and to what address. I took the time, and then warned you that someone at your level should start out slowly. It was not at all meant as a put down, it was some advice. I've been volunteering my time, doing videos, etc etc to help folks in computer audio. But I will step away and let you get helped by others. Good luck; it's a strange and complex hobby at times, but it can be rewarding, too.
No I really appreciate the help.Have to remember something that simple to you might not be for everyone else.
Miska, to repeat the question I asked earlier, I am thinking of buying Hqplayer, does HQplayer work with Dirac Live?

Thanks...

I do not use Dirac, but I believe that in HQPlayer you can output to Dirac's driver and then have Dirac doing DRC.

Obviously, you would be using HQPlayer in PCM output only and up to 192kHz. You can set it to always output at that resolution.

Another perhaps not so obvious point is that you can overcome these limitations by using HQPlayer's convolver and make a filter for free with DRC. :)

I'm using a Windows i3 laptop as an NAA and an i7 with 16 gig of RAM for HQP DESKTOP. Both are Windows 10 machines. The system plays beautifully, up sampling in PCM to 192hz, but the NAA experiences a delay in recognizing commands from the Desktop version, and very often, when switching tracks the music will stop.

What can I do to make the NAA more responsive?

I do not use Dirac, but I believe that in HQPlayer you can output to Dirac's driver and then have Dirac doing DRC.

Obviously, you would be using HQPlayer in PCM output only and up to 192kHz. You can set it to always output at that resolution.

Confirmed.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I'm using a Windows i3 laptop as an NAA and an i7 with 16 gig of RAM for HQP DESKTOP. Both are Windows 10 machines. The system plays beautifully, up sampling in PCM to 192hz, but the NAA experiences a delay in recognizing commands from the Desktop version, and very often, when switching tracks the music will stop.

What can I do to make the NAA more responsive?

I think that what you are experiencing is due to Win10 network communication, rather than HQPlayer/NAA.

Please try these two ethernet tweaks for Win10 (one at a time) and report your results.

1) Nagle’s Algorithm

Nagle’s algorithm combines several small packets into a single, larger packet for more efficient transmissions. This is designed to improve throughput efficiency of data transmission. Disabling “nagling” can help reduce latency/ping in some applications. Nagle’s algorithm is enabled in Windows by default.

To implement this tweak, modify the following registry keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{NIC-id}

For the {NIC-id}, look for the one with your IP address listed. Under this {NIC-id} key, create the following DWORD value:

• TcpAckFrequency and set it to 1 to disable “nagling” for gaming.
  • TCPNoDelay and set it also to 1 to disable “nagling”
  • TcpDelAckTicks and set it to 0

2) Network Throttling Index

Windows implements a network throttling mechanism, the idea behind such throttling is that processing of network packets can be a resource-intensive task. It is beneficial to turn off such throttling for achieving maximum throughput.

To implement this tweak, run regedit and modify the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile.

Under SystemProfile, create a DWORD value and name it to “NetworkThrottlingIndex” then set its Hexadecimal value to ffffffff for gaming and max throughput: ffffffff completely disables throttling.

My music collection is all PCM with 80% at 16/44 and remaining at 24bit / Hi-Res. I’m considering the idea of using HQ Player to convert PCM to high bit-rate DSD as part of a change to a (yet to be selected) new DAC. Most of the commentary though seems to be on the benefits of up-sampling native DSD to high bit-rate DSD. Are there benefits in up-sampling PCM to high bit-rate DSD? And, if so, then what DAC allow one to take full advantage of this approach? (The, potentially naïve, concern is that there might be some DAC that support DSD but which also filter thus negating the benefit of being able to do this filtering on a dedicated computer.)

My music collection is all PCM with 80% at 16/44 and remaining at 24bit / Hi-Res. I’m considering the idea of using HQ Player to convert PCM to high bit-rate DSD as part of a change to a (yet to be selected) new DAC. Most of the commentary though seems to be on the benefits of up-sampling native DSD to high bit-rate DSD. Are there benefits in up-sampling PCM to high bit-rate DSD? And, if so, then what DAC allow one to take full advantage of this approach? (The, potentially naïve, concern is that there might be some DAC that support DSD but which also filter thus negating the benefit of being able to do this filtering on a dedicated computer.)

There can be benefit, depending on your DAC and your taste.

What you want is a DAC that leaves the DSD "as is" as much as possible. Many of the DACs convert PCM to DXD rates then to DSD, then to analog. With a DSD feed many of them either just filter to analog or upsample to a higher rate DSD and then filter.

Because of this, many of us find that the best sound with HQP is obtained when upsampling everything to DSD, at as high a rate as the DAC will allow. But again, it is DAC and taste dependent.

BTW, I've also used HQP to upsample all PCM to high rate PCM, and think this also sounds better than without upsampling in HQP or with upsampling only by my DAC chip's internal upsampling. I'd say the reason for this is the superiority of HQP and the act of taking the computational "load" off the DAC and transferring it to a more powerful computing device.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

There can be benefit, depending on your DAC and your taste.

What you want is a DAC that leaves the DSD "as is" as much as possible. Many of the DACs convert PCM to DXD rates then to DSD, then to analog. With a DSD feed many of them either just filter to analog or upsample to a higher rate DSD and then filter.

Because of this, many of us find that the best sound with HQP is obtained when upsampling everything to DSD, at as high a rate as the DAC will allow. But again, it is DAC and taste dependent.

BTW, I've also used HQP to upsample all PCM to high rate PCM, and think this also sounds better than without upsampling in HQP or with upsampling only by my DAC chip's internal upsampling. I'd say the reason for this is the superiority of HQP and the act of taking the computational "load" off the DAC and transferring it to a more powerful computing device.

Much appreciated. How does one know which DSD DAC will convert a hi-res DSD input to analogue without any processing?

1) Nagle’s Algorithm

2) Network Throttling Index

Hi bibo01,

Thanks for your well timed Windows tweaks. I am currently experimenting with network throughout and performance tweaks for my ISCSI booted player PC running Windows 10, Roon and HQplayer at DSD512.

It occurred to me that I had not spent enough time tuning my network given the demands of the ISCSI configuration. These tweaks are a useful additions to the other networks tweaks I am working through. I will test the permutations of the above and report back if I find anything interesting.

Thanks again,

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Hi bibo01,

Thanks for your well timed Windows tweaks. I am currently experimenting with network throughout and performance tweaks for my ISCSI booted player PC running Windows 10, Roon and HQplayer at DSD512.

It occurred to me that I had not spent enough time tuning my network given the demands of the ISCSI configuration. These tweaks are a useful additions to the other networks tweaks I am working through. I will test the permutations of the above and report back if I find anything interesting.

Thanks again,

Larry

Glad to help.

Gianluca

Much appreciated. How does one know which DSD DAC will convert a hi-res DSD input to analogue without any processing?

Read for example this thread http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/multibit-direct-stream-digital-debate-18437/index2.html#post276788 , then you can further search for the mentioned DAC chips or DAC devices on the forum.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Being a Mac user I can't use DRC unless i bother to borrow a Pc ; could you please share your opinion if it's worth the trouble or REW is as good ?

Should I create FIR filters for every frequency ? if so, should the 176.4 be used when convolving DSD source files ?

Another perhaps not so obvious point is that you can overcome these limitations by using HQPlayer's convolver and make a filter for free with DRC. :)