IGNORED

HQ Player

Hi guys...sorry for the absolute noob question...I just loaded up HQPlayer on an ultra portable i3 laptop I have to try and compare to Minimserver running on another PC. What is a good baseline setting to try in HQP? I read through the manual and there are lots of settings which I will try but it would be helpful if I can get a good starting point. I would like to first try playing PCM then try converting everything to DSD64 or 128.

If it helps I listen mainly to folk, acoustic, and jazz vocalists.

Thank you in advance.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Hi... I have using HQPlayer on Mac with NAA for a few months. I have just migrated to Windows platform and plan to play non-DoP DSD.

Forgive me for asking some basic questions.

Should the ASIO driver be installed on HQPlayer player PC?

Does ASIO be used in a NAA setup? How?

Hi... I have using HQPlayer on Mac with NAA for a few months. I have just migrated to Windows platform and plan to play non-DoP DSD.

Forgive me for asking some basic questions.

Should the ASIO driver be installed on HQPlayer player PC?

Does ASIO be used in a NAA setup? How?

The NAA machine is the only machine connected to a DAC, so the NAA machine is the one with the dac driver (ASIO). The HQPlayer machine does not need a driver since it has no dac connected to it.

Miska one more ? For you.Still can't Hqplayer to work on its own.Would the external drive were the music is stored on is formatted in ExFat.Could that be a issue

No, it shouldn't make a difference. I have external Thunderbolt disk formatted with exFAT for my music, connected to the Mac Mini. Works perfectly fine.

Try this:

ASIO backend, no DoP. In main window set: poly-sinc-short-2s, ASDM7, 11289600, SDM (DSD)

Then try to play RedBook content.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi guys...sorry for the absolute noob question...I just loaded up HQPlayer on an ultra portable i3 laptop I have to try and compare to Minimserver running on another PC. What is a good baseline setting to try in HQP? I read through the manual and there are lots of settings which I will try but it would be helpful if I can get a good starting point. I would like to first try playing PCM then try converting everything to DSD64 or 128.

If it helps I listen mainly to folk, acoustic, and jazz vocalists.

You cannot really compare MinimServer to anything, because it's just a file server providing files over HTTP protocol. Or well, you can compare it to plain SMB/CIFS NAS shares... But doesn't really make any difference from audio point of view.

If your DAC has ASIO driver, use ASIO backend, preferably without DoP if the ASIO driver supports raw DSD. If there's no then you can go with WASAPI backend and DoP.

In Settings dialog, set limits to PCM 384000 and SDM to 6144000.

Put some content in on the main window. Then first select SDM (DSD) output mode, then select poly-sinc-short-mp-2s as filter, ASDM7 as modulator and 5644800 as output rate. Now you are ready to play.

Depending on your DAC and drivers you may be able to use 6.1 MHz DSD rate too.

You cannot really compare MinimServer to anything, because it's just a file server providing files over HTTP protocol. Or well, you can compare it to plain SMB/CIFS NAS shares... But doesn't really make any difference from audio point of view.

Well I got HQP working last night on my laptop. I just used whatever settings are default and compared HQP to my current playback chain of Minimserver >> Jplay. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that HQP sounded much more clear and dynamic. The music was very engaging. These results has now inspired me to try and get HQP embedded working. I tried using Muso and its web controller but I got very disappointing results. The web controller was very inconsistent. Sometimes I couldnt get it to play anything. Sometimes it would play the wrong track. Using Muso directly from the PC worked fine though but for me, I use a headless system so being able to access my library and control playback via my phone or tablet is essential. Anyway, if I get HQP embedded working I will definitely buy a license. Wish me luck...Linux noob here.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

A question for Miska, I'm contemplating using AudioVero's Acourate DRC. They also offer a convolver, which comes highly recommended by some users. However, a convolver is already part of the HQPlayer. How does the HQPlayer convolution engine compare to the one offered by Acourate? Is the convolution done on the GPU? For the time being I only listen to PCM files, max 24/96 resolution.

Well I got HQP working last night on my laptop. I just used whatever settings are default and compared HQP to my current playback chain of Minimserver >> Jplay. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that HQP sounded much more clear and dynamic. The music was very engaging. These results has now inspired me to try and get HQP embedded working. I tried using Muso and its web controller but I got very disappointing results. The web controller was very inconsistent. Sometimes I couldnt get it to play anything. Sometimes it would play the wrong track. Using Muso directly from the PC worked fine though but for me, I use a headless system so being able to access my library and control playback via my phone or tablet is essential. Anyway, if I get HQP embedded working I will definitely buy a license. Wish me luck...Linux noob here.

This is the Guide for HQPlayer Embedded (easy to translate with Chrome brower).

I just came across this on the arch linux user repository:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/hqplayer-embedded/

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/hqplayer/

@miska, does this mean if I install Arch Linux instead of Ubuntu that HQPlayer desktop and embedded is already included and all I need to do is enter the license information for both?

Other components:

I doubt it. That package is for audiolinux.

But audiolinux is built on arch linux. Sorry, kind of linux noob.

Other components:

I am the maintainer of the package and...audiolinux. Yes, you can install the package in archlinux, no problem. Audiolinux has some more extra: realtime kernel, irq priority, cpu configuration options for minimum processor latency already installed

Thank you. I just sent you an email.

Other components:

I doubt it. That package is for audiolinux.

I just sent you a PM...

Other components:

Hey guys. I've been using HQPlayer for a few months now and love it. I recently was having alot of audio dropout issues with my HQ/Roon setup. I simply deleted the HQPlayer XML and reset everything. No DSD, just PCM through my NAD C510 DAC. The highest bitrate I can go 24 bit, 192khz. My settings are Poly-sinc, TDPF, PCM. Everything outputs at 192khz (even for 16, 44.1 files) and it's working flawlessly. I swear my old settings output at 176 khz and now it's all ouputting at 192. I prefer 192 since when I switch to computer audio (youtube etc) it also outputs at 192khz per my audio output settings so I don't have any weird pitch issues going back to HQPlayer/Roon - which I had earlier at 176khz. Just want to make sure 192 is correct. I hope so, since it's working flawlessly!

No, it shouldn't make a difference. I have external Thunderbolt disk formatted with exFAT for my music, connected to the Mac Mini. Works perfectly fine.

Try this:

ASIO backend, no DoP. In main window set: poly-sinc-short-2s, ASDM7, 11289600, SDM (DSD)

Then try to play RedBook content.

Okay have been troubleshooting.When up sampling to Dsd256 with regular poly sinc filters all the tidal albums in my library play fine.When I try to play music from my external hard drive at this setting I get severe stuttering.Music at up sampling 256 at closed form or -2s filters will play at dsd256.All my files on my external hard drive are flac 24 bit 192.Still can't get my music on external drive to play through Hqplayer on its own only with Roon.On a Windows 10 pc.

This is the Guide for HQPlayer Embedded (easy to translate with Chrome brower).

I have also a short set of instructions I use on my i5 NUC running headless with Debian Stretch and HQPlayer Embedded, check the last section titled "Running the renderer as headless background task" utilizing a package called TLM which I'm one of the maintainers...

Signalyst - Installing HQPlayer Embedded

In my setup I just press power button on the NUC and it boots up in couple of seconds ready to play and pressing the power button shuts it down nicely in couple of seconds too.

I am new to the forum. HqPlayer use with Windows 7 and are very satisfied. I would ask politely if Miska can 'tell me if the quality' audio and 'better with Windows 10 and if you recommend upgrading. Thank you in advance.

I can relate my experiences, but it depends on how you use Windows to handle audio. If you are using WASAPI my experience and most reports are that Win 10 is better. If you are using your DAC manufacturer's ASIO driver I think the same holds true. I don't think there will be any difference because of HQPlayer, but Jussi can better answer that aspect.

@miska, any chance I can get a temporary license to try HQP embedded? I want to make sure I can get the renderer working before I buy the license.

I have also a short set of instructions I use on my i5 NUC running headless with Debian Stretch and HQPlayer Embedded, check the last section titled "Running the renderer as headless background task" utilizing a package called TLM which I'm one of the maintainers...

Signalyst - Installing HQPlayer Embedded

In my setup I just press power button on the NUC and it boots up in couple of seconds ready to play and pressing the power button shuts it down nicely in couple of seconds too.

Other components:

I can relate my experiences, but it depends on how you use Windows to handle audio. If you are using WASAPI my experience and most reports are that Win 10 is better. If you are using your DAC manufacturer's ASIO driver I think the same holds true. I don't think there will be any difference because of HQPlayer, but Jussi can better answer that aspect.

Ok, thank you very much.

Disappointed that can't use Hqplayer by itself and can't seem to get a answer why.Came from Mac and was able to use Roon and Hqplayer together and Hqplayer by itself.Since coming to Windows have not been able to play Hqplayer by itself except for when I removed the xml file which worked only for a little why.Uninstalled reinstalled HQPLAYER with no luck ??.??????.??.?

I am considering upgrading my PC which is currently i7 4790S @ 3.2GHz (65w tdp) to a i7 6700K with Gigabyte ga-z170x for HQP up-sampling to DSD512 and running Roon in the same PC. I gather from various discussions that in order to up-sample 2-channel to DSD512, I don’t need a Cuda offload engine. In this case what is the typical power requirements ? What are you using to power the PC - smps ATX psu ? Does anybody know if the Uptone JS-2 will be up for the task ?

Hi guys. I am trying to install HQP on Ubuntu 16 but I get the following error:

pre-dependency problem - not installing HQP.

Any ideas?

Other components: